Nobody has the intention to invade Ukraine

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Yeah, just saw this in a post on youtube. If nothing else: it cements the idea that putin never had and will never have any intention to negotiate peace.

Nevermore

Citizen
More disturbing news: Workers of the Chernobyl power plant told Reuters that the Russian soldiers who did take the power plant wore no protection, moved heavy equipment through the infamous Red Forest, kicking up clouds of radioactive dust which they most likely inhaled, and when asked by the workers, said they had no idea what exactly Chernobyl was, had no idea that a major nuclear disaster had happened there, and were only told they were under orders to seize "critical infrastructure".

Seriously, Putin. **** you. **** you a million times. Even if someone for some twisted reason were to agree with the invasion, or "liberation", of Ukraine per se, how can anyone justify sending young, untrained soldiers to ****ing CHERNOBYL without having a clue what the place even is?

Nevermore

Citizen
Just watched a video by a German news outlet about a town in Eastern Ukraine that was liberated by Ukrainian forces after the Russian troops had withdrawn. Apparently, the Russians had literally no clue why exactly they were even there, there was no greater plan they were privvy to, they were completely cut off from any kind of news regarding their own war effort, and as a result, they had to resort to asking the very Ukrainian citizens they were terrorizing to tell them whether Zelenskyy was still alive, whether they had already conquered Kyiv, and so on.

It really seems as if the Russians had gone into this war with a ridiculously naive minimalistic strategy.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
So... putin spent so long breathing his own farts that he actually BELIEVED his own nationalistic bullshit that the ukrainians wanted to be liberated?

Wow, way fail rule one of dictatorship.

Edit: saw on the news ticker this morning; the RCMP is sending a team to the hague to investigate russian war crimes... so that's a thing. Go get 'em mounties!

Last edited:

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
said they had no idea what exactly Chernobyl was, had no idea that a major nuclear disaster had happened there,
This part is the real shocker. People are talking about Russia planning to erect their own Great Firewall to cut them off from any non-state-approved information, but apparently they've already had one for a good long while.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Tracks well. The lower rank members of the Russian military we all born either after Putin rose to power or shortly before. They are also mostly from poorer families who likely couldn't afford decent Internet.

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
This part is the real shocker. People are talking about Russia planning to erect their own Great Firewall to cut them off from any non-state-approved information, but apparently they've already had one for a good long while.

To be entirely fair, before this whole shebang kicked off, *I* had no real idea where Chernobyl was. I knew about it, yes, but prior to this event if you told me to point to it on a map I'd probably pick somewhere in Russia proper. Not Ukraine.

Ironbite4

Citizen
Same here. I honestly thought it was somewhere in Mother Russia. Imagine my surprise to see it's smack dab in Ukraine.

Ironbite-and Russia has completely fucked that region up.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
To be entirely fair, before this whole shebang kicked off, *I* had no real idea where Chernobyl was. I knew about it, yes, but prior to this event if you told me to point to it on a map I'd probably pick somewhere in Russia proper. Not Ukraine.

It's meant to be a bloody good drama.

(Just don't watch the scene with the dogs, according to the animated Netflix show, "Human Resources")...

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
Just watched a video by a German news outlet about a town in Eastern Ukraine that was liberated by Ukrainian forces after the Russian troops had withdrawn. Apparently, the Russians had literally no clue why exactly they were even there, there was no greater plan they were privvy to, they were completely cut off from any kind of news regarding their own war effort, and as a result, they had to resort to asking the very Ukrainian citizens they were terrorizing to tell them whether Zelenskyy was still alive, whether they had already conquered Kyiv, and so on.

It really seems as if the Russians had gone into this war with a ridiculously naive minimalistic strategy.

Honestly doesn't surprise me. Last thing you want your troops to know is that their army is flailing and that so many of them are dead. You want good obedient soliders that do what they are told without needing to know why and not being aware of how fucked they are.

Nevermore

Citizen
Interview with a former member of the Russian parliament and the only person who voted against the annexation of Crimea. He's now switched sides and is fighting alongside the Ukrainians in Kyiv.

He's arguing that he's not anti-Russian, he's just anti-Putin. He thinks a victory over the Russian military in Ukraine is the key for a victory over Putin in Russia, and the first step towards a free Russia.

He's even citing the late former German chancellor Willy Brandt as an example, who, before becoming a politician, was fighting against the German military in World War II as a member of the Norwegian army.

Last edited:

Shattered Trousers

That thing Ratchet needed.
Citizen
More disturbing news: Workers of the Chernobyl power plant told Reuters that the Russian soldiers who did take the power plant wore no protection, moved heavy equipment through the infamous Red Forest, kicking up clouds of radioactive dust which they most likely inhaled, and when asked by the workers, said they had no idea what exactly Chernobyl was, had no idea that a major nuclear disaster had happened there, and were only told they were under orders to seize "critical infrastructure".

Seriously, Putin. **** you. **** you a million times. Even if someone for some twisted reason were to agree with the invasion, or "liberation", of Ukraine per se, how can anyone justify sending young, untrained soldiers to ****ing CHERNOBYL without having a clue what the place even is?

This has been rattling around in my head since I first read your post early this morning. Really curled my hair.

I don't really know why this particular event shocked me so much, amidst a daily stream of shocking reports from this war, maybe it's just the brazenness of marching across land so irradiated without any knowledge of the significance of the location.

I had settled it in my mind that nobody would ever walk through Red Forest until hundreds of years after I'm gone.
This is akin to Russian cosmonauts taking a walk on the moon without spacesuits.

Those poor, clueless soldiers will surely be fatally poisoned. If it's as severe as I read about they probably won't see the end of the year.

Screw you, Putin, and your whole BS operation!

~L~

wonko the sane?

Citizen
No, it was built inside the Ukrainian Soviet Republic.
And I was being faceticious, since chernobyl was a soviet era project and the west largely didn't care about the various social, cultural or political regions during that time. USSR was russia, russia was the USSR.

Top Bottom