Power Rangers General Discussion Thread

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Well, I finally got around to finishing Cosmic Fury!

…Ay yi yi yi yi…

Okay, well, a lot like with Dino Fury, this is a series of highs and lows. There are parts that I really liked…and at least ONE part in particular that got under my skin, which colored my enjoyment of the rest of the season.

On the plus side…this actually has a plot! Things happen! And they’re things that we haven’t gotten for YEARS in this franchise, so that’s quite nice.

And I actually do think they integrated a few ideas that Kyuuranger had into the show rather nicely, when all is said and done. It’s not the same, but it does try to bring in a few ideas, and it ends up having…something of a similar vibe overall. With only 10 episodes, they managed to give us a little taste of what happened in Kyuuranger.

And this does have heart and care put into it…at least in some places. It doesn’t address EVERYTHING that I wish that it had. But…again, it’s only 10 episodes, I’m willing to give them a little slack about not crossing every “t” or dotting every “I” in the franchise. But, it does have it’s heart in the right place. And, while I may not LOVE these characters, I am…fond of them, mostly.

And I’ll even give them credit for giving all the main characters SOME sort of plot point in the 10 episodes. Even if a lot of the characters are sharing plots with each other. And…ONE of the plot points feels tacked on and is the thing that got under my skin the most about this show. But, hey, they did TRY to give all the characters something to do. No one got pushed ALL the way to the side.

But…this show can still be painfully bipolar. Tackling REALLY heavy subjects one minute and then making the worst possible puns the next. I guess I should give them credit for even TRYING to tackle a few of the ideas that they do. But…it kind of makes those darker moments feel trite when they aren’t given the gravitas they deserve.

And the biggest problem of the entire show is…I don’t think they allowed our main characters to really have strong “negative” feelings at all. Some…really dark stuff happens to these characters, but they don’t react how any “normal” person would react. They don’t get angry or sad or depressed or lash out. These characters seem to have THREE emotions that they’re allowed to show. “Happy”, “Stoic”, and “Mildy Concerned”. Everything else is pretty much off the table. And I get why, the writers and executives don’t want the kids watching to be sad or worried or start to cry. They don’t want parents calling them and chewing them out. But…if you’re going to tackle some “dark” concepts…and then you don’t allow your characters to actually REACT to the things going on around them…maybe you shouldn’t be USING those concepts in the first place? Because at some point, what’s the point of DOING those dark things if you aren’t actually going to have your characters CHANGE or REACT to them? It just ends up feeling pointless and hollow. And makes your characters look uncaring. They make JOKES about some of this dark stuff, and just feels WRONG to me.

Overall, I do think the pluses and minuses kind of cancel each other out. Leaving us with a series that’s…kind of middling overall. I can’t say this is my favorite season. But, this is definitely not the worst season, either. It’s…actually kind of a fitting end for the entire Nickelodeon era. I know we’re WELL into Hasbro’s ownership, but I feel like this still has a lot of Nick’s DNA ingrained into it.

And if this IS the end of Power Rangers as we’ve known it…well, it’s been quite the ride. I can’t say they didn’t at least TRY to give us a grand sendoff. I think this season was memorable, at least. And it’s been a good (almost) constant run for the past 30 years.

Although…I can’t be TOO upset about this. Because the Boom comics are still going without any sign of stopping. And frankly, I’ve personally been enjoying the comics more than the last few seasons of this show. The show may be going on “hiatus” for now, but the franchise is still pumping out new material. So this isn’t really a “goodbye” so much as…”enjoy your vacation”. Hopefully, after the break the franchise comes back stronger than ever.

Fair warning, I’m kind of mean to Fern in particular in this play by play. She really doesn’t deserve it, but…I have a bit of a “character arc” as the show goes on. And my feelings shift a bit as the show continues. I think preserving how I processed this show probably is worthwhile. I don’t know if others kind of went through a similar thing too or not. But, if you’re bothered by how harsh I am…I’m sorry, I think this probably mostly accurate, at least to my experience.

Episodes 1-3
Ep 1 Lightning Strikes

Planet Zordnia…a name that took them tireless sleepless weeks to come up with, I’m sure.

Well, we know where they spent their budget. Reminds me of the Legendary Battle in Super Megaforce.

I do think I like this new voice for Zedd better than the actor they were using last season. He’s just a better soundalike for the character.

I’m not sure if I like the new villains. Something about the design just feels off. Not all that into all the…tentacles. Why were these guys a thing?

The new grunts (Zeddinels?) remind me of the ones from In Space (Quantrons). I wonder if that’s on purpose?

