It has been 15 years since I last had a caffeinated beverage.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Seeing people lined up at the Starbucks in my work at 8PM just baffles me. Are they all getting decaf? Otherwise do you REALLY need a caffeine hit like that at eight at night?

Honestly I'm tempted sometimes. I don't sleep anymore anyway.

Getting back to the taste of coffee however. I can't do it. Too bitter and nasty. Like I'm sure to others it is as you say. The greatest drink ever. But to me it'd be like if you fried some burgers in a frying pan, then collected the grease and put it in a cup and tried to drink it. That's coffee to me. Taste buds are wild yo.

I suspect there is something wrong with my taste buds because I don't taste the bitterness. I'd be lying if I said the bitterness isn't so bad or that I like it. I just straight up don't perceive it.

(Not a big Tea fan either. Only one I can do is this Lemon Zest one with me adding lots of honey to drown out the bitter tea taste.)

I hate tea. It feels bad in my stomach.

Videomaster21XX

This is how a unicorn comments
Citizen
There is definitely something wrong with my taste buds. For one you are talking to someone who legit likes Black Licorice. I'm not joking I love the stuff.

But coffee... I'd probably have to have one of those really sugered-up things with the chocolate and caramel and stuff and at that point, it'd probably be worse for me than an energy drink.

msol

Citizen
There is definitely something wrong with my taste buds. For one you are talking to someone who legit likes Black Licorice. I'm not joking I love the stuff.

But coffee... I'd probably have to have one of those really sugered-up things with the chocolate and caramel and stuff and at that point, it'd probably be worse for me than an energy drink.
Are their specific foods you don’t eat as well?

Anonymous X

Citizen
I also try and avoid caffeine as much as possible. Doesn't do my blood pressure any good. And I once got a bit, well, almost addicted to it (chain-drinking coffee all day until I had a headache). I can't 100% avoid it, but 90% avoidance is good enough.

(I remember trying Starbucks coffee for the first time in the States in 2000, this was years before it or anything similar was available in Britain outside London or similar big cities. Horribly strong. Still remember the borderline heart palpitations.)

Videomaster21XX

Citizen
Are their specific foods you don’t eat as well?
I hate tomatoes. I think it might be more the texture because Tomato soup is fine, but otherwise I can't stand em unless you know it's a sauce or ketchup, but I'm sorry that's so far different from a tomato it's not the same. (Whenever I mention I hate tomatoes, I always get someone asking if I like ketchup. Like the two taste anywhere remotely the same...)

Not a fan of "Mint" either. Thin Mints are the generally favorite girl scout cookie but to me it really is like you are just putting toothpaste into them. Bleh.

I've yet to properly confirm this, but I think I might be immune to wasabi. We had some chips that were wasabi chips and they basically tasted like I was eating cardboard, and had no 'hot' effect or anything of that nature on me.

There are a few more, but it usually just relates to either the texture messing with me, or I had a really bad experience and just don't care to try that particular food again.

Videomaster21XX

Citizen
We seem to have very similar tastes, except for coffee.
I actually have a horrible sense of smell which is why I think my taste buds are all out of wack. Not sure if you have anything similar going on. As such I kinda like my food on the spicy side, or really sweet side. Else I just don't taste much of anything.

Oh yeah I also avoid avocados. My friend tells me avocados are supposed to only complement the food you put them in. But if I have it in anything all I can taste is the avocado.

It's the same reason I don't drink any sort of alcoholic beverage. No matter what else is in there, I just get this REALLY STRONG alcohol taste, which is vile.

I'm also not a fan of Cake. It's just too dry 99% of the time. Hence on my birthday I've taken to buying myself an ice cream cake because frankly my friends don't enjoy spending 40 bucks on a cake for me, but unless it's an ice cream cake or cookie cake, I'm just not a fan.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
You might like tres leches cake. It's very wet but somehow it doesn't become soggy. I don't understand how it works but it's cool.

I also like rum cake but you'd have to enjoy alcohol for that one.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
It's weird, I like strong bitter tea, but don't like coffee. My sense of smell is pretty strong.

Top Bottom