Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Dvandom

Citizen
I had to start muting the "comedy" dinner scenes. I really don't care for cringe humor.

---Dave

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Okay, after today's episode

I'm sold on this Kirk. Thinking back to a few scenes, I can totally put Shatner TOS Kirk in them and it fits perfectly. Also nice little continuity twist there - Kirk in TOS said he met Pike when he was promoted to Fleet Captain, and it turns out that was just sooner than we all expected(and temporary, this time).

Also apparently next week's episode is
the Lower Decks crossover? I'm still wondering how the heck that's gonna play out.

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
Man everyone was kinda aggro in this episode weren't they? at first I thought maybe the whole ship was getting some low level effects from the mental stuff but nah just a lot of angy people this week.

Copper Bezel

Revenge against God for the crime of Being.
Citizen
Agreed on Kirk. I kept imagining Shatner saying his lines and it fit with the character, this actor's just not making any attempt to emulate the mannerisms etc., which is probably wise, because people have been doing Kirk impressions since the 60s and it's just a joke no matter how you play it now.

I liked all of the parts of this episode that weren't nebular space babies, which April called while we were watching it during the first establishing shot of the refinery. What a rubbish old plot to recycle. I know that the point of this episode was Uhura's work-life balance and Una getting over holding Hemer against Pelia, but there's no reason the episode couldn't have been just those things. The need to insert a stock plot backdrop just wasted time going through the motions of it, and it distracted from what character-relevant story Uhura might have really had in this episode.

April and I were both anticipating the bit where we got to see the Bussard collectors in action, and then we did and that was great. I still think they're annoying as a piece of tech cruft but it's good to finally see them in normal action. We heard about it a lot on episode in Voyager but never saw it from the outside of the ship.

The most egregious moment of having to fill all the checkboxes for the required plot was the need to destroy the refinery at the end. There was no hostile force, virus, or deliberate sabotage intending to keep the refinery running, just something that accidentally got broken by the guy who successfully sabotaged the refinery to make it stop working before they successfully repaired it. But just turning it off wasn't dramatic, so the lever got stuck. It's fully within the crew's means to replace the lever, but we need an explosion for the finale, so they blow it up with photon torpedoes. If the space babies don't like spending time in the centrifuge, I bet they ******* loved being heated to warp plasma temperatures. Utter nonsense. It's not like Starfleet can use or move the refinery, at best they could recycle the parts, so destroying it isn't even a problem, but what a complete nonsense excuse for some meaningless pyrotechnics.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Power was out last night until after bedtime. I will try to watch this tonight if I can.

Dake

Citizen
I realized while watching this latest ep that I think I like this guy better as Kirk than Shatner (blasphemy I know).

Shatner said it himself years ago, his acting style was just how people acted back then, so he never fully understood the grief he got. By electing to act up to modern standards, this guy (whose name I'll learn eventually) improved the character imo. He's more Chris Pine Kirk than Shatner and it's for the better. I can't see Shatner pulling of the interactions with this Uhura nearly as convincingly.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I realized while watching this latest ep that I think I like this guy better as Kirk than Shatner (blasphemy I know).

Shatner said it himself years ago, his acting style was just how people acted back then, so he never fully understood the grief he got. By electing to act up to modern standards, this guy (whose name I'll learn eventually) improved the character imo. He's more Chris Pine Kirk than Shatner and it's for the better. I can't see Shatner pulling off the interactions with this Uhura nearly as convincingly.
His first go last season didn’t impress me, but it feels like he’s starting to grow into the role. It feels like this episode, he’s really starting to find his “swagger” as Kirk.

Also, next week‘s big crossover episode will be directed by Star Trek alum Jonathan Frakes. It’ll be a 3 way crossover (of sorts)!

AgentOrange

Citizen
Holy shit, a musical episode with 10 original songs and music by Letters to Cleo

FB_IMG_1690060732727.jpg

Last edited:

Dake

Citizen
His first go last season didn’t impress me, but it feels like he’s starting to grow into the role. It feels like this episode, he’s really starting to find his “swagger” as Kirk.

Also, next week‘s big crossover episode will be directed by Star Trek alum Jonathan Frakes. It’ll be a 3 way crossover (of sorts)!
Pretty much exactly how I felt about it.

And I would've never imagined a musical episode, but at this point I'm willing to let them try anything.

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
I'll echo what a few here and said that, despite my previous naysaying about his guest appearance on the S1 finale, this version of Kirk is really starting to grow on me. He's a bit of a blend of Pine's and Shatner's Kirks, but also with a touch of Anson Mount's Pike tossed in.

Copper Bezel

Revenge against God for the crime of Being.
Citizen
I should have guessed this, with the shotgun blast of genres in the first season and the crossover coming now. Everybody wants to do a musical episode, right? Ever since Buffy did it, and then it was Supernatural and then Scrubs and so on. I am ecstatic to be honest here 😁

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
Okay that was pretty great. I was worried about tone problems but Boims and Mariner were just as chaotic and animated as they ever have been. The animated SNW intro was great too.

I did kinda want to the episode to end with us seeing more of the Lower Decks crew in 3d and maybe a call in from an elderly Spock to make sure things went well but getting to see the SNW cast animated instead was pretty great.

and hey directed by Johnathan Frakes so this was technically a 3 gen collab!

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
Didn't notice it 'til my second time going through the animated SNW intro, but it featured a return of the giant smiling space Koala from the LD episode where a character ascended to pure energy.

HQoPsUv.md.jpg

MrBlud

Citizen
I don’t know if it was meta (or not) that their behavior was portrayed as very much out of place and not belonging on that ship and amongst that crew. This is in marked contrast to the DS9 crew in Trials-n-Tribbleations who did pretty much the same thing but slotted in far more easily (brawl aside).

Top Bottom