Oddest or most random "Holy Grails"

TriBlurr

Citizen
Here's a fun question. What's the oddest or maybe most random figure that you'd still like to add to your collection?

For me it's probably Universe Frostbite.
Universe Blastcharge is a close second.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
One of the Beast Machines 'big head' Megatrons, whichever does NOT have GPS. It would probably not be hard but I haven't had an interest in paying ebay prices for a decades old toy I'd just want to go with my Encore Maximus.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I've probably got a bajillion oddball grails but off the top of my head, one would be Mutant Beast Wars Razor Claw.

One of the Beast Machines 'big head' Megatrons, whichever does NOT have GPS. It would probably not be hard but I haven't had an interest in paying ebay prices for a decades old toy I'd just want to go with my Encore Maximus.
Megabolt is the only one with GPS. Megatron Megabolt and Megahead Megatron should both be safe.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
I want the Q-Transformers My Melody and Hello Kitty figures because I am a big fan of Sanrio and My Melo and Hello Kitty are two of my favorite Sanrio characters so obviously I'd want to get hold of the official Transformers crossover merch of them.

Galvaplexia

Flamboyant Cuddles!!!
Citizen
Hmm… dunno. All my Holy Grails I’ve either just went and effin’ bought it NO MATTER THE COST… (like Animorphs Taxxon, woooo that was a wallop) or I just see if the stupid thing doesn’t still cost half a mortgage and if it does I just decide I don’t want it anymore (like either Botcon version of BW Megs; like, really, guys??).

Plus, it also changes, depending on a lot of things. Like I’ve been jaded in the number of “Grails” I’ve obtained, in that so many of them ended up being “the journey, not the destination”-types, cus once I get them, they’re janky AF. Like their joints are a jambly loose mess, or it’s so badly engineered, that I’m either reticent to touch it as it getting in the way of itself frustrates me to the point of wanting to chuck said “Grail” into a brick wall, or I’m too afraid to touch it lest my playing with it wear it down to a nub… which makes its joints end up being a jambly loose mess. Like when I got G1 Grimlock. It meant so much for me to try and get it, but once I actually got it, it meant nothing. It’s literally rotting in a bag in a drawer in the garage, all complete and everything, and hasn’t been touched once since I brought it home over 4 years ago. I didn’t even transform it. That thing was the reason I got into Transformers collecting. But once I got it? My husband asked me how it felt, since he knew how much it meant to me; he even paid for it for me as a gift. I remember forcing a smile and making a sound that was between a, “Heh” and a, “Meh”. I’m happier with my SS 86 (kinda) and my Cacus coming in the mail (sorta). I feel like I’ve gotten so used to the act of searching for a Grimlock, it feels better to just perpetually search for one, rather than actually be happy with any version that’s ever been made that I actually want, which is surprisingly few.

Guess the idea of attempting to obtain the perfect Grimlock that may exist out there is better than actually obtaining a Grimlock or having in-hand any version of Grimlock that actually exists, as I’ve been “meh” about all of them so far.

Feeling weirdly existential right now as it’s 39 degrees and raining outside. 🤮

Last edited:

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
I’m not sure I have a Transformers Grail, maybe a grail-shaped beacon on the roof?

...but if we factor in Machine Robo, then the 747 Robo and the Australian Machine Men version of the Battle Base, and the mythical Gobotron Fortress.

Sciflyer

Two arms and one smile
Citizen
I'm not so sure that I have a grail anymore. A few years ago, I was able to get a G1 Overlord on a trip to Japan, and he was kind of the one toy that I pined for for years. I still love it a lot though, and I think that it is a pretty fantastic G1 toy in general.

I don't know how random this is, but I've been wanting a G1 Jetfire box with the Styrofoam insert and all for quite some time. If that can be construed as an "odd or random" grail, then that's what I will go with.

Salt-Man Z

that is not dead which can eternal lie
Citizen
This would be a relatively-easy grail for me to chase: Kaybee-exclusive Jhiaxus (the orange BM Jetstorm repaint) since it's (I believe) the only version I'm missing of one of my favorite molds, and I still regret passing him up the one time I saw him in-store.

Slightly more difficult: Playskool Go-Bots Fast-Bot and Mototron Racer, 2/3 of the final wave of Go-Bots that was never released stateside but showed up in Europe. (I managed to snag the third, a new mold Speed-Bot, via eBay.)

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I would still like to get Beast Machines Optimus Primal and Mutants IceBird. Neither are terribly rare (except IceBird, but there doesn't seem to be much demand). It's one of those things I never just got around to getting them. Still haven't, probably because I keep getting distracted by all the new toys coming out.

engledogg

Recovering Completist
Citizen
Rally's/Checkers Rhinox.

I fully realize that it's an overvalued piece of crap, but the fact that that...thing has eluded me for so many years really bugs the heck out of me.

MIKE
engledogg

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
This would be a relatively-easy grail for me to chase: Kaybee-exclusive Jhiaxus (the orange BM Jetstorm repaint) since it's (I believe) the only version I'm missing of one of my favorite molds, and I still regret passing him up the one time I saw him in-store.
Heh, just so happens I bought one loose (but complete and in good condition) back at last year's RoboCon.

Never ever saw one in stores, though, so you got me there.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I've been very lucky with my older, more traditional grails. Some of the few on that list are Noisemaze Production Type and UW-EX Grand Scourge, and I guess the Universe EU Minicon 8-pack, and those are very Not Likely to happen at this point.

Of late I've gotten into smaller stuff (literally and in the public eye) that is still annoyingly hard to track down (mostly because I'm super late to the party on them):
  • Cybertron Satellite Safety Prime, to go with my customs.
  • A few RID2015 Mini-Cons, mostly from the Activators/big figures (Windstrike, Aerobolt, Hi-Test, Trickout).
  • Beast Machines Hammerstrike.
  • CD pack-in High Wire/Wheelie (I got the other two on random junk tables, would be a neat trick to have the last one also be a serendipitous find).
  • AoE Legendary Weapons campaign, uh weapons.
  • AoE clear dinos campaign Microns.

MrBlud

Citizen
I still need the Million Publishing Ghost Starscream to have every single released version of that mold.

I’ve always wanted a Doubleclouder too. The colors are :chef’s kiss:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Okay I thought of a weird one.

I want an Onyx Primal. I should have gotten one the last time a big batch turned up. It's just so unloved, and that makes me love it. The ultimate prize would be a dealer exclusive one.

Plutoniumboss

Citizen
I don't know right now. For years my crazy grails were the Headmaster Warriors, but I picked up a really nice repro set of those not too long ago. (There's no way I'd be able to acquire a legit full set of those guys at anything resembling a price I could afford.)

The Phazer

Citizen
Dark Nitro Convoy. I'm generally not fussed about random Japanese exclusive black repaints, but he was in the show for like two seconds, so I'd like one.

Also the last wave of Cybertron mini-cons, but I guess they're not that odd or random given they are stupidly rare.

I have a few third party add on kits that I wish I'd picked up and are now very hard/expensive to find. I wish DNA designs would reissue a few things where the toy they're for has been reissued.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
My holy grails are almost certainly gonna remain so, because they're just too expensive for me to buy. The old transforming snub nosed revolver and Magnum from the 80s and the G.A.D.E.P. Omega Supreme Gardian Robot recolor.

-ZacWilliam, my last one is the original Trainbots toys, still dreaming of a reissue.

Top Bottom