Nightingale: this time; STEAMPUNK... open world, survival, crafting...

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Oh boy, another early access title, here we go again!

Alright, so, I've played an hour and a half so far. I am looking forward to playing again. That said: This game is NOT ready.

Why is it not ready? Largely associated with server issues, optimization and enemy AI issues. Is it playable? Absolutely! But you can beat all enemies so far making sure you stand at 45 degree angles to them.

I've done enough to make my first hovel: the standard issue, everyone makes it, 2X2 cube with a campfire in it. I've also seen enough to be looking forward to (and even excited by.) the ongoing development. So far, it is NOT a fast game to play: by which I mean, the path forward in gameplay is deliniated, but there is also (seemingly.) no great pressure behind you to rush it. This is like 7 days to die, where the ever looming threat of a wandering horde or hell night hovers over you like a stalking beast, or vicious hang over. I'm only just getting ready to make more than basic tools, and it will require more hunting to make the leather straps to do it.

The in-game currency is essence, and there are essence traders out there with stuff and thangs for you to purchase. Schematics, enchantments and other such things. I've yet to reach one, I was too busy figuring out where the roofs were in my build menu. You make your base (estate.) more comfortable and more productive to increase... comfort? I think, and the higher your comfort the higher the tier of realms cards you can go and fetch. The mechanic is tied into ruins sealed by previous humans in the realms. Comfort level gets you through the door, and then it's up to you... I think. I've yet to see the mechanic in action.

Thematically, and mechanically, there is nothing here I dislike or object to. It runs, I'm enjoying it. The menus are kinda... overtly complicated. There's a whole bunch of extra clicking, and no real shortcuts (like clicking on the campfire icon in the cooking menu for baked berries... does not actually take you to the campfire build menu, OR just let you drop the silhouette so you can actually ******* build it.) it's easy to like pin the crafting requirements: but it was a giant pain to actually craft it, mostly cause they never told you to open the crafting menu. If you want to support the company, then buy it now cause there is a slight discount for the entry into early access. But otherwise... give it six months. Come back in august, or wait the year for the first real discount.

Still, having fun. Looking forward to seeing what's next.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Gear score. The antiquarian temples are locked by gear score. You get a higher gear score by creating better materials and making better tools. So a better axe, to build a saw mill, to build a spinning wheel, to get thread and cloth.

It's a slow build, but it's enjoyable. Grindy, but fun grindy because you can just wander around and do other stuff.

Also, as per requirements for an early access game (that requires a constant network connection to run even when playing alone.) the server crashed right as I entered my first real taste of combat. So I guess I'll pick it up again tomorrow.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
I cannot stop playing this game. It just synergizes so nicely with the things I am looking for in gameplay right now. Pacific drive dropped two days ago and I haven't even started it yet.

Top Bottom