[IC] Equestrian Radio Show's Adventure Variety Hour: Explorers of STOMP

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Static glances up the way where the other pony must have disappeared. Without any way to track, however...except...there was one trick he learned. He'd learned about at his first job. It was a security measure to help guard against theatre jumpers, ponies who would try to sneak into several different movies after having bought one ticket.

Its range was limited, and he hadn't had to use it since working for the keep (admission to the museum already covered admission to the theatre, so I didn't really need to guard against theatre jumpers). But just maybe...

He separates from the group and tries to concentrate, trying to find the pony that escaped..

"Toni," Amber repeated morosely, looking into her sister's blank eyes and putting a hoof to her face. She stepped back. "We need to find the source of this spell and break it," she said.

Working on it. Static mutters shortly. Little quiet please!

While Static is doing his thing, Rhapsody decides to see what she can figure out about the spell and any details that might be helpful. Coming from a mixed family certainly had some nice little benefits at times.

As Static Signal carefully concentrated and listened, he could tell that Silky Double-Time had run out to the lobby and slowed down. He also noticed that there were at least fifteen other ponies in the lobby who were approaching the auditorium. Four of them were carrying somepony.

Static's eyes popped open in terror.

Uh...guys! At least fifteen zombie-ponies in the lobby headed towards the auditorium. Four of them are carrying somepony. I think we found our queen. We better get to the auditorium...now! Sorry, Amber, but Sepia isn't going anywhere. We need to move!

Static sets off running for the auditorium.

Rhapsody opens her eyes after a moment's contemplation and looks to Amber. "You got anyways to counter Hypnosis? Counter spell? Jamming the effects? Isolating a pony's perception? From what Static says, it could end up being very useful in the near future, as well as maybe waking up your sister."

Light Fantastic shook her head to get the horrible screech out of her ears.

"I think so," she said.

She then perked up at Static's voice.

"Zombie ponies?" she said, in disbelief, "Really?"

Static Signal heard a mare's laugh from the other side of the lobby door. The rest of the STOMP team heard it as well. Light Fantastic and Snowy Skies realized they could quite clearly hear the laughter and Static Signal's comment despite not being immediately nearby. Rhapsody, Dusty Winds, Amber Spark, Night Cap, and Snowy Skies could recognize it as Zig Zag's voice but it had a far harsher tone than anything they had ever heard from her.

"I do not," said Amber, looking slightly crestfallen, "but Mr. Skies does."

She snapped up at the sound of the laugh and nodded, wide-eyed, as Static spoke.

"I suggest we regroup," she said, and bolted in the direction of the stage, her horn flaring brightly. Sepia Tone herself lit in an orange glow and lifted off the carpet, waggling through the air like a rag doll behind Amber as she galloped through the door and down the aisle.

Static rejoined the others in the auditorium (however the geography works out on that) and prepares to fight.

He looks over to Light Fantastic. He's met her a few times now, but never really got to talk to her. Now didn't seem like the time to correct that oversight. Still, he nodded politely.

Sorry about your ballet. It was actually really impressive.

He turns away from Light Fantastic and towards the door the laughing was coming from and gets into fight mode.

This is gonna suck!

Amber set Sepia Tone down next to Snowy Skies. "Fix this, please," she said. "Do be gentle, she's my sister."

Amber turned back toward the door, horn blazing with a new, crackling, electric aura.

"Let's begin our performance, then, shall we?"

Rhapsody follows the others. "I know its coming this way, but isn't a fight in here... kinda a bad idea? On one hoof, there is a LOT of potential civilian casualties in here, on another there is a LOT of potential enemies in here, while on yet another there is a lot of BOTH."

"Yes, well, somepony seems to have thought it would be more entertaining that way," said Amber, shooting Night Cap a look that could cut Crystal Empire architecture. "Really, Mr. Cap, would it not have been prudent to summon the princess in a more controlled environment in the first place?"

Light Fantastic snorted.

"Does the pony behind this have any idea how much time and effort we put into this performance?" she muttered, "All that work for nothing! Whoever is behind this had better hope I don't get to them first."

Her head then snapped towards the laughter.

"Joy," she said, "This night just keeps getting better and better."

"I've actually been meaning to try the gentle setting, give it a test run." Snowy Skies says wryly, carefully blotting out the conversation around him as he focuses on Sepia Tone. He could still only somewhat sense the music around her. It was obviously magical, but it was still sound, right? He brings his memory of the Anugypt Strut's melody to mind, breaking it down into smaller and smaller pieces, a pile of little wobbles in the air. It always seemed a little rude to do this to beautiful music, but this was an emergency. So, little by little, he put out just the right vibrations to cancel it. He wasn't certain where in the song the music might be, so he cycled through the song quickly, watching closely for moments when the song seemed to shudder or weaken. The moment he found a point where his heterodyning matched the song, he slowed it down to a natural pace, trying to dissolve the sound around Sepia Tone into white noise.

Static snaps his attention to Rhapsody. Also got innocents out in the lobby. So ideas would definitely be welcome.

Static then snaps his attention to Amber. Night Cap had no way to know how this would go down any more than we did. Can we maybe keep our anger focused on our enemies here?

Static then snaps his attention to Light Fantastic. I think I like you. I'm sure you'll get your shot at whoever's responsible.

Previously poised and prepared for the impending percussive performance of peril, Amber suddenly looked a bit less certain of herself.

"Static, a small admission," she said. She glanced in Night Cap's direction, then Snowy Skies'. "We may have failed to fully inform you of some details of our meeting with Ms. Flint before you arrived," she said, her tone apologetic.

"Ahm, I suppose that applies to you as well, Rhapsody," she said. "Ahm. Sorry."

"Security." Amber glanced back toward the sound of the laugh, then looked over the audience of incapacitated equines. "Yes, I can see where that may have been very useful."

Amber winced as she considered the last several hours. She had of course hoped that the ballet would trigger nothing out of the ordinary, but that was nothing better than denial; it had been her own selfishness about her date that led her to accept the mad plan of letting the ballet be performed as scheduled. If anyone was to blame for not putting a hoof down to prevent the present situation....

Amber shook her head and spoke again. "To be clear, Mr. Cap, that was a statement in sarcasm."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Rhapsody watches Snowy skies work, she didn't know him and on a level wasn't sure if she trusted him... there was something about his aura that seems a bit sleazy to her; but that was neither here nor now as there were more important things.Though as she watches, she still hears Amber and night Cap arguing and with a huff, speaks her mind as he eyes remain on Snowy. "Yeah, I quickly gathered this seemed nothing like the COIN plot that I was expecting." She mentioned to Amber and then looked to Night Cap briefly, actually addressing him for the first time tonight. "Night Cap, have you actually looked at yourself? You never take ANYTHING seriously!" She says and looks back to Snowy, still watching what he did; thought she continues to speak to Night cap. "If you did, you wouldn't be wearing that ridiculous outfit. And for the record; Brisk Iron sent me ahead to work with Security and protect Light. So, we've been doing Security, and I kept Blackwings up-to-date on all I knew." She blinks and pauses her tirade noticing Snowy hoof wavers and does the only thing she can think of: Sing. In this case she sung the notes, but in reverse of what she was seeing; recalling how sound played against itself in reverse should negate the sound all together.

Umm, I don't really care right now if you've done something I should be mad at, Amber. Let's just survive the night and then we can clear the air.

As the musical counterspell stilled the air and the lovely sound of song filled it, Sepia Tone immediately snapped to attention, "As you command, Princess!" She paused, then looked around, "I...what did...thank you. I saw what I was doing but couldn't stop myself." In his ear, Snowy Skies heard, Whatever you did seemed to alleviate and clear Night Wings' head. We may not be able to prevent this but we will aid you. Really didn't want to have to fight him again. Unfortunately, you should let your allies know that it sounds like most of those approaching are part of the security detail.

Snowy Skies blinks as everything goes better than expected. He nods quietly to Rhapsody in a gesture of thanks, not completely comprehending what she did. "I'm...not certain I want to try that again anytime soon. It could have gone much worse. The good news is that Tangerine Sands and Night Wings are somewhere around here, ready to help. The bad news is that most of the moving ponies out front are the security detail from the various visiting nations." He stalks over his violin and puts it across his back like a sword, stabilizing it with telekinesis before saying, with a hint of ice in his voice, "Now would we prefer to sit around bristling at each other a little more, or could we possibly be bothered to make a stand against whoever dares to possess Zig-Zag?"

