MYM - Chap6, Ep3: "Roots of All Evil - Pt. 2"...................(SPOILERS)

Guardian Prime

Veteran Allsparker
Citizen

The 2nd of the 2-parter is here!
And appears Opaline's conquest continues.
Can Sunny and friends finally stop Opaline?

The episode is now available on Netflix
---------------------------

SYNOPSIS:

Roots of All Evil Pt. 2

From Zephyr Heights to Bridlewood,
Opaline's on a mission to capture
the last of the Cutie Mark magic.
But true power comes from friendship, not force!

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Roots of All Evil Part 2

Misty yes!

Conveniently the entire population of Zephyr Heights is able to fit in this room.

Opaline: "I'm not buying this... but I have to know where she's going with it. I have to know."

That was the plan?

Misty yes!

Yeah, MYM did this scene better than TYT.

The one power in Equestria no evil schemer could ever plan around: the weirdness of Bridlewood.

"We could just call."

Someone finally trusts Zipp's instincts. These ponies have come a long way.

Alicorn fight round 2. It feels slower than round 1.

Opaline you're an idiot. To be fair it wouldn't have mattered if Spike were still hypnotized, but still dumb.

Literally everyone in Equestria knows the lyrics.

Rainbow of light. G1 FANS WE'RE SO BACK.

I think I like TYT's version of Opaline's defeat better, but this wasn't bad.

Izzy found the cliffhanger.

So there it is. The grand finale of the Opaline storyline. Not bad. There was some good stuff here. Even stuff that was directly spoiled by TYT managed to be satisfying. The confrontation with Misty in particular was everything I could have asked for. They utterly nailed it.

Sunny is of course the big hero, but I wouldn't say she totally Twilight Sparkled it. There were a lot of heroes here.

I still don't know what the hole in the ground in Chapter 1 was all about.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Yeah. Sunny.

I got invited to two Thanksgiving gatherings today and there was free booze at both, so my head was kinda swimming when I wrote these. And the special had to go and put Starlight's name in my head.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Episode 3 Roots of All Evil Part 2

Huh…I guess Twilight’s protection spell works on ANYTHING that tries to attack the crystals. I wonder if it protects itself from passing birds?

Twilight’s cutie mark as the protection charm is a nice touch.

Misty! Actually stealing something competently! Again, she can only use her skills for other people, not herself.

Oh…yeah…Opaline doesn’t know that Misty betrayed her yet. Weird. It’s been so long in TYT, I kind of forgot about that part.

Nice use of Zipp’s gadgets.

Of COURSE Pipp finds a way to distract Opaline with a song.

Oh, they’re in the Wonderbolts welcoming center thing from the movie. We haven’t seen this in a while.

Zipp’s going to have to sing, isn’t she?

You have the GALL to lip sync in front of a FIRE ALICORN?!

“Never turn your back on the audience!” There’s probably several twerking pop stars who would disagree with you, but oh well.

“I thought WE were friends” We watched soap operas together! We ate Cheetos on the couch together! SO MANY SNACKS! Did all of that mean NOTHING to you!?

I’ll admit, this show’s version of this scene between Misty and Opaline is better than Tell Your Tale. It’s a nice scene to expand upon.

“It’s my magic necklace and I can add an extra spot on it anytime I want!”

“Bing…bong…” Oh…they’re going creepy with the unicorns and it’s kind of working.

SENIOR BUTTERSCOTCH!

“Let’s JAM” With a tubful of jam. Nice.

Oh…the unicorn’s expired food. She’s getting it now. Unicorns are gross count…1. But, they’re weaponizing it so….unicorns are the best fighters count..also 1.

This is a Home Alone level plan, but it’s still the most effective one we’ve seen so far.

*Beep-Beep-Beep Beep-Beep* Oh my goodness! Izzy just threw her crafting shooter at Opaline after faking her out with a crafted cutie mark! Best Izzy moment EVER! Again, this MIGHT be a better version of the scene we’ve seen in TYT. She would’ve gotten away with it too, if it weren’t for those meddling dragons.

Okay, so are we actually going to SEE how losing their cutie marks actually affects anyone? Because right now, it seems like mostly a fashion accessory.

Oh no, did Pipp just out-detective Zipp on the mystery she’s been working on all season? That’s…so embarrassing for Zipp.

“We could…just call?” AH-HEH-HEH-HEH! Okay, Pipp’s on the ball this episode.

Oh hey, Megan’s Locket. Maybe that’ll be important?

