New Computer Stuff is Expensive

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I figured I’d open this thread up stuff beyond my own major purchase, but anyway:

After having my iMac since summer 2016, Apple has declared it “vintage” and the current OS update (Monterey) is the last one I’m eligible for. So, time to start shopping for a new Mac (what can I say, I like the little eco-system I got with the iMac, iPad and iPhone). My PLAN was to wait until next summer -ish and explore something like an M2 iMac or something like that. Maybe a redesigned 13” MacBook Pro. My budget was in the $1500 range- just enough to get a “little extra” from a base model, especially from a refurb (which my original iMac was- I got double RAM and a fusion drive within my budget that I wouldn’t have if new).

But Best Buy started a sale right before Labor Day (which Amazon copied). They hacked $400 off the price of the CURRENT 14 and 16” MacBook Pros. While a modest sale of $50-100 isn’t abnormal, this was a pretty substantial discount on models that don’t tend to see much discount even after being replaced in the product line up. After days of deliberation, LOTS of research and too many YouTube videos…I finally bit the bullet.

Just over $2300 later, I got a brand new base model MacBook Pro 16” coming this week. It basically come down to a trade between a similarly equipped 14” with 1 TB of storage, or the extra screen space. Given I was replacing a 21.5” screen…I sucked up the 512 GB in storage for the extra screen real estate.

But damn, dudes, dropping over two grand at once is such a damn shock to the system…even if I know (or am reasonably certain) I’m ultimately getting a better overall machine than what I’m apt to get, even with the M2 improvements, next summer.

Top Bottom