Nobody has the intention to invade Ukraine

Ironbite4

Citizen
Far be it from me to doubt FB friend but...he doesn't want that. He wants the whole of Ukraine back under Russian control. He wants the USSR back. And he's not gonna stop until he gets the whole country.

Ironbite-and that's all that's keeping this war going.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Yeah, I get the sentiments behind those who've been making parallels between this and Bush invading Iraq (especially in terms of how the rest of the world responded), but they are also not literally the same in all aspects. Bush wasn't trying to make Iraq the 51st state, and Putin isn't going to "liberate" Ukraine's oil industry and then declare Mission Accomplished.

Shattered Trousers

That thing Ratchet needed.
Citizen
I asked the same question, pretty much verbatim, when my boss discussed this with me yesterday.
https://www.reuters.com/business/en...n-gas-must-be-paid-roubles-friday-2022-03-31/

Russia supplies about a third of Europe's gas, so if that flow is halted Europe will be facing an energy crisis.
If the flow continues there will be a direct flow of rubles into Russia, strengthening their economy and undermining the sanctions against Russia.

Will the, so-called "unfriendly" countries stand firm against this invasion attempt when it begins to directly impact them?

~L~

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Europe is also pushing hard for clean energy, so they'll probably just dump more funding into that and hope for the best.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
If only fusion power wasn't perpetually 40 years in the future.

Anonymous X

Citizen
Slight aside, but given this is a generally left-leaning forum, I’m relieved that I’ve not seen any pro-Russia, “it’s neoliberal EU/imperialist NATO’s fault” missives and rants here, unlike every UK based forum I frequent.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Slight aside, but given this is a generally left-leaning forum, I’m relieved that I’ve not seen any pro-Russia, “it’s neoliberal EU/imperialist NATO’s fault” missives and rants here, unlike every UK based forum I frequent.
This forum also has a rather high anti-athoritarian bent and Putin is the very definition of an athoritarian.

Cyoti

Citizen
About what you'd expect from a invasion that publicly intended to solve the "Ukrainian Question" and an army that has institutionalized serial abuse and hazing issues (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dedovshchina). So the Wehrmacht and Imperial Japanese Army rolled into one, but with none of their lethal competence

Nevermore

Citizen
And of course Russia is now claiming that the photos were "commissioned" by the US government.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
When a politician says "discuss", what they mean is "we don't plan to actually do anything but we want the voters to THINK we will".

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Is there an election between now and when any intelligent person would realize "If they were gonna do it, they would have done it by now"?

Oh, who am I kidding; our Democrats have been holding literally every issue over their voters' heads for decades and no one's caught on yet.

Nevermore

Citizen
The consequences of relentless Russian propaganda:
- This past weekend, there was a rally by 900 people in Berlin, Germany in support of Putin. One completely nutty person proudly proclaimed that he had "absolutely no problem" with bombing hospitals and children's daycares, while another guy insisted the civilians executed in Bucha were actually killed by the Ukrainians themselves in order to blame it on Russia. "It's a known fact!"
- Meanwhile, there are indications that Putin has become the victim of his own propaganda. Since he went into this war with an absolutely batshit maximum objective, he's now reportedly worried that he cannot backtrack on that because otherwise there might be massive pro-war (!) rallies in Russia if he were to concede on some of his initial demands.

Shattered Trousers

That thing Ratchet needed.
Citizen
Putin has jammed himself up in an unsolvable Sunk Cost Fallacy.

He cannot win this war he's started, he just doesn't have the competence or the resources to accomplish his objective.

He will not concede defeat, whether it is because he truly believes what he has done is right or because he is terrified of showing any form of weakness to his supporters.

As horrible as it is for everybody involved the only option Putin has is to keep grinding until every resource is depleted and every ally is gone.

(That said, I don't think I'm alone in wishing for the unreasonable option for Russia to withdraw and take whatever comeuppance is coming.)

~L~

MrBlud

Citizen
Best case for him is presumably withdrawing from Ukraine proper and then fortifying the Donbas.

Sucks for Ukrainian sovereignty but there’s too much money for too many people to keep the level of sanctions up permanently.

Nevermore

Citizen
Andriy Melnyk, Ukraininan ambassador to Germany, keeps arguing there's no such thing as "good Russians" and "bad Russians". As of now, all of Russia is an enemy of Ukraine, and so are all Russians.

Top Bottom