IDW G5 Camp Bighoof #5

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Previously, on My Little Pony...
sunny_sleeping.png

BEHOLD the Alicorn! Majestic and regal even in slumber! Her every mumble about "pancakes" in her sleep a symphony for the ears!

It's over...it's FINALLY over...
STL291359.jpg

(This comic doesn't DESERVE to reference My Neighbor Totoro!)

So...the positives...hmm...this is over? I think we can all be thankful for that, at least.

Okay, I'm being a jerk.

This was...a VERY slow and uneventful series. And if you were holding out hope that ANY of the camper-kids were important...then I have bad news for you. Did you like that alternate cover with all the cryptids back in issue 3? Well...they don't show up. There's a BIT of a twist at the end but...it's not worth it. It's really boilerplate and boring.

Okay, that's still me being negative. There must be SOMETHING likeable about this comic, right?

Ummm...I think this style of coloring still has potential? I do still like how colorful it can be. Like I said before, it's a little like being inside a Lisa Frank folder. It has charms. But the problem is the linework is so off-model. And not really in a cartoony, creative sort of way, more in a "still working out how to draw these characters" sort of way. People really gave Jay Fogsitt problems for his art back in the G4 days, but at least that had LIFE to it. This...this is just un-appealing, I think.

...I keep slipping back into negativity. Let's try this one last time.

I will say, I like the last page. It's sweet. I'm a sucker for that sort of thing. It's a cliche, but it's a cliche that I like.

...I think that's about the closest I'm going to get to having something really nice to say about this comic. Maybe it reads better in trade. But, individually, these issues have not been my cup of tea. If you feel like I've been too harsh, I'm sorry. But, I just really wasn't feeling this one. I STILL don't understand why this miniseries got the green light. It's been unfocused, padded, and not that great to look at. IDW CAN put out good comics, the recent main series stuff is great, but this...wasn't it.

So, we open the book with Bighoof just wanting some of those Cheesy Poofs . Someone had the munchies the entire time they were writing this comic, I swear. Or maybe this really did start out as a tie in comic with Cheetos. Crazier things have happened.

And then Zipp and Sunny get REALLY excited about finally finding this creature! And want to put a tracking device on it so they can find it again and get famous! This feels...REALLY out of character for both of them? I don't know, neither one really has a great desire to be famous, usually. I GUESS I can see Zipp wanting to show off and prove to everyone she was right. She does have a competitive streak.

Oh, but what's this...Bighoof...has a CHILD?! Bighoof's a mom! I'll admit...I didn't see it coming. Mostly because I thought they were actually going to do something with all those cryptid designs from #3's RI cover. I'm still a little sore about that. SUCH A TEASE! I thought they were going with a DIFFERENT cliche. One with more world-building. But, oh well I guess.

So, yeah, I guess Zipp and Sunny decide NOT to tell anyone about Bighoof and NOT have a bunch of reporters trampling through the woods looking for a big scoop. I guess they would have decided differently if she was single.

We get a ENTIRE SPLASH PAGE showcasing these "Pony Poofs". These guys...are REALLY CHEESY! Chester would be proud.

Sunny and Zipp help lead the Mom and Child Bighooves back to their cave with Cheese Puffs. And hide from all the others the whole time. Given how big this forest is, this only requires...medium sneaky abilities.

So, yeah, Sunny and Zipp go back to camp and...lie to Hitch about it. I mean, they probably could have told HIM the truth. I don't think HE would have done anything exploitative. And...um...we never actually see them LEAVE the camp. They might still be digging themselves out of that rock slide. I don't know how much longer they're going to have those kids do that for them. They kind of just...drop that plot point completely. Fine. I guess.

Also, Izzy is VERY paranoid. And she should be. She's still stuck in the forest with a entire family of cryptids. Izzy has PLENTY of survival experience with the other unicorns, I guess.

And the last panel is seeing the Bighoof family all cozy together in their cave with TONS of Cheesy Poofs to eat. The mom is even giving the dad a little kiss. It's sweet. Not really worth $4. But, it IS sweet. It ends on a nice note.

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
G5 heads really are hard to draw, so I empathize there. Some artists have gotten good at it, but I don't know how long they spend on it. I can't imagine anyone is doing it as quickly as G4 heads.

But there is no excuse for failing to write an eventful story.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Yeah, I hate to say it this way, but I feel like this entire 5 issue miniseries could have just been a one-shot and it wouldn't have worn out it's welcome as much as it did. For me, anyway.

Top Bottom