Masterpiece Thread

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Maybe they find piloted mecha more aspirational.
This is my guess. That, or this is their preferred framework for human crossovers with technology -- rather than humanize or anthropomorphize the technology (and give them human emotional struggles and stakes), the focus remains on the actual people and the tech is more an aesthetic thing or a (pardon the pun) vehicle to tell the story. Like, say, Cars vs. Driven. Less metaphorical and more directly about the people and their human conflicts.

It's pretty interesting how they've largely stuck to that pattern since, what, Mazinger Z? Anime and sentai shows alike have been very much about the people, with the mecha mostly being the gimmick (certainly the focus in some ways, but not in a character sense generally).

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Stereotypically, it is easier for children to accept and sympathize with non-living things that are presented as alive in an anthropomorphic way, whereas these more cynical adult mind tends to prefer things that are more grounded in human reality.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Eh, whether it comes from stereotypes or not, I don't really agree. It's just as easy to say that a kid can relate to a fellow human more directly than something that behaves like one.

Even the US Transformers series introduced human POV characters despite already having kid-appeal characters in the main robot cast. This was a convention pretty much every series of the era also used, but the fact that kids were still given that IN the series where they could also relate directly to the anthropomorphized robots says a lot.

There's something to LBD Nyetrayn's idea that the piloting thing may be more aspirational in the culture or maybe even in general -- rather than just "relate" to them, kids can want to be or become them, having these cool vehicles and mecha at their disposal. (Both are valid ways of connecting to these properties, of course.) Like wanting to become a race car driver or construction crane operator or astronaut. I'm not about to draw assumed connections between the appeal of one or the other and degrees of maturity.

It's pretty interesting how once Takara had more of the storytelling role for G1 animation, it didn't take long before the series started incorporating that approach, from the Headmasters being pilots to having human/oid pilot partners.

Last edited:

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
NGL, one of my favorite things about Fortress Maximus in G1 has been the idea that instead of Spike running that whole thing, it could be me!

Kinda lost something to me when they swapped out for Emissary in Titans Return, though.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
MPG-09 Super Ginrai

Zsh3TKg.jpeg

rBQlmGe.jpeg

o3MfXEA.jpeg

rVDWKWy.jpeg

MPG-09_005_Kh6PIyDf4qHi6dRUP3XJ56T-vvD7qm55.jpg

MPG-09_006_WchfqEP5Ivr0jVh18j0l2J-cA6to9XQa.jpg

nRUMvet.jpeg

GPZNMsd.jpeg

ijjcDFf.jpeg

DXsRiOT.jpeg

VcVTI1T.jpeg

ldJpcdx.jpeg

f5gfJGE.jpeg

hCMq5Mr.jpeg

zwjvhte.jpeg

Last edited:

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
It looks like suited-up Ginrai might have ball-jointed elbows, but can't tell if the legs have anything more than the side folding.

Shadhausen

Citizen
Not really seeing anything about this that justifies the price, especially with the way the arms stick up in trailer mode.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Takara Tomy seem to be releasing a single "Ginrai" set and also a combined "Super Ginrai" set. These will have toon/toy paint schemes for at least the (godmaster Ginrai mini-figure), similar to the "Missing Link Convoy" toys released recently.

TAKARA TOMY TRANSFORMERS MASTERPIECE MP-60 GINRAI
Image of MP-60 Super Ginrai Official Transformers Masterpiece G1 Figure (21)__scaled_600.jpg

Image of MP-60 Super Ginrai Official Transformers Masterpiece G1 Figure (20)__scaled_600.jpg

Image of MP-60 Super Ginrai Official Transformers Masterpiece G1 Figure (17)__scaled_600.jpg

Release Date: December 28, 2024

Retail Price: ¥ 18,088 (without tax) / $119.26 USD

Ginrai, who played an active role in the 1988 TV anime “Transformers Super God Master Force,” is now available as a commemorative item for the 100th Masterpiece (including limited edition items)!

