IDW G5 #17

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Previously, on My Little Pony..
3198422__safe_artist-colon-amy+mebberson_milkyway_pipp+petals_fox_kitsune_nymph_pegasus_pony_g5_idw_spoiler-colon-comic_spoiler-colon-g5comic_spoiler-colon-g5co.jpg

Fluttershy and Discord's daughter learned how to be cute from her mom and how to manipulate ponies from her dad! It's super effective!

(...no, not really...maybe...that would make a pretty decent twist, though)

Anyway, the Freaky Friday shenanigans continue!
STL282581.jpg

So how is it? This? This right here? This is the good stuff!

The art continues to be great. It's expressive. It's animated. It's on model. Amy Mebberson continues to be the best G5 artist.

Writing wise, this is a VERY familiar plot. You won't be overly surprised by anything that happens. But, it's done well. And it's got some great lines in it. So, it's solid, at least. Pipp continuing to dismiss how much effort goes into party-planning feels off...but it's kind of necessary for HER to learn a lesson, too, and for this to not all be about Zipp being dismissive. So...I'll allow it, I guess.

So, yeah. I think this entire storyarc is going to get a recommendation from me. I'm probably going to be a broken record about it. Pick it up!

To prove that their..."personas"(?) have switched, Pipp and Zipp show off their dance moves to their friends. It goes about how you'd expect. I'm kind of glad their friends just instantly believe them. They've seen enough magical weirdness at this point to just take both their words for it.

And, of course, IZZY is the one who understands the situation almost instantly. That tracks. She's probably the most "magical thinker" of the group.

"Did either of you encounter anything strange or magical in the last few days?" Well there was that giant bunnycorn and Posey was talking backwards all day and Jazz seems to now be three racoonicorns in a trenchcoat, but other than that....there WAS that one guy who kept asking if I wanted to "see something strange and mystical" but I told that creep where to he could go! Those poor beavers.

Zipp's fiery rage looks a lot like Pipp's fiery rage from last issue. Nice touch.

"WANTING and WISHING are the same thing!" "NO! They are two COMPLEEEETLY different words!" I'm with Pipp on this one. It's genie rules. If you don't SAY "wish", it shouldn't count as a wish.

"Who wants to pick a new topic from this hat?" Izzy continues to get some of the best lines this issue. Now...will the hat return?

Izzy's (uwu) face after she tries making her wish to undo Pipp's wish is so cute. She really expected that to work. She thought Shenron was gonna show up, poor girl.

I kind of LOVE that Izzy just keeps trying to make wishes everywhere they go to find Milkyway.

And they finally find Milkyway when Zipp doesn't take posting online seriously. Zipp kind of is the one more at fault here, it feels.

Apparently, Sunny found a book explaining that Wishing Well Nymphs compete with their families to grant the most wishes. That's...interesting. We're going to see more of these guys before the end of this story, aren't we?

So, Milkyway explains that she CAN'T undo the wish until Zipp learns how much pressure there is when you're a popstar. Convenient.

And so they FIGHT! It goes about as well as you'd expect when your opponent has phenomenal cosmic powers.

"I'm going to be famous! EEE!" It's all about that sweet, sweet recognition for Milkyway. I'm betting there's some family issues, there.

The Pippsqueaks prove that they will GLADLY jump into a river if they see their idol do it. I worry about them. Also, they're ponies...I don't think they have to worry about "scaly skin" at all!

So now, Pipp and Zipp have no choice but to...pretend to be each other! Yeah, it's where I expected this to go. Still, there should be some fun hijinks from this.

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
This is how you do comic art. I can see the movement without it actually being shown frame by frame. It's proper visual storytelling. It's expressive. We get things happening in the foreground and background. The ears move. This is great.

The writing is good. To me it feels a little less dense than the last issue, somehow, but I'm happy with it. This issue spends more time with the rest of the characters than last issue, and they're on point. Izzy's happy wishing. Sheriff Hitch being the peacekeeper during the first fight. I'm never tired of spending time with these characters when they're properly written.

This issue gives me a way stronger vibe that this was written as a Discord story, and changed due to fan response. Sunny's very convenient book feels like part of the rewrite. I don't mind. This is a very rare case where I feel like I don't want to see the writer's original undiluted intent. I like Milkyway.

Hopefully this arc concludes as strongly as it's going. If it does, this one will be worth a trade collection.

Top Bottom