IDW Valentines Day Romeo & Juliet Special!

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Previouslee, on Mine Owne Ponee...
3012537__safe_artist-colon-pencils_cheese+sandwich_pinkie+pie_earth+pony_pony_g4_idw_season+10_spoiler-colon-comic_spoiler-colon-comic95_blushing_dialogue_duo_f.jpg

3248716__safe_artist-colon-zeroonesunray_cheese+sandwich_pinkie+pie_earth+pony_pony_g4_-dot--dot--dot-_and+that27s+how+li27l+cheese+was+made_comic_dialogue_duo_.png

3188024__safe_artist-colon-jaanhavi_cheese+sandwich_li27l+cheese_pinkie+pie_earth+pony_pony_g4_book_family_father+and+child_father+and+son_female_high+res_hoof+.png

Two horses, both alike in enjoying a goode partee, did doth find eache others companee most agreeable.

Are they destined for yonder grave or can they finde a lighter recompense for their dalliance?
3222968__safe_artist-colon-jenna+ayoub_official+comic_cheese+sandwich_pinkie+pie_earth+pony_pony_g4_idw_official_comic+cover_female_high+res_male_my+little+pony.jpg

Okay, I'm not keeping that up the entire review. No more Olde Englifhe for me!

So how is it?

Well, if you read ANY of the other Classics Reimagined books, then you probably already know what to expect from this one-shot. Fourth wall breaks. Unusual but slightly charming art that grows on you. It's about on par with the other books in this series. I will say, I feel like this one shot plays things a little more straight than the other books. There's still fourth wall breaks and jokes, but fewer of them than in some of the other issues. That might be a good or a bad thing, depending on how you feel about those.

But it's still fun. And sweet. And....c'mon! You can't say you're not curious on if they actually kill Pinkie and Cheese in this one, right? I'll never tell! Except in the spoilers, I WILL be telling in the spoilers. But...c'mon!

One thing I'll mention. As of this post, they haven't announced any more of these Classics Reimagined series. Maybe we'll see more in the future, or maybe this is the last one. If this IS the last one, then they at least went out on a sweet note. I've enjoyed these series FAR more than I originally thought I would. And I actually recommend them, if you're up for a more unusual Pony comic experience. This team did good work.

The issue starts off with Spike narrating the story. And he's really the source of MOST of the meta fourth-wall breaking humor for this issue. He's determined to "fix" William Shakespeare's story.

"Blood? Discord said this was supposed to be a LOVE story!" You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "never get involved in a shipping war on Discord", but only SLIGHTLY less well-known is "never trust a draconequus when a prank is on the line"!

I do kind of find it funny that one family is ALL the Mane 6. And all of the other family are the background and secondary characters. It's cute.

The Montagues/Backups sneak into the Capulet/Mane's party. Using the greatest distraction of all...BIG HATS!

I'm not sure if "blue cheesecake" is any good or not. But the comic got me curious.

DJ Pon3 is still the DJ for the party, even when she's probably just playing "Greensleeves" or something.

And, from across the room, Romeo/Cheese can't help but notice the beautiful eyes of Juliet/Pinkie....her googly, spring-loaded eyes. We've all been there, right?

"Pin the tail on the dragon" is kind of a weird game when one of your friends IS a dragon....and also right behind the poster. Seriously, Spike/Narrator just kind of crawls out of the wall, here. It's a weird scene.

Pinkie/Juliet and Cheese/Romeo having a cute little disagreement about cupcakes or cheese being the best party food is pretty charming, really.

And so they go on a romantic moonlit walk together...in the trampoline garden. Bouncing together through the night. Everyone is 20% more attractive when they're bouncing, that's just science.

"So, what'll it be? The poisons that make you appear to sleep eternally? The rubber knives? The buckets of red corn syrup?!" Discord/Monk has a WIDE variety of useful tools to look like a murder happened. You never know when you might have to make a quick escape out of town, after all.

But, Rainbow/Capulet #4 finds out about the Montague's crashing their party last night and challenges them to...a party duel! Party canons at dawn! Literally! We get a little fight scene and everything! It's actually kind of cute, Rainbow Dash fighting Capper.

But, Cadence/Mayor finds out about the duel and all the mess it caused and declares a party ban! No parties, not even for little Flurry Heart, who just looks happy to be included. Flurry just looks so happy with Shining Armor using a little baby carrier to have her close to his chest.

But, it's just party probation, not DOUBLE SECRET party probation, so they just decide to have a small party to teach the two families a lesson.

Discord/Monk helps Romeo/Cheese and Juliet/Pinkie...*SHOCK*...be....I can barely even type this...be BORING! They throw a quiet, reasonable party. With one white banner. And a...reasonably sized vegetable platter. And...standard-issue chairs. And...oh no...not...sugar-free gum! It's horrible. HORRIBLE!

"Discord, how could you?" "What? Would you have preferred I followed the ORIGINAL story?" Discord/Monk has a point Fluttershy/Capulet #1. Cleaning up after the party in that scenario would have been SO MUCH WORSE! You'd need so many sponges!

"Discord! Sometimes stories can just have happy endings, you know?" "Oh, all right. Just for YOU, my dear" But, instead, Discord switches their bodies. No, not really, this comic has to wrap up pretty soon. You know, it occurs to me this would be a MUCH different story with Fluttershy and Discord in the roles of Romeo and Juliet. Hm...

Oh, and it turns out that the "ancestor" Capulet and Montague are ALSO a couple now and never wanted to start a fight in the first place....SUPER HAPPY ENDING! Weird and random that they're still alive, but, meh.

I do like the little adjusted verse on the last page. And Spike celebrating the happy ending. "Take THAT William Shakespeare" indeed!

I'll admit, I'm a little disappointed that we never get to see Pinkie and Cheese actually kiss. But, hey, nosie nuzzles are almost as nice.

Last edited:

Top Bottom