IDW G5 Camp Bighoof #1

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Previously, on My Little Pony...
2037168__safe_screencap_fluttershy_sci-dash-twi_sunset+shimmer_twilight+sparkle_equestria+girls_equestria+girls+series_festival+filters_spoiler-colon-eqg+series.png

1965125__safe_artist-colon-cartoon-dash-eric_fluttershy_pony_yeti_abominable+snowman_bloodshot+eyes_bunny+ears_clothes_costume_crossover_dangerous+mission+outfi.jpg

PFFT! Everyone knows that bigfoot is just a cover story for the Illuminati's secret plan to replace all your cash with a digital currency based on the Intergalactic Standard set forth by the Lizard People from the hollow Moon! Bigfoot's just a holographic NFT! He's more Crypto than Cryptid! Wake up sheep-ponies!

(...Please don't let this come true. Too many conspiracy theories have come true in the last few years...)

And now put on your bug juice and get ready to drink tons of bug spray! (..wait...reverse that)
STL273378.jpg

...I'll be honest, I don't know why this comic exists. That's not really a knock on the book itself. I just don't know why THIS book is happening. I thought for sure there'd be some TYT or MYM episode it's referencing or a toyline thing that didn't get revealed yet. But...nope! They just wanted a story about the Mane 5 being summer camp counselors. *shrugs*

The artwork is...okay. Structure-wise, I think this artist is a little new to drawing ponies. These ponies are...ALMOST on model. There's some wonkyness to the artwork at times, and it can ALMOST work as a stylistic choice...but not quite. It just feels "off" sometimes. But, I DO like the inking they're doing here. Every pony gets a different colored outline based on their color scheme. I really like that. It makes the artwork brighter and more colorful and gives the whole thing a kind of..."nostalgic" appeal? It might just remind of old Hanna-Barbera cartoons or something. And the comic is structured...like a actual comic book, which isn't always a guarantee. So, yeah, the artwork is...functional.

Writing wise it's...again, okay. There's not as many clever lines, but it's all very...functional. Things are being set up for the mini series. I wish we got a LITTLE more personality from the new camper characters, since they oddly don't get a LOT of focus, yet. You can tell some of them will have more personality than others just from some of their designs. But, it would have been nice to see them stand out a little more, if they are going to be the focus of the series. And by the end of the issue, there IS a dramatic turn that I actually didn't see coming. It's not much, but it's something.

So...this is a issue, alright. I get the feeling this might be a miniseries everyone forgets all about after it's all done. It feels...a little forgettable right now. Technically, it's all solid enough, but it doesn't really sell the concept enough for me, personally. I've read worse, and I've read better.

So, the Mane 5 are summer camp counselors. They...really don't explain how they got these jobs or why they all agreed to do this. I'm guessing Hitch talked them all into it? Hitch seems to be running the camp.

For the cabins we have: Izzy's Beaming Buttons, Pipp's Melody Makers, Zipp's Sky Seekers, and Sunny's Shooting Stars! Now, which cabin would be the best? I get the felling I'd do best in Izzy's group, which lots of indoor crafting activities. Zipp would want to be climbing EVERY mountain. Pipp would be totally focused on putting on a show. And Sunny...I'm not sure if Sunny would be talking about the history of the woods or giving constant lectures about saving the environment and being more eco-friendly. Yeah, I think I'd pick Izzy's group. Plus, she'd totally sneak in junk food from the outside.

We get a lot of montages of kids just enjoying summer camp. It's cute...but kind of boring.

Apparently, this camp used to be called Camp Horseshoe. I don't THINK this is a MLP reference, but a reference to the couple of real-life Camp Horseshoes that dot the country. In Wisconsin and Maryland.

Sunny does end up telling a "scary" story at night about a legend of a monster living in these woods. Bighoof. Izzy points out that unicorns have a similar monster called the Bridlesquatch. And Zipp adds in the pegasi ALSO have a similar monster called the Zeti (...might want to rethink that name. Sonic the Hedgehog's lawyers are RIGHT OVER THERE! Ha! Gotcha! Unless this actually IS a stealth Sonic crossover.) Every one of these creatures...walks around on TWO LEGS *shudder*.

One of the campers misses home, so Sunny takes him out sightseeing. She tries to teach him how to use Earth pony magic to make flowers around the camp sign, but he sneezes in the middle of making it, causing a rock slide....so now they're ALL trapped inside the camp...and there's odd animal roars coming from the woods! OOOOH! And the pegasi can't fly over it and Sunny can't blast it away with Alicorn power because...uhhh...LOOK A DISTRACTION!

So, yeah. Not a lot going on in this first issue. It's just setting things up. I do like SOME of these campers. My favorite is probably the blue pegasus with a ponytail, since I just like her design. There's also a emo-pony who I think will end up a fan favorite, if anyone does. And there's a kid with a red hat who seems like might be important later. We'll see. I don't remember any of their names, though. Mostly because none of these campers HAVE names yet. And really, only the green homesick kid has anything resembling a personality yet. So...meh? *shrugs* I can't call this awful. But, it's not grabbing me, either.

Last edited:

Top Bottom