What a novel idea! Static says with a sigh. It's what he's been trying to say for the past several minutes! So what's the plan? If these things are innocent ponies possessed by a more powerful force, I'm not sure I want to beat them bloody.

Not that letting them rip us to pieces sounds much better.

Snowy Skies turns to Night Cap. "We need to wake up a dreamwalker that's actively being held asleep. Suggestions?"

Put us all to sleep? Static suggests, not sure himself if he's kidding or not.

Rhapsody looks over to Snowy. "You might not have much of a choice, plenty of sleepers and more of that music. If we don't want to hurt innocents, we're going to need a way to snap them out of it; and I doubt just waking up their their 'leader' is going to do it, and if so isn't going to be simple. We're likely going to have to fight music with music; while I don't know exactly what we are up against here, I know that there are various stories of creatures with musical skills that can only be bested by similar means."

Light Fantastic snorted again.

"As long as you save the ringleader for me, I don't particularly care what you do. Whoever is behind this is mine. No pony ruins our company's performance and gets away with it."

From the moment Rhapsody had begun singing, Amber realized that something was going wrong with Snowy Skies' work on Sepia Tone. All her attempts at posturing collapsed, and she merely nodded to Static and rushed to her little sister's side.

"I ... I put you in danger, Toni. I'm sorry," she said, quietly, embracing and nuzzling her. "Thank you, Rhapsody, Mr. Skies." Amber sat out the rest of the conversation, mumbling "a nice to see you again" and some assorted variations on "I'm so sorry" to her sister.

Snowy Skies scrolled through some options. Not enough muscle to attack from multiple sides, they'd just get isolated and taken down. There was little point in a surprise attack, since they had no masterstrike to follow it up with. Setting the place on fire wasn't just dangerous, it was downright murderous with all the frozen ponies. The point of weakness was certainly Zigzag, but nobody was willing to try anything that might harm her, and they didn't really know what to do to her anyways. Or what could be done to her, for that matter. If he was a supernatural being, he would certainly grant his host great powers. They needed more information. Glancing a little to one side, he picked someone in the second row, encased their head in a sound bubble, and sent a foghorn echoing through the bubble. It had worked with Hazel Naught, but she had only been asleep for a few moments. He wasn't about to crack a random pony's skull open, but if these ponies could be woken up by normal stimulus, Zigzag could probably be awoken by...excessive stimulus.

Rhapsody looks over to Amber, and pauses... she lets her be with her sister for the moment as she turns to Light. "Priorities, Light. I know this show was important to you; but its not important right now. We have very little knowledge of what is going on here. This isn't just about your show, this is about the lives of ALL these ponies around us. Its going to be a detriment to us, if you have tunnel vision and are only seeking revenge for ruining your show. They'll be other shows, greater shows. Like the one for Princess Luna you were telling me about; but that likely won't happen if there is a massacre here. I need you on ! you A game, and you need to want to be if we are going to get through this."

The black pegasus then looks over to Amber, and trots over to her putting a hoof on her shoulder. "This goes for you too. You need to get your head on straight, trust me I KNOW how it feels to nearly lose a sister.... nearly losing her to something you greatly feel is your own stupid miscalculation..." Her voice growing a bit distant and soft as if not talking about Amber before she shakes her head. "But Hay... Toni is still alive, and that is the important thing. You have to pull yourself together, and quick not just for her, or for me, but for everyone here. You're intelligence and abilities are going to be important to getting everyone through this, and that's not going to happen if you're only concerned for your Sister."

Looking up she looks to each of the others. "All of us, we have to focus on the bigger picture here, and not get blinded by the small details. Too many lives are depending on us if this fight gets really bad. Plan, or no plan... We've got to be ready to defend the lives here at the very least."

"It's not just about me," said Light Fantastic, stomping her hoof at the accusation, "and it most certainly is not just about the show. Do you have any idea how much time and effort these other ponies have put into this performance? How much sweat they put into preparing for this night? They put just as much of their hearts and souls into it as I have. I may have the lead role, but I would be nothing without them."

She gazed sorrowfully at her fellow dancers, still frozen, and then turned back to Rhapsody.

"I've worked with these ponies for so long, we're practically family. Do you honestly think that I don't care that some of my best friends are under this spell?"

Static still faces the door. At the moment, he couldn't afford to be caught up in the worries of Amber or Light, understandable as they might be. He didn't need a pep-talk from Rhapsody. Right now, all he needed was a target to hit.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The pony in the crowd seemed briefly shaken by Snowy's Skies' auditory assault but didn't seem to stir out of the trance. Suddenly, the doors to the auditorium burst open and the horn section of the orchestra snapped to attention as they played the two note swell. In swiftly marched the varied security officers with the four in the back carrying Zig Zag. Or what was zebra's body for it certainly wasn't her mind. Wearing a smug smirk just as proudly as she wore black and red raiment that matched her counterpart onstage, several officers charged the stage as she addressed the STOMP team with,

"Stand against me and hope to win?
Pitiful fools! Your life shall end.
"​

Static looked at the force they were up against. Yeah, looks like a real possibility. But if we're gonna die, might as well make sure we make you pay for it!

Static doesn't want to hurt any of the thralls if possible. He goes straight towards Zig Zag.

Snowy had to resist snorting at Light Fantastic's fervent statements. Such purity. His self-control was aided by Rhapsody taking over as leader a little bit, in more ways than one.

As the doors blew open, Snowy Skies sighed. He had known they were all on a clock, but he had hoped for a little more time. He really needed to get a handle on that hoping thing. He pulled his viola off his back, drawing his bow close. "Rhapsody, what Night Cap said. Get up high, clear out space wherever it looks like somepony might get isolated. Light, try to give me some space, I'm going to try something big." He doubted any of the others would be willing to attack ZagZig, so his job was to be heartless. How wondrously--his thoughts pause as Static charges ZagZig. Why complain about instability like that? "Night Cap--" How nice of the team to be heading off his orders. "The enemy is magical in nature, use your discipline at your own discretion." He finishes lamely. He didn't really know what Night Cap was capable of in the real world anyways. "Amber, do whatever you did last night. Like Static is." He comments. It felt...extremely odd to give Amber orders. Hmph.

Now for the one part of the night he was liable to enjoy. Every battle needed theme music, didn't it? He paused for a moment, viola at the ready, then began to play, a slow, sad song. "Do you have a name?" He calls to ZagZig.

Light Fantastic glared at the zebra. Even though she knew that Zig Zag herself was not in control, she still needed to do something about the force that was controlling her, her friends, and every other pony. Her horn blazed to life.

"I don't know who you are, or what you want, but you will pay for what you've done!" she shouted, "No pony, and I mean no pony, gets away with enslaving my friends! Disco Electro!!"

Still bent next to Sepia Tone, Amber glared at Zig Zag - or more properly, the Princess - and her entourage, Amber's horn again crackling with energy as she prepared herself to strike.

Rhapsody looks up as the 'Queen' and her entourage entered She took to the skies quickly and zoomed in on Zig Zag, dive-bombing and striking her with a forehoof. "Hey, Queenie. Eyes on me. You took the body of a friend, but don't think that's going to stop me from kicking your flank back to wherever ya came from! You're going to have to go through me before you harm anyone else!"

As Rhapsody swooped in to strike, the four earth ponies stepped out in four directions as "Zig Zag" effortlessly landed on all four hooves. A subtle scent of chammomile wafted away from this smooth motion The makeshift guard swarmed Rhapsody though one missed when Light Fantastic's dizzying assault landed. With an inquisitive look, she replied,
"Queen? You simpletons are ever so wrong.
'Princess of Anugypt'! Proclaim, in song."

"Listen and tremble you weak willed incompetents. Those who DARE lay hoof upon me shall be struck down. Not by mine own hooves but by those who dare profess themselves to be your allies and compatriots. May the tears and cries you hear so forever linger within your short-lived minds."

The unicorn officers unleashed a magical barrage upon Snowy Skies and the lone earth pony tackled Night Cap after feeling the sting of the tossed glove. The Princess of Anugypt tilted her head to catch a view of Night Cap and smiled with the type of smile a timberwolf might give sheep that had wandered into the Everfree Forest,
"Walker of Dreams, I have to ask 'How?'
Did not stop me then, can't stop me now."

