Israeli-Palestinian Conflict

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Every accusation of Israeli white phosphorus use comes from Amnesty International or Human Rights Watch, both of which have very sketchy and biased histories in this conflict in particular (which should shock exactly zero people who know the dirt on the Salvation Army or Autism Speaks). There has been no independent review or confirmation of this, and every professional media source always says it is "alleged" or "accused".

There has been evidence of Israel using white phosphorus in the past (as they've admitted to it) :

- https://www.snopes.com/news/2023/10/13/idf-white-phosphorus-oct-2023/

However, the link below also suggests that possibly recent accusations and evidence might point to previously released photos?

- https://checkyourfact.com/2023/11/0...e-show-israel-using-white-phosphorus-in-gaza/

Here is what Amnesty International has to say about it:

- https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/n...lebanon-as-cross-border-hostilities-escalate/

NOTE: THE FOLLOWING INFO ABOUT "BIAS" WAS ADDED 21/12/23 AND AS SUCH THE OP MAY NOT HAVE HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO READ/RESPOND.

As for the "credibility" of Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch:

"...Overall, we rate Amnesty International Left-Center Biased based on political advocacy that favors liberal policy. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a reasonable fact check record...

However, a list of criticism's of supposed bias can be found below.

"...Overall, we rate Human Rights Watch (HRW) Left-Center Biased based on advocacy for policies that are favored by the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact-check record..."

More info below.

In other, more personal news, one of my 7-year old Muslim pupils just told his friend not to buy Japanese Coke because "it's made in Israel"... :(

Last edited:

Ironbite4

Citizen
Love how blatant violations of the Geneva Convention are just...hand-waved away here in this thread.

Ironbite-really fills me with love and respect for my fellow man.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
I think (selective) respect for their fellow man is what's motivating it. Seriously, can we not just write both sides of this conflict off as evil and be done with it? Is there some reason we have to give either of them the benefit of the doubt, ever? I don't mean the entire Israeli and Palestinian populations of the country, just the power players doing all the actual fighting.

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
People have been hardwired by years of black and white simple morality media to only believe in a victimizer/victim relationship and to reject the mentality of "both sides" and now cannot grasp that a situation could possibly be so far out of hand and dragged on so long that neither side is innocent anymore. Not even when both sides have repeatedly said the goal is ethnic cleansing. Honestly I think the only reason people have shifted to pro-Palestine recently is because of the war in Ukraine. They draw parallels between the situations that maybe not 1:1

Ontop of all this you have to deal with the stubbornness of not wanting to be wrong. People have enough trouble stepping back, reassessing the data, and admitting to fault. It's magnitudes harder if looking at that data is going to make you realize you were backing genocide.

Ironbite4

Citizen
Hamas: Evil terrorist organization made legit because they ran a good(all things being relevant here don't get it twisted) political campaign

Government of Israel: Apparently trying to out terrorize the actual terrorists in more sickening ways.

People of Israel and Palestine: The ones getting kicked in every conceivable way and nobody seems to give a hug.

Ironbite-that's what's got me so angry.

Ultra Magnus13

Citizen
Love how blatant violations of the Geneva Convention are just...hand-waved away here in this thread.

Ironbite-really fills me with love and respect for my fellow man.

Use of white phosphorous is not against the Geneva convention. Targeting civilians, or civilian infrastructure is, or using it where it would be likely to cause significant harm to non military personel. The low civilian casualty ratio indicates it was likely a valid military target, but God forbid you take the time to read or research before you you post and react to head lines designed to foster outrage.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Update at my Islamic school.

One little Egyptian boy told me "Your country is the UK, and it supports Isray-ILL", and another Pakistani girl also said "Isray-ILL". Luckily, a 7 year old Indonesian boy said "You shouldn't say that, it's not nice to your teacher/his country".

All of these kids said it in the company of their homeroom teacher (an Uzbek teacher who once sent me anti-semetic images to my phone during a lesson with the same kids). She didn't do anything about it (the benefit of the doubt is that she didn't hear it)...

I don't know if she's teaching these kids stuff like this or other teachers. She (and perhaps another teacher) has taught them about Palestine and Israel in some capacity. Some teachers are not happy with this type of talk (a Malaysian, our Palestinian boss, etc) but these are small kids casually tossing around serious political (and for some, personal) issues in the classroom.