“MP-60 Ginrai” is a toy that was released at the time. Color and decoration specifications are different (*Specifications are different from the Ginrai of "MPG-09 Super Ginrai").

Reproduce the toy mechanism of the time!

When the included Godmaster is attached, the lock will be released and it will completely transform from trailer truck mode to robot mode.

In its robot state, it is fully poseable, allowing it to move its limbs, tilt its hips forward, left and right, and rotate.

The included Godmaster figure transforms into an eye cone (engine).

Also included are superconducting rifle x 2 for Ginrai and shooting effect parts x 2.

The instruction manual is a special booklet commemorating the 100th Master Piece (including limited edition items)!

Set contents

Ginrai (toy setting version) body (1), God Master (toy setting version) (1), superconductivity for Ginrai Rifle (2), shooting effect (2), booklet (instruction manual) (1), character card (1),

Package Dimensions: ‎24 x 17 x 9 cm; 200 g

ASIN: ‎B0CZX59D4C

TAKARA TOMY TRANSFORMERS MASTERPIECE G SERIES MPG-09 SUPER GINRAI
Image of MPG-09 Super Ginrai Official Transformers Masterpiece G1 Figure (23)__scaled_600.jpg

Image of MPG-09 Super Ginrai Official Transformers Masterpiece G1 Figure (22)__scaled_800.jpg

Image of MPG-09 Super Ginrai Official Transformers Masterpiece G1 Figure (19)__scaled_600.jpg

Image of MPG-09 Super Ginrai Official Transformers Masterpiece G1 Figure (20)__scaled_600.jpg

Image of MPG-09 Super Ginrai Official Transformers Masterpiece G1 Figure (21)__scaled_600.jpg

Release Date: December 28, 2024

Retail Price: ¥ 39,199 JPY (without tax) / $258.46 USD

Super Ginrai, who played an active role in the 1988 TV anime “Transformers Super God Master Force,” is now available as MPG!

The 9th MPG is Super Ginrai, which perfectly reproduces the Super God combination!
“MPG-09 Super "Ginrai" is based on the anime settings and decorations that were aired at the time.

Reproduce the toy mechanism of the time!

When the included Godmaster is attached, the lock will be released and it will completely transform from trailer truck mode to robot mode.

Furthermore, it combines with the container to form Super Ginrai (combined robot form)! In Ginrai's robot state, it is fully poseable, allowing its limbs to move, as well as its hips to tilt forward, left and right, and rotate.

Containers can be transformed into mobile bases.

The included Godmaster figure transforms into an eye cone (engine).

In addition, by combining the separately sold "MP-60 Ginrai" and pasting the included sticker, you can create the toy version of Super Ginrai at the time! (*Specifications of Ginrai are different from "MP-60 Ginrai".)

Set contents

Ginrai (anime version) body (1), container (1), Godmaster (anime version) (1), anime version head (B) (1), toy version head (1), toy version fist (right) (1), Toy version fist (left) (1), Boarding figure (1), Superconducting rifle for Ginrai (2), Superconducting rifle for Super Ginrai (2), Particle beam cannon (2), Gun shooting effect Parts (2), Electric effect parts (2), Anime version shoulder parts (2), Adapter (1), Seal (1), Character card (1), Instruction manual (1)

Product Dimensions: ‎14 x 15 x 28 cm; 400 g

ASIN: ‎B0CZWXLMCX
Ginrai Toy & Anime.gif

(Sources:
- https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/dp/B0CZX59D4C/?i=toys-and-games&tag=enewsi-20&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

- https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/dp/B0CZWXLMCX/?i=toys-and-games&tag=enewsi-20&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

- https://takaratomymall.jp/shop/g/g4904810909057/

- https://takaratomymall.jp/shop/g/g4904810909064/ )

Last edited:

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Eh, whether it comes from stereotypes or not, I don't really agree. It's just as easy to say that a kid can relate to a fellow human more directly than something that behaves like one.

