Owning Movies On DVD

Plutoniumboss

Citizen
I'll be honest, a not insignificant part of my reason for owning physical media is Monster Rancher on PS2. Seeing what gatcha monsters my favorite movies or music generates is nifty.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
A relevant update!
With Disney, seemingly, winding down its physical media production, and places like Best Buy drastically cutting or outright removing retail space, Sony has stepped up!
Disney has signed a deal to allow Sony to take over their physical media business. This coincides with the shuttering of the Disney Movie Club as well.

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
At least Disney is pawning it off on Sony, rather than halting production entirely (as they've done in Australia). Their recent (very successful) release of Loki: Season 1, Wandavision, and Seasons 1 & 2 of the Mandalorian must've shown them that there's still a significant market for discs... especially considering Disney+ has yet to actually make a dime of profit. Despite Sony's pretty mediocre modern efforts (the Spiderverse with no Spider-Man films, etc), their true strength is their vast and impressive back catalog of titles... and Sony is one of the companies that actually still takes physical media seriously, so here's hoping they do Disney's releases justice.

Sad to see the Disney Movie Club get the axe (though it already did in Canada some time ago). Luckily, I have already own all the Club exclusive releases I'm interested in.

Last edited:

Dake

Citizen
I just wish we could get the movies without all the extra (literal in some ways) garbage. I don't need or want steel case collectors sets. Just sell me the movie in a slim plastic case - it's what I transfer nearly everything over to anyway.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I do want extras. I don't care about steel cases and junk like that. But I like sets.

The old Alien Quadrilogy set is still the gold standard. It has two versions of each movie: theatrical cut, and extended cut. I can't go back. I want that kind of treatment for any movie that can get it.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I like the Steelbooks, as they have a good way of presenting the movie, and look good on a shelf.

However, I have to put all my films in binders now as I have little kids that break things and would destroy a massive alphabetized collection.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
I have one steelbook and I don't understand what's so special about them. I just put all my DVDs and BDs on a shelf.

Only thing that sucks for me about physical media is I watch my movies on my laptop, so I gotta use an external BD drive because obviously laptops don't come with optical drives in 2024.

Yes I have an external BD drive for my laptop. Don't question how far I will go to keep using discs.

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
I don't mind steelbooks, although I'm not a hardcore collector of them. Unless I'm really in love with the artwork or the steelbook includes something the standard release doesn't, I'll go for the regular case as they're easier to replace when damaged. Years ago, I used to avoid Steelbooks more due to how prone they were to coming with dents (usually in areas you couldn't untill until after the wrap and cardboard backing had been taken off), but in recent years it seems like they're being shipped from the supplier with more protection/care.

What I really love are the special hardback slipcases favored by distributors like Arrow Video, Second Sight and a few others. There are some really amazing releases coming out these days, with fantastic quality transfers and great bonus content.

wentwood

Citizen
I own most movies I need on DVD up to 2022.

The last Disk movie I bought was Batman Vs. TMNT as part of both runs.

I saw all movies including Rise Of The TMNT on Netflix.

Once I finish the movies up to 2022 I plan to see it will be a wait to see who gets the new chapters open.

Mutant Meyhem is next but I'll hold on that one.
Same for The Batman Part 2.

Apart from those 2 I'm caught up for the franchise lines I want to see.

wentwood

Citizen
Past movies

I group shipped in the main franchise lines and filled in the rest.

I did see MCU up to Phase 4.

Once I finish

Batman
Spider Man VIII No Way Home
X Men
Scooby - Doo

Then movie franchises will be caught up.

Top Bottom