“What’s knowledge? It’s…POWER!” That means…every librarian in the world is evil?! It does explain the shushing. It’s all a power trip for them.

Gotta admit…Opaline DOES look pretty cool with fire-rainbow wings.

I guess Sparky is just…able to nullify mind control magic. He is “The One”. Sparky IS the blue pill! Wait...no that doesn't work for several reasons.

And now Opaline gets defeated with a song. She’s truly a MLP villain now. Welcome to the club!

Spirit Bomb time!

Oh…MY…GOODNESSS! It actually WAS Megan’s Locket with the Rainbow of Light all this time?! How?! Explain?!

Heh…Spike got to use his teleportation fire to send Sparky to the Dragon Stone, at least. Nice callback. Mind, he could have just…walked over there, but this was neat.

I…don’t know what or how Sparky’s doing that with the Dragon Stone, but oh well at this point.

Ah…so…I guess Megan’s Locket can recharge itself? And...Sunny will be able to use it again? Maybe?

And so Opaline was trapped for all eternity inside a magic tree with it’s many tentacles. But, the Japanese branch of Hasbro will be telling THAT side of the story.

Spike really didn’t get to do much in this story, did he? The tradition from G4 lives on! Ahhh...Spike being overshadowed brings back warm memories.

No! Izzy DID NOT have friendship bracelets ready and waiting for the dragons who were mind controlled. When did she have the time?! I guess there really is always time for arts and crafts.

*SIGH* I guess Sparky’s sticking around. *SIGH*

Wait…is Opaline’s lair actually…a reference to the castle from G1? With the clouds gone, it kind of reminds me of that a little, now. That’s probably not right, but…hmm.

“It’s like glitter…but SNOW!” Guess what the new toyline is?! So…very…organically introduced.

Shadewing

Citizen
Okay, I'll admit it. I marked at the ******* Rainbow of Light. G1 is now canon to G4/5.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Tales is canon too.

1700806393484.png

Bon Bon got that modeling career after all.

Videomaster21XX

This is how a unicorn comments
Citizen
Oh god, it just hit me that the writers could use that to introduce the 'Multiverse' to Pony as if we need another franchise doing that. >_<

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I mean, the multiverse was already HERE thanks to magic mirror portals and Equestria Girls. And G1's relationship to the human world (...maybe? I guess I'm not sure if that's a "parallel world" thing or a "planes of the same reality" thing. Was G1's world supposed to be a hidden magical land ON Earth or it's own separate world? Or a pocket dimension? Hmm...).

But, honestly, I THINK Hasbro wants all the previous pony generations to just be on the same timeline in one universe. Remember all those G1 references in G4? I think they just want to make all of this one, single timeline. No matter if that makes sense or not.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Hasbro doesn't seem to be all that fond of the multiverse concept. They've tried it, but it's usually not their idea and they always end up nixing it.

This is all one gloriously messy timeline.

Videomaster21XX

Citizen
To be fair I wasn't being that serious. Also I have no clue how the timeline would work. Where exactly does G2 and G3 take place?

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I mean...if we want to bring IDW comics into this...all the pre-G4 generations seem to happen at the same time?

(I know, I know, IDW isn't canon, but it's the only time this has come up!)

Take this page from Generations #4:
2784603__safe_artist-colon-michela+cacciatore_applejack_bon+bon+28g129_fluttershy_galaxy+28g129_lickety+split_lofty_minty_north+star+g1_pinkie+pie_rarity_starli.jpg

You have a bunch of G1 characters, G3 Minty, and...what I'm convinced is supposed to be Bon Bon from Tales. There's NO WAY that line about aliens wasn't supposed to be a reference to "Up Up and Away", despite that line working more for someone like Patch.

So...if we want to get REALLY nerdy about it...it's possible that you could retcon the other "missing" Pony tribes from G3's Runaway Rainbow map into being the G1 and Tales casts. G1 and Tales just got separated from the other Tribes like the G3 cast did, and they all eventually found each other off-screen at some point.

598193__safe_screencap_master+kenbroath+gilspotten+heathspike_g3_the+runaway+rainbow_castle_crystal+princess_map_runaway+rainbow.png

As for G2...no one ever references the "true" G2. It only has one computer game as fiction. But, I guess they could be another lost tribe. Over there. Where we never talk about them. They're hanging out with the Newborn Cuties. It is a place best left forgotten!

Of course, it's possible that these other characters like Minty and Bon Bon are having their OWN time-travel adventures, but...I GUESS it's simpler just to say they're all just happening around the same time? Maybe?

