IDW G5 The Mane Event Special!

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Previously, on My Little Pony...
2845925__safe_screencap_posey+bloom_earth+pony_pony_g5_mane+melody_my+little+pony-colon-+tell+your+tale_spoiler-colon-g5_spoiler-colon-my+little+pony-colon-+tel.jpg

Now that she got her mane done, Posey's ready for some THRASH METAL at kareoke night tonight. She's got to get all those frustrations out somehow!

Pipp asks Sparky why...why he's a hairy little guy? Magic Shampoo filled his head full of hair! Long, beautiful HAIR!
STL306755.jpg

(Actually, dragons having hair is pretty much standard this generation. It's weird to think that Sparky could actually have hair once he grows up.)

So, how is it?

Pretty solid, actually. In this special, we get 3 shorter stories all centered around...hair. It's not the most exciting theme, but it's the one we are given. And we get some nice slice of life stories in this issue. I think the word to best sum up this issue is: Pleasant. This is a aggressively pleasant little issue. It's not the funniest. And it's not the most eventful. Despite calling it "The Mane Event". But, everyone's in character and the stories are just a nice time with these characters.

We also get 3 different artists in this issue. And the good news is that they're all pretty good! The first story probably has the most cartoony, animated style of artwork, filled with fun reaction shots and comic out takes. The second story is just SPOT ON for Tell Your Tale's art style, so much so that you might mistake it for a screencap-comic at first glance. But, it's actually more lively, it's well done. And the third artist is the cutest of the three, being the same artist from the Violette Rainbow issues of the main comic.

Overall, I'm starting to think comic artists are having a better time with TYT's art style than they did for Make Your Mark's style. Something about it just seems to click with artists better than MYM's style. Maybe not having to translate 3D models just helps, I don't know.

But, is it worth the $6? Well, it is longer than a regular issue. And I do think it's pretty well done for being slice of life stories. It's not going to blow you away, but I think you'll close the book with a smile on your face. It's just nice.

The first story is all about Pipp getting a shipment of new hair products. She doesn't know what they do, since they're apparently not labeled on the actual jars and bottles. And she's unable to tell hair gel apart from shampoo for some reason. So, she just tests them out on Sparky and herself. Making him grow a head full of hair...which is a big problem...I guess. I mean, it's a lot of hair, but it's not constantly growing or anything.

And they're in a salon. This is a easily solvable problem that does NOT get solved the obvious way. I guess they didn't want to show scissors to little kids? I guess despite this entire issue involving hair, they probably still don't want little kids taking a scissors to their Pony toys thinking that the manes or tails will grow back?

It's not much of a story, but we do get some nice reaction shots from Pipp who is just panicking the whole time.

Also, the delivery pony who drops off Pipp's package is just DONE with today. There's a story there. He's just ready for her to sign for the package and he's OUT of there.

Pipp is so happy to see Sparky, though. It's adorable.

Apparently, hair care packages come with a free glitter bomb in Equestria.

Its also pretty cute that Sparky tries to imitate Pipp's singing as she's washing his...scalp.

Sparky's INTO his new locks. Can't blame him, really. Give him a trim, and I think he'd look pretty decent with red hair.

"I'll be labeling all these new products ASAPP" Hmm...I'm not sure if that extra P is a spelling error, or a clever way for Pipp Petals to add P's to things. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt...for now!

The second story has Hitch and Zipp debate the merits of various hair maintenance schedules. Zipp is a no fuss, just run a dab of mousse and comb through her hair in the morning and GO type of gal. Hitch is someone who takes hours on his hair in the morning so that he looks professional.

Zipp is looking around for Hitch so that they can watch Flight Club together. Sadly, by talking about Flight Club, she just broke the first rule of Flight Club.

There's a running gag of people imagining a Little Moose in Zipp's hair whenever she mentions mousse that's pretty cute. It almost looks official. I'm pretty sure this isn't a reference to a obscure toyline that I'm forgetting, but I'm not 100% sure. So, good on you for making me wonder, comic!

*Googles* Oh, this IS a reference to a old toy. A "Pony Friend" from G1, Oakly. If I ever actually knew about this, I've forgotten about it. This issue instantly earns a few points for pulling a obscure reference out of nowhere.

"Unlike you, I don't tend to keep small animals in my mane" Touche, Zipp! Although, a hair moose would probably be preferable to say, a hair buffalo.

"You do look very sheriff-y" I can't deny that. That is indeed the hair of a sheriff!

And then Misty careens helplessly through town in a magic ball of her own making. Because we have to be reminded these ARE still the Mane characters, after all. I'm a little surprised that they already have Misty learning spells in the comic. That's something that JUST happened in the show. Hasbro must have given them a little heads up.

And by saving Misty, Zipp and Hitch end up switching hairstyles...somehow. So, they learn to appreciate each other's hair styles. I'll admit, Zipp just looks good in any hair style.

And even after rolling uncontrollably in a giant bubble and probably being nauseous from the experience, Misty finds the time to complement these two on their new mane-styles. Say what you will about Misty, but she has manners!

The third and final story sees Izzy finish up making a snack tray, ending up with tons of glitter and stickers in her hair. So, we get to see how Izzy takes care of her naturally curly hair as she narrates to SENIOR BUTTERSCOTCH! Even in the comics, this guy finds a way to show up.

This is ALMOST done in the style of a "how to" guide for little kids. It's just that some of the ingredients she puts in her hair are entirely fictional. But, some of these involve real hair care tips, like using honey and avocado. It's a real thing, I guess.

Is Izzy making Senior Butterscotch talk this entire story adorable or incredibly sad? She seems content, so I guess I'll go with adorable.

Given that Izzy declares this a "Wash Day", I have to wonder how often Izzy actually takes a bath? Given some of the unicorn's OTHER habits, it worries me.

"Taking care of your mane is just like making art" That feels like a stretch, but I feel like they're trying to make hair-care sound fun for the kids in the audience so I'll allow it.

"MMM...I could be one of Sunny's smoothies" Must...resist...JOKE!

Izzy also tries out some different mane-styles. They're all cute on her. Even though, some seem like they'd take a awful lot of work, just to undo it all and try a different one.

Last edited:

Top Bottom