Palia; a cozy, animal crossing like MMO.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
So yeah... this thing:

Palia

Been playing since last night, and I gotta admit, it's not bad. Grindy, sure, but it's an MMO, so what do you expect? Bright colours, relaxing activities, calming music. If you want to unwind, this kinda does it. Grind resources, cook food, build a home, make friends with villagers... No player damage, no enemies, even hunting is friendly as the things you kill don't scream or anything, just a puff of smoke and pick up a loot bag.

Graphically, it reminds me of fortnite; that style of graphics and design. That's not bad, mind you. The almost cartoonish look is pleasant and simple but still offers good detailing. It's fun in the same way animal crossing is, or the crafting dailies in ESO is. And it is kinda nice to to not have a kind of schedule looming: no timers, no rush. You just do as you will at your own pace. In some ways, you are encouraged to take your time, even walk away; as refining resources takes time and not a little bit. It's automated, so set and forget, but it's still a few minutes per resources depending on what you're cooking. 100 sapwood planks at 2 minutes a piece (on the basic wood mill.) is still 200 minutes (3 and a third hours.)

I am liking it, slow play, no stress, just collect and build. Do a little fishing, earn a little money, buy your next schematic, make better furniture and equipment. Kinda like "Fantasy Life" on the 3DS, but no combat.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Okay, so here's what's surprising me: The community doesn't suck. Online game communities are often just... just such toxic pits. But right now: this one isn't. There's isn't a lot of chatter; but it's all polite, courteous, useful. That alone is a nice change.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Doesn't suck YET. Hopefully it stays that way.

Been playing since a few days before open beta started. Relaxing grindfest. Kinda gather resources while running videos or MST3K episodes on my second monitor. It's also safe enough for my kid to play.(I do play with her and she can't play if me or the wife aren't around, but I haven't seen anything weird coming out of the global chat, at least not so far)

I'd say the graphics are somewhere in-between Fortnight and WoW than straight Fortnight, which given that there are several ex-WoW developers on the team, isn't surprising.

My biggest complaint is that there aren't many outfits that don't require a cash-shop purchase currently, but given that's the only thing you can buy and the game has NO other purchases(no subscription fee or up-front purchase either), I can live with it.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
No other purchases YET. Hopefully it stays that way. :LOL:

Yeah, but there's a fair bit of freely available clothing, and you can mix and match tops and bottoms and colour schemes. Plus, still in beta so probably more free stuff coming, and hopefully (eventually.) a way to earn the premium money in game.

Just occurred to me that they haven't done what a lot of betas do and pimp the road map... huhn.

Ungnome

Citizen
New patch adds pet cats(cosmetic style pets) and some new quests as well as bugfixes and balance changes as well as some minor UI improvements. I've apparently hit the storage limit on my plot... My MMO hoarding tendencies strike again.

Apparently they are planning content patches every two weeks going forward.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Yeah, I was playing for a few minutes just now, and I saw a dude being chased by a silver animal of some kind. Clearly a pet, but I didn't get a good look at it, cause I was running the other way and have things to do in real life... much as I would enjoy just mining some copper and fishing.

Just refine some resources, and sell the surpluses. Make money towards the next recipes, and clear out your storage.

Edit: Oh yeah! Z1 gaming on youtube dropped a tips and tricks video for palia last night. Most of it was common stuff, but he did a GREAT explanation on focus and how to improve it.

Ungnome

Citizen
Yea, I should have been doing that, but I wanted a full stack of everything.... Not sure why.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Don't worry about it, I get it. It's hard to repress the urge to get just a few more ingots even when you aren't even using the ones you have.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Oh hey, I just noticed on a tool tip: the storage capacity of your plot isn't actually a hard item cap: it's a storage box cap. You can have 8 at the max, but the iron storage box holds twice as much as the wood one. Yes, more expensive, but an upgrade path none the less.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
So, maybe not a viable upgrade path. 25,000 for the copper chest schematic, 250,000 for the iron chest schematic. There's grinding, and there is GRINDING.

Ungnome

Citizen
Lol, yea, I noticed that earlier today. Went to see how much it would cost, though IF i expand my farming and grow high-yield crops while doing some intense hunting in Bahari Bay....

wonko the sane?

Citizen
I mean, I've easily had 25,000... just not all at once. I usually get to 5-6K then go buy recipes and work stations till I'm broke.

Ungnome

Citizen
They just updated with a new content patch and the first time-limited event. Managed to get myself out to one of the fireworks platforms. Can't get off of it without teleporting home, though, lol.
VAL_20230830_2.png

Plutoniumboss

Citizen
I've been having a good time with it. There's some people taking it super seriously, but going into it chill is nice.

Top Bottom