A random weapons manufacturer was able to break a crystal created by ancient warriors linked to the very foundational energy of the universe itself? Oookay.

And the cameos start. Billy and Mick. At least they set them up in the last couple of seasons.

So much exposition. Wow.

Oh goodness, Squillia has a sideways baseball cap and a selfie stick. Ugh.

You know, since this is the first they’re seeing Zayto back since he…DIED, you’d think they’d have more questions about the afterlife or the Morphin Grid or something.

Zedd made a mind controlling poison that only effects ONE person?! That’s…kind of on brand for him, honestly. Continue.

Man, Zayto JUST came back, too. Now the Morphin Masters are going to have to use another Max Revive on him.

Wait…Mick’s full name is Mick Kanic? UGH! I must have blocked that out.

Man, the Morphin Masters go down easy. And my Pokemon reference early was apt! Gotta Catch ‘Em All!

Well, that thing has some interesting Zodiac-like symbols on it. I guess they’re getting a new Zord!

Planet where they got the Shogun Zords from? *One Google search later* Oh…I COMPLETELY forgot about this place. I thought this place was new. It’s been around since “The Changing of the Zords”. They reference the most obscure stuff from MMPR, sometimes.

Nah, stick it in the hole! I’m sure it’ll be FINE.

Oh…dude…did he actually lose a arm? That can’t be permanent right? Geez…mood whiplash.

Okay…they’re unfazed by their friend and brother losing a freaking arm in front of them. Cold as ice. Geez.

30 years ago…so I guess everything happened in real time, huh?

Okay…why is Izzy not by her brothers side right now? Shouldn’t she be REALLY worried about him?

Oh, NOW Mick trusts the Morphin Masters? The same ones that got Javi’s arm blasted off?

Okay…I know I shouldn’t find it funny…but the FIRST THING Izzy worries about is Javi not being able to play guitar. OY! Yeah…he’s gonna be real down about…not being able to play guitar…okay. It sure is a bummer.

Ep 2 Beyond Repair:

Geez…this…this is WAY too dark of a topic for this version of Power Rangers to deal with.

You know everyone saying everything’s going to be fine is starting to sound like denial…and maybe that’s the point, but I can’t tell with this cast.

Kinda sounds like Ollie’s mom is ready to give up on him.

J-borg…what are you doing? This does not feel like the time for this. Oh, the mood whiplash is real.

Yes, let’s not tell people about the alien warlord out for revenge. That couldn’t possibly blow up in your faces.

“Mom says locks are for poor people” This…this is coming after a ranger losing a arm. It’s a decent joke, but…it’s completely tone deaf to what we were doing 5 minutes ago.

Ollie’s mom is taking her son being mind controlled SO WELL. TOO WELL!

Izzy lying to her girlfriend…and going off on a trip in the middle of an intergalactic war and her brother LOSING A FREAKING ARM! Oh, this show’s priorities are SO painful.

I swear these characters showed more emotion over some jerk stealing one of Javi’s SONGS last season than him LOSING AN ARM!

Did they have Javi lose an arm just as an excuse to let Billy go on missions with them?

The villain gets his butt poked by a cactus…this mood whiplash is a lot!

Javi has a robot arm now. That’s going to be interesting to explain to their dad.

And hey! Obvious Deux Ex Machina Button! (TM) Buy it for only $9.99!

You know, this felt like a really good chance for Javi and Solon to bond…and they really didn’t do ANYTHING with it all episode.

I can’t help but feel like Billy being here all the time feels forced. These characters don’t know him at all. They have no connection to him. And their relationship’s not really being built up at all.

You’re…going to expose someone’s who’s being mind controlled to PURE morphin energy? That sounds like a recipe for a Cosmic Hulk.

Aiyon to Billy: “Oh, look at that young man go” *Snerk* Okay, that’s a good one.

I guess it took less than an episode for Javi to get over losing a arm.

Yeah, a girlfriend that can read your mind was always gonna backfire, but I didn’t expect like this.

“What my sister didn’t tell you that I lost my arm? That’s so rude TO YOU.” This show somehow made Javi losing an arm all about Izzy and her relationship with Fern?! Just…UGH!

Almost all the Ranger Statues get blown up. It was relatively easy. It’s such a glaring weakness with these particular Rangers.

And, yeah, Ollie’s probably faking still being under mind control.

Amelia took losing Ollie SO WELL! TOO WELL! No one cares about Ollie.

Oh, yeah, Fern. How could we ever forget about FERN! Everytime Fern isn’t on screen, we’re always asking, “Where’s Fern?”