Static stops in his tracks. Something takes over his actions. As though watching himself from outside his body, he sees himself striking Nightcap. Horrified to see himself hurting one of his allies, he takes a moment to try and shake out of it.

Snowy Skies staggers back under the assault, instinctively shielding his viola and taking a heavier burst of magic than he maybe should've. But then, this violin was both his weapon and his life. He smiles, quietly appreciating just how close he felt with the chunk of artfully crafted wood in his hand, before tapping his hoof, morphing the sound into a small drum rift. He changes playstyles, making his notes sharper and harsher, but drawing them out as well. The music seems to short out for a moment as he releases his cylinder in ZagZig's abdomen, properly charged with the sad notes of the intro. He can only imagine how it must feel, or if it's distorting her perception of her own music.

Rhapsody shook off the weak attacks and looks to the first earth pony that actually managed to hit her and uppercuts him with a hoof to the jaw. Not wasting anymore time she is quickly in the air again, seeing the unicorn pony going for Night cap she zoomed around him using her Pegasus speed to turn him around and towards one of his allies instead; before zooming in and tackling one of the Unicorns going after Snowy. ..though her charge doesn't stop there as she then strikes Snowy directly, hitting him so hard that reality seems to shiver for the briefest of moments, as suddenly one of the pegasi finds themselves face planted onto the ground. (will edit for oth! er effects once I have the answer) "What the buck?" She asks shaking her head as she looks to Snowy, now realizing he isn't an enemy. "Sorry for that." She replies and turns back to the skies, as she hears the princess's gloat. Oh this was just too good a chance for her to pass up, as she starts to sing an old song she heard as she darts about over the fight.

I feel alive and the world I'll turn it inside out - yeah
And floating around in ecstasy
So don't stop me now don't stop me
'Cause I'm having a good time having a good time

I'm a shooting star leaping through the sky
Like a tiger defying the laws of gravity
I'm a racing cart passing by like Lady Fleur de Lee
I'm gonna go go go
There's no stopping me

"I'm burnin' through the sky yeah
Two hundred degrees
That's why they call me Missus Fahrenheit
I'm trav'ling at the speed of light
I wanna make a supersonic mare out of you

Don't stop me now I'm having such a good time
I'm having a ball
Don't stop me now
If you wanna have a good time just give me a call
Don't stop me now ('Cause I'm having a good time)
Don't stop me now (Yes I'm havin' a good time)
I don't want to stop at all

"Coward!" Light Fantastic shouted, "You must really be afraid of us if you have to make us attack each other!"

Amber found herself compelled to strike out at somepony, and her eyes flicked to Snowy Skies, burning - and then she heard Rhapsody's song. Amber's frustration and guilt gradually dispelled, and she clung onto Rhapsody's voice; as long as Rhapsody is here, Amber thought, I'm where I need to be. Time to get to work.

Amber let out a spray of tracing bolts at the four ponies carrying the litter, her aura growing as she prepared for her shot.

As Amber's sparks struck several in the Princess of Anugypt's makeshift guard, the mass of ponies in the audience ran to the exits, blocking them with their bodies. As Snowy Skies unleashed his sonic assault, a pegasus officer swooped in to block the attack. After collapsing to the ground, "Zig Zag" galloped to only stop mere inches from Light Fantastic's face,
"There is no fear, just mine own elation.For you are just a cheap imitation."

After slapping Light Fantastic, she ducked so that Silky Double-Time could vault over for a drop kick! As the remaining unicorn officers continued their assault upon Snowy Skies, several earth ponies charged Night Cap, only to abruptly change direction and pummel Static Signal. As "Zig Zag" eyed Night Cap,
"Despair is slow, not fast.
So, save that one for last."

Snowy Skies seems to lie on the ground after Rhapsody's smash, trembling a little in shock (but still, almost obsessively, playing his viola). That...was not supposed to happen. But as the unicorns continue their barrage, the music halts for a split second, and the Snowy Skies onstage shivers into nothingness, leaving behind only the wood of the stage to be pounded and scorched by their assault. Behind one of the large columns that separates the end of the seat rows from the aisle, the real Snowy takes a deep breath. He wanted to say something about how none of them were worth the broken strings on his bow...but now didn't seem like quite the time for that. Instead, from his quiet position, he listens to the fight, to the light footfalls of the unicorns and the hum of their horns. He puts up a reflective barrier on the wall behind him and continues playing, sending notes around and around until they grow to monstrous proportions, then bouncing them off the wall of the theater and back into the crowd. He hits his unicorn targets with surprising accuracy for an idea he came up with staring death in the face.

Static realizes his best efforts are not shaking off what ever's got his mind screwed up. He's just going to have to fight through it all.

If that's the way it's gotta be! Static rushes Zig Zag and bites down...hard.

As he steals the zebra's life away, he feels more awake than ever...though that doesn't seem to help clear his head of the witch's magic any.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Rhapsody huffs as the 'princess' just shakes off her song. "Fine. Then I guess I'll just change my tune." She says and decides to go for a song to inspire her and helps her shake through whatever was effecting her mind as she zips down after the Princess and Silky when they go after Light, and in the process gets hit by Night Cap as he goes on his own rampage. With both forehooves out she lands a powerful blow against the Princess, before using her speed to make Silky dizzy like she did to the Unicorn moments before.

If you wanna see some action
Gotta be the center of attraction
Make sure that they got their eyes on you, like the face that you see on every magazine

Be the focus of attention
Be the name that every one must mention
Come out from the shadows, it's your time, cos tonight is the night for everyone to see

It’s natural
You know that this is where you gotta be, it must be your destiny
Sensational
And you believe that, this is what you've waited for and it's you that they all adore, so baby

Now you feel like number one
Shining bright for everyone
Living out your fantasy, the
Brightest star for all to see
Now you feel like number one
Shining bright for everyone
Living out your fantasy, you're the
Brightest star there's ever been

Feel the heat that's all around you
Flashing lights and ecstasy surround you
Everybody wants a piece of you; you're the queen of the scene, living in a dream

"We will rescue you, Zig Zag!" Amber shouted, as she reared and let loose the full charge of her horn's electric aura into Zig Zag's body.

Noticing Snowy Skies' struggle, she shouted in his direction. "We can take her, Mr. Skies. I think it was unfair of Ms. Flint to call you a lightweight - and it really was in very poor taste for me to giggle."

Light Fantastic focused her healing magic on Static.

"Nocturne of Healing!"

The STOMP team all heard Sands as if he were right next to them, I think the princess' hold is slipping. I heard a second voice and it also seems like the orchestra is coming to. Snowy Skies, try to see if you can get them to play the next part. There's a chance she will be banished again.

As more and more hynotized ponies fell, one pegasus officer bit into Rhapsody's dress and spun her around. Then Rhapsody was hit by a leaping tackle from Silky Double-Time. Meanwhile, "Zig Zag" spun around and glared at Static Signal, speechless from his actions. Or perhaps wordless as she extended a hoof and opened her mouth...

A sinister silence permeated the air as all suffered a devastating echo of nothingness. Snowy Skies falls, feeling a chill as he goes unconscious. Then suddenly warmth returns as he springs to his feet. There's an ever present desire to serve in his mind as he feels a warmth he hasn't felt for a long time.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The world was a much simpler place than Snowy Skies had ever imagined. Music, light, heat, all of it was just power, waiting to be harnessed. As he gazed over the battlefield, he saw just how little his 'allies' knew about true power, and just how helpless they would be, if his queen could bring her full strength to bear. But for now, his own power was enough to deal with them. He would bring them to their, knees, obliterate the ground beneath them, and watch them fall, helpless, into the crater that was once the stage. And then his queen would reign once more, and they would create paradise. A paradise of war or peace, it made little matter to him. Music would endure, shaping itself to the situation. That was, after all, how his queen had survived for so long. Together they would build a new age of music, surpassing the world forever after.

But he was getting ahead of himself. First, there were punishments to be dealt out. Who to obliterate first? He pivoted towards the brown earth pony--whose name was Night Cap. He was the pony that had saved Snowy Skies from his greatest fear--and then to the tan unicorn and her dark mistress, ensnared nearby. How fortunate, he could eliminate both of them in one--That was Amber Spark and Rhapsody. Amber Spark, while uptight and passive aggressive, was deeper than she appeared. And, apparently, there was somepony in her life who made her very happy. How many ponies had he ever met that were that lucky--Grimacing tightly, he faced the yellow earth pony--Static Signal! The first pony in years to make him laugh! The universe's new personal project for him!--Another sharp turn brought him face to face with the--the beautiful, flourescent unicorn that was Light Fantastic. And that was the end of that.

