Owning Movies On DVD

wentwood

Citizen
After I see the movies I need to for catch up it will be a wait to see the remaining movies on stream feeds that go to free watch range.

This is my catch up phase.

It will after this depend on what new movies I need to see.

If a stream feed has it for open watch free I'll see it there.

Plutoniumboss

Citizen
You know this thread is like the exact opposite of a thread on another forum I post on where someone has been arguing for months that the claim of owning physical media isn't valid because someone could break into your house and steal your DVDs or BDs.
With streaming nobody even has to break into your house. The service decides you can't watch something anymore and it's gone. You can't even call the cops and say "my stuff was stolen" because it was never yours in the first place.

wentwood

Citizen
Well this is a 50 50.

1 There are movies out that are new but you only want to watch once and stream is good in this case.

I use stream in this instance.

2. I own some movies on DVD if it's one I plan to watch later 2nd pass.

This is where I collect them to watch the whole set later.

I've watched Star Wars as Episode VII was coming out so I watched the first 6 together.

A second case I had done this was for The Fast And The Furious as Part 8 had been about to release. Then as luck would have it part 9 dropped.

As soon as Movie 11 drops I may likely watch them all.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
You know this thread is like the exact opposite of a thread on another forum I post on where someone has been arguing for months that the claim of owning physical media isn't valid because someone could break into your house and steal your DVDs or BDs.
I mean, if we're going by hypothetical theft, then nobody owns anything.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Relevant to this thread, I think.
Netflix ends their direct to consumer deliveries this month. After sporadic reports a while back about Target eliminating their home video and book sections (reportedly "select stores" at the moment), Best Buy has announced, after this holiday season, they would no longer carry physical DVD or Blu-Ray content. Period.

Echowarrior

Citizen
Netflix ends their direct to consumer deliveries this month. After sporadic reports a while back about Target eliminating their home video and book sections (reportedly "select stores" at the moment), Best Buy has announced, after this holiday season, they would no longer carry physical DVD or Blu-Ray content. Period.

My local Targets have definitely scaled back on home video in favor of books, much to my annoyance. As for Best Buy, well, that's one less reason to shop there.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Best Buy has been trash for DVDs/BDs for ages tbh.

I remember back in my teens, my local Best Buy had multiple long shelves with tons of TV shows and movies on DVD and BD and they had another shelf against the wall with even more stuff (that was where they kept the anime ones).

But that gradually shrunk to the point where the TV shows and movies section became just two small shelves basically in the back of the store and the last time I went to Best Buy back in like August, even that was gone and all their DVDs/BDs were just by the checkout.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
It's not surprising, I think it was 10-15 years ago I had a Best Buy employee tell me they were going to get rid of DVDs and Blu-Rays; his time frame was just a bit off. It is frustrating, as Best Buy used to be one of the better chain retail sources for anime, but that ship sailed a while ago.

What I really miss is the wall of anime at Suncoast video. Especially the murals that formed when all the VHS sleeves were lined up. (Don't miss anime on VHS, the switch to DVD was revolutionary for anime)

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen

I used to get a lot of exclusive Blu-rays from Best Buy, but I slowed down my purchasing habits when I got married and had kids. Can't have 700 Blu-rays out on display when you have little ones. Like you, just 6 years ago, Best Buy had a ton of movies on multiple aisles, that had a great assortment of films and shows. On top of that, they had their Bargain bins, as well as the new releases stands.

I am a bit sad that they are going to stop carrying movies, but it seems in line with what the studios want to do. Sell you a digital copy or make subscribe to stream it, rather than let you have a high quality 4K copy of the film/show.

I remember jut 15 years ago, when I bought my house, in my city alone, you could buy movies at Circuit City, Best Buy, Target, two wal-marts, Kmart, and a Moviestop. Soon, its going to be just a limited selection of classic movies/tv shows along with a few new releases until they eventually just stop that altogether.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
I will say this - I've seen a number of people online thinking that this is the beginning of the end for physical releases of movies and TV shows and I'm gonna be 100% and say this: I don't think it is, in fact I'll go so far and say that I don't think physical releases will die out for a very long while.

It is certainly becoming more and more of a niche option but when you consider the number of companies out there like Arrow Video, Kino Lobor, Shout Factory, etc. that continue to release films physically because they know there is still an audience that exists for it, I just imagine that this will be like how physical releases of music on vinyl, CD, and occasionally cassette still exist for that niche collector audience.