Ep 3 Off Grid

Javi dealing with his new robot arm gets less than a minute of screentime before they move on to another joke.

Izzy’s being overprotective of Fern. Meh.

Oh, they’re gonna use the Morphin Master’s staff to relink to the grid and get their new suits. Okay.

Oh, great, space eggs. Do you want Facehuggers? Because this is how you get Facehuggers.

And now Aiyon’s going to turn into a were-bug. Better just put him down now.

I’ll admit, this is a decent monster design. Which makes sense since it’s actually a reused suit from Kyuuranger.

Well, the stuff going on with Earth sounds REALLY interesting, all these past Ranger teams stepping up…too bad it’s all happening off screen.

Okay, I’ll admit…I legitimately couldn’t tell if Ollie was mind controlled or not anymore…good fake out, show. The whole scene with his mom had me going for a minute.

We’re getting more emotional payoff with Aiyon trying and failing to make a cake than the ENTIRE arc of Javi losing a arm. I know I keep harping on it, but it’s not really working as a plot point for me

And we interrupt our regularly scheduled monster fight for…Squillia’s tiktok video. Joy.

“I am…extremely confused. And I feel…so old.” Zedd should not be this relatable.

Oh my goodness…BAKUGAN!

Yeah…not the biggest fan of the new suits. They look a little too…”pajama-y”? There’s something about the texture of that fabric that bothers me. I’m sure they’re pretty comfortable and maneuverable, but they’re a little plain in the “chest” area.

So you can change colors just by “feeling” differently now?

You know, Amelia just slid into the leadership role so naturally and smoothly…that it was actually kind of boring. She didn’t have to grow or change or adjust to her new role at all. It just felt…kind of dull? A little too convenient. I guess it’s a problem with only having 10 episodes, but it could have been a subplot in ONE of them. Some little bit of growing pains into her new role.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
And I had to split this post into 3 parts, because I'm a chatterbox sometimes.

Episodes 4-9
Ep 4 Team Work

Hey, new intro! Including the new version of Zayto who hasn’t shown up yet. And…COMPLETELY spoiling Ollie’s new villain suit. That’s a bit of a last minute flub. And yet…they make sure they don’t show us Fern as a Ranger yet. Fern gets more love than anyone else in this cast, I swear.

Well, Ollie has his new team of Monster Rangers. I really didn’t expect this subplot to last this long, I’ll admit. Having seen Kyuuranger, seeing some of these characters dance around like idiots hurts me a little.

I guess it’s kind of fitting to have this season have this villainous turn plotpoint, though. About half the cast ended up betraying each other in Kyuuranger, at one time or another.

And all the monsters are just…getting PAID. I don’t know, feels like a weird change.

Now, Ollie’s new suit doesn’t look too bad. It’s not amazing, but I like it better than the Cosmic Fury Rangers.

You know, thinking about it, I think it would’ve worked better if Ollie had “died” and then Zedd resurrected him, as a dark parallel to Zayto and the Morphin Masters. Maybe that’d be too dark, but maybe not?

Amelia getting stylish with the orb flip. Treating it like flipping a coin is at least visually interesting.

Mick…retraces his “flaps”…ugh.

Although, unlike Billy, I think Mick showing up and disappearing kind of works better. Mick always did work best in small doses. Even back in Ninja Steel where he could give out little nuggets of wisdom and then disappear back into the background.

And…now the trees are whacking them…thrilling.

The trees…pulled Zayto into a pocket dimension…fine.

Oh no…I’ve seen enough anime to know where THIS is going! Kind of surprised it didn’t happen sooner with all these tentacled aliens running around!

Even the Zeddinels are looking at each other thinking this is stupid.

Aiyon can’t read Zayto’s mind. Okay…did he come back wrong…one of these times? Or is this Zayto actually a tree in disguise? This might be the most interesting plot point this season.

“Did that tree just talk?!” Fair question.

“Enjoy the time you have left” Well…that feels meta. Given the state of the franchise right now.

But, this was actually a nice, relatively quiet moment that feels a little profound….and then Mick comes in cawing like a bird. This show, sometimes…

Zenith is what the Morphin Masters called Zayto when they brought him back? What does that even mean?

ELTAR?!

Okay, I really don’t know how this brainwashing is supposed to work. Why is Ollie confused about teamwork being good? He still has all his old memories, he’s just loyal to Zedd. It’s not like he has amnesia.

Ep 5 Rock Out

A prison full of Rangers. Man…that sounds like SUCH a cool episode or miniseries. Again…I wish we could SEE it!