A prisoner within his own mind, Snowy Skies looked around wildly. In front of him was Viola manor, above him was the iridescent ice coffin that kept his life afloat. Below him, there was a forest of music. Much of it was his, but for once a great deal of it was not. How awful. He followed the music below him, breaking into a mental run until he sat in the middle of a vast ice sheet, Viola Manor long gone. Here, underneath him, eerie lights danced in a terrible display of the power that had taken hold of him. Well, if there was one thing he had proven himself good at, it was stealing power. He slammed his hooves down on the ice, shattering it, and he fell deep into the northern lights, submerging himself in the raw magic and wrapping it around him, drawing it in and stretching it out, bending it to his will...

Snowy Skies opened his eyes and hefted his violin. In an eye blink, hundreds of Snowy Skies filled the theater. They balanced on top of seats and leaned over balconies and catwalks, carrying every variety of instrument that he had ever seen, and a few he had thought were lost to time. He knew so much more about music, how to play so many more instruments. What sort of culture could spawn such beauty, and such evil? He shook his head, and the new crowd seemed to flow back and forth in unison with their leader. They turned as one, and focused on the terrible, cruel zebra that had almost driven them to destroy their friends--who was currently possessing Zig Zag. The first pony in history to pierce his illusions. A pony that kept a smile on her face through the ridicule of life. A pony that, quietly, he had nothing but respect for.

The 500-pony orchestra began to play a song. It was similar to the modern rendition of the Anugypt Strut, but it had an innate sense of depth, like the music was sucking you in. He not only knew the real Anugypt Strut, he knew how the summoning spell within it worked, and that Tangerine Sands had been almost exactly right, but that there was a better way. A few subtle changes to the Anugypt Strut, almost like a change of key, perfected the music, turning it from a work of art into the stuff of miracles. It went from smooth and beautiful to enchanting and Divine. This was the song he played, on so many instruments at once. Time seemed to stand still, and he had a few suspicions that that was a side effect of his music (it was, in a way, turning back time).

But part of the beauty of music is how every song must end, and this incredible piece was no exception. As the violins' final note faded out, four hundred and ninety nine Snowy Skies disappeared. From his unassuming vantage point on the side of row C, Snowy Skies had moved to the center of the stage. Shakily setting down his violin, he bowed, gracefully sweeping one leg underneath his belly, rising up again only to pass out, falling to one side in a heap, mercifully falling away from (instead of on top of) his violin.

Anyone particularly preoccupied with details would notice that the crack on his horn was gone, as though it had never been there in the first place.

"That was...humbling." Nothing more elaborate came from Tangerine Sands as the ponies in the auditorium began to come to. Silky Double-Time ran over and gave Light Fantastic a hug, crying and apologizing the whole time. And while Zig Zag collapsed from magnanimous music, she lay there with a smile on her face.

Amber had had her eyes on Snowy as he had been struck down and shuddered at the blow of unsound herself, placing herself in front of Toni as if to protect her from it. Amber had drawn out her astrolabe and concentrated her magic again, preparing to retaliate, when Snowy revived and began to play - and then -

What followed could only have been one of his insufferable illusions, and yet his performance of the Strut was simply beautiful. Amber's astrolabe dropped out of its orbit around her, and the charge on her horn harmlessly discharged into a nearby railing. Perhaps Mr. Cap hadn't been wrong about the song - it only took the right orchestra. By the time Amber remembered that she was meant to be battling somepony to the death, Zig Zag and the other ponies had returned to normal.

Amber looked up toward the collapsed Snowy Skies, then uneasily looked around her, hoping to catch sight of Rhapsody.

Awkwardly, she began to clap, loudly. "Bravo, Mr. Skies!" she shouted.

As "Zig Zag" glared a Static, he glared back. He cared nothing for the silence that followed, or the beautiful music that followed that. All he knew was that he was not going to stop fighting this creature until she was erased from existence. Nobody...NOBODY...made him attack his own friends.

He raised his hoof to attack when Zig Zag and the rest of her fighters collapsed. Wha...? What the...? Well...that was...sudden! He nudged Zig Zag slightly? I...guess you're back to normal then? He winced as he gingerly brushed a hoof over the bit marks on Zig Zag's neck. I'm sorry about that. You weren't leaving me much choice. Are you...are you okay? He looks around. Is everypony oka...SNOWY!!!

He runs over to Snowy. Come on, Snowy, give me a sign here. Tangerine, if you can still hear us, Snowy needs help. Get the medics in here, NOW!

Light Fantastic was quick to embrace Silky.

"It's okay," she soothed, "I know it wasn't your fault."

She glanced at the other ponies.

"Every pony okay?"

Static backed off as Night Cap went to work on Snowy. He considered Light Fantastic's question. Now that the adrenaline was abating, he could feel last last hit from the queen, that disturbing silence, actually did sting him a bit. But considering poor Zig Zag and Snowy Skies, he sure wasn't about to complain about a few scratches. Snowy had me worried there for a sec, but Night Cap seems to have things well in hoof.

As he saw Snowy starting to recover, Static nodded, comforted that he'd be okay. How's Zig Zag? he asked, walking back over to the fallen zebra.

As the Pegasus bits her dress, Rhapsody turns to face him looking like she's about to clobber him for daring to mess up her dress.... when she gets clobbered by Silky from behind knocking her to the ground. She groans and shakes off the attack, slowly getting to her hooves when the princess makes her next move, that deafen silence that crushes her like a freight train just after the powerful blow from silky. Not about to take this lying down she takes to the skies to prepare her next attack... when suddenly an orchestra strikes up and... everything is over. She blinks for a moment, wondering what in Tartarus just happened; but then can't help but laugh. "Well, I told ya we had to beat her with music." Being more then a little proud that she was right, even if it wasn't her music that did it.

Amber's clapping slowed and gradually stopped, with one final out-of-meter hoofclap, as she watched the others rush to assist Mr. Skies. She watched for a worried moment, then turned to Sepia Tone. "Are you alright?" she asked. "I truly am sorry that we put you in such danger."

Amber looked around, then up, and smiled as she caught sight of Rhapsody in the air above. "Rhapsody!" she shouted, and without thinking, she crouched slightly as if about to jump, her horn glowing brightly, and with a soft electric pop, vanished to appear hanging by her forelegs around Rhapsody's neck.

Amber kissed Rhapsody somewhat awkwardly on the cheek as she straightened herself, her hind legs cartwheeling. "I believe that our first date has been successful after all," she said, smiling.

One of the previously possessed foreign guards walked up to the group,
"I was mostly aware of what happened while I was being controlled. I'm not sure where things go from here but we're not pressing charges. Citizens like you serve your country well." Night Wings and Tangerine Sands walked up to the STOMP team but were oddly silent.

Static wanted for all the world to retort with a sarcastic "thank you so much for not pressing charges for saving your lives," but decided to bite his tongue.

Instead he bowed politely Just doing what we can, sir.

Rhapsody blinks as suddenly she's wearing a unicorn necklace in the form of her marefriend. The black pegasus chuckles softly at the kiss and nods some. "I suppose so, would have been better without the evil qu...princess". She says and then blinks watching as Amber's grip doesn't hold, and swoops down to catch her before the beige unicorn can hit the ground. "Maybe you should leave the flying to me." She giggles and sets Amber down before joining her.

Static gives a nervous smile to the foreign guards, glancing back at Rhapsody and Amber. Don't mind them. I think they're just glad to be alive at the moment. He mutters back at the couple. Get a room, you two!

*static crackle*

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
*static crackle*

Good evening folks! After a week of hard work or a week of hardly working it's time for another exciting Saturday night with the Equestrian Radio Show's Adventure Variety Hour! Brought to you by the rock bottom deals of Barnyard Bargains. This week we once again bring you to the explorative exploits of the Explorers of STOMP. Last time our heroes guarded the Sword of Shining Dark from possible theft and prevented the return of an evil princess of ancient Anugypt! Fast friends were forged but silent mysteries slowly crept in. After a night of rest, the team now heads! to work...

