Phenylephrine is finally recognized as nothing more than a Placebo.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen

I know this sounds like a spam thread, but I thought it was interesting enough to post here. Basically the stuff that replaced pseudoephedrine in 2006, in order to prevent people form refining it into Meth, doesn't work, and the FDA has finally admitted it.

While this outcome could lead to the FDA pulling phenylephrine from the federally approved list of pill and liquid decongestants, it is unlikely consumers will see an immediate impact, especially because the panel vote is a suggestion but not a binding agreement or determination.

So maybe we will get something that actually works back on the shelves after being lied to for 17 years by the companies that came up with this stuff. Not to sound to conspiracy theory crazy, but I am glad that at least we can at least now say how useless these over-the-counter medicines have been.

Deathy G1

Citizen
I really hope they pull it. Pseudoephedrine needs to be put back on shelves and in all the combo meds that currently have phenylephrine. Who cares if it can be made into meth? It’s not like moving it behind the counter made meth go away.

Dvandom

Citizen
Pseudoephedrine will not go back on the shelf just because PE is gone. It got taken off the shelf because it can be used to make meth, and the War on Drugs takes precedence over consumer convenience.

---Dave

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
That explains so much. Wonder if I can sue the FDA for destroying my ability to be productive during the fall every year since I got out of college.

Dvandom

Citizen
I'm tempted to ask my doctor to prescribe me something with pseudoepinephrine...if I'm going to have to wait in line at the pharmacy counter every three weeks (they will not let you stock up in this state, and this is a state law thing not FDA) I might as well get stronger stuff and a guarantee that it'll be in stock.

---Dave

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So with cold and flu season here again, I went to Walgreens and saw that they now have a bunch of the nyquil and Dayquil listed as decongestant free. In fact most of them are labeled that or High blood pressure safe now. I am just using the old stuff mixed with a sudafed now since I know that is what I really need now.

Top Bottom