Ninja Turtles - Cowabunga!

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
You're done! Yaaaaay! Yeah, you might have binged too fast but when your head has rested... who's your fave Rise Turtle? Also new mutant (mine is Hypno. Not just cuz of Rhys voice actor, haha)

Wait, the Nick shorts aren't Rise Rise. There's two 2minute shorts of no consequence (they want to get April's free pizza first and shows the kid turtles picking their weapons for the first time).

I feel like Rise is like Steven Universe, Star VS and even Amphibia, Cyberverse and Adventure Time. You get wacky 10min bursts at the start but down the line, the lore happens and the stories built up to something epic. All in 10min segments.

I like revisiting some of the wacky, no consequence eps cuz it shows them having fun, before the mutagen hits the fan. Lair Games, the fashion ep, anything with Todd (hahaha), it's just goofy interplay AND great action scenes.

Anyhow, very AWESOME that you watched them all! That you liked parts of it is awesome :)

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
Hmm, favorite turtle. I desperately want to say Raph just because he's my favorite over all for the franchise. But when it comes to Rise, that just doesn't feel like any Raph I know.

I'm also tempted to say Mike because, well, out of all the turtles, they got his character the most right. He still had his buffoon moment, but no more so than any of the others. They made him a party dude without making him a moron. I think this is probably the best version of Mikey. But he never really stood out that much against the others. He took Donny's place as "that turtle in the background."

Leonardo's a self-centered ass.

Process of elimination, I guess it's (begrudgingly) Donny. I really don't like him though. He's a jerky little jerk with jerk filling. But he's (ironically) the one that felt like he made the most impact.

As for favorite new mutant. Well, my favorite new character has to Baron Draxum because he has the most interesting heel to face story line. But he's not a mutant. Meat Sweats is probably the most memorabl, but definitely not my favorite. Big Mama was nice as a legit threat. But the biggest reason I even remember her is because of how she relates to Splinter, which is kind of a meh reason.

I guess once you remove the 'technically not a mutant', 'completely forgettable' and 'only memorable for meh reasons', I'm left with Todd. Again, more of a process of elimination than because I actually have any love for the character. I guess he had his moments.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Omg, you picked Donnie and Todd! Stamp of approval in my book! Hehe

That's... That's practically opposites in personality (apt description of Rise Donnie being jerky jerk with jerk filling [hahaha] vs the sweetest side of lemonade ever).

5 years down the line when we're watching the Techno Me-Too Non-Binary Turtlettes holo series, you're going to look back fondly at Rise and appreciate it for what it did. Ala Beast Wars, hehe

Caldwin

Citizen
Well, yeah, but it was very "process of elimination" type reasoning, so it's kinda faint praise to be honest.

Also, to be perfectly blunt, as much as I absolutely detested Splinter at the beginning, he wound up being a far better character than any of the turtles.

And overall, Draxum was probably the one character with the most depth, aside from Splinter. He's definitely my favorite new character...just...technically not a mutant.

Shadewing

Citizen
Well, yeah, but it was very "process of elimination" type reasoning, so it's kinda faint praise to be honest.

Also, to be perfectly blunt, as much as I absolutely detested Splinter at the beginning, he wound up being a far better character than any of the turtles.

And overall, Draxum was probably the one character with the most depth, aside from Splinter. He's definitely my favorite new character...just...technically not a mutant.

That's what I meant when I told you to not count out Rise Splinter in your ranking of favorite versions. He's not the best Splinter, but he might be the most human one, imo. Once you know his story, his early stuff makes a lot more sense. Mutating seems to have lead him to give up on life, thinking his best days were behind him; so of course much of his 'training' is "here, watch this movie of me when I was in my prime!" at the start of the series and lazing about just binging TV otherwise. ...I think on some level a lot of us an understand that sentiment. Until he realizes his family legacy wasn't BS, and then needs to make up for lost time. Once that swift kick to the ass happens, we start to see just how much he does care for his family and see him embrace himself once more.

As for favorite mutants on my end:

Todd, the unsung hero of the series. Not only do I like his... eh... we'll call a spade a spade and refer to it as what it is... his 'Ned Flandersness' I also like that he's basically the reason the Turtles win in the end. He causes Draxum to realize they're in an illusion, he gives the Turtles new weapons... which bonus points for his historical accuracy on early ninjas using gardening tools.

