MLP:MYM - Chapter 4 Special "Bridlewoodstock"..............................(SPOILERS)

Guardian Prime

Veteran Allsparker
Citizen

The 2nd Make Your Mark special is here!
And seems some illuminating festivities are in store...
But will the mane 5's plans work out?...
Or will an old Bridlewood legend ruin everything?

The special is now available on Netflix
---------------------------

SYNOPSIS:

Bridlewoodstock
The Mane 5 try to stage a music festival during Bridlewood’s beautiful Lumi-Bloom, a gorgeous bio-luminescent nature event that only happens once a year. Throughout their quest they race to book Equestria’s best and brightest artists, reunite old legends, and grapple with the unicorn legend of voice stealing Troggles.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
We're finally back!

Bridlewoodstock

We're not in Maretime Bay!

Pipp likes the spookiness. We're maintaining compatibility with Tell Your Tale so far.

This is really reminding me of one of the games. I don't remember which one or if it even came out. There are so many games.

Pipp likes her phone but she does prefer live events.

They're still doing the magical magnetic hooves. *sigh* G5 is so close to being a masterpiece.

Unicorn superstition strikes again.

Ponies like pancakes. They are correct.

This pancake is stiff as a board. Sunny's heart is in the right place but she still cannot cook.

Jazz still has no ears. They gave everyone else all the ear budget.

While Pipp works on everything else. Is this going to be a 'Pipp goes crazy' episode? It's not a proper pony gen until every pony gets a crazy episode.

G1.

Minty. They're going all out with nods to other gens today.

And we're in Zephyr Heights. I'm watching this special before the episodes, and I'm wondering if they aren't going to be stuck in Maretime Bay like the last batch or if this is just something the specials get to do.

Pipp is clearly the popular one. Considering how reclusive Zipp used to be, this is fair.

"You'll be the headliners." Uh oh.

"She cannot join you today" Whew. Chaos avoided.

"You'll be the headliner." Uh oh.

No one can turn down key lime pie.

"The Dreamlands will be the headliners." Uh oh.

"Which you knew already." Izzy just wanted to be included in this moment. She is such a puppy.

So this is what the :I face looks like in 3D. They nailed it.

No wonder the Marestream can barely fly. They have packed way too much stuff into it.

She's got the skates and helmet! Never before has a helmet been so cute.

Zipp and Hitch are genre savvy, and they continue to be an excellent duo.

In all fairness this stage is clearly too small.

I don't know if this one is a toy commercial anymore. There is no way Hasbro's paint budget can capture Pipp's Bridlewoodstock look.

We're about halfway through and the festival is about to begin. There's enough time for a whole episode's worth of this going badly.

Hah. Zipp doesn't say anything but she realizes she is about to get a makeover, and she is not thrilled about it.

Mouth hold!

I mean, if those fries are being cut and fried on the spot they are definitely worth waiting in line for.

Aww.

Yep. It's 'Pipp goes crazy' episode.

Good job, Zipp. Being the first in history is a compelling argument.

Uh oh. This is why you don't split the party.

Uh oh. At least this one isn't Pipp's fault.

This doesn't solve the problem of three opening acts.

We finally see the villains. ... And they're total videogame mooks. I could see these in a Wind Waker dungeon.

I know MYM doesn't have a crowd budget, but this is kinda pitiful.

The problem of three openers was never resolved but it seems they're just dropping it.

How would they sing along with a song they've never heard before? You just wrote it.

I don't like G5 music. Is it supposed to sound like this? Is this what kids are listening to these days?

Bridlewood doesn't have reliable cell service. This is not surprising.

Opera singers don't need microphones. They just sing louder than a whole live orchestra using nothing but their own lung power. It's really impressive when you realize how hard that is.

Aww, the troggles look so happy.

Losing my voice would not affect me on a daily basis at all. I've lost it for an extended period on more than one occassion (I do not know why), and one time I went a whole week without anyone noticing.

Aww. They didn't have the budget to decorate Sunny's alicorn form.

Well this is easy. The troggles want the thing that defeats them.

Sunny's accessories are back.

Three acts playing at the same time would be just chaos.

Okay. That wasn't great. It was a fun ride no nowhere. The troggles were defeated way too easily and the three opening acts problem just got handwaved. When so much of the running time was spent gathering these acts, it's an issue.

Please Make Your mark, no more plots that involve crowds. You don't have the budget for crowd filler and you're too proud to copy+paste. That's fine. Just write around it.