Static woke to the droning buzz of his alarm. He wanted so much to bust the thing into a million pieces, but then he'd have to buy a new one.

He grudgingly got off his couch and took a look in the mirror. 63 hours, 13 minutes and buck Luna all the way to Tartarus if he cared how many seconds since his last cider. Buck!

He got a quick shower, trying to get the cold water to wake him up some. He was about to go back into the kitchen when he remembered tonight would be his date with Anchors Away. He couldn't go into that looking the same way he did every day. He took the extra tie he obtained last night and tried it on.

He moved into the kitchen and opened the freezer, taking out a couple cherrychimichangas and putting them into the oven. He also put a pot of coffee on. 63 hours and 20 minutes. This was going to be rough.

He opened the refrigerator and was dismayed at what he saw. He'd told the cops that they could just throw out the ciders. They didn't have to move them to the new apartment along with everything else.

He took one out and opened it with a sigh. Maybe some ponies just weren't meant to quit. He had the bottle to his lips when the smell of coffee wafted to his muzzle. He keyed in on the smell and clung to it as if it were his last hold on sanity. It wouldn't do to go into work having had too much cider.

He walked over to the sink and poured it down the drain. He looked at the oven. Still had some time before breakfast was ready. Maybe just enough time. He took another cider from the fridge and poured it down the drain...then another, and another.

His life was taking too much of a turn for the better to buck it up now. 63 hours and 25 minutes. Sweet Luna help me! he muttered.

As he ate, Static noticed the blinding light coming through the windows. He'd have to remember his sunglasses as well.

After breakfast, he headed off to work. He tried not to let the fact that it had been 63 hours and 40 minutes since his last cider drag him down too much.

He had made some friends at work. Not just friends...comrades...he would dare to say family. For the first time in years he was actually looking forward to coming into work.

63 hours and 45 minutes. Merciful Luna, let me make it through the day, he sighed as he reached the museum. He kept an eye out to see if any of his friends might be arriving at the same time.

IcyfootstepsIcyfootstepsIcyfootstepsIcyfootsteps

Snowy Skies bolted upright, his sheets almost frozen to him with cold sweat. Shaking a few actual ice drops out of his mane, he tosses the sheets back and climbs out of bed, opening his curtains and sighing appreciatively as the sun warms his frigid flank. It was, he realized, only shortly before he would normally get up. Last time, the nightmare had awoken him after only six hours of sleep. This time it had provided him seven and a half. Perhaps he was simply growing accustomed to being in constant danger. Again. He wondered if anyone else in STOMP had horrible recurring nightmares, and if they were experiencing similar transitions. It was likely that he was not the only one, he decides bemusedly, but equally likely that no one else had quite as good an excuse as his. As he walked to the kitchen he passed by his bathroom, and in the mirror caught a glimpse of his reflection which left him thunderstruck.

His horn was whole. Well, it had always been whole. But he could see it now. The illusion was gone. If that one had given out, what others were missing? Taking a deep breath, he closes his eyes and plunges into his head, finding himself standing atop Viola Manor, looking up at what was certainly a completely intact ice coffin. Despite his apparent safety, flames licked from his feet onto the roofing of Viola Manor--fears were so transmutable in the mind--and he rears back, jolting back into the real world. He shook his head, grimacing from the mental whiplash. He really should have known that his Masterpiece was safe. He wouldn't have survived the night without it. But he still didn't know what to do about his horn. He could always recast the illusion, certainly, but...the gash always looked so hideous. He had designed it that way, in the hopes that ponies would glaze over him as though they were looking at a pony with shin splints, or a vegetable in a wheel chair. It was useful, it had served its purpose, and yet...he had never really liked it. Still, he had to re-cast the spell. There were too many ponies at work that would notice his miraculous recovery, and most of them shouldn't hear about what had happened the night before. But perhaps there was a compromise that could be reached...He recast the illusion, moving away from the mirror as the cracks silently spider-webbed through his horn.

A simple breakfast, a hoofful of hay and an apple. He could afford to give his viola a rest for a day--it probably deserved more, really--and grabs his violin instead. It had fallen out of favor ever since he had bought that viola (which had an odd fullness to the notes that the violin couldn't match) from an odd gray-coated street dealer, but the Gentle Repose spell had kept it in excellent shape. As he closed the case and reached for its straps, he paused, looking across the room at the centerpiece of his kitchen: The grand piano. His...early awakening...had provided him with just enough time for a short bit of practice. He had skipped his evening ritual last night, on account of exhaustion, and most of his piano songs weren't good morning songs...How about some improv? He lowers the violin case and sets a timer for 30 minutes before eagerly sitting down at the piano, forcing himself to take a deep breath before he began to play...

He jumped a little as the timer went off, gritting his teeth. It was always such a harsh sound, in the middle of his music. But it was useful, and it meant that it was time to go. The violin case went over his back, and he was out the door and off to the museum. It was liable to be, he mused, a spectacularly boring day. At least the inevitable paperwork reporting on last night would provide a nice interlude to the janitorial duties.

Amber stirred slightly. It seemed to be light outside, but the warm, amniotic orange glow through her eyelids at the edges of her vision was quite enough evidence of this without opening her eyes. She nearly reached spasmically toward the head of the bed, expecting to have only moments before her puzzle alarm would begin its daily wail of pain, but found herself unexpectedly restrained by at least two interfering limbs not her own. She didn't struggle; a glimpse of conscious sense told her that there was no alarm, and if no alarm, after all, there must still be time.

When one has accustomed oneself by a habit of two decades or three to sleeping unaccompanied, finding oneself returning to one's full and conscious body in any other condition can be a powerful sedative. Against this influence, Amber similarly reasoned against any struggle.

Conscious, indeed? Dreaming? Hardly relevant at present. Coarse, black hair, warmth, the rhythm of breathing not Amber's own. She buried her head in the shadow so that even the feeble candle flames at the corners of her eyes winked out. Five more minutes, if you wouldn't mind. Good dream. No alarms today.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
By the time he reached the back door to The Keep, Snowy Skies' body had thoroughly reminded him of what he had suffered last night, and his walking pace was much slower than his usual brisk trot. Fortunately, he saw a familiar yellow pony up ahead, moving at a similarly labored pace. Glancing around to confirm that no one else is present, he dismisses the illusion on his horn before approaching Static. "You look like death." He observes. "Snazzy death, at least." He adds with a smile.

Hey, Snowy! Static greeted as he saw the unicorn approach. Yeah, it was nothing but visions of a particular COIN operative trying to kill me since my head hit the pillow. But at least I was so worn out, not even the worst of nightmares could wake me. So I did get a full eight hours.

Spent a lot of my morning tossing out all the cider from my fridge. It's been 63 hours 46 minutes since my last drink. But at least I seem to be well on my way.

Besides, I have a date tonight. Nothing's gonna keep me down so long as I have that to look forward to.

Static motioned to Snowy's horn. I'm glad see I wasn't just imagining things last night. That que...princess...had me so turned around last night I couldn't be sure. It must be nice to have something like that finally healed.

Static then looked around. By the way, did you happen to see Night Cap on the way in? I think he said he was supposed to start today. You...do you think he knows about the employee entrance?

Snowy smiles and nods along with the stream of information. It wasn't even rude to neglect calling it conversation, really. Static clearly had friendly chats about as often as he did. It was good to confirm the alcoholism theory. He had a feeling he knew who the date was with. "The...thing is complicated." He says, waving one hoof in the general area of his forehead. "Night Cap works for us now? Directly for us?" He pauses in his walk, digesting a few greater implications before deciding to focus on the little picture. "...He probably does not. You don't grow up thinking museums are laid out the way they are." He resumes his walk, but goes straight past the rear entrance, eventually making a full circle around to the front of the museum, looking through the courtyard for the tan pony.

Static follows Snowy around the building. They're almost halfway around when it occurs to him wouldn't it be faster if we'd walked through the museum instead of around?

He see's Night Cap as they walk around the front. Hey, Night! Over here!

Night Cap watches as Night Cap continues walking, seemingly blindly, while completely ignoring him. Hey, Night Cap! Over here. As Static gets in closer, he can see Night Cap squinting painfully. You know, Night, they do make these things called sunglasses. Really helpful in these situations.

