IDW Unicorn of Odd #3

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Previously, on My Little Pony...
3218505__safe_official+comic_rarity_unicorn_idw_axe_my+little+pony+classics+reimagined-colon-+the+unicorn+of+odd_oh+no_the+unicorn+of+odd_the+wizard+of+oz_weapo.jpg

That's right! The REAL Wizard of Oz is actually pretty hardcore! But, don't worry, Rarity made the axe a tasteful yet fashionable sheath and now they have tea together on the weekends. That's actually how she gets those iconic curls of hers.

Ain't nobody can read this comic! No one can even SEE this comic! I've never even seen it! Not nobody, not nohow!
3167183__safe_artist-colon-jenna+ayoub_official+comic_trixie_pony_unicorn_g4_idw_official_spoiler-colon-comic_comic+cover_curtains_female_hat_hiding_high+res_ma.jpg

Well, my local comic shop didn't get their shipment in today. So, I can't review it. Hopefully, they'll get it in by the weekend, we'll see.

But, the thread's up for others if anyone else wants to talk about it.

Dvandom

Citizen
Yeah, the Classics Reimagined line is still using the G4 cast. Plus there's the occasional "best of (character)" mini-collections to let IDW recycle old content.

---Dave

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Yeah, but so far only in these out of continuity stories. I think they're fun. But, your mileage will vary.

Is this IDW hedging their bets? Almost certainly! But, it's kind of nice to see the G4 cast still in new stories, even if it's not really about them.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
"A new comic came out!? Well, why didn't you say that in the first place? Come on in!"

My comic shop got their comics in today, so I finally got this comic!

So, yeah, this is still a fun time for me. The art is still what you've come to expect. I've grown fond of it, but I know it's not for everyone. The writing is still clever and fun. It's really all I want out of a comic about the Mane 6 playing the parts of the Wizard of Oz. There's SO MANY fun lines in this issue.

This is slight spoilers but...if you've been looking forward to seeing the Wicked Witch of the West/Chrysalis...I think you'll be a touch disappointed. And this issue DOES summarize a lot of the plot pretty quickly. They have a lot of chapters to get through, and this is where the story takes a hit due to only being 4 issues. But, it's still done in a fun way.

I had a fun time with it. I still recommend it if you liked the past issues.

We start where we left off last time, with our heroes cornered by wild tigers...I mean kalidahs/diamond dogs.

"Bon Chance, my furry friend" I'm sure this is a reference to something, but it's lost on me.

"YAY! I scared them! *claps*" Honestly, just do this again and they'll die of cuteness!

I do kind of like how Rarity/Tin Woodsman only threatens to chop the log while the kalidah's are crossing instead of actually doing it like in the book. They aren't so unreasonable, after all!

"Our travellers found a roaring river cutting through the yellow brick road" "Now this is just plain bad plannin', that's what it is" Applejack/Dorothy has a fair point!

"Bye Forever!" Pinkie/Scarecrow was ready to make this center of the river her new home. I guess she would have been on the end of a stick, so it would've been familiar territory for a scarecrow, at least.

"The lion, however, was much too heavy for either of them to move" Don't tell Fluttershy/Cowardly Lion that. The last thing that poor girl needs is body image issues.

Also, Zephyr gets a mention from Fluttershy! I guess the Lion has a big brother in this universe?

Also, Rarity arguing with the narrator and refusing to leave Fluttershy/Lion behind is kind of a odd mood.

Fluttershy, dressed as a lion, being carried by field mice while she sleeps, in a field of poppies. It SHOULD be too cutsey-wutsey...but it's JUST cutsey-wutsey enough!

"Does that seem like some...lion who's going to eat you?" You make a fair argument, let me let you into my house IMMEDIATELY!

"A rich recluse who can change his wardrobe at a drop of a hat? Sounds like my type!" At least Rarity/Woodsman admits it.

"OOOH! Required Accessories! I like this place already!" The gang is stylin' now! Emerald Sunglasses really do go with anything.

"I am Dorothy the small...and, well, kind of ornery." To be fair, she DID skip lunch. It's hard to plan for meals when you're travelling on the road.

This version of the Wizard kind of looks like a male version of Starlight. Not sure if that's what they were going for or not.

Applejack/Dorothy is REALLY willing to give up these shoes to anyone. Too bad no one wants to take them.

I cannot for the life of me figure out what the version of the Wizard that Pinkie/Scarecrow sees is. A...canoe full of oats?

Also, a surprise cameo from Sunny Starscout! I really wasn't expecting that. So, Sunny was the evil mastermind the whole time!

"I don't wanna squish anyone. Do we even have anymore houses? I can maybe hold it up if you guys slide her under." Would YOU let Fluttershy smush you if she asked REALLY nicely? I...might...

I do like that Pinkie/Scarecrow is the only one who isn't effected by walking through the desert. The heat just makes her lighter! Rub it in, why don't you!

Also, surprise Owlicious cameo!

Fluttershy/Cowardly Lion scaring away a bunch of Changelings that turned into her...sure is something. That really shouldn't work, but hey....we need to get to wrapping this up, I guess.

Rainbow's reaction to being cast as a flying monkey is great! The Flying Monkies are ALSO the Wonderbolts.

"Honestly? I like your little hat. It's really *snicker* awesome" Yeah, well, that's your future wife you're talking to. So, there!

Pinkie/Scarecrow gets ripped to shreds by Flying Monkey #2/Spitfire. I honestly didn't think they'd do that.

"The Cowardly Lion was spared, for the Wicked Princess of the West planned to break her and make her a steed" This got VERY kinky VERY quickly!

And now FINALLY we get to meet Chrysalis/Wicked Witch of the West! Enjoy her...cherish her...because she's around for all of 4 and 1/2 pages before she gets bucked and bucketed.

"Why is everyone in this land so obsessed with shoes, dang...Wait, y'all weren't related were you? I didn't mean to..." Applejack/Dorothy puts her hoof in her mouth again. Although, she really is reasonable here, and offers to just GIVE the shoes to the Witch if she'll just let her and her friends go.

"Wait, you're weak to water and you just have mops and buckets lying around your castle? You would think you would...I don't know...avoid water?" "What was I going to do, NOT have my servants mop my floors?" Okay, the Witch makes a fair point...I guess. But...would the Witch melt if she was doused in Bleach or some other chemical? There ARE other cleaning solutions, when you think about it.

"Mark my words, someday they'll make a musical where I'm the hero!" And they'll call that musical...Witchy! No, wait...Westward? Oh, we'll figure out something, I'm sure.

"Wait, this is only issue three! What the hay is the next issue about?!" I love this kind of meta humor. I can understand it not being for everyone, though. And...well, if you're familiar with the original book, there's actually quite a bit AFTER the Witch gets killed, there, too. The Lion fights a Giant Spider! But, who will play the spider? Discord? I don't know how much we're actually going to get. Are we actually going to get the village of the porcelain people, after all?

Last edited:

Top Bottom