The problem with this is that the Generations miniseries DOES treat this like it's a different dimension. But...we could just SAY they were mistaken about that and that it was time travel all along? Why not?

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'm going to ignore IDW's dimension-hopping.

If you mean G2 the game, if we presume the player is supposed to be a human then it has to take place near G1 when humans are a thing.

Tales takes place between G4 and G5, after the war. Technology is clearly progressing, but magic has seemingly vanished (aside from some enigmatic traces) and earth ponies live in a society of their own.

G3 is a mystery. The races appear to be meeting for the first time, so it should be the earliest in the timeline. Something terrible must happen between then and G1. They went from a world of zero threats to a total D&D world.

Videomaster21XX

Citizen
I knew I should have just said 'Tales' rather then G2. I'm well aware G2 didn't get a proper series, but most consider Tales to basically be it animated wise.

So my issue with Tales and G3 taking place at the same time is that in Tales you basically only have earth ponies. The only episode with anything else is that Up Up and Away one you mention. So do they just not know that other ponies exist? Why? Patch as you know, thinks the other ponies are aliens. So I'm not sure they knew other tribes exist at all in Tales. Is this something like G5? The tribes were separate but didn't even know about each other? Heck Tales has a buss, a computer, and a phoneline featured in it's opening. We also know they have TV. Tales seems closer to G5 in the timeline then anything else.

Unless they had all this stuff and some apocalyptic event wiped it all out. It just seems to me that trying to get it to all line up isn't feasible.

Videomaster21XX

Citizen
Of course that's me being serious I guess. Of course it isn't that feasible, they were never meant to connect like this when made in the first place.

But if we want to be silly and go down that rabbit hole....

Okay so if they were all connected, let's say that the comic posted IS in an alternate dimension. However, we can treat it more like a parallel world. All the stuff of G1 and on happened in the G4 universe, just different times. So the G1 and Tales ponies being together isn't how it works here, just in that other dimension.

Perhaps G3 happened first? Or right after G1. I honestly do not recall much about G3 other then the Minty Christmas special. It was just... not very memorable.

So Tales has all that tech in it right? Well Zeypher Heights has smart phones and the like. We know Maretime bay has TV. So let's be a bit realistic and say that Maretime Bay, Bridlewood, and Zeypher Heights (I'm spelling one of those wrong aren't I?) Are NOT the only places ponies went. I mean we learned in Secrets of Starlight that another pony town exists. So why not others? That town that Patch and Bon Bon from Tales live in? It's an earth pony settlement that is somewhere far off. However while in Maretime Bay the ponies kept the knowledge of the other tribes and made them up to be horrible monsters to try and use fear to keep everypony in line. Where ever Patch is, they decided to just pretend the other tribes don't exist at all. Patch and them are young, so perhaps it's far enough along that they don't know about the tribes. They aren't taught about in school and the older ponies who remember try to keep it hushed and buried. Perhaps feeling they are far enough away that the truth won't come up.

The tech in that show is kinda early, maybe mid 90's, so hey that's what it's like for G5 too. That was all like 40 years ago in the current G5 timeline. Heck that Bon Bon spray can pic linked in this thread means that yeah. She grew up and got that molding career, and now that Sunny reunited the tribes, where ever Patch and them are have also begun to learn of the other tribes again, and are venturing out.

Maybe Brightglow? Brightflow? In Up Up and Away came back to lead them back to Equestria proper. Maybe she along with the alicorn in her party are like a resistance group. Going around trying to keep the lessons of Twilight Sparkle alive.

Anyway I should be going to work instead of typing this out.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
So my issue with Tales and G3 taking place at the same time is that in Tales you basically only have earth ponies. The only episode with anything else is that Up Up and Away one you mention. So do they just not know that other ponies exist? Why? Patch as you know, thinks the other ponies are aliens. So I'm not sure they knew other tribes exist at all in Tales. Is this something like G5? The tribes were separate but didn't even know about each other?

Well, that's where I think G3's bit of lore can actually come into play. In that series, we DO learn that all of these different tribes were separated and forgot about each other...for vague, un-elaborated upon reasons. Maybe some sort of disaster, or maybe not, they really don't go into it. The Earth Ponies, Pegasi, Breezies, and Unicorns all didn't know about each other until they just started re-discovering each other and befriending each other again. It's a TINY bit of lore in a rather lore-starved generation, and it's always stuck out to me as something I wished they'd play with during a crossover or anniversary celebration or something.

