Monstructor

Darth_Prime

Citizen
Why haven’t we gotten one since G1? I feel like the closest we have gotten was the Beast Hunters Abominius figure. I always thought that mixed with some of the Go! Goradora figures would be close. Not to mention, if done right, or done first, a Dinoking recolor / retool. Is there even an interest in him?

MrBlud

Citizen
The Combiner Wars Dinobots had alternate Dinoking heads.

Would’ve been cool to release *that* on Pulse rather than pointless Deluxe Dinobots before the Leader-sized ones hit.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Because they're D-list nobodies, and not the kind that make for easy repaints like the growing army of Random Diaclone Color Guys.

I still want a new Monstructor, I just understand why it hasn't happened.

Glitch

Citizen
Not so long ago when news came of core class Dinobots for Legends someone joked Skarr ( sixth Dinobot from IDW 'Monstrosity') would be an ankylosaurus, same beast as one of DInoforce team shells who were a rebrand of the Monstercons leading to the idea we'd see a Monstructor combined from core class figures.

Future_Erika

singularly focused
Citizen
Monstructor is a bunch of d-list nobodies, but the Dinoforce were a major presence in Victory.
Though do people, especially Japanese fans, actually care about Victory as a whole or just Star Saber?

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
I, for one, like Goryu and Kakuryu from the Dinoforce. And would want the rest of the Dinoforce as well. I'm less of a fan of the Monstructor crew, but Monstructor had some pretty prominent appearances over several years in IDW1, so it's kind of puzzling there hasn't been much evidence that Hasbro has even considered updates for them. (Wasn't there an unused alternate head for a Terrorcon that was likely a Monstructor component, though?)

Dvandom

Citizen
It may be as simple as Hasbro deciding that Abominus covers the Monster Combiner trademark well enough and there's no need for a second one. Some of the other obscure combiners we did get were heavy on redeco and retool (e.g. Liokaiser). I suppose we could have gotten an Abominus redeco called Monstructor but the regular Abominus dudes ended up pegwarming and even shuffled off to Family Dollar so they probably didn't think there was much demand for tweaked versions (also, CW was about to end).

I mean, we're very unlikely to get non-Constructicon 6-combiners any time soon because of the heavy startup cost of design, so any Monstructor would get the Liokaiser treatment at best.

---Dave

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen

Holy cow, can the Constructicons be moded to new Monstructicons?

Hook to Slog
Long Haul to Birdbrain
Scavenger to iforgothisnamewings
Bonecrusher to Bristleback
Mixmaster to Icepick
Scrapper to Scowl

Hook can just fold into the box that is Slog. Long Haul, Bonecrusher vehicles can just get four legs instead of wheels. Icepick Scowl are just upright vehicles with stubby legs and arms.

Has there been fan creations of this before?!?

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The stars just haven't aligned yet. Hasbro is still trying to figure out what we want from modern Pretenders. If they're based entirely on the shells and eschew the inner robots, that means Monstructor no longer looks like Monstructor and getting a Dinoking out of it no longer makes sense. It only makes sense if we're okay with the shells being separate things.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
The Monstructor/Dinoking connection is like a 2-way street with dead ends in both directions. The inner robots were shared between both sets on the original versions, but the shells were drastically different yet their most recognition attributes, and that's where the modern issue begins, with the current propensity to combine elements of the shell and robot modes. If shells are off the table, I think the best solution for Dinoking would be to merge the shells and altmodes, with traditional robot modes. To that end, our best chance to get Dinoking would have been redeco and remolds of the PotP Dinobots. But that would be completely unsatisfactory for Monstructor.

If the upcoming Core Dinobots are made to combine, maybe Dinoking is still a possibility, and if so, maybe Monstructor will follow?

Lobjob

Citizen
We've seen multiple characters redone in multiple ways. Combiner Wars repaints can exist and weird shell/robot hybrids can also exist. Time is the only enemy of the Combiner Wars repaints since if they were coming out they should have by now.

I fully believe both Dinoking and Monstructor are on their way. I mean, right now I'm looking at modern toys of Jhiaxus, Road Rocket and Ransack. We live in wild times.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Combiner Wars is bigger than I'd want. Core class is perfect for these guys. Bombburst has made me a believer in Core class Pretenders.

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon
Citizen
I'd be very disappointed with Core class Monstructor members. I know the original Monstructor toy was small, but that always disappointed me then too. After having finally seen him in media, and his being just as big as any other combiner there, I would want full deluxe team members. If they get to have shells too, great, but it's the robots I care about.

Basically, I'd love to see Monstructor as either a Titan or Haslab project to get the shells. That seems like a stretch, but who knows. There have been lots of releases in recent years that seemed like they would have been a stretch in the past.

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
Goryu, as I recall, was the one Dinoforce member to get a Shattered Glass counterpart.

But it is a bit curious that Devil's Due GiJoe/Transformers, IDW 2005 G1, and Regeneration One all gave love to the Monstructor Six, and this has never been followed up on by Hasbro. They'd be pretty much free to do a ground-up redesign, considering the original toys....

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The originals are so simple that it should be doable to integrate the combiner kibble somewhere.

No I will not give up on that crusade. These guys don't scramble to begin with. They only need to turn into one combiner part well.

Andrusi

Lun!
Citizen
I fully believe both Dinoking and Monstructor are on their way. I mean, right now I'm looking at modern toys of Jhiaxus, Road Rocket and Ransack. We live in wild times.
And yet we didn't get a modern toy of G1 Fixit during Siege or Earthrise, despite the lines having a specific pricepoint for updated Micromasters, the character having a somewhat prominent role in IDW, and the name having been recently used in RID15. Wild times don't indicate anything.

Andrusi

Lun!
Citizen
No, I mean Fixit the ambulance, not Omni Productions-style Fixit the poilce car better known as Stakeout.

Top Bottom