IDW G5 #20

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Previously, on My Little Pony...
3250881__safe_milkyway_sunny+starscout_zipp+storm_earth+pony_nymph_pegasus_pony_g5_idw_spoiler-colon-comic_spoiler-colon-g5_spoiler-colon-g5comic_dramatic_femal.png

*Kefka's theme (Dancing Mad) starts playing*

And here we are! The final issue of the ongoing G5 comic!
STL295163.jpg

And....I can't make it to the comic shop today. *Grumble-grumble* But, the threads up, if anyone else wants to talk about it.

Last edited:

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Comics: Acquired!

And yeah! I don't know what you want me to say at this point. This arc still rocks! Great art and writing. Seriously, issues 16-20 have just been all-around the best G5 comics we've gotten. If you have ANY interest in the comics, pick these up!

And this wraps up in a pretty satisfying manner. It's a good ending.

It's a little sad to see the ongoing get reduced down to a series of miniseries, but I think the comics have tried their best. There's definitely been ups and downs for these 20 issues, but there's some real gems in here. Hopefully, G5 gets another chance at a ongoing comic series in the future. At the very least, this arc was a great way to go out! This has been a fun series. And I'm looking forward to that Kenbucky Roller Derby miniseries in the future.

Hey! Queen Haven's the one warning ponies about the storm! She DOES have work to do! I think this might be the first time we've actually seen her DO anything for her people other than give a concert. It feels weird.

"Yes, SLEEPOVER!" Izzy's got her priorities straight.

Awww, poor Zipp and Pipp feel so guilty for causing all of this. It's hard to pout while you're being bounced on a bed, but Pipp pulls it off.

I...am oddly curious about how Izzy's s'mores taste. Graham crackers, marshmallows, chocolate, a cupcake, cheesecake, and a pineapple. Hmm...

Izzy loves her sleepover-backup-pineapple. Also, Izzy apparently not only carries a pineapple with her at all times, but also a confectionery blowtorch. The girl's prepared!

Bluey and Bandit ponies! This is NOT a drill!

Okay, doing a virtual concert and dinner together is actually kind of clever in this world.

Izzy's wearing the top of the pineapple she cut off for s'mores like it's a flower in her hair. And it's juices are running down her mane. Never change, Izzy.

Oh, but the populace STILL hasn't forgiven Zipp for the whole Carotang thing.

So Zipp...has to swallow her pride and apologize to this guy. OOOF! That kind of hurts. He does let them use his home stage for their concert, though.

Oh...and Misty goes out into the storm to try and talk to Milkyway. It's actually kind of a violent-looking scene. This artist really captures just how crazy this storm must be getting.

Oh...but then Milkyway finds out about the virtual concert and thinks they're STILL trying to ruin her wish. Oh...

I kind of want to know what "the duckling joke" is. Pipp is oddly bad at this speech, for someone who talks online all the time. I guess it kind of makes sense with how much pressure she's putting herself under to make this right, though.

Izzy's smug little face sure is something.

I'm not sure if Zipp doesn't know how computer cameras work or if *I* don't know how they work. They don't usually flip your image around, do they?

And the fans forgive Zipp! And Carotang...gets NO comeuppance WHATSOEVER! That feels a little wrong. But...oh well, I guess. He's just a Karma Houdini.

Pipp and Zipp break the spell with a duet! Classic!

And Milkyway...has to go back to Nymph-school for this whole thing. That's odd, and I'm split on whether or not she deserves that. Also, she's a Carotang fan, if her backback is anything to judge by.

"Zipp, Pipp, Hooray!" I kind of like that. Hopefully, it pops up in one of the shows, sometime.

And Zipp's name is now a verb....in a POSITIVE way! Nice touch.

Heh....but Pipp and Zipp start fighting again, so Milkyway shows up again! Nice ending!

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'll check it out this weekend. It's nice to hear that IDW stuck the landing, as they've had trouble with that before.

I'm actually not sad that they're shifting to a series of miniseries. This arc could have been published as a miniseries, and it wouldn't really make a difference.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Okay this was good. Very good. This is what the G5 comic needed to be from the beginning.

Hey! Queen Haven's the one warning ponies about the storm! She DOES have work to do! I think this might be the first time we've actually seen her DO anything for her people other than give a concert. It feels weird.
She's usually not terrible at the queen thing. It's her parenting skills that are in doubt, which is a pretty realistic flaw. One thing comes at the expense of the other.

I...am oddly curious about how Izzy's s'mores taste. Graham crackers, marshmallows, chocolate, a cupcake, cheesecake, and a pineapple. Hmm...
Izzy might be on to something with the pineapple. It's a different kind of sweetness than all the other ingredients.

Bluey and Bandit ponies! This is NOT a drill!
Getting pony'd is still a pop culture milestone.

Okay, doing a virtual concert and dinner together is actually kind of clever in this world.
Kids are growing up in a very different world than we did.

I'm not sure if Zipp doesn't know how computer cameras work or if *I* don't know how they work. They don't usually flip your image around, do they?
There is a setting for that, for some reason. That's Zip not knowing what she's doing. More visual storytelling from this artist.

That feels a little wrong. But...oh well, I guess. He's just a Karma Houdini.
MLP karma is very generous. He did help, and that's enough.

Plus he's not just some jerk. He legitimately did have to work harder to get where he is. We want him knocked down a peg, but he earned what he has.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Plus he's not just some jerk. He legitimately did have to work harder to get where he is. We want him knocked down a peg, but he earned what he has.
Yeah, but still, he was a attention hog who wanted the concert to be all about him, and he got that. And he manipulated and lied to the media to make it happen. At the very least, I was expecting him to treat a assistant badly or something and then get turned on. But...nah.

But, you know what? The comic kind of makes his Karma Houdini-ing work for two reasons. One, there's only so much page space. This story was PACKED with other plotlines already, so I'm kind of okay that it's a plot point that kind of got glossed over. And two, because this was really about Zipp swallowing her pride for the shake of making things right. It's not really about Carotang, it's what working with Carotang means for Zipp and Pipp's relationship. Working with him IS her punishment for underestimating how much work goes into everything. It works JUST well enough.

Last edited:

Top Bottom