Oh and don't mind me just dropping some links to some websites that sell DVDs and BDs that are independently-owned businesses ran by collectors of physical media, just in case you don't trust Amazon and their shitty shipping with this stuff ;)
https://www.gruv.com/ (Ok this last one is owned by Universal so it's not independently-owned but a major Hollywood studio running a website that sells physical media in 2023? My god)

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I will say this - I've seen a number of people online thinking that this is the beginning of the end for physical releases of movies and TV shows and I'm gonna be 100% and say this: I don't think it is, in fact I'll go so far and say that I don't think physical releases will die out for a very long while.

It is certainly becoming more and more of a niche option but when you consider the number of companies out there like Arrow Video, Kino Lobor, Shout Factory, etc. that continue to release films physically because they know there is still an audience that exists for it, I just imagine that this will be like how physical releases of music on vinyl, CD, and occasionally cassette still exist for that niche collector audience.

Oh and don't mind me just dropping some links to some websites that sell DVDs and BDs that are independently-owned businesses ran by collectors of physical media, just in case you don't trust Amazon and their shitty shipping with this stuff ;)
https://www.gruv.com/ (Ok this last one is owned by Universal so it's not independently-owned but a major Hollywood studio running a website that sells physical media in 2023? My god)

I don't know if the music comparison is apt or not. I mean, there is a lot of Indie music being released on these niche formats like Vinyl, CD, DAT, and Cassette, but its not like you can go get the latest radio hit on CD anymore. Sure every now and then they will release a Vinyl record of a major album, but not day and date with the digital version.

I imagine it will go like this:

1. Stores will eventually drop down to new releases and classic films/ TV shows + any left over stock.

2. As sales dwindle due to the lack of availability, as well as the content creators pushing the releases to their streaming platforms a month after the physical release causing a lot of consumers to just wait until it gets to something that they are already paying for, stores will start to clearance out physical media.

3. With Online sales being the only way to buy physical media, companies will be able to justify not making them anymore due to low demand.

4. Now you can only watch the latest shows and movies by buying a digital copy(for full price even months later) or by subscribing to a subscription service(Disney+, Peacock, Amazon Prime, AppleTV, etc). Only releases we will get will be $40 blu-rays of older films/shows that aren't owned by the big companies.

Echowarrior

Citizen
I don't know if the music comparison is apt or not. I mean, there is a lot of Indie music being released on these niche formats like Vinyl, CD, DAT, and Cassette, but its not like you can go get the latest radio hit on CD anymore. Sure every now and then they will release a Vinyl record of a major album, but not day and date with the digital version.

I imagine it will go like this:

1. Stores will eventually drop down to new releases and classic films/ TV shows + any left over stock.

2. As sales dwindle due to the lack of availability, as well as the content creators pushing the releases to their streaming platforms a month after the physical release causing a lot of consumers to just wait until it gets to something that they are already paying for, stores will start to clearance out physical media.

3. With Online sales being the only way to buy physical media, companies will be able to justify not making them anymore due to low demand.

4. Now you can only watch the latest shows and movies by buying a digital copy(for full price even months later) or by subscribing to a subscription service(Disney+, Peacock, Amazon Prime, AppleTV, etc). Only releases we will get will be $40 blu-rays of older films/shows that aren't owned by the big companies.
I hope that doesn't happen, if only because the big companies will see some sort of profit in putting out physical media. Fewer distribution chains just means that they can crank up the prices.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I got my copy of Rise of the Beasts in on UHD 4K Steelbook yesterday. It occurred to me that it was probably the third physical movie that I got this year, maybe even the second one.

wentwood

Citizen
The last movie I got was The Fast And The Furious 10 Fast X Part 1.

I was glad to see Star Wars Episode IX The Rise Of Skywalker get a DVD release.

The other surprise was

Star Wars The Clone Wars
Series VI The Lost Missions
Series VII The Final Season

Both were stream exclusive shows which were included when I bought the complete series.

I also own all 10 Harry Potter movies on DVD. (Deathly Hallows was 2 parts)

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I also own all 10 Harry Potter movies on DVD. (Deathly Hallows was 2 parts)

Don't you mean 11?

Sorcerer's stone
Chamber of secrets
Prisoner of Azkaban
Goblet of Fire
Order of the Pheonix
Half Blood Prince
Deathly hallows 1
Deathly hallows 2
Fantastic Beasts
Crimes of Gwinderwald
Secrets of Dumbledore

Or has that last film not been released on Home media yet?

Top Bottom