And Javi’s writing a metal rock protest song against Zedd. The kid does have pipes. The song’s even a little catchy.

Oh….Javi’s into metal now…because he has a metal arm…ugh. It’s a good joke but…ugh.

A dragonzord? In space? How many Zords did Zordon stash throughout the galaxy?

They’re going to start a metal band….this is going to be a episode, alright.

Where’d they even get monster costumes?

Even in monster costumes they’re color coordinated. Nice.

I kind of like that Ollie INSTANTLY sees through this plan.

The sheer audacity of making fun of new toys.

Wait, why wouldn’t Evil Ollie take Fern hostage?

Izzy makes a bigger deal about Fern getting a scratch than Javi losing a arm.

I’m starting to get Clone Wars Droid vibes from these Zeddinels.

“Your mom’s about ready to pop” …What a weird way to phrase that right now.

OH…Squillia’s new crush is Heckyl.

Another good monster design! From Zyuohger.

Ep 6 Take Off

Of course Aiyon wants to surf a landslide. Why not?

Why are you surprised by a giant tentacle? This entire season has been nothing BUT tentacles.

Solon’s been captured by worms! Oh, there’s gonna be fanfics about this one.

Well, Zayto has straight up Force powers now.

So, I’m guessing Zayto’s going to ascend to become a “Sixth Ranger” Morphin Master by the end of the show?

Izzy’s always so condescending to Evil Ollie. It’s like she doesn’t even care that her friend is brainwashed.

You know these bugs ARE surprisingly creepy for this show.

Um…I don’t know how Morphing without a orb key works, but it’s…fine…I guess. Fern HAS to get the most special transformation, after all.

Wait so is Fern’s orb…Solon? I mean that’s cute but…didn’t we JUST establish that a Ranger’s color is determined by their personality with Amelia turning Red? This doesn’t really line up with that, since Fern arguably has more in common with Javi or Izzy than Solon.

Okay, Ollie blowing a hole through the torso of a worm was cool.

Honestly, I could see Heckyl as a guy into tentacles. It’s believable.

It’s amazing how this show has the time for all these cute romantic moments between Izzy and Fern, but…NOT FOR JAVI LOSING A ARM!

Power Couple…UGH. UGH! UGH!

I’ve been harsh on Fern, but I don’t think it’s her that I really have a problem with. Fern’s actress is actually pretty decent, if only because she’s ALLOWED to have a range of emotions. And the character herself is actually kind of fun and upbeat. I’m just annoyed at how the show…INSISTS upon her. And how she’s obviously the writer’s pet, since her relationship with Izzy is obviously getting priority over other stories this season. Her stories are given room to breathe, while others are shoved to the side or not even addressed at all. Fern is just a symptom of a bigger problem.

You know, not seeing a SINGLE Eltarian on this planet kind of undercuts the importance of Zedd taking it over a little. Feels like he just took over some ruins or something.

I really don’t get why Zedd is acting like Ollie’s “mentor” and giving him advice like this. He’s a mind controlled minion, not a protégé!

Ep 7 Operation Seasoning

We’re back to Earth. Not sure if this is going to be the start of the finale or not.

Why are the Squidrals only on land? They can fly, why wouldn’t they also be over the ocean? Other than budget, obviously.

Oh, we’re actually getting the Dark/Talon Ranger. Better late than never I guess.

Goodness, Heckyls backstory is going to be WEIRD for anyone who never saw Dino Charge.

“I changed my relationship status…FOR THIS?!” *SIGH* I want to hate Squillia, but she does get some pretty decent lines, sometimes.

The Rafkons still look SO cheap.

And Zayto reveals that using his “magic” is slowly draining his own life force. It’s actually a really nice moment.

“Find out if that thing is one of ours” Heh. Fair. Giant Solon DOES look like something Zedd would cook up.

Wait, did really free one of the REGULAR prisons and not one of the RANGER prisons?! What a waste!

And…even Javi’s dad takes the news of his son’s robot arm SO WELL! TOO WELL!

Okay, Void Knight gets a pretty cool moment.

Oh…they have SO MANY missed messages on their phones since they’ve been off Earth. That’s actually kind of a nice attention to detail.

How do they still care about their secret identities now that Javi has A ROBOT ARM!

Ep 8 Switching Sides

Aw…she cares about her daughter…ruining her company’s brand. Yeah, that makes more sense.

Oh no, Amelia’s going into Squillia’s mind. Nothing good can come from this.

Of course they save New Zealand first.

They freed one of the prisons with actual Rangers in it…off screen.

Okay, does this mother and daughter somehow not know about the alien invasion going on? They’re acting oddly normal (and entitled) for being occupied by robots.