Last edited:

SHIELD Agent 47

Citizen
Jewish settlers in the West Bank are murdering and terrorizing Palestinians as usual.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Jewish settlers in the West Bank are murdering and terrorizing Palestinians as usual.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Last edited:

Anonymous X

Citizen
But worse than my Egyptian colleague blaming "people like him" (British/westerner) for starting the whole Palestine/Israel situation and shouting about it in my classroom full of kindergarten kids and other teaching staff, I suppose...
Shit, sorry to hear that. My gf and friends have had years of verbal shit in the workplace due to being from a certain EU countries. Nothing worse than those sort of ‘colleagues’ who drag nationalism into everything.

Wish more people would understand that a person is not their government…

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen

Latest company hit is SpaceX (though I don't believe they were wiped themselves) - mostly HR stuff looked like, bit more details on that one are in the Musk thread.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen

Latest company hit is SpaceX (though I don't believe they were wiped themselves) - mostly HR stuff looked like, bit more details on that one are in the Musk thread.
"Over the weekend, a new group calling itself “Cyber Toufan” entered the fray, targeting Israeli companies and organizations. It dumped online huge troves of data that it claims to have stolen. According to the Israeli cybersecurity firm Check Point Software Technologies Ltd, the group has the hallmarks of an Iranian state-sponsored hacking operation...

...The Cyber Toufan gang’s name appears to be inspired by the Oct. 7 attacks, which Hamas called the Toufan Al-Aqsa, or Al-Aqsa Flood..."

(Source: - https://archive.md/Ojz6a )

Teufel

Citizen
Based on the initial probe those three hostages just straight up got murdered by the IDF. I guess some credit to them for not just sweeping it under the rug and blaming it on Hamas, but, ooh boy it's even worse than I imagined.

Link

Three hostages shot dead by Israeli troops in Gaza City’s Shejaiya neighborhood Friday were shirtless, and one of them was carrying a stick with a makeshift white flag, the IDF said Saturday after an initial probe into the tragic incident.

According to a senior officer in the Southern Command, citing an initial probe, the incident began after a soldier from Bislamach Brigade’s 17th Battalion stationed in a building identified three suspicious figures exiting a building several dozen meters away.

All three were shirtless, with one of the figures carrying a stick with a makeshift white flag, according to the investigation.

The soldier, who believed the men moving toward him was an attempt by Hamas to lure IDF soldiers into a trap, immediately opened fire and shouted “terrorists!” to the other forces.

According to the probe, that soldier killed two of the men, while the third man, who was hit and wounded, fled back into the building from which he came.

At that stage, the commander of the battalion, who was also in the multi-story building where the soldier had fired from, went outside and called on the forces to stop shooting.

Meanwhile, sounds of someone — apparently the third hostage — shouting “Help” in Hebrew were heard by troops in the area.

Moments later, the third man came out of the building to which he had fled, and another soldier opened fire at him, killing him.

The soldier who opened fire upon identifying the three men did so against protocols, as did the soldier who killed the third man, according to the officer.

Still, the IDF understood that the conditions in the field led the soldiers to act in that way — the senior officer said the military has not identified any Palestinian civilians in Shejaiya in recent days.

The scenario itself, of hostages walking around in a battle zone, was not taken into account by the IDF.

Immediately following the incident, the IDF sent new protocols to ground troops for the possibility of more hostages managing to flee captivity.

“There is a possibility that hostages were abandoned or escaped, and forces should be aware of the possibility of such an encounter and pay attention to tell-tale signs, such as speaking in Hebrew, raising hands, and clothing,” the new protocols read.

Shejaiya in northern Gaza has long been seen as a key Hamas stronghold, home to some of its most elite forces and heaviest fortifications. The area where the hostages were killed was close to the scene of a deadly battle on Wednesday where nine soldiers, including two senior commanders, were killed.

I mean, yeah, you're fighting an enemy who uses suicide bombers, conceals themselves as civilians, makes extensive use of booby traps and ambushes. And I've never been a soldier or in combat so it's easy to armchair quaterback. But still. Half naked guys with a white flag. And these soldiers basically go full Uncle Jimbo yelling "they're coming right for us" and gun them down.

Also, don't worry, we have new protocols. Pay attention to tell-tale signs like... raising hands. You need NEW protocols for that? 😮

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Still, the IDF understood that the conditions in the field led the soldiers to act in that way — the senior officer said the military has not identified any Palestinian civilians in Shejaiya in recent days.

Enemy combatants who have dropped their weapons and their shirts and are waving white flags would not be okay to just slaughter on the spot either.

Top Bottom