IDW Unicorn of Odd #1

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Previously, on My Little Pony...
200753__safe_trixie_crossover_oz+the+great+and+powerful_the+wizard+of+oz.jpg
347597__safe_carrot+top_golden+harvest_exploitable+meme_meme_newspaper_newspaper+meme_the+wizard+of+oz.jpg
2868285__safe_screencap_applejack_pinkie+pie_rainbow+dash_rarity_spike_twilight+sparkle_alicorn_big+cat_dragon_earth+pony_lion_mermaid_pegasus_pony_unicorn_scar.png
3164015__safe_screencap_charity+kindheart_coco+pommel_tin+orbit_violet+cream_earth+pony_pony_g4_made+in+manehattan_background+pony_beauty+mark_charity_clothes_c.png

1210532__safe_spike_starlight+glimmer_trixie_pony_unicorn_idw_cover_dorothy+gale_female_mare_oz+the+great+and+powerful_parody_the+wizard+of+oz.jpg
2155302__safe_edit_screencap_bon+app39tit_gourmand+ramsay_ruby+slippers+g4_dog_pony_whirling+mungtooth_growing+up+is+hard+to+do_appleloosa_background+pony_ballo.jpg

...Huh...G4 actually had a LOT of references to Wizard of Oz, didn't they? Kind of funny this didn't happen sooner.

WEEEEE'RE...not allowed to use any of the songs, because those are copyrighted.
STL278057.jpg

So, how was it?

Well, art-wise, this is the same artist from the Little Fillies miniseries. They have a odd style, but, speaking personally, it's grown on me. It's not going to be for everyone, but it's solid. There's something kind of nostalgic about it.

Writing wise, this IS a different writer than the Little Fillies mini. And they're fine. They're clearly having fun with this. There's still TONS of times the characters break the fourth wall to wink at the readers. That's going to annoy some people, but, again, I actually kind of like it. It gives the book a fun atmosphere and makes the whole book a little more enjoyable to me than just a straight adaptation. Not that you COULD really do regular adaptation when your cast is colorful equines, but still. This is "legally speaking" based on the books, but...I don't think we're going to get anything that the movie left out. And they DEFINITELY have a few nods towards the movie. There's a few really good lines here and there. The writing is solid on this book.

If there's one minus, it's that I don't know if there's going to be a subtle "deeper" story here like there was in Little Fillies. While that mini was a adaptation of Little Woman on the surface, it was REALLY about a young author trying to find her voice, and balancing respecting her inspirations while finding ways to do her own thing. There IS....a plot point that COULD turn into something similar, but I'm not sure if it will or not. Right now, it mostly is just a tongue-in-cheek adaptation of Wizard of Oz.

And that's fine! This is enjoyable as is. Again...as surprising as it is...I think I recommend checking this out. I'm enjoying these Classics Reimagined books FAR more than I thought I would.

And right away on the first page we get our first fourth-wall breaking joke. Rarity (Dorothy's Mother) is originally the "wife" of Big Mac (Dorothy's father), and instantly wants to give him a makeover...so the narrator replaces her character with Granny Smith (now Dorothy's Grandmother). It SHOULD have been Fluttershy! Flutter-Mac for LIFE!!!

And on the second page...the SECOND fourth-wall break. (Does that actually make it a Eighth-Wall Break?) Applejack/Dorothy refuses to wear a dress throughout this entire story, and gets some overalls instead. I don't know if this will be too much meta for people, but I'm here for this.

Winona/Toto is just so happy to get some belly rubs. It's just a cute panel.

Heh. Applejack/Dorothy just looks so bored during the twister taking her away. She even takes a nap, instead of getting knocked out. No sign of the Witch/Old Lady who wanted to kill Toto. I guess we won't see her until later.

And instead of Munchkins, we get the Breezies. That works. It's kind of nice to see them again.

Applejack/Dorothy's reaction to her house "smush"-ing the "Witch" is actually pretty great. And we get to meet Celestia/Glinda.

They DO use the Silver (Horse) Shoes, like in the book. BUT, they also have a single Ruby on them, too, as a nod to the movie. So, they manage to have their cake and eat it too. Just barely clever, but I appreciate it.

Now, here's the part that I think MIGHT turn into a deeper plot point. Applejack doesn't like that the most powerful magic-user and the ruler in this world...is actually a male unicorn. We get confirmation of the 4 Witches/Princesses of this land, and Applejack just doesn't like that a woman isn't ALSO the ruler of the land. I'm not sure if they're actually going to DO anything with this. Oz MIGHT turn out to be Trixie posing as a man, because that's the only way she thinks she can get respect? But...I kind of hope that isn't where they're going with it. It feels a little too heavy handed for as goofy of a book as this ultimately is.

"I AIN'T CRYING! I just got some princess dust in my eye, okay?!" WOW! Kind of a darker joke than I was expecting....keep it up!

"WEEEE'RE..." "I'd really appreciate it if ya didn't sing, though" "Don't worry about that. Only the book's in the public domain. We don't have the rights to any of the songs" Heh. Like I said. There's a few good lines.

And once Applejack/Dorothy leaves....Celestia/Glinda lifts up the house reveling a perfectly healthy Luna/Witch of the East. It was all just a scam to get the story going and get rid of some supposedly "cursed" horseshoes. They aren't allowed to leave any character permanently "smushed" in this comic, after all. Which makes me wonder what they'll end up doing with Chrysalis/Wicked Witch of the West.

"Toto, don't bark at that. It's not even alive." When has that EVER stopped a dog?

And the book ends with meeting Pinkie Pie/Scarecrow. And she has to hum the Yellow Brick Road song, since that way no one can tell what the lyrics are. Cute.

Last edited:

Top Bottom