HEY! Mucus and Slyther! I almost forgot about them!

Yeah, alien invasions will really but a dent in the circus industry.

Okay, Zayto just straight up wants to die at this point. He’s literally wasting what little life energy he’s got turning Mucus back to Sporix form.

*SIGH* Letting your friend kill themselves because it’s “his choice” still makes you a bad friend. This is a terrible lesson for kids.

You know this action scene with all the PR exclusive suits isn’t too bad. There’s some decent choreography here.

I’m going to have to check the credits, are Squillia and Mucus using the same voice actress? Is that the joke? *Checks* Nope! It almost sounds like they could be, though.

Well, at least Zayto finally told everyone now. But…again…they all take it SO WELL! TOO WELL!

Man, dynamite is easy to get in this universe.

Seriously, that didn’t work, either?! Ugh, this plot is literally going to be the entire season!

Ep 9 Master Plan

We really don’t need these exposition dump recaps when the entire season is dropped on the same day anymore.

Okay, Zayto’s wording was WAY too specific. Guy’s got a martyr complex.

Oh, so Ollie DID break free of the mind control. Honestly, it was hard to tell. Good job faking me out again…I guess. Although, I’m not so sure that’s a good thing or not.

Although, Zedd turning himself into a Morphin Master sounds like Jafar turning himself into a Genie in Aladdin. It SOUNDS like a good idea at the time, but there’s probably “rules” for these sorts of things that he doesn’t know about.

“The Morphin Grid can’t be destroyed” *Looks over at the Boom comics right now* Hmm…

Well, at least Ollie got a sweet leather jacket out of his time being a evil mind washed slave.

…Of course it wasn’t the real him. You SAW Ollie get hit with the evil potion. That was never even a question!

This is actually a really nice moment…but this is the SECOND time Zayto’s dying. And I think we all know he’s coming back AGAIN, so…

Aiyon…went WITH him? I didn’t even know that was a option. Don’t stand too close to someone when the gates to the Morphin Grid open up, I guess.

Do I even need to say it? …Well, I am anyway! They take all this SO WELL! TOO WELL!

This is by far the biggest problem with this show. They have all these moments that SHOULD elicit a big emotional moment from the cast, but we just get…NOTHING. Everyone in the cast is only allowed to have three different emotions. “Stoic”, “Happy”, and “Mildly Concerned”. There are moments throughout this show where the characters SHOULD be sad, or depressed, or angry…but they simply aren’t ALLOWED to be. The characters just shrug it off like water off a ducks back. Some of the character’s reactions to what happens in this show are just…downright WEIRD and INHUMAN! And I get it. The writers don’t want the kids watching to be worried or upset. They don’t want the kids at home to cry. But, if the actors aren’t ALLOWED to show any emotion over the scenes, they end up not meaning that much. And if they can’t DO anything with it…maybe it shouldn’t be in the show. Maybe they should have written something else. It’s just frustrating. It’s not an acting problem, this is an executive problem.

So, they’re going to combine the weapons. What a unique concept never done before in Power Rangers.

“Tubes. Tank. Big Chair. Did I guess right?” *SIGH* I just find Izzy’s sarcasm and genre fatigue fatiguing in and of itself. Putting a lampshade on something and then doing it anyway is NOT good writing.

Okay…I’ll admit it. Master Zedd is kind of a neat design. Maybe it’s the 90s kid in me. Maybe it just reminds me of the Super Shredder. But, it’s cool.

And…he gets absorbed into the canister by the Squid CEO who I’ve been doing my best to try and ignore all season. That’s…*HUGE SIGH*…so lame. I don’t want HER to be the final boss!

Oh, they’re doing a reverse-Zordon Wave from In Space, killing all the good people in the universe. At least that’s clever. But…I wish this villain was more interesting.

…Isn’t eternal war ALSO possible with a war between good and evil? Isn’t that what’s basically BEEN happening for the past 30 years? *SIGH* Whatever. Bajillia stinks as a villain.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Finally, Episode 10:
Ep 10 The End

You know, this is the ONLY opening where EVERYONE is in their new final suits together. I…guess that’s a nice touch? They did build up to it the entire season.

Well, Aiyon’s dead. Lucky him. Don’t worry, your friends will be joining you soon.

Oh…dem eyes are a freaky blue.

Mucus and Slyther…save the day….fine. Okay. Whatever.

Oookay. So this Zayto is either Zordon..or God. I guess we’ll have to see.

WOAH! Megazords out of nowhere! In 3D…not GREAT 3D, but hey, it’s still kind of cool.