On the bright side, Bridlewood continues to be ridiculous. Even when their superstitions are real they manage to make no sense. So... I can accept the troggles gleefully defeating themselves on that basis. It doesn't make sense and critics will have a completely fair point complaining about it, but the nonsense of it works for this particular setting.

This special is worth it just for all the Pipp faces, and the ear budget was well spent. Wiggle wiggle.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Bridlewoodstock:

It’s good to have the CG show back. It feels like its been ages since that last big drop. *checks* I guess those first 8 episodes dropped about 8 months ago. Better part of a year. 6 months since Winter Wishdays.

“This is kind of SPOOKY isn’t it?” Pipp really does like horror, doesn’t she?

Hmm, leading her friends into a dark forest in the middle of the night…must be a party!

Oh, its…nothing. I guess that’s better than SOMETHING, most of the time in Equestria.

GLOWY THINGS! Glowy things are always cool looking. The Luma Bloom.

Yeah, those sure look like parasprites, don’t they?

The fireflies are attracted to singing…okay. I don’t know what that has to do with glowing, but fine. This is setting up something. I’m guessing TOO MUCH noise ends up making them swarm uncontrollably? (I guess that WASN’T setting up anything, huh…)

Now THERE’S a creepy laugh. You have to be born with a laugh that creepy.

A sailboat of tortilla chips…well, maybe if you’re sailing on a river of salsa.

“Why does your face look like that?” “I WAS BORN THIS WAY!”

The Troggles…I wish they had a better name. So, basically Shrek. Huh…I wonder if Posey would actually kind of understand where the Troggles are coming from. She doesn’t like people all up in her garden, either.

I do kind of love that Izzy still does the jinxie dance whenever she mentions a superstition.

Sure, don’t listen to Izzy. That won’t blow up in all your faces.

Sunny was planning on eating ALL those pancakes by herself? I guess being the alicorn means you burn a lot of calories.

Also, ZIpp only has ONE pancake? She eats like a bird…that might actually be the joke.

They’re already having smoothies at breakfast. I guess they really are pushing this as Sunny’s thing.

Okay, Izzy holding a pancake in her mouth is cute. Let this get fanart.

Man, that Magic Mirror that changes your outfits is a little creepy. How long until it becomes sentient and rises up against them?

I mean, it’s really only a matter of time before they form a band, anyway. Might as well be now. Hasbro probably has the playset all ready to ship.

Ruby Jubilee! We have our celebrity voice cameo for this season!

The Dream Lands! (Not the Dream Valley Girls?) Oh, a G1 reference, I wasn’t expecting that. How old is this band going to be, though? Is that the joke, they’re a bunch of old ladies now?

And Minty, too. They’re referencing a lot of stuff. Hasbro DOES know the Minty everyone remembers is from G3, not G1 right? First the crossover comic, now this.

I don’t know if Zipp really needs her special headset for this, but it’s nice it’s getting used.

Electric Blue really just chose his band-mates based on their colors. They match so well. Or they’re siblings. They do look pretty cool.

“Hey princess! How’s your sister?” Ouch. That’s got to sting a little. Zipp’s always in Pipp’s shadow to the pegasi.

“It’ll be..so..rocking! Yeah!” Zipp’s not good at this.

Oh, they’re going to promise the headline spot to EVERYONE…ugh. Fine, sitcom shenanigans LETS GO!

“Wild rubies are in season” …Huh? I mean…I guess that’s how it worked in G4, too, but it’s weird to put it like that.

Oh, we actually get to see Grandma Figgy again. She wasn’t just a one shot character. She’s a TWO shot character now!

Minty, Snuzzle and Blue Belle…wait, are those the names of the Six Original Ponies? *checks* Yep. Okay, that’s a cute reference. But, now I’m wondering about what happened to the other three. (Butterscotch, Cotton Candy, and Blossom).

Onyx and Dapple, good to see them again.

“You don’t?!” Big eyes! Such hope in those eyes. Oh, Pipp.

“Bing Bong” Oh…this is still a thing. I thought the unicorns were over this, but I guess not.

So, how long until one of those marshmallows ends on up Izzy’s horn? (Never…this is blasphemy of the highest order!)

Huh. Sparky’s sneezes usually turn things INTO food. This time he turned food into a butterfly and a beach ball. Strange.

Sparky really konked out fast. Guess running around chasing that bunnycorn really tired him out.

Snuzzle…I still can’t get over that name.

