It has been 15 years since I last had a caffeinated beverage.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So like the title says, May 10th, 2008 was the last time I had a caffeinated beverage. It was a glass bottle coke at my first wedding, and I haven't had any caffeine since then. Its not so much that I have a medical need to stay away from the stuff, but at the age of 26, I knew the stuff wasn't good for me, and vowed to cut it out of my diet. I won't lie though, I can still taste Wild Cherry Pepsi or a Cherry Coke, and I still have a craving for them even after all these years.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Not even tea or coffee? I've cut down on caffeinated sodas, I have a small can once in awhile. I need my teas, though most of them are decaf.
I also have low blood pressure so a little caffeine helps, but if I overdo it, I get jittery.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Only tea I drink is Decaffeinated, and I think Coffee tastes like death, so none of that for me. The only soda I drink anymore are Sprite, Decaf root beer, and Fanta. And all of those are occasional treats.

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
Congratulations on going so long without taking in any caffeine! Healthy habits will always be better for you in the long run!

Beyond the odd soda, I never got into caffeine until the kids came along just after I hit 30. Coffee was not something that I cared for at all, but when a co-worker got me on to sugar free energy drinks, well that sent down a different path.

I have roughly 2-3 a week, to help me get through the tougher days, though sometimes I think that I just think I need them. Plus it doesn't help that I tend to enjoy the flavour quite a bit.

Mrs. Supernova does not care for this habit at all, and I can't say I blame her. But cutting them out hasn't been as easy as I'd like to think it is.

Axaday

Citizen
I quit in college and thoroughly broke the habit, but I do occasionally have a Sprite or something when one is at hand and sometimes a coffee when I need it for medicinal purpose on the road.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Believe it or not I tried to quit caffeine once. It wasn't too bad until I noticed I wasn't able to feel stress anymore. Which sounds nice until one day you're looking at your bedside clock thinking "Oh, I'm late" but not feeling the jolt of excitement your brain knows it's supposed to be feeling any second now. I wonder if that's what being high feels like. I didn't like it. I'd rather live with the very minor chore of making sure there's always coffee in the pot.

But, um, congratulations. If you can live without it without any side effects, cool. Being addicted to anything isn't great. Even if it is delicious.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
One thing I learned about soda, once you haven't had it in a while, if you try to drink one it tastes gross. Except root beer. I don't have one often, but it's about the only fizzy sugary drink that doesn't taste nasty to me. Used to be sodas were all I ever drank.

Can't start the day without coffee though.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I have never gotten to the point where I can handle carbonation. I do not know what any carbonated drink tastes like. I just feel the fizz. No taste manages to get through.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Last night I was at a restaurant on the way home from mother's day and they had Cherry Coke. Part of me was like, "You know 15 years is a good run", but I got Fanta instead.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
I love ginger ale, melon soda, root beer, ramune flavors, and the occasional coke/pepsi variation. I am especially weak to unusual/seasonal/limited edition flavors. Usually disappointing, but I HAVE to find out what "Dreams" or whatever tastes like.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Congratulations!

I'd have said something sooner, but personally speaking, the thought of going without a caffeinated beverage for that long frightens me so immensely, I was only now able to work up the nerve to click on the thread.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Believe it or not I tried to quit caffeine once. It wasn't too bad until I noticed I wasn't able to feel stress anymore. Which sounds nice until one day you're looking at your bedside clock thinking "Oh, I'm late" but not feeling the jolt of excitement your brain knows it's supposed to be feeling any second now. I wonder if that's what being high feels like. I didn't like it. I'd rather live with the very minor chore of making sure there's always coffee in the pot.
Your anecdote creeped me out a bit. Yow.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
I remember when you were posting about it, it honestly sounded like you were in withdrawal, especially since you quit cold turkey.

I stress myself out plenty w/out caffeine. XD

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I don't do coffee, save for flavored treats like a Coffee Crisp or something, but Coke, Diet Pepsi, and the occasional Mountain Dew are my caffeine sources. Just one per day, unless it's a unique occasion.

msol

Citizen
It's wild to me how many people only get their caffeine from sugary drinks like pop and energy drinks, when coffee (the greatest drink ever made) is right there with 0 calories.

Blows my mind.

Videomaster21XX

This is how a unicorn comments
Citizen
It's wild to me how many people only get their caffeine from sugary drinks like pop and energy drinks, when coffee (the greatest drink ever made) is right there with 0 calories.

Blows my mind.
Ironically it blows my mind how many people go crazy for what to me, is the worst thing next to alcohol I've ever tasted. Seeing people lined up at the Starbucks in my work at 8PM just baffles me. Are they all getting decaf? Otherwise do you REALLY need a caffeine hit like that at eight at night?

Getting back to the taste of coffee however. I can't do it. Too bitter and nasty. Like I'm sure to others it is as you say. The greatest drink ever. But to me it'd be like if you fried some burgers in a frying pan, then collected the grease and put it in a cup and tried to drink it. That's coffee to me. Taste buds are wild yo.

(Not a big Tea fan either. Only one I can do is this Lemon Zest one with me adding lots of honey to drown out the bitter tea taste.)

Probably drink way too many surgery drinks. I have an entire mini fridge full of various flavors of Mountain Dew, and some Root beers and Ginger Ale. I try to keep them to just meals only. (Though on my day off I might have an extra)

Pretty sure if I went to the doctor they'd tell me to cut way back on it. Not sure I'm thrilled to hear that, but I probably should get a check up at the very least. I don't think I've had a doctor visit since High school which I graduated from in 2000.

I'm also not that worried about the calories. I bike nine miles to my job, stand on my feet all day, and then bike nine miles back home. Pretty sure I burn enough calories.

I've ranted long enough, but I do respect you Predaking. That's a serious accomplishment I doubt I could do.

Top Bottom