Okay so we have: Dino Megazord from Mighty Morphin, Astro Megazord from In Space, Galaxy Megazord from Lost Galaxy, Ninja Blaze Megazord from Ninja Steel, and Beast-X Megazord from Beast Morphers. This is a…odd mix. But, I assume they WANTED to do more, but ran out of budget.

You know, I thought Trini’s daughter from the Once And Always special was supposed to appear this season? Again, I’ll probably just assume it was a budget thing.

You know…they never DID explain how there are still bad guys if Zordon’s Z-Wave really did reach EVERYWHERE in the universe. They sure make it sound like it did here. And I STILL want to know where the original “purified” Zedd is .

“May the Power Protect You” Okay..so, it’s Zordon. Nice moment. Well done.

“You mind read me when I hugged you?!” “It’s quicker!” HEH! Okay…that’s a good line.

UHHH…yeah, I don’t think unleashing a giant wave of corruption on the entire Morphin Grid is a good idea. That COULD do more than just get rid of powers. You could just…fling it into a black hole or something. Actually…wait, Wes and his interdimensional transporters exist, since he was always able to contact the Dino Charge universe. They COULD just put it into a alternate universe with no life in it or something. And Time Force exists, so you could send it to the end of time. Or just put it on whatever planet all the bad guys from Lost Galaxy onward were hiding out on to avoid the original Z-Wave. There are SO MANY better options! I know they’re on a timer here, but the other Ranger teams DO have ways to contact each other, and it still takes plenty of time to travel all the way back to Zordnia.

You know, Javi really deserves a medal or something for not having any PTSD for going back to the place where he lost a arm. They even kind of treat it like a joke here. Geez. And I never mentioned the moment where he oiled his own arm like he’s the Tin Man, but they really aren’t treating this plot point with ANY respect or gravitas.

Okay, I get that Javi losing an arm was just to give his character SOMETHING this season, because otherwise he’d have NOTHING to do. All the other characters at least got something, but Javi probably didn’t have anything until the last minute. But…this was a weird choice.

Well…at least use your ROBOT arm to put the staff in the exploding hole. That way you don’t lose TWO arms this season.

Okay, sharing the danger actually seems like a WORSE idea. At least Javi is using his robot arm. Does Izzy just want a robot arm?

So…Javi losing a arm was just…pointless then? All they had to do was SHARE THE DANGER? Way to steal Javi’s only moment, guys.

AH HEH HEH HEH! I kind of love that Bajilla’s gun goes off after she dies and hits the canister. It’s just so fitting.

Zayto does NOT look comfortable in that costume. The wirework was a little awkward.

He’s putting the Rangers…INSIDE the canister with the evil energy?

Oh…this looks like that foggy dimension that Tommy and Jason were in WAY back in Mighty Morphin. The Dark Dimension. Nice touch, if intentional, and I think it WAS intentional.

*SIGH* Why they gotta do Master Zedd like this? This could have at least been a cool final fight.

They’re really trying to “Talk no Jitsu” their way out of this?!

What…what..WHAT?!

Okay, I should know planet Nibyro (Oh it’s from earlier in Dino Fury). And…I guess this is a clever ending? Trapping Zedd with a fake Rita. But…*SIGH* it’s not cool.

But…I mean Zedd was already “redeemed” sorta? Again, the original Zedd SHOULD still exist. And wasn’t THIS Zedd brought back when he was at his “most evil”? So, would he have been under Rita’s spell at that point in the timeline? I guess they’re probably referencing the Boom comics origin for Zedd a little, but still.

And all the Morphin Masters are just…fine. Okay.

So, the Morphin Masters don’t even know about Zordon…weird. Noted. But, weird.

…Okay…fine…that goodbye with Zayto was actually really sweet. It’s a nice moment. This show DOES have nice moments.

So…how does Javi explain that robot arm to everyone?

And now Billy learns Zordon really still is in the Morphin Grid.

And Amelia has a new baby sister…named after Poppy…okay that’s WAY too sweet. I do like that.

And Amelia’s IN for a Zordon Ghost hunt. Okay, cute. Amelia really didn’t get to do a lot of paranormal investigating…AT ALL throughout the entire run of the show, really, now that I think about it. Just a handful of episodes here and there.

Overall this is a…sweet ending for this era of Power Rangers. Not satisfying. But, sweet and there IS heart to it.

I will say…overall, I think Dino Fury “Season 2” had the better finale. This finale…just wasn’t as exciting or as well paced as that one. We got bigger reveals and better emotional moments in that one. But, that’s just my personal opinion.

