Max announces new Harry Potter tv series. Faithful to the books, Ten year project, Game of Thrones level production.

Shadewing

Citizen
This is largely WBD trying to keep the franchise going, as its one of the few money makers they have. Fantastic beasts flopped, Daniel and Emma refuse to return to do a Cursed Child movie, so this is their next best idea; which as I mentioned previously they are aware of JK's rep and effect, and did try to buy the rights before trying this; but are still going ahead with it after failing that. But I just don't see this being successful.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Oh yeah, that's the other thing. Warner Bros. is behind this. The company that:
  • Forced The Hobbit to be three movies instead of two and crammed with extra references to Lord of the Rings, missing the point and ruining yet another promising Martin Freeman vehicle
  • Tried to adapt A Song of Ice and Fire, an unfinished series, into a TV show thinking they could come up with a decent enough ending of their own and proving that they very much could not
  • Greenlit the Fantastic Beasts movies, every single one of which has been a hot mess, to the point where I think they've literally given up on continuing them
  • Greenlit a sequel to freaking Space Jam and turned it into a glorified commercial for their other IPs
  • Wiped all the Cartoon Network shows off their streaming service for no bloody reason
  • Is also trying to milk the Tolkien and Martin fantasy franchises with spinoffs no one wanted
  • Shut down MultiVersus after barely a year with retroactive claims of it having been an "open beta"
They have not, as far as I'm aware, demonstrated any capacity to do a single thing right in the past decade or so.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I have to admit, I was hoping to see a finale to the Fantastic Beast series, but to be honest, I don't really care for the Newt parts of the story. I just want to see an epic magic war movie ending up with the ultimate Dumbledore vs Grinderwald battle.

Axaday

Citizen
I have so far missed the 3rd Fantastic Beasts, but I do want to see it. I liked the first quite a bit, didn't care a lot for the second, but heard how the third papered over at least one of the problems with the second.

I totally understand why they want to milk this cash cow. But why don't they make something new? And start fresh with what they learned from Fantastic Beasts. Just tell your own story in the Wizarding World and don't connect it to Harry Potter or Dumbledore or Voldemort. It just seems way too early for a redo.

I would like the originals to eventually come back and do a movie, but I wouldn't like it to be Cursed Child. But I doubt that can be done while JK Rowling lives and she's really not that old... Maybe in 10 years she'll be willing to license it out without directly being involved?

AgentOrange

Citizen
It just seems way too early for a redo.
If this actually happens in their expected timetable, it's going to be 15ish years since the last movie, 18 years since the last book, and just about 25 years since the movie it will be redoing. Over 2 decades feels like plenty of time

Shadewing

Citizen
If this actually happens in their expected timetable, it's going to be 15ish years since the last movie, 18 years since the last book, and just about 25 years since the movie it will be redoing. Over 2 decades feels like plenty of time

I both agree and disagree. It does still feel on the side of too soon, it feels like them learning the wrong lessons from Fantastic Beasts failing, and just going back to what they know is "safe" rather then try to do something else new.

Axaday

Citizen
Are you calling me old? I would resent that.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Too soon" is relative. If the films sputtered out before getting through every book, or if they hadn't been such luxurious productions, or if they'd been forced to recast Harry halfway through, okay. It might not be too soon to start over and try again.

As is, it's too soon.

AgentOrange

Citizen
It'll be 25 years. It's enough time that someone who was Harry's age when Sorcerer's Stone premiered can have a child that's Harry's age. That's long enough.

If Warner were smarter and wanted to milk the franchise though, they'd just do a Marauders prequel.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I mean you do have some good stories there that they could have went with.

The Marauders would have been a good idea for a series. However, the whole Grindelwald story is an epic one that they just royally screwed up. If they could have done that right, then they could have led into the Marauders story which would have started in the late 1960s/early 1970s.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Or the founding of Hogwarts.

That could be a great story too! Maybe give us a reason why Slytherin was prejudiced against muggles. Maybe show the four founders as actual people and not just the four traits that they are known for a millenium later.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
I will admit there's potential there, because of the burning question of not why Slytherin was such a scumbag (remember, he didn't just "hate" muggle-borns; he actively plotted their eventual genocide with the whole "heir of Slytherin" business), but why the other three were willing to work with him. Real history is full of people who are not villains but, by our modern standards, would be considered extremely problematic, and our society is increasingly struggling to reconcile that with our desire to celebrate their accomplishments. (Not to get too much into P&R territory but yes, Virginia, there are people who unironically suggested tearing down the statues of Washington and Jefferson alongside all the ones of Confederate soldiers. I was there.) You'd need a hella talented writer to pull it off, but this is one subject that the Potterverse's central racism analogy could be used to deal with.

Axaday

Citizen
Stalin met with Roosevelt and Churchill concerning how to beat Hitler. Roosevelt and Churchill didn’t like Stallin, I think, or consider him to be a good man. Often you get a seat at the table because you are too powerful to leave out.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I will admit there's potential there, because of the burning question of not why Slytherin was such a scumbag (remember, he didn't just "hate" muggle-borns; he actively plotted their eventual genocide with the whole "heir of Slytherin" business), but why the other three were willing to work with him. Real history is full of people who are not villains but, by our modern standards, would be considered extremely problematic, and our society is increasingly struggling to reconcile that with our desire to celebrate their accomplishments. (Not to get too much into P&R territory but yes, Virginia, there are people who unironically suggested tearing down the statues of Washington and Jefferson alongside all the ones of Confederate soldiers. I was there.) You'd need a hella talented writer to pull it off, but this is one subject that the Potterverse's central racism analogy could be used to deal with.
I like to think that Slytherin's views have been massively blown out of proportion and context. Considering they founded Hogwarts in like the year 970 AD, and muggles views on magic, maybe he thought there might have been a need to have a secret chamber with a Basilisk to defend the castle against muggles. Maybe there was a lot of muggle born issues, and due to that he thought it was best to stick with just all magic families. Then over the centuries, his views get distorted and eventually flaunted by the magic supremacists.

Shadewing

Citizen
Yeah, considering the time period; I think it's entirely plausible to make him reasonable. He's probably still a bit racist, but maybe there is some context beyond that. Muggles might have given him a good reason to want only pure bloods, maybe he sees it as trying to protect people.

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
Whats stupid about the HP thing is that it seems like a world where you could have tons of content and just make shit up for a weekly tv series but they wanna just... rehash the movies? Like how hard is it to just make new shit up.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
On the opposite side of the spectrum: they were all extremely horrible, and Slytherin died first so everyone else piles the blame on him. 10,050 points to Gryffyndor.

Note: I have not read the books and saw the first 3 or 4 movies.

Top Bottom