IDW G5 Kenbucky Roller Derby #3

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Previously, on My Little Pony...
3311824__safe_artist-colon-natalie+haines_idw_sunny+starscout_zipp+storm_earth+pony_pegasus_pony_g5_spoiler-colon-comic_spoiler-colon-g5comic_angry_cross-dash-p.png

Zipp! Stop! If you don't, Sunny will go full on Pony Life on us! No one wants that!

Get ready for a real swerve, it's time for more Kenbucky Roller Derby!

STL311186.jpg

So, how is it?

Well, the first thing you might notice once you open up the book is that we have a new artist this issue. This is the same artist from the Camp Bighoof miniseries. So...if you followed what I thought of that miniseries...you know how I feel about this style of artwork. And, look, the artist for the first two issues probably just couldn't do a monthly schedule, I get that. But...I wish they had found someone else to fill in for the second half of this miniseries.

But, the artist is...trying. There's a attempt at making the characters expressive. Sometimes it works, and other times they look like they just got done staring directly into the sun all afternoon. It's probably a step up from the work on the Camp Bighoof miniseries. But, it's just a bit of a step down from the last few issues of this particular miniseries.

But, the writing is still good. It's clever. It's got fun lines. Things happen. This issue is mostly a flashback focusing on Tracy's backstory, so we learn more about this new character. It's told pretty well, and it keeps things interesting enough for a single issue.

Overall, I think is a okay issue. The sudden change in artist mid-miniseries is jarring, but it doesn't ruin the issue for me. It's going to be weird when this story is eventually collected in trade, but for right now, it's acceptable. These things happen.

"Oh this? It's just a albatross around my neck, reminding me of one of my deepest regrets of my entire derby career." A trauma souvenir? Neat! My trauma souvenir is my old college ID!

"You mean bird-en" Izzy will never let a pun pass her by, no matter how inappropriate it is for the moment.

I think if more people were reading this comic, there would be TONS of fan-art of Wyld Oats. A goth roller derby pony? Yeah, she'd have fans.

Sugar3...Sugar Cubed...ugh...that's such a nerdy name. I kind of love it. And Sugar is SO huggy around Tracy! It is pretty...sweet.

Honestly, all of the members of Tracy's old team have real "winners" for names. Whinny Streak. Gal-Up. Someone spent a full week thinking up horse puns. I appreciate it!

I can't tell if this flashback is supposed to be taking place in the "80s" or the "90s"? The big hair references feel like a 80s thing. But, the backgrounds they use remind me more of Saved By the Bell, which I consider more of a 90s thing.

"We'll WHEELY miss you" Oof, that pun came out of nowhere and body-checked me.

And of course, Tracy tries to use a over-complicated rejected move from the old team captain and gets everyone on her team hurt because of it.

"Skate-ality" You shouldn't joke, I'm pretty sure that really was in the newest Mortal Kombat.

Well, one of the girls has a bum leg, now. You know what you got to do. *gestures out back*

Tracy's room is surprisingly girly. Given her "cowgirl" vibe, I expected something more rugged, I guess.

"Wait, what's THAT?!" "Back in those days, phones had cords on 'em" Young whipper-snappers not knowing their history! Why back in MY day...phones with cords WERE back in my day! *SIGH* I still OWN corded phones, for goodness sake! They're not THAT old *cuddles with his old phone*

And so, it turns out that the move they've been trying to do was created with Tracy in mind. She hadn't been joining in with the practice and THAT'S why it didn't work. Not because it was overly complicated and dangerous for those who tried it. No siree!

So, Tracy's old team loses the competition. And Tracy wants to quit, but everyone wants her to stay on the team and they have a big group hug. D'awww...

...But, then she retires from the team a little later, anyway. That's...a little weird. I get the feeling Hasbro didn't want them to do TOO sad of a story, so they forced them to change it to a happier ending. Which doesn't really make sense for the story they're telling. It just makes things weird that everyone forgives Tracy and still likes her, but she just leaves them all anyway. But...meh?

Top Bottom