Congratulations, if you actually manage to make it through all of my inane ramblings. I really don't know if they were amusing or insightful enough to bother, but this IS a grand finale of sorts. It kind of deserves a deep dive.

Last edited:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Zeddinels
"Zentinels". It's the word "sentinel" with a Z.

Squidrals
"Squidrills". Cuz they're drills.

Oh, we’re actually getting the Dark/Talon Ranger. Better late than never I guess.
"Talon" was the original production name for Zenowing, so it was a misleading name given in the morpher toy.

Goodness, Heckyls backstory is going to be WEIRD for anyone who never saw Dino Charge.
According to RangerWiki, Simon Bennett stated that the comics backstory for Heckyl's Dark Ranger form isn't canon to the TV series due to Hasbro and Boom! Studios having not been in consultation with each other during Cosmic Fury's production. So how he got his powers in the TV show remains an unsolved mystery.

Okay, does this mother and daughter somehow not know about the alien invasion going on? They’re acting oddly normal (and entitled) for being occupied by robots.
I mean, it's not as egregious as that one lady from the Lightspeed Rescue/Lost Galaxy team-up episode who infamously told the little girl focus character of that episode "Now, remember, dear, there are no such things as monsters," when she lives in a city that is constantly under attack by monsters on a regular basis, with its own team of Power Rangers who are known public figures with no secret identities, and during a year set only two years after the Earth was invaded at the end of In Space.

...I may have watched Linkara's History of Lightspeed Rescue a few too many times. ;)

“The Morphin Grid can’t be destroyed” *Looks over at the Boom comics right now* Hmm…
Possibly further support for their being alternate continuities.

So, they’re going to combine the weapons. What a unique concept never done before in Power Rangers.
And the result is something that bothered ME: A combined weapon form that doesn't at all look like it's made of the same individual weapons that combined to form it. It looks more like the pieces were smooshed together and then morphed into a totally different shape.

You know, I thought Trini’s daughter from the Once And Always special was supposed to appear this season?
She did... kinda. We see her in the background of the Dino Megazord's cockpit when Billy contacts the Cosmic Fury Rangers from said cockpit. It's just that she's morphed and has no dialogue, so it's her but not her actress.

Oh…this looks like that foggy dimension that Tommy and Jason were in WAY back in Mighty Morphin. The Dark Dimension. Nice touch, if intentional, and I think it WAS intentional.
To me, it did look like something from MMPR, but not the Dark Dimension. Rather, it looked to me like the Time Warp that the Rangers got trapped inside in the second episode of Season 1, which was said to be like the Time Warp that Zordon was also trapped in while inside his tube. So it might be a bit of a stretch, but the inside of Zedd's tube resembling something originally from Zyuranger footage that was said in MMPR to be like what was supposedly the inside of Zordon's tube... feels kinda like the ultimate deep-cut reference this final episode could have possibly made.

And one last thing to mention. Billy mentioning alien refugees being brought to Earth and settled in Newtech City is one big setup for the status quo of Earth as seen in Power Rangers SPD, which is chronologically set in 2025, just two years away from Cosmic Fury. Newtech City is also where SPD was set.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
"Zentinels". It's the word "sentinel" with a Z.
Hmm...I think I like my spelling better. "Zeddinels" is a better pun. But yeah, not the correct spelling, it seems.

"Squidrills". Cuz they're drills.
I guess I was thinking it was "Squid" and "Cathedrals". Like Cathedral Ships in Star Wars or Marvel.
But yeah, again, you're right.

According to RangerWiki, Simon Bennett stated that the comics backstory for Heckyl's Dark Ranger form isn't canon to the TV series due to Hasbro and Boom! Studios having not been in consultation with each other during Cosmic Fury's production. So how he got his powers in the TV show remains an unsolved mystery.
...I guess I'm going to assume the comics origin is "canon" until proven otherwise? Because I really don't know when or if it's ever going to come up again?

Plus...this kind of thing is what the comics are MADE to explain. And it's not like what we saw on screen contradicted anything important to the Boom comics. So...I'm using Occam's Razor on this one, and just saying they're the same origin, at least for now.

She did... kinda. We see her in the background of the Dino Megazord's cockpit when Billy contacts the Cosmic Fury Rangers from said cockpit. It's just that she's morphed and has no dialogue, so it's her but not her actress.
Yeah, I meant the actual actress. I thought they said something about her showing up in some press release, but maybe not. Maybe it was just talking about Billy. Just me mis-remembering or mis-reading, probably.

Last edited:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
But yeah, not the correct spelling, it seems.
When I watched it, I had the subtitles turned on.