How long IS the journey from Bridlewood to Maretime Bay? Sunny roller skated there in less than a day. Everyone’s really getting their steps in lately.

…Why is that unicorn polishing that rock?

Those foals were playing Monopoly (…Mareopoly?). Zipp probably saved their friendship by ruining that game.

Hitch, you’re right there. Bust that unicorn for…whatever he’s on. He’s holding SOMETHING for “a friend”.

Man those two unicorns just Looney Tunes-ed right out of that scene.

“I’m going to try and lean into the whole music festival experience for my sister” “Me too” …Hmm…(Hitch/Pipp shipping intensifies)

You know, if Hasbro can make the Bridlewoodstock toys as glowy as these ponies are in this special, they might actual have something. I like all the glowstick stuff on these ponies.

I really like the “Primrose-type” unicorn design. But…there seems to be a few recolors. A purple one and a more green one. Could they be sisters?

…Huh…Is riding a carousel with pegasi-shaped rides seem weird to anyone else? I kind of want to see someone ride one of those to see how weird it looks for a pony to be riding on top of a ceramic pegasi.

“It helps me forget how SUPER JINXIE this all is” That’s right you push those feelings down. Deep down. Nothing bad can come from it.

3D fries! I don’t know why, but it feels weird to see them.

“With DIPPING SAUCES” Okay, I’m sold. HMMM…unspecified sauces. *Homer noises*

Pipp is doing a REALLY good job of forgetting the monsters they keep telling her about over and over again.

Oh, Pipp busted out the “Zephyrina”!

*Eye twitch* Well…you done broke Pipp.

The Friendship Fellowship of the Unity Crystals! I think that’s the first time they’ve been called that.

I like the glow-stick-star on Izzy’s horn

ANNNND…they’re convincing everyone to go first…at the same time…ugh.

“Aren’t…YOU a pop star?” You know what…that’s actually a clever workaround. I had forgotten that myself.

Oh, so Troggles are more like ghosts.

I mean, this isn’t really a “headbanging” song, but you do you, background pony.

Shouldn’t you still be able to take pictures, even without wifi?

Troggles steal voices. Okay, that’s a little more horrifying that I was expecting. The G1 characters really should be used to this kind of thing, though.

“But…But..THE SHOW!” Pipp’s still has her priorities, even in the middle of a crisis.

The Troggles…willingly accept death. Okay, these guys continue to be slightly darker than I was expecting. I wonder why rubies, though.

Ruby glue? Fine. Also, Pipp’s “Why-hi-hi did we do that?”

Glue is NOTHING to the power of the Alicorn! This is not as impressive as they want it to be.

“Generations coming together” Wait…are the other two bands supposed to be references to other generations too? I did NOT pick up on that, if that’s the case.

Heh…Sparky’s beach ball came back into the story. Nice touch.

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
vRG9kB1.gif

blueskyscribe

Citizen
I liked this special. It reminded me of the G3 era specials where it was more about a relaxing vibe than about the story conflict. And, of course, I was thrilled to see Snuzzle, Minty, and Blue Belle. G1 ponies represent!

The Troggles are also from G1, they were the pig-like servants of Grogar. They are significantly different here, since originally they weren't spirits, they were just flesh-and-blood anthro pig-like creatures. Like orcs. Grogar had destroyed their kingdom and enslaved the remaining Troggles; ultimately the ponies convince the Troggles to help them and together they defeat Grogar.

Screenshot 2023-07-05 11.44.31 AM.png

Great songs in this one!

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I liked this special. It reminded me of the G3 era specials where it was more about a relaxing vibe than about the story conflict.

I like this about G5. I'm kinda burned out on everything being the end of the world all the time. Things just lurch from one big event to the next. We have to have somewhere to turn for smaller scale stories, and G5 is doing that for me right now. The pace is slow, but it's a kind of slow that I like. It's not slow because things take too long to happen. It's slow because we see the moments of downtime instead of immediately running to the next objective. In RPG terms, the GM isn't railroading the players around. This is a campaign where the GM is letting the players do whatever feels natural. If the players want to finish their dialog scenes before moving on, then they're going to finish their dialog scenes. If the players get distracted by the wrong NPC or the wrong background detail, then I guess that's where the story is going today. These characters don't exist to serve the plot. They are living their lives in a world where there just happens to be a plot going on, and they interact with the plot at their leisure.

Is this special the most exciting thing? No. Did this story need 44 minutes? Probably not. But I don't find it boring. I find it relaxing.

Top Bottom