Star Trek: Picard

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
Staying off both social media and YouTube to avoid spoilers until I see the ep tomorrow night is going to be tough!

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'm already having trouble sleeping. I'm going to be so sad it's over.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Not really a spoiler. Just something funny I saw on Facebook. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the most elegant.

FB_IMG_1681974451605.jpg

Copper Bezel

Revenge against God for the crime of Being.
Citizen
Well there we go. That was the perfect sendoff that the TNG crew never got. Congratulations, Picard, you really are the best TNG movie.

Just ... no notes, perfect conclusion.

Dead silence of confusion and awe across the bridge. "A lot has happened in the last twenty years."

tec

Maystor missspelur
Citizen
this season was perfect 10 out of 10
no nitpics no but what ifs just a perfect send off to one hell of a cast

Last edited:

Copper Bezel

Citizen
It felt like baiting hard for a series spinoff, which I guess is this Legacy thing, right? But it honestly doesn't have to be. Even if Legacy doesn't happen, the idea of this legacy cast taking the place of the "last generation" of heroes and having this reminder with Jack that the universe is still a big scary place - the word "legacy" is going to lose all meaning if I keep using it, but selling us on the future adventures of this new crew genuinely felt integral to seeing the old heroes move on to their desk jobs. Their kids got the "second star to the right" scene. So Q's an integral part of that, the universe rolls on, Picard's time in the spotlight is over, but the test continues.

Deathy G1

Citizen
There was literally nothing bad about this finale. Everything was done right, the Borg, the battle, the rescue, everything.

Between not hearing Seven’s command phrase and the stinger with Q and Jack, I’d be very surprised if a series with 7, Raphaella, and Jack on the Enterprise G (renaming the Titan was right choice there, instead of commissioning a new ship) hasn’t already been greenlit and was purposely being kept quiet.

The Borg basically being in a necrotic state at this point was a great way to use them without belittling Janeway’s victory over them in the Voyager finale.

Walter Koenig’s vocal cameo in the beginning, playing Chekov’s son was a nice surprise. I like that they tributed Anton Yelchin with his name.

One more thing…

Suck it Star Wars, Star Trek can do a trench run in a much bigger ship!

Axaday

Citizen
I liked it. I do have some complaints though.
The length of time Spacedock held off the entire fleet doesn’t say much for fleet mode. We saw hndreds of starships kind of intermittently firing. If you have a 200 starship broadside and an important job to do, use it. It isn’t even clear what fleet mode was for. The ships only seem to be doing what the assimilated crew members verbally order.

Similarly, perhaps a pacing or editing problem. Hundreds of starships targeted cities all over Earth but had not fired yet 10 minutes later.

At the end, Seven giving a bridge chair to an ensign assigned as special advisor was dumb. Also arriving to your first post and not knowing what your job is? Just doesn’t work for me. If you are putting him on the bridge stick him up there next to Crash.

Advance tweets said Ent F would appear later, but was not in active service because of some kind of system damage, but nothing onscreen substantiated this. She looked fine. Most viewers will assume it was blown up off screen.

i didn’t pay the sharpest attention to Queenie’s exposition, so it might just be me, but I wasn’t clear on the state of the Borg. Is this just one derelict ship that formed a queen and a plan? Just another artifact in slightly better shape? The other artifact’s fate was explained and seemed more recent than Janeway’s return, so I don’t think this one indicates anything about the state of the Real Borg

Last edited:

Copper Bezel

Citizen
Between not hearing Seven’s command phrase and the stinger with Q and Jack, I’d be very surprised if a series with 7, Raphaella, and Jack on the Enterprise G (renaming the Titan was right choice there, instead of commissioning a new ship) hasn’t already been greenlit and was purposely being kept quiet.
It hasn't been greenlit or kept quiet actually. They're hoping for a push like Strange New Worlds got I think. Matalas calls it Star Trek: Legacy.

But yeah, they'd earned that reveal by the end of the series - the Titan is a tough little ship we got to know pretty well and quite worthy of the name.

Walter Koenig’s vocal cameo in the beginning, playing Chekov’s son was a nice surprise. I like that they tributed Anton Yelchin with his name.
There are layers to that, damn. I love it.

Suck it Star Wars, Star Trek can do a trench run in a much bigger ship!
It's not the trench run, it's Lando and his plastic friend's dive into the incomplete Death Star with the Falcon in Empire. The trench run was about being exposed to enemy fire and timing a shot, this and the Empire run were about navigating a maze of deadly sharp turns at space ship speeds and narrowly squeezing into slots that might knock off a deflector dish without enough care.

Odd choice to homage Star Wars in a Star Trek thing but compared to trying to be Star Wars for the action scenes (and inevitably failing) I'll take it.

The Borg basically being in a necrotic state at this point was a great way to use them without belittling Janeway’s victory over them in the Voyager finale.
It didn't seem like even Team Fat One anticipated that all the Borg were dead; the mere existence of Borg was not a surprise to them when they found them in Jack's head. Nor last season when "the Borg" apparently attacked the Stargazer and company. If there are other Borg out there still, I have to assume they have their own Queen and didn't need another one when this one, the one Picard knew, dragged herself back into known space on the flesh of her drones. So Axaday was right - the reason Starfleet won the day was that this wasn't "the Borg" proper, it was just the one that mattered. I don't think it takes any and all possible Borg in the galaxy off the table.

i didn’t pay the sharpest attention to Queenie’s exposition, so it might just be me, but I wasn’t clear on the state of the Borg. Is this just one derelict ship that formed a queen and a plan? Just another artifact in slightly better shape? The other artifact’s fate was explained and seemed more recent than Janeway’s return, so I don’t think this one indicates anything about the state of the Real Borg
Oh, you're quicker than me. Yeah, 100% agreed.

