Netflix's One Piece

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
One of the OP Youtubers I follow, Randy Troy, revealed this weekend that he had been brought on tk the Writers Room for season 2 before the strike started. I'm so happy for him! I know Vivi is his favorite character in the series so Im sure he'll make sure they do right by her.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I never saw any One Piece eps. I sorta wasn't into the art style. I did play a recent Switch game and what I really remember is me playing as Ussop spelling, trying to fight Luffy, for the ship?

Anyhow, I just finished watching the Netflix eps. It's really good! Can't compare it to Netflix Cowboy Bebop since I didn't watch it (but I watched the anime).

Something about the cinematography and the colorful background and props made me think of Pushing Daisies. With all the flashbacks, I can imagine the Pushing Daisies narrator saying "the facts were these", haha

Fave first was Zoro, surprisingly. Then Sanji when he was introduced, even though he doesn't have enough trauma to achieve his dream. Also Mihawk, haha.

Does Koby have presence in the anime I know of Luffy, Zoro, Chopper and Ussop (plus a lady, which was Nami, haha) from cons and media and whatever, but I don't think I've heard of Koby before. Did he become a forgotten character in the anime?

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Kody does have a story arc in the manga, thou most of it is on the cover pages or off screen, he Luffy's counter in the Marines a bit in terms of career, he hasn't become forgotten, in fact in the next few weeks he due to show up again playing a major role in events going on off the island that Luffy & his Namaka are visting, the live action series kind of expanded upon his story to make the marines more human than just 2D villians!

Shadewing

Citizen
Kody does have a story arc in the manga, thou most of it is on the cover pages or off screen, he Luffy's counter in the Marines a bit in terms of career, he hasn't become forgotten, in fact in the next few weeks he due to show up again playing a major role in events going on off the island that Luffy & his Namaka are visting, the live action series kind of expanded upon his story to make the marines more human than just 2D villians!

Even when Koby's not physically part of the story, he still has influence over events sometimes; like one character siding with Luffy during the Wano arc because Koby was all "Yeah, Luffy's the best. You can really trust in him."

And really all the Netflix crew did was adapt those covers to give him a more developed role, while moving Garp's offical encounter with the strawhats to the start; rather then some 3-400 episodes later. Both really work to help balance the Marines, since a lot of them really are kinda just straight villians, but not all of them, like some of the Admiralty and even Sengoku are much more neutral aligned characters with nuance to them. Its mostly the lower rank guys that tend to be the 2d asshats.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I ended up looking at a short clip of Koby and the bully (now his friend?!?) in a time skip. I feel like if they do more seasons, the pair won't be seen until then.

(BTW, what are covers / cover pages? Like you see Koby developing or changing looks in the background of a Manga cover but he's not actually in the story within?)

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
I ended up looking at a short clip of Koby and the bully (now his friend?!?) in a time skip. I feel like if they do more seasons, the pair won't be seen until then.

(BTW, what are covers / cover pages? Like you see Koby developing or changing looks in the background of a Manga cover but he's not actually in the story within?)

Most issues of the manga when its first printed in Jump Magazine has a piece of a cover story that stars a character/s that been in a resent arc tend to get cover stories, for example Buggy, he got his own cover story telling of his adventures as a Chibi as he looks to get back to his crew and missing body parts, two villians have had cover stories, so these stories are canon as Oda has purposely done that, at one point, even the strawhats beside from Luffy got a cover story and there is a reason for that as events that been going on, has caused the crew to be seperated, so Kody and Helmeppo (the bully) training is apart of the actual story, thou things are playing out differently in the live action series than the manga/anime

Shadewing

Citizen
Yeah, though I think it clear that they are being inspired by them at the very least. Since the idea of Garp going to that base and finding Koby is done through the cover stories, even if things arent 1:1. So we might see more of them adapted as Bplots in future seasons. Just like the Manga it helps build out the world, and lets them make the most of their actors.

Also I really hope things work out and we get Jamie Lee Curtis to play Dr Kureha. It seems like things are perfectly in place for that Casting; Fans want it, She wants it, and the writers sound like they are writing the role for her.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
A Jap verison of the live action series theme song:

English verison

Both verisons are nice to listen to, the anime hasn't had many bad openning themes, some are better than others, but for the most part, they are pretty catchy and hard to forget!

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Live Action Chopper...has been revealed!
F9sieVCa0AAO616

...Yes, okay, this is a joke. But, Oda DID draw this! And...I could see this as a joke scene in the actual show.

Top Bottom