IDW G5 #15

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Previously, on My Little Pony...
3127850__safe_artist-colon-shauna+j-dot-+grant_official+comic_izzy+moonbow_violette+rainbow_pony_unicorn_g5_idw_official_spoiler-colon-comic_spoiler-colon-g5com.jpg

No villains to fight...Smoothies are getting made...Sunny's so bright...Izzy's gotta wear SHADES...
(And here I thought she was named that because she just REALLY likes eggs.)

And now...whoops, wrong channel. I think this is actually a episode of "This Old Treehouse".
STL273369.jpg

So how is it?

Art wise, this is the good stuff. We have a good artist on this issue. Characters are on model. Things look nice. The art is sequential. It's all there. The art is just nice to look at. No complaints from me about the art.

Writing wise....this issue is a little light. Not a lot happens. It's pleasant. But, it's not clever or really very funny. It's just... serviceable. Things happen...but the stakes are very low key. It's...fine. Nothing to really write home about, plot-wise, really.

So, it's not the worst issue, but maybe a little too quiet.

Izzy's trying to add a little more flair to her house in Bridlewood. The house that...she really hasn't been back to for MONTHS now, in real time. I do wonder how property laws and taxes work in this world.

Also, Izzy's trying to make a streamer out of a broken cup. Always thinking outside of the box, that Izzy. Really, she's made enough decorations to KNOW that that streamer isn't going to reach where she's trying to put it. But, it does make for a great sling shot.

Notice that Izzy has a drawing that Violette Rainbow made for her hanging up in her house. I guess multiple creative teams really like that character from last issue!

And then we see what MIGHT be the most interesting thing about this issue. Is this tree house that Izzy tries to redecorate...actually supposed to be the Cutie Mark Crusaders' clubhouse from G4?! The tree looks like it's grown, which makes sense if it IS. We really don't get anything inside the treehouse to make it look like the CMC used to work in here, though. I'm not sure if I'm projecting on this or if this was the intended reference. It actually seems a little bigger than the CMC's clubhouse was, but that could be artistic license.

*Izzy encounters a horror-terror* Well, it's about TIME! Finally some action! Oh...it's just a bunch of woodland critters stacked on top of each other. Izzy displaces several critters that made this tree their home.

And Izzy claims this house as her own. Squatter's rights in Equestria are AMAZING! I mean, it's close enough to her house that she MIGHT own it...but I don't think she does.

It's pretty cute how Izzy is thinking about all the things she can make for her friends. She doesn't even really seem to think about making anything for herself in this place. Izzy's a good egg.

So, Izzy goes into town and tries to find things to redecorate the treehouse with.

*Izzy considers taking a entire sofa that someone left out in the street for free* Don't do it Izzy! Those things are always infested with SOMETHING! You'll never get rid of all the cockroaches! Then again...in this world, Izzy would probably befriend the cockroaches, so...

Zipp runs into Izzy, but doesn't really offer to help her carry everything she's got with her. Friendship fail!

It starts to rain in the middle of the story. I don't really know why, it doesn't exactly add anything to the plot whatsoever. I guess it adds to the mood, maybe? Still, it's kind of pointless.

Izzy finally finishes decorating her newly-stolen treehouse, but finds that all the critters have completely messed up all her hard work.

Izzy in tears is a little painful to see. You know, it's still barbecue season around these parts *glares at the critters*

So, Hitch has a talk with the animals. I kind of wonder if the squirrel speak is a reference to Kronk from The Emperor's New Groove.

So, we learn the obvious, that the animals thought this was THEIR home, and didn't want someone else taking it over. Izzy apologizes...but the animals decide they can all live together in the treehouse. So...there really wasn't any point to them wrecking all her hard work, was there?

So, Izzy redecorates the treehouse (again). The critters even get a whole pet-bed bookcase. It's adorable! And everyone plays boardgames together in harmony.

So, yeah. Moral of the story? I guess in Equestria, if a house is empty you can just go in and claim it for your own. No one is governing private property rights in Bridlewood AT ALL. It's the wild west out there. I'm surprised someone hasn't moved into Izzy's old house yet. She's almost never there, anymore.

These ponies have a VERY loose concept of property rights. It's basically CanterLogic all over again.

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
This art doesn't look like a newspaper comic! It's actually quite high effort. I see expressive ears and I am happy.

Not much happened here, but I don't have a problem with it. Plot wise, in a vacuum, this is on the level of a TYT episode. But it's not in a vacuum. Outside a vacuum, this might be Izzy's best spotlight story so far. She didn't cause any problems aside from bothering some critters.

If we weren't starved for good Izzy stories I would probably judge this more harshly. I like the 'happy post apocalypse' world of G5, and Izzy embraces it with her love of repurposing old junk and now old structures. She hasn't gotten to do that much since building the Marestream. I liked that TYT episode, and I liked this.

Top Bottom