IDW G5 Kenbucky Roller Derby #2

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Previously, on My Little Pony...
3282261__safe_izzy+moonbow_sunny+starscout_earth+pony_pony_unicorn_g5_idw_spoiler-colon-comic_spoiler-colon-g5comic_-colon-3_comic_dialogue_duo_female_hoofshake.png

"You come across a gazebo in the middle of the field..."

Now get ready to block some jammers! ...I THINK I'm using those terms correctly?...
STL303213.jpg

So, how is it?

This is still pretty good! The comic actually does take a little time to explain the rules of Roller Derby to those of us in the audience who might not know them (like me...), so that gives it a couple of extra points. And I think this issue feels less condensed than last issue. There's JUST enough room to breathe for some of these plotlines. There is one character moment that feels like it just...flip flops within two pages. But...it's fine. I'm willing to overlook it.

And this art is actually really good! It's expressive. It's colorful. It just works for this comic. I do still have a slight problem with some of the chins in some of the panels, but at this point I'm nit-picking. This works for the Tell Your Tale style they're going for. It might just me a "me" problem. In every other respect, this is top-tier pony art.

So...yeah, I actually think this is worth picking up. It's a fun time. IDW sometimes surprises me with weird ideas that end up working out.

Hey, we get names for those two new ponies from last issue. Sniffles and Oopsie Daisy! Sniffles...should go home. Although, Izzy's tanking those sneezes like a champ. This counts as her bath for the week.

It's really saying something when you're best option for teammates are pegasnails. They're just so happy on their little wheels.

It's weird that Oopsie Daisy can flatten a snail just by running them over. The shells...they do NOTHING!

And I guess the ponies from the other team have nothing better to do today than to laugh at these practice drills. I mean...it actually is a fun show, but still, they should be practicing.

Pop Tarts heal all wounds.

But then, the slammers scoop up the recruits while Sunny isn't looking! I don't know why they didn't take the snails, too. They were the best players out there.

And then...we find out ponies re-invented rollerskating sometime between 53 and 115 years ago. Twilight's spell sent pony civilization back to the stone age. That's...interesting. I wonder if that gives us a idea for when G4 was? So, they're still keeping with sometime around 100 years ago. That's actually pretty consistent with the ONE hint we got in the comics during the Discord arc. At least for the comics.

Yes, Sunny, let your anger flow! Embrace the POWER of the dark side!

...I guess they really did take Oopsie Daisy and Sniffles with them. Jokes on them! They'll all be too sick to compete after spending time around Sniffles!

"Et tu, Zippus?" Heh. Then falls the alicorn! You can tell Sunny feels bad because she goes full chibi!

"Have you been able to do this the whole time?" The snails are LEARNING! Soon....SOON!

"I covered my hooves in competitive peanut butter and put them in my mouth!" That's...a saying, all right!

And...Pipp finds a excuse to sing. Pipp ALWAYS finds a excuse to sing. They practice to her music to get the groove down.

But then Tracy finds out they entered the Derby and refuses to train them anymore if they compete in it. I mean...maybe if you explain WHY then Sunny would listen? Everyone's being kind of dodgy about WHY this is supposed to be especially dangerous.

But...Tracy just comes right back the very next page...what a...turn of event?

Heh, someone made a practice dummy of one of the Jammer ponies for them to throw around. Don't mess with Izzy!

Oh, and IDW's looking for fan-art to put in the Set Your Sail comic letter pages. So, draw 'em if you got 'em!

Last edited:

Top Bottom