Static takes off his sunglasses. The sun does sting the eyes, but it seemed to be hurting Night Cap more. With a shrug, he places his sunglasses on Night Cap's face. I...don't think they come in monocle form. C'mon! Employee entrance is around the back.

Sure! Mum's the word. You sure you don't want us to at least let the security guards in on it?

Rhapsody laid in bed as was normal for her during the mornings, the sun as usualy was generally considered her mortal enemy. This should come no surprise to anyone that lives with her... Of course that is usually only a rather grumpy, overprotective, know-it-all bat named Tyberious. Today however was different for the black pegasus, today there was an extra body in her bed. She was content not to move, happy to be in the arms of a sexy mare.

And then that blasted alarm clock of hers rang. Which got a repeat performance of the day before the red clock flying against the wall at what some would joke to be mach speed, smashing itself effectively into a wall and falling into a heap, mixing with the parts of its ill-fated predecessor from yesterday that she still hadn't had time to clean up. The last thing she wanted was to be interupted now, as she presses once more into the form of her loves and drifts back asleep.

There's always security guards. And you never...know...where! Static said, trying to sound as ominous as possible. Then he grinned and playfully nudged Night Cap. Nah, but stick with us. I'm sure you'll be okay. Besides, I'd be surprised if Ms. Iron hasn't already at least told them!

Snowy kept a little quiet watching the exchange. He thought he might like somber Static more than silly Static, but that wasn't really something in his control. "In any case, first order of business: Showing you the back entrance." He turns and walks back the way they came, tossing back "If you're not certain where you'll be working, we may as well show you to Brisk Iron's office, so that we can find out where to find you."

Yeah, Static agreed, she did make herself rather...scarce yesterday. Brisk Iron's absence, particularly for the ballet, still didn't set well with Static. I don't suppose Dusty said anything yesterday? I didn't see her at dinner.

Amber jumped at the sound of the alarm and the sudden violence against clocks, but smiled as Rhapsody pulled her close. "It wouldn't do to be late today, you know," she said quietly. "Ms. Iron will want to debrief everypony involved with the incident last night."

Amber gradually rolled herself out of bed, wandering in the direction of the kitchen to start some coffee and still not at all certain what time it was.

Static winced. He'd had his victories since then, but the memory of that night still made him cringe. Regret still creeped into his voice whenever he was reminded of it. Yeah, I guess I can see why that would take a while.

As Static Signal, Snowy Skies, and Night Cap entered the employee entrance, they saw Steel Flint pacing walking through the hallway. Her head turned in surprise as she looked at the trio. She nodded to the guard and waved the group in, "Well, good morning. With last night's incident, it's good to know you still have your health. Oh, and Zig Zag thanks you for your assistance."

Zig Zag's awake then? Oh thank Luna she's okay! Static said with a sigh of relief.

Snowy winces a little, for much the same reasons Static had earlier. He could still picture the potential fallout from the sonic blast he had been about to unleash, of all the memories to retain from that period. "Is she in a hospital or something? Where could we visit her?"

Steel Flint sighed, "No, she's not awake. Still receiving medical care right now."

Static stood there confused. Zig Zag wasn't awake but thanked them for their assistance? But he remained silent. He wanted to know the answer to Snowys question too. It might be good to visit her if possible.

"By the way, have any of you heard from the Chief Director?"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Static fidgeted. I was kinda hoping you'd be able to tell us. She never made it to the ballet last night. It didn't seem like Dusty was too concerned at first so I let it go. But...come to think of it, Dusty didn't go with the rest of us to dinner afterwards so...oh geeze!

[Remember, nothing's getting you down today. Date with Anchors, right?] Static fidgeted. I didn't see her all day yesterday either? When was the last time anypony saw her? [This is going to be another long day...isn't it?] Static could already see his date with Anchors slipping away! in another apocalyptic catastrophy. [Craaaaaaaaap!]

Snowy skies squinted at Steel Flint's response before remembering zip-top was a dreamwalker. He supposed bed rest was a rather different experience for her sort. And given what had happened last time she'd shown up in his dreams unannounced, she was unlikely to visit him.

"The last time I saw Brisk Iron was when she gave me my ticket to the show, roughly 24 hours ago. Do we have a later meeting than that on record?" When in question, assume the worst had already occurred. Sound advice from Salt Beard.

"When Dusty came in earlier, she said she hadn't heard from Brisk Iron since yesterday. Zig Zag couldn't find her either which is worrisome since that means there's one of two possibilities. I really hope it means..." Just then the employee entrance opened and slowly Brisk Iron walked in. There was a weariness quite unlike her usual demeanor and her step was very labored. Steel Flint immediately rushed over, "Where have you...?" "I've been busy. I plan to have a meeting with several of you later." "Perhaps you should have a meeting with ME now." Brisk Iron scolded at the voice. Turning to look, it came from a royal guard. While his white feathers and gold armor seemed indistinguishable from others, Brisk Iron flatly addressed him with, "Good morning, Major Delight."

Static nearly jumps at the sound of Brisk Iron's voice. He restrains himself from running over to help the limping Chief Director. Sweet Luna she looked like she'd been through a war!

As much as he wanted to see if there was anything he could do to help, he wasn't a healer. The sound of the royal guard and the seeing him stroll into the museum had Static taking several steps back in any case.

What the royal buck was going on?

"Well, Brisk Iron, it seems I hear that once again you have..." "Stop. Right. There. You and I both know that news doesn't travel to Canterlot that fast. You and I also know that the Princesses have full knowledge of what I do. I want to know why you're really here before I go through the proper channels and ask one of the Princesses myself." There was a brief staredown until the guard passed Brisk Iron a scroll with a royal seal. He then abruptly turned and walked out with a snort. "Well, that went better than usual." Steel Flint opened the scroll with her magic and held it where Brisk Iron could see it.

Static stood there stunned. He wanted to know what was on the scroll. But for one thing, he wasn't sure it was any of his business. For another, really only one thing was running through his head at the moment.

Our boss just stared down a royal guard. Our boss...just stared down...a royal guard...from Canterlot!

If Snowy Skies hadn't been completely certain what sort of pony Major Delight was just from his gait and self-important tone, it was certain now. He was that insufferable breed of pony that was far too easy to irritate, but whether it was done with jest or with purpose he would take horrific offense at any jibe.
How lovely.

On the plus side, Brisk Iron was present, alive, and conscious. 2 up on Zig-Zag in that regard. He does his (rather formidable) best to conceal his growing curiosity at the situation, and resolves to just watch with a serious expression. And dampen any sound that left the group anytime soon. That seemed wise, with Major Delight still nearby.

"You're several years too late for that," Brisk Iron said as she looked over the scroll. "Thankfully, it looks like I may actually have some good news for everyone later."

"A rarity, certainly." Snowy says drily. "Now then, since you're not missing or dead, which a moment ago was the primary impedance, we were wondering what it is that Night Cap is going to be doing around here. And, I suppose, where he's going to be doing it."

Static wasn't sure how to react. The confrontation was over. Brisk Iron said there'd be good news for everyone later. So...what about right now? Where they supposed to just go back to their normal business routine? Act like they hadn't just seen their boss...their battle battered boss...stare down a royal guard? Because those goose bumps aren't leaving him any time soon!

He looked to Snowy and Night Cap for some clue what to do next. Because at the moment, his hooves weren't obeying any of his commands to move.

"Hmm. Well..." Steel Flint closed the scroll and leaned towards Brisk Iron, "Zig Zag is looking for you. I don't think she's going to be able to properly rest until after you do. Regardless, you can't function like this." "Until the meeting later around lunch, Night Cap will need to report to Ready Quill. Static Signal can show you where he is. I guess I need to go tell Dusty I'm okay."

His office is actually pretty close to the theatre. I was headed there anyway to return my equipment. Follow me.

Static leads Night Cap through the museum. So...umm...earlier...was I being too informal? Do you mind being called Night...or is it always Night Cap?

"I'll just be heading towards the workboard and the janitor's closet, then." Snowy says. As Static and Night Cap walk away, he looks at Brisk Iron with clear, thoughtful eyes. "I probably need to see Dusty too, but I understand if you would find her separately."

Good to know. Well, here we are! Static knocks on Ready Quill's door.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Rhapsody tried to prevent Amber from pulling away and out of bed. "I can get to the museum in non time flat." She mumbles and remains in bed.