On the Villians side: Hypnopotomus is my favorite, with Meat Sweats as a very close second. Hypno is a more human character overall, while Meat Sweats is the better villain due to his power making for interesting fights and encounters.

Caldwin

Citizen
On a different note, this is what my preorder page looks like at BBTS. It's a good time to be a Turtles fan.

D3D41D19-FF0D-4473-AA46-30DF27873958.jpeg

2ADDEC2F-8CAA-4BB3-BC52-C06DFE0A6FC4.jpeg

78A85B9C-5D3C-4C1C-BE13-0ABEA9EFF2FF.jpeg

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
Man Id love to get that Slash figure in the Turtles in Time colors (without the pixel effect)

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Odd but Nick YouTube put up the two Rise shorts I was talking about. Both vid are put together, a minute and a half each

On Rise mutants, yeah, love Todd's Ned Flanders-ish niceness. Shame he didn't get a toy. I mean, Bullhop was in two eps and he got a figure but I guess Todd just didn't have a catchy, heroic pun name.

My second fave evil mutant was Repo Mantis (love the accent. He needs pants tho) and he didn't get a toy either, urgh!

The only Rise toys I got are multiple Donnie's (regular, spider arms, storage shell) (I couldn't find the jetpack variant) and Hypno (my fave evil mutant).

Shadewing

Citizen
Repo Mantis would have been higher on my list if he'd been used more. I really liked his look and personality, but he hardly does anything. Even the stupid worm gets more screen time then him.

Caldwin

Citizen

First 4 minutes of the movie. A lot happens. I'm not sure if I can call the first four minutes "spoilers," but you may not want to see it if you're wanting to go in totally fresh.

Caldwin

Citizen
It's Seth Rogan's upcoming movie. It's going to be CGI. I don't see any cast listed on IMDB though.

Last edited:

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Watched the Rise of the TMNT Movie on Netflix. Action and animation is still damn good. I just can't stand this version of the characters though. My biggest issues are Leo, Don, and Splinter's personalities. They all are self absorbed jerks and that takes me out right there. Leo has the storyline to get past it in the end somewhat, but it never fully leaves. An Donny has always been my favorite turtle but his attitude in Rise has always turned me away. And Splinter..... Interesting twist over all with this versions back story, but he's the first Splinter that has felt like he really doesn't know what he's doing at all at times and is just there to pad out the team roster when needed and an exposition dump occasionally.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Saw the movie too and it was an animation masterclass! Amazing! Like, I swear, they totally could have...

killed Raphael and had the Krang mutation just heal him up as a surprise enemy later
... and it would have totally worked!

This is the most Leo centric of any TMNT media, where he doesn't get overshadowed by Raphael (like that CGI TMNT movie with the Nightwatcher. I swear, Leo totally was suppose to wipe the floor with Raphael then). It works, almost like an anime protagonist thing. Like, after this, he could go back to the usual Leo we're used to (y'know?). He's done his arc.

But I waaaaanted more Donnie! And Mikey! Donnie had a very mini arc but Mikey needed some more. Like, is THIS the first time a variation Mikey of excelled this way?!? That's just amazing! He was a writer in the Image comic, an artist in the Archie comic and he was a hippie in the future 2012 version. Other that Leo, Mikey has the capacity to be the most attuned. I know it's just a cameo variation but t works. Can we see it again?

I'm going to hedge my bets and say they're saving the usual eventual cyborg Donnie in future Rise media. Please.

Other stuff I'd have loved to see would have been some background pics of Draxum, Bullhop, Todd, Shelldon as Metalhead and maybe even the other villains in the city fight. We got one but it wasn't enough. Also, I do love their choice of villain cameo. They know the break out villains of Rise, hehe

Sooooo how will Netflix know that Rise is a success? They count the people watching it? What else can Rise fans do?

