IDW G5 Camp Bighoof #2

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Previously, on My Little Pony...
3171034__safe_artist-colon-kate+sherron_izzy+moonbow_earth+pony_pegasus_pony_unicorn_g5_idw_spoiler-colon-comic_spoiler-colon-comiccampbighoof_spoiler-colon-com.jpg

"Now, gather close fillies and foals, as I tell you about this neat thing I found when I was swimming around in the trash bin by the old funeral home..."

Today, we get TWO Pony comics for the price of....TWO Pony comics!
3123833__safe_artist-colon-kate+sherron_official+comic_sunny+starscout_zipp+storm_earth+pony_pegasus_pony_g5_idw_official_spoiler-colon-comic_spoiler-colon-comi.jpg

(This cover is surprisingly plot relevant)

So, how is it? Well...let's just say, if you can only pick up ONE of the two issues released today...pick up the other one....

Writing wise, this is...fine, I guess...maybe? It feels oddly decompressed. Not much feels like it happens. And they STILL haven't given enough personality to these new camper-kids for me to actually care about any of them. Honestly, we spend more time with the Mane 5 this issue than the campers. I...don't know if they're actually EVER going to flesh those new kids out or not. But, everyone's more or less in character this issue. The writing isn't BAD, just...inconsequential. Again, the dialogue is passable, but unmemorable.

Art wise...yeah, it's the same as last issue. If you didn't like that, you won't like this. The ponies DO feel off model, and not in a fun, creative way. Just in a "new to drawing equines" way. It's not the worst art I've ever seen, but it's not really a draw. I continue to like this coloring, though. It's really colorful and makes everything pop. It's like being inside a Lisa Frank folder.

I continue to not understand why this was even a comic that got green lit. It's just kind of a weird concept.

Here there be spoilers!
So, everyone's still fine after the rock slide. And the Mane 5 comfort the camper kids, telling it's not their fault. It's a nice moment, showing the characters' kind sides. Enjoy this, it's one of the more enjoyable parts of this issue.

And Zipp does point out that, yes, they COULD just fly over the rocks and get help whenever they want. But...they have enough food to last weeks, so they're not going to worry about it?! NO! Get help! What's wrong with you guys?! You have TWO princesses here! Call the guard ponies or someone and have them move the rocks before it becomes a bigger problem! Look, I get they don't want it to be TOO scary for the kids who might be reading this...but this just makes the Mane 5 look dumb.

You know what they think would be a great idea? Having the camper kids clear away the rock slide themselves, as a way to teach them how to better use their magic! Again...NO! Do not have children clear away potentially dangerous rubble! Someone WILL end up hurt or smushed! This is DUMB! You are being DUMB! NEVER leave the Mane 5 in charge of children!

And Zipp volunteers to find the potential monster in the woods Sunny does come with her. Zipp just wants out at this point, and I can't really blame her. Although, I have to wonder if they've EVER seen a monster movie in their entire lives. You don't split the party like this! That's adventuring 101!

"OH! And if it IS a Bridlesquatch, whatever you do...DON'T LOOK AT IT IN THE EYES! ....or is that what you do for a minotaur?" Okay, there's ONE good line in this book, I'll give that to them. Oh, and Izzy is CLEARLY thinking about a dullahan. You don't look a dullahan in the eyes no matter what, obviously.

There's a moment where we get to see a map of the entire camp area. I can't help but feel like this should be important somehow later. Like if you look at it upside down or something it'll reveal something about this area. But, I'm probably overthinking this. Zipp teaches Sunny about splitting areas up into grids when you search, which...kind of feels like the author just giving kids some camping advice, maybe? It's both a little too basic and a little too simplistic to be much else. Although, I would think most kids would know about the grid-method, anyway, from video games, at least.

Frogs and Bunnies and Bees, oh my!

So Zipp and Sunny find NOTHING, so they head back to camp to find...BIGHOOF! In their cabin! Eating their Cheetos!? Yeah...um...Bighoof kind comes across like he might just be...some shaggy looking GUY? I don't know, he might just be a mountain-pony or a hitch hiker lost in the woods or something. I'm not sure this is actually a legendary creature.

And then he disappears after "roaring" unconvincingly. So the other Mane 5 don't see him. And now, most of the camp's food is probably gone, too.

Last edited:

Top Bottom