Tyberious, despite being a bat was already more awake and active then his owner. He was flying about the kitchen, already working of things like Coffee and breakfast; the wonders of prehensile feet. Even if the weight of some items would require more effort for him to maintain any kind of flight pattern. He looks to Amber as the beige unicorn makes her way into the room making a comment to her.

Amber sighed at Rhapsody's protest with a glance at her own bare back, then wobbled into the kitchen.

She nodded at the bat as it chittered, smiling. "Why yes, thank you, little Ty-Ty," she said, in the bubbly, saccharine voice reserved for children and small animals. "That's very thoughtful of you." She attempted to pat him on the head.

The nearest clock she found indicated that Amber was not yet, in fact, late. She waited for a couple of minutes over her coffee, feeling the warm vapor rise and wrap around her muzzle. Then, she stepped back into the bedroom, levitating her own and a second cup of coffee.

"If you really would still like to rest for a few minutes more, I can go on ahead," she said, quietly. She set down the coffee cups near the ruined alarm clock. She paused and turned in a small circle. Amber had imagined walking together with Rhapsody back to the Keep. Ponies would see them together, of course. Make assumptions. Likely ask all sorts of invasive questions. Amber imagined being badgered with questions about the tough, dark, beautiful mare. She couldn't help thinking of Snowy Skies and his unexpected interest in her glasses. Oh, yes, Rhapsody. She's my marefriend.

"Come ... ON!" Amber nearly shouted, lunging at Rhapsody and tugging on her as if to pull her out of the bed.

As Light Fantastic dreamed, she no longer had the ominous foreboding of the last few nights. Replaying a misadventure she and Silky Double-Time had recovering some coffee, she surprisingly hears a weak voice with heavy congestion behind her, *cough cough* "Please...help me..." When she turned to face the mare, Light Fantastic suddenly woke up.

Tyberious gives Amber a death glare as she talked down to him, and hissed at the attempt to pet him. As amber prepared her coffee, the bat flew over with a cup of sugar, and when she wasn't looking dumped the entire thing in; after all, if she liked things saccharine, well then coffee would naturally be way to bitter for her.

Rhapsody grumbles as Amber talks to her, waving her off idly, her mind not yet ready to fully comprehend spoken words. Though if Amber learns anything this morning its that Pegasi are actually really light; at least compared to the other tribes of ponies. As such, it doesn't take the unicorn nearly as much effort as she thinks she would, which results in Rhapsody sliding effortlessly collapsing into a heap with Amber under her.

Rhapsody blinks and looks around as she realizes she is no longer in her soft warm bed... and then notices Amber under her. "Huh... I thought you preferred being on top..."

Amber looked down at herself, then up to Rhapsody, still not quite certain how she'd found herself in the position and not entirely uncomfortable with it. "No," she said simply, somewhat sheepishly. "There's coffee," she said, nodding in the direction of the cups. "Tyberious uses an awful lot of sugar, doesn't he? I suppose he can't help being so sweet, but really, it's quite ... hmm. In any case, I simply thought that we might walk together this morning. I know you're used to flying to work, but, ah -" It seemed difficult to articulate it may be almost ten hours before I see you again in a form that didn't sound somewhat strange even to Amber. "Please?"

Light Fantastic bolted out of her bed after waking up from her dream.

"When will this end?" she wondered to herself. And the dream had started off so nicely as well.

Speaking of coffee, since she wasn't going to be able to get back to sleep, she stumbled over to her coffee maker, and put on an entire pot.

"I hope Silky and the other dancers are okay after what happened last night," she thought.

"No, not usually. Its usually too much for him to bother carrying." Rhapsody replies as she stands up, making sure not to do so on the pony below her. "I could fly us there." She suggests but shrugs as she stretches out some.. "But, I suppose if you want to we could just walk." Rhapsody says, sounding a bit teasing as she opens a drawer, retrieving one of about a dozen identical looking alarm clocks stored in there and placing it next to the bed.

"Just give a moment to get ready." She says with another good stretch as she faces away from her marefriend and opens another dresser drawer filled with rainbow stockings.

Brisk Iron nodded in response to Snowy Skies' comment and then walked away. Meanwhile, Ready Quill opened the door to his office, Ah-good-morning. I'm-guessing-this-is-Night-Cap?

After savoring her aromatic cup of coffee and doing her morning stretches, Light Fantastic headed to meet the rest of the ballet company. On the way there, she passed a carriage transporting a somewhat tall unicorn mare with a deep purple coat and blue hair. Upon arriving, Light Fantastic saw the other dancers talking among themselves. Silky Double-Time walked! up and sighed, "Last night was something else, wasn't it?"

Eeyup! That's him. Today's his first day...still don't know what department he's working in yet. Night Cap, this is Ready Quill. I'll let you two talk. Mr. Quill, I do have something to ask you, but it can wait till your done. Static steps back to the doorway behind Night Cap. Would you prefer if I leave you two alone?

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Hmm," Amber said, sipping her coffee again quizzically. "You know, I didn't intend to say anything, but I was becoming worried Tyberious didn't at all approve of me. I wonder if this is his way of saying he likes me." She smiled.

Amber waited as Rhapsody got ready and walked close by her side as they set out for the Keep.

Snowy Skies frowns subtly. Politeness was so bothersome, In situations like this. He glances at Steel Flint. His apology from yesterday seemed rather silly, at this point. Last night he had not only proven his worth, but managed to do so without reducing anyone to tears. Not that she was exactly present for that, but surely she had heard...hm.

"This is not something I look forward to, but I suppose I have to learn." He says, looking at Steel Flint with a resigned glance. "But what manner of paperwork do we need to fill out about last night?"

Steel Flint seemed mentally preoccupied, then snapped out of it and responded to Snowy Skies,
"This was more of stepping in as good citizens as opposed to the typical expeditions so I figure most of that will be handled through the police reports."

Ready Quill happily nodded,
"There's-still-be-things-here-and-there-that-the-Chief-Director-needs-to-clear-up. For-now-you-will-be-assisting-Static-Signal. Since-he-got-footage-of-last-night's-ballet-he'll-get-to-splice-together-a-short-film-about-the-Anugypt-Strut. Already-reassigned-today's-theater-schedule.-Also-I'm-promoted-to-department-head."

That's...actually part of what I wanted to talk to you about. I haven't had a chance to go over it yet, but I think I got some pretty good footage last night.

Problem is...well...I'm sure you heard about the...incident. I want to make sure nothing I put into the final product is...classified. So, any guidelines I should have as far as what not to put in would be...helpful.

Light Fantastic gave Silky a wry smile.

"I'd really prefer to not think about it at the moment," she said, "I'm just glad that you and the rest of the crew are okay now. By the way, has any other pony seen that carriage in town? Any idea on who it could be?"

Rhapsody ponders as Amber explains her feelings and then shakes her head. "Nope. Trust me, you'll know if he actually likes you. More then likely this is some kind of subtle revenge scheme of his. He actually puts in more effort when he doesn't like you, then if he does." She giggles softly as she finishes getting ready and joins Amber out front.

"Really now." Snowy Skies says, resisting the urge to comically widen his eyes. That spin on events was news to him. He had gone to the ballet with the express intention of saving the world (more or less). "I suppose that leaves me with a day of janitorial work. I was hoping for some break to the monotony." He turns to walk towards the surprising close janitorial supply closet, trying not to make it obvious that he would really prefer some other work to do. When you go in to your job expecting to do one thing, and that one thing is denied to you, it can mess up your rhythm for the whole day.

Ready Quill pondered, "I-figure-you-should-mostly-use-good-judgement. Focus-on-the-play-itself-and-not-on-rescue-efforts. Probably-splice-in-footage-from-other-movies. In-fact-you-should-probably-run-and-take-some-footage-of-the-repaired-document-before-it-gets-shipped-back-overseas."

Silky Double-Time arched an eyebrow in curiosity, "There's a few carriages considering the foreign dignitaries here. What did this one look like? I'm sure we can keep an eye out for it if you want."

After gathering the needed supplies and walking down the hall, Snowy Skies saw Dusty Winds giving Brisk Iron a huge hug. Brisk Iron was saying something to Dusty until she looked up and noticed Snowy Skies standing there.

Snowy lets out a small 'akward pause' cough, amplifying it so it can be heard farther down the hall. "Sorry, carry on." He says, wheeling the cart past them.

