IDW G5 #19

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Previously, on My Little Pony...
confront_carotang.png

Someone out there is wishing he was Carotang right now...

And now, we continue with the Freaky Friday story in...
STL291357.jpg

Unfortunately, circumstances once again prevent me from getting this issue right away. Hopefully, soon, but we'll have to see.

Anyway, at least the thread's up for others, if they want to discuss the issue.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I FINALLY made it to the comic shop!

And, yeah, this continues to be great. Please pick up this arc! It's really good. Good art. Good writing. I'm really enjoying it. No complaints from me. And I'm really looking forward to the conclusion next time.

Spoilers away!
And we open with what ANY responsible princess should do when times get tough after they mess up...running away!

And she runs into Zipp and...wait a second! Are those....PONY POOFS in the background?! No, NO, you are NOT referencing Camp Bighoof. No. You don't have to do that. Ugh...I don't think I ever want to see ponies with cheese puffs EVER AGAIN after that miniseries.

I'll admit, Zipp's sandwich looks pretty good. Not so good on Pipp, though. Though....Pipp with the wet look ALSO kind of works. These sisters just look good with their hair down, I think.

So, they're lying about how "great" everything is going and then...50 tons of mud fall on top of them as the ceiling caves in. Her Mom-jesty is NOT going to be pleased when she's sneaking into the kitchen for a midnight snack!

"...They meme'd me" "They're using my name as a verb to mean 'they MESSED up'" "OH Yeah, I got that" Okay, that's kind of hilarious. But...honestly...maybe not the WORST thing for a celebrity? At least people are talking about her! Even Pipp seems more amused than worried about her (?) reputation being ruined. Pipp just really needed this laugh after the day she's had.

You know, it's hard to look smug and eat cheese puffs at the same time, but somehow Zipp pulls it off.

And so they start working...TOGETHER?! Who could have possibly seen that coming?! Yeah, okay it's cliche, but it's fine. And Zipp gets one of those Japanese knotted headband thingies while she works on her dance moves. It doen't take.

Pipp having a hard time memorizing everyone's names feels...off...but I can accept it since there DOES seem to be a lot of them. It's a minor quibble, at worst.

MEANWHILE, the other Manes have tracked down Panini, another pony who got his wish granted by Milkyway.

I have to say....Misty ROCKS the glasses look. Kind of gives her a Baroness vibe. And I kind of love that she's the only one who came in a disguise. She's starting to kind of miss her old villain days of being sneaky.

So, we find out that Milkyway hasn't granted a wish in two years after trying to help this guy open his own restaurant. She ended up casting a spell so he couldn't sleep anymore, so he could earn more money to afford to open his own restaurant on the time table she created, but then he told everyone in town and everyone shamed her into reversing the wish. Driving her out of town. I know I'm supposed to feel bad for Panini but...I honestly feel worse for Milkyway. I mean....I feel like he could have GONE to her and TOLD her that this plan wasn't working and maybe come up with a different plan. I don't know if she deserved to be driven out of town. Poor girl looks really sad. And apparently, this ruined her previously spotless wish-granting record, as she was considered the best in the business before this.

Poor Milkyway is just more driven then those around her and expects everyone to put in as much work as she does, I guess. But, this did a pretty good job of keeping her pretty sympathetic. She's a type A personality that just expects a LOT from those around her.

"We promise you'll never have to hear Milkyway's name again....starting NOW" "You said Milkyway reversed your wish?" "Okay...NOW!" This is just a cute running gag for Izzy. No one's paying attention to her trying to spare Panini's feelings, not even Panini!

Misty gets how Panini must have felt. This is important later.

So the other Manes meet back up with the royal sisters and...yeah, they see how big of a mess they've made of the castle. The most out of character thing in this entire book is probably Izzy not immediately jumping into the big pile of mud. She actually has a little scene in the background where she ties her hair back so it won't get dirty. She even looks a little worried about getting it dirty. I mean...she DOES have a LOT of hair...but this is IZZY! She swims in garbage! There's no way she'd be phased by a little mud. She'd start making mud-snowmen! Totally out of character, ruins the whole book...I'm kidding. But, still.

And so we cut over to Milkyway and...she already has spots picked out for the awards she's going to get for this wish. It's kind of heartbreaking. Her failure really did a number on her.

Misty's the one to bring her over and...the rest of the Manes play up how big of a disaster this dinner will be, and how they're planning to just make it a bigger disaster unless Milkyway reverses the wish. They....USED Misty! This just feels wrong...and a little out of character for Sunny. They kind of betrayed Misty here, lying to her about what they were going to do, it's rough to see. I can understand not really having any better ideas, since they HAVE asked before, and Milkyway just played dumb. But...this does feel a little too mean for the Manes.

Although, everyone playing in the mud is a sight to see. And Izzy's making a mud-angel. So, all is right in the world.

Also, there's a janitor pony in the background just...looking at all this mess. Poor guy.

And...of course it backfires. Milkyway conjures up a tornado so that NO ONE can come to the dinner tonight. That look on her face. Something inside her broke. Poor Milkyway. Ugh. She's too cute to be too mad at. She's in tears by the end here...before she completely snaps.

I do kind of like that EVERYONE'S a little in the wrong here. And now we have our set up for the final issue of the ongoing series. I'll kind of miss it once it's gone, I think.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Okay I got to read this one. This arc is still phenomenal. It is a crying shame that the G5 comics aren't all this quality.

My only complaint is that this artist still doesn't quite capture Pipp's proportions. But the art is otherwise spot on.

Top Bottom