Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

tec

Maystor missspelur
Citizen
Damn any more awesome trailers wanna drop today??

TF
Indy
GotG

This looks fun cant wait

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Curious about the Nazis considering by the looks of it the movie takes place in the 60s(judging by some of the vehicles)

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Saw the toys today, except the Adventure Series. I think they're out early, but tags were up.
They look fine, but I can't muster the drive to get these at full price.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
I’ll see it either tonight or tomorrow, but apparently a LOT of people aren’t jumping at the bit to see it.

Estimated opening box office is about $60 million. Not bad…until you consider that’s a million less than Transformers, playing on nearly a THOUSAND more screens.

“Out not with a bang, but a whimper…”

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
It's a shame this one didn't have a better opening. To me, it felt much more like a traditional Indy adventure than Crystal Skull. It also felt more real and visceral, whereas Crystal Skull had that aura of digital artifice where everything is just too clean (even the dirt). Whether that's because they shot in more practical locations and had more practical effects, or because CG has gotten that much better... I can't say. I don't know enough about the making of this particular film. The digital de-aging used in a few scenes looked much better to me than it has in previous films.

Though honestly, even when we get past the initial flashback and to present-day Indy, I never really got the impression I was looking at an 80 year-old; mid-60s, maybe. Props to Harrison Ford and his makeup people.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Saw it a while ago.

I need an explanation on how the bad guy tried to operate the Dial. From what was said, it finds spots? But how did he think he could program it?

Didn't like the lady as a semi replacement but I love how amoral she is, haha. The kid was ok, until he did certain stuff. Mads was cool but not super fun. Boyd Holbrook was kinda underutilized? He usually oozes personality to make up for the main bad guy being stuffy.

The starting was just CGI. Like, please don't give people ideas that they can keep doing this from now on. Could have kinda cut it out, ala start of last crusade. Other unnecessary part was the sleeper.

I thought overall that it was ok. Dr Jones was too crotchety to be fun. I dunno if I like it better or just keep it equal to Rise of the Beasts.

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
The beginning of the Last Crusade was meant to tie in to the Young Indy stuff, which is why it feels like a kind of irritating cash-grab. Hard to cut it out entirely, though, as it does setup the mcguffin for the story.

I honestly didn't mind Dial of Destiny's opening. Nazis were punched, thrown off trains, and shredded with a big machine gun. Bit of CG never hurt anyone.

I need an explanation on how the bad guy tried to operate the Dial. From what was said, it finds spots? But how did he think he could program it?

He explained it pretty succinctly. The first "hand' is used to select the date you want to travel to, and then it does its "calculations" and gives you the location (and presumably the date/time) where the fissure in time will be open.

Although Indy speculated the coordinates it gave out would be inaccurate due to Archimedes not accounting for continental drift. He may have thought that because once he saw that watch on the Nazi's wrist (same one that was on the body in Archimedes tomb), he knew they must've ended up much further in the past than WWII.

And then, when they were in the past and actually speaking to Archimedes, Helena deduced that the Dial was actually just a "fixed deck" like her card trick earlier, and that it was designed to only ever transport people back in time to that specific moment in history because Archimedes wanted some kind of help (whether that was help fending off the Romans, or help from someone with future knowledge to further his inventions... it was never really said).

Last edited:

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
There was an explanation?! Oh dang, I took a bathroom break when the kid fell up to the motorcycle catch up. If there was an explanation there, I must have missed it.

Oh, cool on the card parallel.

On the intro start, I just kept looking at Indy's face.

Ryougabot

Citizen
time.jpg

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Indi 5 has lost its number 1 spot and gotten beaten by a low/mid budget movie that Disney tried to bury after they bought Fox, the film that trashing Indi is called: The Sound of Freedom, released by Angel studios

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
I'll reserve my judgment on the film until AFTER I've seen it, but given how Crystal Skull turned out, I'm in no hurry to see it. Granted, I didn't think Crystal Skull was absolutely horrible, it just didn't feel like an Indy film in a lot of ways.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
Indi 5 has lost its number 1 spot and gotten beaten by a low/mid budget movie that Disney tried to bury after they bought Fox, the film that trashing Indi is called: The Sound of Freedom, released by Angel studios
For further context: the film languished on Fox’s shelf until Angel Studios (founded by the people sued a decade ago by studios for their filtering/editing of Hollywood films of objectionable content and then selling them) picked up distribution rights from the film’s producers (after wrestling said rights away from Disney). Angel Studios is Christio-family centric studio running the same-named streaming service of family friendly and religious content. Their last release was “His Only Son”, released on Easter to similarly modest success. They spent $5 million to secure the distribution rights to this $14.5 million film, and likely have already made a solid profit ($14.2 million opening).

And “trashing” is a strong word for a film that made $3 million more than Indy on the Fourth of July (just the day), when most Americans were partaking in group activities, not going to the theater. Sound of Freedom cratered over 71% THE NEXT DAY. A good weekend will probably net the film another 3-6 million before it fades from theaters in a couple weeks.

There isn’t some grand message here aside from how good marketing, good timing schedule and good budgeting can garner success without being a $250 million tentpole that has to bring in half a billion JUST to break even.

Top Bottom