Though, funnily enough, Netflix's subs consistently misspelled "Zentinels" as "Zentinals" with an A instead of an E. That's a whoops on their part.

Shadewing

Citizen
Yeah, until we actually get a different origin, I'm just gonna treat Boom's stuff as canon for Heckyl. Its possible that if the series had been 20 eps like Bennet wanted we might have gotten some actual backstory for Heckyl/Dark Ranger then the quick recap that we got.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
While we're still waiting for Linkara's next history video, The Disney Brain has posted his own review of Cosmic Fury:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
This Twitter thread has gathered several behind-the-scenes Cosmic Fury info Simon Bennett gave in a Twitter Space:

It was a Hasbro Board decision to make Cosmic Fury 10 episodes only. CF had 2 months of filming. Netflix was willing to do a 20 episode season

Source is from Simon himself on Global's space rn. Gonna try live tweeting as I listen

Once and Always was originally a family / comedy special. Hasbro then wanted a more gritty show. Legacy characters could not make it, and so the story was changed again. Then Hasbro wanted to make it for families again

Because fight footage is time consuming, they wanted another 2 weeks for the 2nd unit, however it was cut. Simon also wishes they had more time and money for VFX work for the CGI Zord footage. Physical miniature sets would have been too expensive to use

Cosmic Fury suit designs (Evil Ollie, Cosmic Fury, new Zedd) were made in house as a collaboration between Hasbro, Toei, and brand(?) people. Original designs had more texture and "shapes". Simon has never heard of plex until he saw the suit complaints online

Helmets and Ryusoulger sabers were returned to Toei after making molds. Everything else made in house was either returned to Hasbro or trashed. Most suits that were in good condition were returned to the states with Hasbro. Squid villain suits are still with Hasbro

Ghost Ranger helmet remained Red due to scheduling reasons. It would be problematic to change the colors between scenes. There's only 1 of each helmet (1 hero/1 stunt each as well).

There was never going to be a Dark Ranger special. For permission reasons, the suit was not available at the time of Dino Charge, and so they wanted to use it for Cosmic Fury. Production does not read the comics and there is no consultation between the BOOM and the TV show

Toei did not want them changing the Dark Ranger helmet lines

The only time comics were taken into consideration/referenced was when they were designing the Morphin Masters. The comics are otherwise completely separate from the show

Zayto conversation is happening right now and I don't wish to speak for others, both fans and Simons alike

It was a Hasbro decision to not make Zayto a White Ranger for Cosmic Fury because they were afraid of it being offensive. Internally, the Ghost Ranger was considered a White Ranger by production

Looking at [Jonathan] Entwistle's work, Simon is hopeful to see many new things for Power Rangers

Legion is asking why have more Rangers died than the villains. The previous DF team, meanwhile other villains (Tarrick, Santaura) are redeemed. Mostly an unserious question and just trying to joke around

Production wanted Zayto to be a new color, since he couldn't be assigned White, because of Hasbro. Titanium was pitched, Hasbro said no. The champagne color was then picked. Hasbro approved and gave the name Zenith

Production had to return the Void Knight suit to Toei for a Stage Show he believes but then Toei returned the suit later. Personal note: the scheduling here confuses me because I'm not sure when this happened.

Simon's going on lunch in 2 minutes

Simon is gonna stay around for a week or so to discuss Cosmic Fury and then he'll leave Twitter permanently

Everyone's giving their grace to Simon for joining the space and for Cosmic Fury. Hopefully this helps put some fans at ease and end Power Rangers at a high note.

Simon admits he shouldn't have said he wasn't a fan as it came back to bite him. He loves making the show but doesn't really watch television nowadays

Simon says never go on RangerBoard or Twitter if you want to produce kids(Power Rangers) TV

If someone invites Simon to PMC and can fund the ticket, he'd happily visit

Simon's gonna leave for lunch. He will be on Threads still at least and gives his thanks for Power Rangers. While production has their intentions, it may not always land as intended for the fans and recognizes this. May the power protect you all and I'M DONE LIVE TWEETING

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
Finally watched Cosmic Fury and thought it was very good. The issues it had felt forgivable since it was such a short season. Didn't do a running commentary of it but I'm happy enough with the choices made.

Was weirdly happy to see Mucous survived despite her otherwise being a minor character.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
From the Random Transformers Image thread:

How about bigger and wider (I have a problem)?

2uWQkEI.jpg
Anyone here wanna step up and recreate the base ship from Cosmic Fury? Or maybe the Astro or Delta Megaships?

Top Bottom