On Legacy Nacelle and fungus - a PSA for those who care.

Galvaplexia

Flamboyant Cuddles!!!
Citizen
Sooo I had put my Nacelle on the shelf and hadn’t touched it for about a month after I had bought it and fiddled around with it for a bit on that day. I remembered the day I got it (part of my present for my 40th!☺️) and that I went on here to brag about how my copy didn’t have any mold/plastic jizz/whatever the hell that white webby stuff was. I usually keep my TFs in a smoke-free, pet-free, regular-levels-of-temp-and-humidity home. I also live in a decently dry climate that is Colorado.

Anyway, I was craving fiddling with my Nacelle once again just today and picked him up…. Only to now find bits of the white webby stuff on it.

I’m usually very OCD about the conditions of my figures and notice every little paint scuff right out of the package and while handling them, let alone creatures living on them. So I would have noticed mold or whatever else on the thing when I bought it. Especially when it seemed to be so many people’s experiences. But there was none on mine when I took it out of its package. And now, a month and a half later, there was.

It’s mold, y’all.

Only mold can seemingly spontaneously grow on a surface that it seemingly wasn’t on prior. And I definitely didn’t cut my Nacelle out of a industrial plastic-forming machine between now and when I bought it about a month ago.

For some reason, either the type of plastic that makes up Nacelle’s wings is an accidentally susceptible substrate for this type of mold type that’s environmentally endemic, or the specific place the entire batch of Nacelles were made in has a mold infestation throughout its entire production line. And if the latter, just because you’ve received one w/o the stuff initially doesn’t necessarily mean the spores still aren’t attached onto the wings, albeit dormant and invisible to hatch a little later.

Anyway, I recommend whoever’s got one wipe down its wings with some sort of cleaning solution just in case. I used alcohol wipes on mine. Cus even though you might not see anything, there’s a high chance that it’s there and waiting to hatch…

Platypus Prime

Citizen
Bizarre. I stuck one under a scope and it looked like a large amount of oil and congealing (the small amount of white didn't shred, it just slimed). I do wonder, now...

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Bizarre. I stuck one under a scope and it looked like a large amount of oil and congealing (the small amount of white didn't shred, it just slimed). I do wonder, now...
Stick Galvaplexia's copy under a microscope and see if it yields any new results. ;)

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
Some old toys would leak plastizier over time, giving them a slimy feeling. Is it possible that this particular plastic is just breaking down somehow? We know Hasbro's quality assurance is down the tubes these days.

Because while mold and stuff likes to grow in various places, it kind of needs to eat something in order to do that and plastic ain't very tasty unless you're a 2 year old or a very specific type of microbe.

Magnusblitz

Citizen
Some old toys would leak plastizier over time, giving them a slimy feeling. Is it possible that this particular plastic is just breaking down somehow?

This does seem more likely to me. Has this issue been reported for any toys besides Nacelle? I haven't heard of any; and I'd be surprised that Nacelle would be the only toy made at a certain production factory (but I may well be wrong, I dunno how things are set up). If it was mold in the factory, and other toys were made there, one would think it'd be showing up on other toys. But if it was something like a bad batch of an ingredient used for only Nacelle...

Though I guess there is the possibility as Galvaplexia says, maybe there are other toys with it, but only something in Nacelle's wings is activating it/more susceptible etc.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Has no one put this stuff under a microscope yet? Taken it out to the local college's science lab or something?

Galvaplexia

Flamboyant Cuddles!!!
Citizen
Has no one put this stuff under a microscope yet? Taken it out to the local college's science lab or something?
I guess I could have, but I just nuked it with an alcohol wipe cus it grossed me the eff out when I saw it.😭

Nope. Legacy Nacelle is so far the first, last, and only documented case of this having ever happened to any Transformers toy.

Not sure if you’re being tongue-in-cheek or sarcastic, but I’ve actually seen this on a variety of different TFs throughout the years. Not on any one consistently, just mostly when there’s nearby water damage on packaging, or toys kept in mostly gross and janky environments.

The Nacelle moldy wing thing, in that it’s just Nacelle and only on the underside of the wings and to the level it’s widespread is a first for sure, especially completely new out the (dry, undamaged) package.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
Nacelle was Acid Storm the whole time. Or at least the active ingredient.

48389779817_cf02957e30_o.jpg

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I just love that, in a few years, this will be Nacelle's "thing." Like, the most memorable thing about this character will be that he's "the weird fungus guy."
A shame, considering his "thing" was originally supposed to be "the Seeker who got a unique body upgrade like no other".

Last edited:

LordGigaIce

words pain, funny man
Citizen
A shame, considering his "thing" was originally supposed to be "the Seeker who got a unique body upgrade like no other".
I was wondering what to do with my Coronation Starscream (bought him for the accessories, I like the deco on the ER version better) and it dawned on me. His sightly brown-ish helmet would look great on Sandstorm's body. So I popped Sandstorm's head off, popped Cor 'Screamer's head on, and yeah it looked great!
Then I went to transform him. Didn't work.

The Coneheads and regular Seekers use different nosecones. One fits the standard Seeker head, the other fits the faux Conehead. They don't work with swapped heads. At least the regular Seeker head in the Conehead nosecone doesn't work.
That's why I think we didn't get a proper Nacelle. It's not a matter of just putting the regular Seeker head on the Thrust body. You'd have to switch out the entire nosecone/cockpit section, which may be too much of a hassle mould-wise.

So I think when they realized that that was too much trouble they decided to go the easy if uninteresting route of doing "pre-Earth" Nacelle from the Siege mould.

Top Bottom