James Cameron's Avatar: The Way of Water

SHIELD Agent 47

Citizen
Over a decade ago, James Cameron's Avatar came out 18 December 2009. The long-awaited first sequel is currently scheduled for theatrical release 16 December 2022, and now here is the teaser trailer.

Paladin

Citizen
Is there anyone who wanted to see another Avatar movie made who isn't named "James Cameron" ????

Hell, is there anyone who can remember anything that happened in the FIRST Avatar movie who isn't named "James Cameron" ?!

Cybersnark

Citizen
It's amusing that we had to call the first one "James Cameron's Avatar" to distinguish it from the other Avatar franchise, and we still have to because this one is titled like it's about waterbenders.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
I liked the first one when it first came out, but it's been so long that I've long since moved on. It's also one of those movies that really didn't need a sequel and if they were going to do one, they really waited too long.

I much rather have had a sequel to Alita.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
It's amusing that we had to call the first one "James Cameron's Avatar" to distinguish it from the other Avatar franchise, and we still have to because this one is titled like it's about waterbenders.
Heh, the first one dealt with air, the second with water...

It's only fitting that the second one step on the toes of Korra after the first stepped on Aang.

Sjogre

Citizen
I didn't think about the first movie a week past seeing it, but it did gangbusters, so whatever else you say about James Cameron, he knows how to put butts in seats.

I don't expect the story to be memorable, but I'm not going to bet against it's success, either.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
The trailer looks nice but I do agree with the view that its rather late and it should of been made shortly after the first film had been done, when the 3D craze was in full swing and studios were doing everything they could to have their movies in 3D coming at the expensive of making good films that don't require 3D to see them!

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Unless James Cameron truly has some Faustian bargain on his side this movie is not going to be a big success. I won't be surprised if it fails utterly. Movies are in a different place now. We're in a different place now. You know that if you skip this movie you do not have to worry about not understanding the current month's pop culture references. You'll be fine.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Looking at it years since it’s a great visual piece, but it’s such an uninspired story with no actual larger thoughts to it that weren’t already in movies of years past. Environmental message of a non human race influencing the main human lead. Fern Gully. Learning to live with the native race. Dances with Wolves.

And the uninspiring named McGuffin that is “unobtainium”. What was it’s deal to start with that even made it worth killing the blue man group?

I’m thinking this will do well, but nowhere near what the first did. It’s probably going to be another awesome visual spectacle, but just as uninspired plot wise. And with so much time in between there is going to be a lot of people that really aren’t going to care anymore.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Both a rescreening of the first movie in China a few short years ago, and the recent Pandora attraction at Disney's Animal Kingdom, appear to have reignited people's interest in this series.

The former even pushed the first movie back to being the highest grossing film of all time, usurping the title back from Avengers: Endgame.

PiratedTVPro

Ancient Protoform
Citizen
Unless James Cameron truly has some Faustian bargain on his side this movie is not going to be a big success. I won't be surprised if it fails utterly. Movies are in a different place now. We're in a different place now. You know that if you skip this movie you do not have to worry about not understanding the current month's pop culture references. You'll be fine.

Before I begin, this is literally my job. Judging a movie's release and potential and then devoting marketing dollars is what I do every day.

First, lets talk domestic. Awareness is everything when releasing a film and even though we'll be at 13 years since the original film's release the pool of original ticket bearers is huge, and among that pool the takes on the original film are still overly positive. Most remember the event of the film more than the film itself. Disney is going to market this as an event film like only they do. All that said, the U.S. might not even matter.

DigitalCinemas.jpg

Just based on the worldwide market's expansion since the first film AVATAR: The Way of Water could easily be the biggest film in the world, even without the United States domestic market. That market specifically has grown almost 13x since 2009. The original film is still in the Top 10 of many county's box offices, even with the recent domination of the MCU. If it can secure a Chinese release it will pretty much guarantee it.

The bigger litmus test is going to be the September rerelease. The numbers there are really going to tell the story of what's going to happen domestically.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
I expect it will get a release in China, where're or not it been edited a little for China is unknown at this point, but I expect it will get in and Disney not going to make a lot out of this film as I believe its privately financed, so they only make a small amount, even if it becomes one of the highest grossing movies of all time!

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Plus it helps that they supposedly plan to rerelease the original again in September to revive interest again. But honestly as much as I hate to admit it probably will do Gangbusters, but unless I get reviews saying it's got any sort of greater plot development I'll be content to hold off till home release.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
New toys have been revealed for the franchise (not, explicitly, this particular film). Most seemed to assume Hasbro would be involved, but that has turned out to not be the case. And for sure Mattel wasn’t about to touch this after the mess the first film product line ended up being.
McFarlane Toys snagged the toy license and is producing a limited “collector scale” selection of figures at 7” (the blue people are 7” as a base, Stephen Lang seems to be ~4” and compatible with a MegaFig scaled AMP suit). The bulk of the product seems to be riding on the 2.5” train with the “World of Pandora” angle with lots of smaller scale figure play sets, vehicles and a robust “blind bag” component.
Everything revealed has been focused on the first film because…Disney and their secrets.

The 2.5” line seems a major focus, and the big gimmick is the use of blacklight to recreate the bio-luminescence the creatures and fauna displayed in the film, which I give props to the novel approach.
Online retailer dates indicate that the line will hit retail next month, with the possibility of WoW (HA!) products cycling in by the time of the film’s release.

Caldwin

Citizen
I went ahead and got this today, mostly just to kill curiosity. It's pretty much what I expected.

part of what made the first one so great was that it was different from what we were used to. In an era where we'd grown used to CGI, Cameron pushed it just that much more. But unfortunately with this one, we've seen it before. And as a sequel to the first one, it came way to late. The iron was no longer hot.

But...if you do still have any interest in the franchise at all, it actually is a pretty good movie. It's still got some really good visuals. The action was really good. And while certain moments may remind you of Lion King, Aliens, Abyss and Titanic...at least I can't think of any plot it rips off wholesale like the previous Pocahontas/FernGully with blue space kitties movie.

Basically, while the FX no longer have the wow-factor of the original and they probably made us wait a bit too long, the movie is still good enough to warrant a watch if you have any interest at all.

Dake

Citizen
I started it on D+ and couldn't be bothered to finish it. Just couldn't bring myself to care about any of it.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I do have to eat my words on the box office numbers. How does James Cameron do it?

Caldwin

Citizen
I started it on D+ and couldn't be bothered to finish it. Just couldn't bring myself to care about any of it.

I can definitely see that, not just because it's a 3+ hour film, it just really should have been released a decade ago when Avatar was still a thing.

That being said...

I do have to eat my words on the box office numbers. How does James Cameron do it?

I guess the drop off wasn't as huge as many people anticipated. And hey, may not have watched it in the theater and my reaction to seeing it may have been lukewarm at best...but ultimately I do have the Bluray now.

Top Bottom