IDW Unicorn of Odd #4

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Previously, on My Little Pony...
UoO_3_9.png

Where were YOU when you first found out that a time-travelling Sunny was responsible for the destruction of G4's entire world?

(....No, of course not really!)

Say it with me: There's no place like home. There's no place like home!
STL295192.jpg

Unfortunately, I am not able to get to the comic shop today. Hopefully soon! But, until then, the thread's up for others.

Dvandom

Citizen
I won't get my copy for a few weeks get (monthly shipments), but I expect Dorothy will do the high speed running trick rather than clicking her heels and just waking up in Kansas. After all, they've been aggressively using stuff from the books that didn't make it in the movie.

---Dave

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I made it to the comic shop!

And, yeah, I liked this! Still has that clever, meta writing that I enjoy. Still has that artwork that I've grown to like. Overall, just a solid book. I recommend this, if you think you can get used to the artwork.

I'm not sure what the future has in store for this team. There's another one shot a few months from now doing Romeo and Juliet, and I'll be picking that up. But, I'm not sure what they'll be doing after that. But, I kind of hope IDW keeps this going. I've had more fun with this than I thought I would. It's been a odd, but surprising treat.

"Wait, if we don't have the rights to the music, what are we supposed to be singing?" "Don't sing ANYTHING! Editorial has to clear any music!" "Just parade in silence!" Sometimes I do really love this book.

"I don't even wanna LOOK at you till they refill your neck" Yeah, Pinkie/Scarecrow losing her straw WOULD be pretty horrifying if this artwork wasn't so cute.

"Wait until you see how fast he is when he's CATCHING THESE HOOVES!" Rarity/Tin Woodsman is ready to throw down!

"For Lion and Toto, bejeweled golden collars" "Hey, we're matchies!" Hmm...taking Fluttershy/Lion OUT of one set of chains and then putting MUCH NICER chains on her. That's...something.

Oh, and Rarity/Tin Woodsman gets to meet up with the "flying monkey" who dropped her after all!

And, yeah, Oz/Odd turns out to be Trixie. They ARE both Great and Powerful, after all. Easy to see it coming, but still, it fits. Also, Trixie is from Appleloosa, Nebraska. This is (comic) canon, now!

Also, Trixie/Odd/Oz has a Twlight/Glinda puppet. It's a little disturbing! Oh, Trixie's face when the "puppet" is insulting her is priceless!

"Well, you don't really need them. Babies have brains, and babies are dumb." Her logic is flawless. Also, "Bran new brains"....heh.

I WOULD buy that book about Trixie as Sherlock and Starlight as Watson!

And Trixie/Oz makes Fluttershy/Lion chug a entire gallon of orange juice to get her courage! Mean...but not TOO mean. Just the right amount of mean, really.

Trixie's exasperation with everyone ignoring her uncharacteristically good advice is fair.

Leaving Pinkie/Scarecrow in charge might have made sense in the book....but I worry about in this comic. She's going to force everyone to wear pies as shoes or something, eventually.

They move through the other adventures FAST while on the road to Twilight/Glinda the Witch of the South. Evil Trees. Brushables as a stand-in for the china people, which is kind of clever. And a giant spider! No adventure is complete without a giant spider!

"You didn't bring any houses to drop on people, did you? We'll be watchin' you!" Scootaloo's suspicion squint is a great touch.

"It's good that I'm brave now, because how else could I let you go?" D'AWWWW! That's just TOO CUTE!

The ending feels a little abrupt. But, eh, limited page space. What can you do?

Dvandom

Citizen
Hm, can't find the Romeo & Juliet one on Diamond's site. When's it supposed to come out?

---Dave

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
It's called a "Valentine's Day Special". And right now, it's scheduled to be released on February 7.

Since this is IDW, that is VERY much subject to change. But, it should come out right around Valentine's Day.

Dvandom

Citizen
Ah, it doesn't show up as "My Little Pony Classics," only under "MLP Classics," in Diamond's cruddy search engine.

---Dave

Top Bottom