Even the US Transformers series introduced human POV characters despite already having kid-appeal characters in the main robot cast. This was a convention pretty much every series of the era also used, but the fact that kids were still given that IN the series where they could also relate directly to the anthropomorphized robots says a lot.

There's something to LBD Nyetrayn's idea that the piloting thing may be more aspirational in the culture or maybe even in general -- rather than just "relate" to them, kids can want to be or become them, having these cool vehicles and mecha at their disposal. (Both are valid ways of connecting to these properties, of course.) Like wanting to become a race car driver or construction crane operator or astronaut. I'm not about to draw assumed connections between the appeal of one or the other and degrees of maturity.

It's pretty interesting how once Takara had more of the storytelling role for G1 animation, it didn't take long before the series started incorporating that approach, from the Headmasters being pilots to having human/oid pilot partners.
I believe the main reason the likes of Gundam, etc in Japan had piloted mecha was to avoid censorship over censorship in a kids' show. It wasn't "bad" to hack a limb off of what was essentially a vehicle, rather than a person.

In the US, by contrast, Hasbro, if I remember rightly, insisted that TFs were sentient beings and never driven or piloted (presumably to distance themselves from Japanese mecha imagery and/or related copyright, legal reasons or just for a distinctive brand identity).

Last edited:

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
You didn't need to post it a second time since that info was just 2 posts above yours, but thanks @PrimalxConvoy.
I checked a few pages prior but I didn't/couldn't see it. Also, I've provided links to both Amazon and TT's site, plus an animated comparison between the two Ginrais, which probably wasn't in the previous post?

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
WHOA! Major news flash!

0apTCgO.png

See that bullet-pointed note in the bottom half of the pic? This text:

「マスターピース」シリーズは100体目の発売を機に今作で終了となり、今後トランスフオーマーの最高峰ブランドは次世代最高峰ブランドである「トランスフォーマーMPG」に統一となります。

When translated into English, (courtesy of DeepL) it states the following:

The "Masterpiece" series will come to an end with the release of the 100th figure, and the highest Transformer brand will be unified with the next generation's highest brand, "Transformers MPG".

MP-60 Ginrai is apparently the final Masterpiece release, with Masterpiece Gattai formally taking over as its successor line.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
WHOA! Major news flash!

0apTCgO.png

See that bullet-pointed note in the bottom half of the pic? This text:

「マスターピース」シリーズは100体目の発売を機に今作で終了となり、今後トランスフオーマーの最高峰ブランドは次世代最高峰ブランドである「トランスフォーマーMPG」に統一となります。

When translated into English, (courtesy of DeepL) it states the following:

The "Masterpiece" series will come to an end with the release of the 100th figure, and the highest Transformer brand will be unified with the next generation's highest brand, "Transformers MPG".

MP-60 Ginrai is apparently the final Masterpiece release, with Masterpiece Gattai formally taking over as its successor line.
A second English translation, this time from Google Lens:

Jr2IB50.jpeg

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Can anyone tell me about the implications of this? Because I don't follow either line to know enough, and I'm mostly encountering whining about this being a cost-cutting venture (including at least one person claiming the shrimpy supermodel arms are another cut corner, natch) and that the brand is ruined forever.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
(am i crazy or isn't the masterpiece g series specifically just called masterpiece g (like the letter g) and 'gattai' was just one of the things they said that the g can stand for but it's not actually called masterpiece gattai lmao)

Gizmoboy

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I checked a few pages prior but I didn't/couldn't see it. Also, I've provided links to both Amazon and TT's site, plus an animated comparison between the two Ginrais, which probably wasn't in the previous post?
I forgot you have some people on ignore so you wouldn't have seen it. No worries. Very good info none the less. Better to have too much info than not enough. :)

Top Bottom