So, in this context, the G1 ponies (or their ancestors) would be "guarding the wall" so to speak. Being the front line of all the horror-terrors of their land and protecting everyone else. Even if they had LONG forgotten that was what they were originally doing. Guarding their borders from all the other monsters and sorceresses that want to invade and kidnap their people.

And the Tales cast could be a FAR more advanced civilization that keeps to itself. Think like Atlantis or Wakanda. Only their "far future" tech is still stuck in the 80s, so their walkmans TOTALLY blow the other ponies minds. Honestly, the characters in Tales never did seem to leave their town. So ONLY their town being as "advanced" as they were COULD be a acceptable retcon...maybe. I'll admit, it's been a while since I've seen Tales. They probably do mention other towns or cities.

The more I think about this, the more I like it. I know it's stupid. And I'm not sure if I'd actually want Hasbro to go this way. But, I think there's story potential here. You tie up a long standing "loose end" from G3. You give a nod to the comics. You get a chance to have characters from all these generations interact with minimal headaches. And you have a chance at giving us a little bit MORE lore, because you'd explain what villain or cataclysm CAUSED the different pony tribes to separate in the first place. Overall, I think it could work. I actually wouldn't mind if they went this way.

Honestly? I like your guy's timeline's too. They work. And they tell a story.

BUT, I do think it's unlikely that Hasbro would be okay having the different Generations out of order. I think that Hasbro would think that KIDS would think that having G3 take place BEFORE G1 would be too confusing. Or having Tales take place between G4 and G5. I do think they'd try and FORCE them to be in "order" somehow. G1 to Tales to G3 to G4 to G5. So, how would THAT work?

To be honest, it almost works. G1 to Tales works, because you have a reasonable progress of technology and society at play. From "medieval" times to "80s suburbia". It kind of works. And similarly, G3 to G4 works, because you have a bunch of different societies beginning to comingle and discover each other and become one big government.

The big problem, I think, comes from going from Tales to G3. If that happened in THAT order....we're missing a BIG piece of the puzzle. But honestly? Even THAT kind of works now that we've gone from G4 to G5. It's possible that at certain points pony society just...self-destructs. That'd be a REALLY dark take but....given where we are in the real world, you actually might be able to make even that work. Maybe kids need to learn that, yeah, sometimes societies just rip each other apart. It's not a lesson enough media teaches, if you ask me!

Maybe you could turn it into a villain making history repeat itself and destroying pony society on purpose? EVERYONE teaming up to stop them from making the cycle repeat again?

There IS the question of why no one seems to remember the events of Tales or G3, since G4 and onward only really EVER reference G1. But...there weren't as many cool villains in Tales or G3. It's kind of like most kids knowing the stories about King Arthur or Robin Hood. Those are cool "historical" stories. But, no one really tells stories about...John Stevens the father of the American Railroad system or DELAG the German company that founded the first commercial airship. That's "boring" history book stuff. (Mind you, Twilight WOULD almost definitley had been into ALL of that, but at least we can sorta wave it away.) And all records from around "THE DISASTER" would have been destroyed, so no one really has any idea what actually happened, to help the plot happen. Maybe everyone kept everything on their phones, and when those services went down EVERYTHING went with it.

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The idea that their world has collapsed multiple times is grim, but it is the only sensible way to place the series in order. It mostly works. But I like the convoluted puzzle of it all being out of order, and some details do line up better that way, so I'm sticking with that. It's fun.

Hasbro might prefer it to be in order, but I doubt they would care enough to insist on that if some licensee wanted to publish a timeline. Nintendo is pretty kid friendly too, and their official timelines are nuts. The concept of prequels is pretty well understood at this point.

Videomaster21XX

Citizen
BUT, I do think it's unlikely that Hasbro would be okay having the different Generations out of order. I think that Hasbro would think that KIDS would think that having G3 take place BEFORE G1 would be too confusing. Or having Tales take place between G4 and G5. I do think they'd try and FORCE them to be in "order" somehow.
Well my counterpoint to that is: G1, G3, and such really only refer to the TOYS. While maybe some kids have caught on that we're on G5 now and the last show with Twilight was G4, I don't think they care enough for it to matter. To them it's: "My little pony with Twilight" and now "My little pony with Sunny"

The shows are all different things. All Hasbro needs to do is re-release them with something that indicates where in the timeline it takes place. Like if G3 was how it all began. They release it as something like: "My Little Pony Chronicles Chapter 1" Then for G1 that's chapter 2 and so on. Most kids might notice is how the animation is different. That's all.

Top Bottom