At the end, Seven giving a bridge chair to an ensign assigned as special advisor was dumb. Also arriving to your first post and not knowing what your job is? Just doesn’t work for me. If you are putting him on the bridge stick him up there next to Crash.
Counsellor even. Like a nod to Troi on the bridge in TNG with a play on words. It definitely felt a bit unnecessary as setup. The fact that Seven was punking him by not giving him his assignment in advance and the way the scene played out was fine for me, but I felt like maybe they had that skeleton of a scene and a placeholder where they were hoping to think of a good job title and then just sort of didn't.

Also that job is literally what the first officer is for, and stupidly young first officers are a thing now, so just put Raffi on tactical. Since the captain and first officer are supposed to argue sometimes as a part of the job description, having Raffi as Number 1 is just going to lead to awkward couple fights on the bridge.

Axaday

Citizen
If there are other Borg out there still, I have to assume they have their own Queen and didn't need another one when this one, the one Picard knew, dragged herself back into known space on the flesh of her drones.
They have never been explicit about it, but the “Queen Picard knew” was destroyed in Earth orbit in 2061. I think the Queen is a program that any cube can activate as needed. Casting Alice Krige again is just for fun like casting Brent Spiner as Soong’s ancient ancestor or Lea Thompson as Marty’s great granmother (which is a little weird if you look close). I think an unknown tragedy befell this ship and they queened up to figure out how to survive and this was her plan.

Axaday

Citizen
Also with no need for spoiler tags, Worf was a caricature all season long. He rarely opened his mouth without making me cringe or roll my eyes.

Deathy G1

Citizen
It's not the trench run, it's Lando and his plastic friend's dive into the incomplete Death Star with the Falcon in Empire. The trench run was about being exposed to enemy fire and timing a shot, this and the Empire run were about navigating a maze of deadly sharp turns at space ship speeds and narrowly squeezing into slots that might knock off a deflector dish without enough care.

Odd choice to homage Star Wars in a Star Trek thing but compared to trying to be Star Wars for the action scenes (and inevitably failing) I'll take it.
Yeah, I almost equated it to the Death Star II run by the Falcon, but figured the X-Wing run was more famous. The Falcon's run is a more accurate comparison though, and my point is still valid since at 641 meters in length, a Galaxy class starship is waaaaaaay bigger than a 34.75 meter YT-1300 Corellian freighter.

Copper Bezel

Citizen
They have never been explicit about it, but the “Queen Picard knew” was destroyed in Earth orbit in 2061. I think the Queen is a program that any cube can activate as needed. Casting Alice Krige again is just for fun like casting Brent Spiner as Soong’s ancient ancestor or Lea Thompson as Marty’s great granmother (which is a little weird if you look close). I think an unknown tragedy befell this ship and they queened up to figure out how to survive and this was her plan.
Yeah, I was confused about that, not to expose myself thinking in such three-dimensional terms. 😛This Queen was very deliberate about talking up her history with Picard, though, as well as a rather Khan-like betrayal and abandonment narrative I wasn't sure of the specifics of. Thing is, her plan in 2061 failed, which means that from 2373's perspective, she died then, which was four years before Janeway broke the collective. I'm thinking there's a Battlestar Galactica thing afoot. Or more specifically, if you die in the Matrix you die in real life, because the body cannot live without the mind, but the converse isn't true, and if you die in the real world, you don't necessarily die in the Unimatrix. When Krige's Queen left the then-present and the collective to go into the past and must will have been dieden 300 years ago, they immediately made a new copy in a new body in 2373, and she went on to show up in the Delta Quadrant in 2376. But when she died the next time in 2377, the collective was a bit fucked, since that's what the Janeways targeted to escape. I'm thinking that as a result, she didn't have a digital escape hatch (and the physical one in Picard S1's "queencell" wouldn't help), so she had to put herself back together again physically with what was left of her after alternate Janeway's virus.

Also with no need for spoiler tags, Worf was a caricature all season long. He rarely opened his mouth without making me cringe or roll my eyes.
Not unfair. I don't think I ever cringed exactly but I did have a lot of eye-rolling. I think I turned a blind eye to it because I'd heard that Michael Dorn had been behind some of the developments in his character, which was enough to justify goofy samurai dad for me.

Last edited:

Axaday

Citizen
We didn’t see a Queen on Best of Both Worlds, but retrocanonically she had a presence. But the Queen IS the Borg. It is an Avatar for a purpose. There may have been a physical Queen at Best of Both Worlds or not, but see even though the Queen on First Contact remembers Locutus sort of intimately, recall that that cube from Best of Both Worlds was utterly destroyed. No Queen got away. The Queen has a continuity because the Borg do. I think we saw the Queen being manifested on First Contact. She didn’t need a body until she needed to talk to Picard and in that moment the Queen was manifested from a Drone aboard

Top Bottom