IDW G5 #4

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Previously, on My Little Pony...
2918220.png

(You're lucky I didn't do the wink.)

And, now, the ponies face the greatest villain of all....social media!
2871254.jpg

Seriously, though, this was a pretty good issue, I thought. This artist might just be on par with the artist from the first two issues for me. This art is lively and expressive. And this issue actually handles it's subject matter fairly well. I think this was well done.

This isssue is all about Pipp talking about everyone seeing that she can't fly back in the New Generation movie. That's probably a good idea to expand on. And it feels like it's something that ONE of these versions of the story should tackle.

Why does everyone cringe when Pipp says she's going to be writing a blog post instead of livestreaming? Do ponies hate to read THAT much? Or is Pipp just a REALLY bad writer?

The Queen is supportive while also thinking this might not go the way Pipp wants. She's a good mom, sometimes.

Izzy has a donut bomb in one of these pictures with Discord. That would have been a cute scene to actually be in the comic.

It takes her TEN HOURS to write this blog post? Okay, maybe Pipp is just a very long-winded writer. (I know what that's like). I know this is coming from the heart and all...but yeah, there's a reason no one is reading all of this later on in the story.

You know what? All of Pipp's friends make some pretty decent points. None of them are really WRONG, per se. They ARE giving her different angles to think about. Sunny....is too distracted to give her opinion so she passes the buck (Also...Sunny is the smartest pony Pipp knows...that feels WRONG for some reason, but I can't say anyone else fits the bill). Hitch tells her it might be off brand. Izzy tells her she'd be too embarrassed to live through the worst day of her life in public all over again. And Zipp says that Pipp's a little TOO sensitive to not take any negativity personality (...and she's 100% right, since Pipp freaks out just from no one commenting. Imagine if there were NEGATIVE comments). None of this is truly BAD advice. Maybe it's not fully taking in Pipp's need to share what she went through, but all of this is fair advice.

We actually get to see a snippet from Pipp's post. I was hoping we'd get to see that. And part of it IS an apology to everyone she lied to. I think that would be necessary. She and her family lied to everyone for YEARS. A apology and some empathy for all the fans she might have hurt is necessary.

This filly's story is sweet. And it probably rings true for some people who have moved around a lot.

I also notice this social media platform does not have a "dislike" counter. That DOES follow what a lot of other social media sites are doing nowadays, but it feels a bit toothless.

Pipp's "bed head" looks suspiciously like her regular hair do. She just wakes up looking fabulous. Some ponies have all the luck.

Note: Discord either has a smart phone, OR is able to use his powers to manipulate electronics.

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I liked this one a lot better than #3. Maybe part of it is the "Weren't they looking for Discord?" aspect isn't as jarring after #3 already did that. part of it is the art is better here. part of it is I think this was just kinda good.

The most interesting part of this to me is something you covered, that Pipp's friends have good points, and they mean well. That's been a G5 thing. Characters who disagree with today's protagonist don't get forced into some unfair box. They're allowed to have a good point. So much fiction is bad at this, and G5 seems to have made it a core mission to do it right.

Kids should read this.

Dvandom

Citizen
The cringe was probably because they've read her writing, and it's not very good. Yeah, long-winded, probably rambling, full of errors, etc. She has a sense of how to pace things in a livestream, but that doesn't translate to her prose.

---Dave

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Pipp is supposed to have a knack for production values. She doesn't just rely on the castle staff. She is a pro in her own right. She gets lighting, and angles, and everything else.

It's possible that in her writing this backfires in the form of Tolkienesque scenery descriptions. She can't help it. She has to set the scene just right.

Top Bottom