Last edited:

Caldwin

Citizen
I'll try and give my opinions on the movie later tonight. I tried to watch It last night, but it had been such an exhausting day, I fell right asleep near the beginning. So I'm going to try again tonight. In the mean time, I got this from Amazon today.

ljBDv45.jpg

At first I wasn't sure why they felt like that had to put the box inside a box. But you know, if it keeps that collectable box inside in good shape during shipping, I guess I'm all for it.

1M2IRSw.jpg

You know, a majority of these accessories are going to be put in a bin to never see the light of day. But I do appreciate that it comes with all of this. You never know how you may want to pose him.

Lh0ufwh.jpg

They included a plastic cape, which is okay, I guess. The more accessories the better. But since it also has the cloth cape (which is so much better imo), I don't understand why anyone would go with the plastic cape.

I also don't understand why they have the eyebrows on the helmet. It looks so stupid. What designer decided "let's just put his eyebrows on the helmet and include it as the alt-head?"

wAj22wp.jpg

Is what I was wondering before I dug out my vintage Shredder and saw this. My goodness, how did I never notice that before? Now I can't unsee it!

You know, I always wondered about these Super 7 toys that were made to look exactly like the old toys. I mean, why would I ever want to get a toy that looks exactly like a toy I already have. I mean, Casey Jones I got because I never had the original. But I got Baxter Stockman on a whim and boy oh boy did I ever get my answer. And that answer was just reinforced by this Shredder.

Yes they're modeled to look like the originals. But never mind the posibility (which is awesome to the always crouched poses of the originals). This things just look better than the originals. It doesn't always come across in the promotional pictures you see on the shopping sites, but boy oh boy, you get one of these in your hands and compare it to your vintage toy, these things are just awesome!

Caldwin

Citizen
Well, okay, let's just get the obvious out of the way. Rise is never going to be my favorite iteration of TMNT. It just isn't.

That said, the movie had a better balance between "distilled ADHD" and "holy crap, this just got serious." The balance was much better in this movie. And objectively, the action was pretty good. The suspense was decently high.

But here's the thing:

Transformers: Supremely powerful aliens invade. Situation looks hopeless. Find some mcguffins, have some flashy over the top special effects, maybe a heroic sacrifice...win the day.

Avengers: Supremely powerful aliens invade. Situation looks hopeless. Find some mcguffins, have some flashy over the top special effects, maybe a heroic sacrifice...win the day.

Infinity War: Supremely powerful aliens invade. Situation looks hopeless. Find some mcguffins, have some flashy over the top special effects, maybe a heroic sacrifice...win the day.

End Game: Supremely powerful aliens invade. Situation looks hopeless. Find some mcguffins, have some flashy over the top special effects, maybe a heroic sacrifice...win the day.

Rise of the TMNT: Are we seeing the pattern?

It's not a fault with the movie, per se. But when everything starts to be so formulaic, and you start to see the formula...it's just not fun anymore.

Meanwhile, look at the first life action movie. It's just the Shredder with his street gang. The stakes are the crime rate in New York and the Turtles as a family. Not very high stakes when you compare it to aliens taking over/destroying the world. But they're stakes that matter because you care about the characters. The special effects are actors in costumes. It's not flashy. The fight choreography isn't break neck. But it means something. It may not be flashy, but you see and feel every punch...because the punch isn't lost in a lot of flash and jiggly camera.

Like I said, it's not a problem with this movie per se. It's simply where movies are these days. So much flash and very little substance.

If I were to have a wishlist of what I want in a TMNT movie, take away the special effects. Take away the extravagant budget. Take away the cookie cutter story telling and tell a hugging story!

In fact, movies in general should really look hard into doing that. Take away the flashy special effects. We already know you can do anything with CGI. That's nice and all, but give us a hugging story. Give us characters we give a damn about. Give us fight scenes that we can actually follow, where it isn't so jiggly and full of fast cuts that we can't even see who's hitting who with what and what side is winning or what the hell is going on! You know what makes Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, The Bride in Kill Bill so great? It wasn't the flashy CGI effects. It's that you could see what the hug was going on! You care about the characters and you can feel the impact of what they're going through because you can actually see what they're going through. It's not covered up with mcguffins and shine special effects.

*deep breath*

Okay, rant over. Just...I don't think I'll be watching it again any time soon.

Top Bottom