Amber was slightly disappointed about Tyberious, but there was a noticeable bounce in her trot all the way to the Keep as she found herself watching for random passersby and thinking of how she might look with Rhapsody, finding herself walking just a step behind Rhapsody's gait to best accent the powerful mare's presence. As the pair talked on their way to the Keep, Amber kept up the posture, that's right, she chose me, I belong to this one, all the way to the employee entrance and on the way to report to Brisk Iron about the night's events before heading off to their respective offices.

Static couldn't help but smile. He could feel a burst of energy just begging to be released. He couldn't wait to get started. Yes sir, you read my mind. Night Cap, follow me!

As Static and Night Cap left the office, Static jumped several feet in the air, nearly nocking Night Cap over with a hug that came from out of no where. Oh sweet Luna, Night Cap, do you know what this means?

There was definitely a schoolfilly'ish squee in Static's voice. All that was missing were the pigtails. This was not the sullen Static Night Cap had seen the previous two days.

I won't just be running other pony's documentaries. I do this right, I'll actually be able to create things. Ponies will watch something I made. Night Cap, this is huge!

Night Cap struggled to keep up with the excitable Static. It was a wonder that this was even the same Static he'd known.

When they reached the Strut room, Static set up his equipment and started recording footage. It may only be a piece of stone with musical notes etched in it (I never was clear on exactly what the Strut was. Correct me and I'll edit)...but by Luna he intended to film the Tartarus out of that stone.

While filming the Strut and taking still pictures, Static tried to show Night Cap the basics of filmography. The controls of the camera, the importance of lighting, basic movements like the panning, the zooming...how to keep movements smooth so as to not make the audience motion sick. He would never understand why some of the big name movie makers made it a point to use rapid camera movements. If they didn't intend the subject to be seen clearly, better to just not film it!

When he had enough footage of the Strut itself, Static led Night Cap to the editing bays.

Static gave Night Cap a sideways glance as the walked. Mr. Quill wants you to assist me. I'd say there must be a reason for it. He may have you assisting me today just so that you can learn these skills.

And even if Ms. Iron moves you to some other department...well, you at least have today to learn what you can. And there are consumer grade cameras that you can buy if you want.

Whether it's here at work or afterwards when we're off the clock, I can show you a what I know.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"It was rather strange," said Light Fantastic, "It kind of reminded me of Princess Celestia's carriage, but instead of have a solar motif to it, it had a star motif. Lots of deep blues and purples as well."

Rhapsody walks next to Amber, finding it interesting how much more.. bouncy... the unicorn seems to be this morning, and smiles softly. Its was a nice day for a simple walk and talk with her marefriend; even if she still could have just carried her the whole way to work. Once inside, she follow Amber to Brisk's office. She still wasn't a fan of reports, but at least today should be a more normal day...

Heh! I know that feeling.

I really couldn't say what's considered "overstaffed" as far as the making of documentaries is concerned. But I can't imagine having another point of view on things to be bad. It wouldn't hurt to ask if it's what you want to do.

I mean, if that is what you want to do. What are your interests? I mean, I know you're a dream walker, but surely that's not your only interest!

Static raised an eyebrow. More intense then the creation of the entire universe? Consider my interest piqued.

Static winced. Uhh...my interest is piqued...but I'm afraid I'm going to need smaller words.

Silky Double-Time and the other dancers nodded, "Yeah, I've seen it. Next time I..." "Wait a minute..." One of the other dancers searched through a saddlebag and pulled out a picture, "I saw it yesterday during break and thought it looked pretty, so I took a picture."

Brisk Iron nodded to Dusty Winds and Dusty flew off. Directing her attention to Snowy Skies, "I believe you needed to speak to me?"

Snowy cocks his head, then dismisses his pink wall. "What?"

"Or, I guess not. We'll speak later, then."

Brisk Iron didn't trust him. That was probably a good thing, for the Keep in general. If she trusted him, who knew how long that list might be.

"What? No! We can talk now! I didn't hear you. Sheesh!" He hurries forward, wincing as some small muscle in his foreleg cramps, and catches up to Dusty. "I just wanted to say thank you. Thank you for putting up with me for this long. I am not a particularly good janitor, and I'm made some...transcendentally stupid mistakes that have only served to make more work for everybody. So thank you for being patient with me, and not getting mad. My therapist says I should be thanking people in my life for what they've done for me."

Light Fantastic glanced at the picture.

"That's it," she said, "That's the carriage I saw. I wonder who it could be."

"Well, if we see her again, we'll just have to ask." Silky Double-Time winked, "What I'm curious about is what we'll be doing for the next few days. I know it'll be a bit before our next performance and...hey, want to check out the museum?"

As Brisk Iron walked to her office, she paused and sighed upon seeing Amber Spark and Rhapsody waiting at the door, "No disrespect but I've had no sleep and don't have the energy for a discussion. I'll be speaking with everypony as a group later."

Dusty Winds gave Snowy Skies a reassuring smile, "We were all once new at some point so just keep working on it. And hey, sounds like you've got a smart therapist."

Static and Fnu arrive at the editing bays.

Not quite the line he was hoping to bait out, but he could work with it. "Thank you." He replies, his voice hellishly gravelly, with an odd background tone reminiscent of crackling flames. "I'm helping him work out his inner demons." Snowy Skies cracks up, and his voice returns to normal. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, haha. That was a joke. I'm not possessed, I promise. *pfft* I've just wanted to make that joke for a very long time." He takes a deep breath, trying and successfully reigning in his giggles. "Out of all of that, the thanks really were genuine, though." He finishes, smiling and quivering a little as he resists the urge to laugh some more. "So, what are we doing today?"

"I think you're assigned to cleaning the inner dome of the planetarium. You up for it? Figure you can reach it with your magic."

As Static and Night Cap passed through the doors, there were a few small tables to the left. A few already had ponies at them working over their own projects. These are for planning. You can sketch out ideas for what footage you want where, what you want the title cards to look like, scripts...all before you hit the actual editing machines.

He directed Night Cap to a smaller room, barely enough room for two ponies to stand side by side together with sound proofed walls and a sliding glass door. A single shelf was attached to the back wall with the actual editing machine installed in it. This is where we'll start, though. I want to see what kind of footage I have before I plan out what I want to do with it.

Static threaded the film into the editor and started scanning through it. We only want to focus on the play and not the STOMP activities. That makes the entire third reel useless. We can be grateful this is a documentary and not a full performance. Everything really went to Tartarus there at the last.

What's important here is that we tell the history of the strut and the ballet around it. That doesn't necessarily mean we have to let the ballet itself be the thing to tell that story. A narrator's voice here and there...an explanation of the legend using several cuts of the dancers acting it out here and there. It doesn't even have to be chronological.

Static advanced the film to a certain point. This is where everything went south. It's also the point that had the most intense music. We can use the music separate from the video. I'll want to save that for later. Static recorded the audio track to a separate tape. Now we can use that music with any video we want. I think the narrator with some still shots of the Strut itself will set things up nicely.

We...should probably blur out some of the more critical notes on the Strut. Last time someone sang it, it summoned an ancient queen that tried to kill us. Best to make it as unreadable as possible while still making it obvious what it is.

I think we have what we need here. Now we go back out to the table and write our script based on what we have.

Static led Night Cap back out to the table and took out a piece of paper. So now we draft up a script telling the history of the strut. We lived it. What about last night strikes out most to you?

Snowy's smile falters a little. "It shouldn't be too much of a challenge. Am I working with anyone?"

Forgotten about you? Static asked. You mean you've met her before?

Amber nodded at Ms. Iron. "Yes, ma'am," she said. "I'll just go and begin my shift." She nodded to Rhapsody as she turned back down the hallway.

"Yes Ma'am. I know how rough some nights can get for a mare..." Rhapsody replies and turned to Amber, giving her a kiss after Brisk had entered her office. "I suppose I'll see you later. Try not to get buried in those books of yours." The black pegasus teases; as she walks with Amber till they had to break paths which each other.

Amber smiled. "If you get lost in the stars, don't forget about me," she said.

"Stars are all I ever see, when I am with you." Rhapsody grins softly before Amber trots away.

I guess not, Static replies, making more notes on his script. Glad the rest of us could be there to help you get rid of your personal nemesis. You were there to help me with mine after all. Don't think I've forgotten that.

Static takes his notes and leads Night Cap back to the editing machine. I'll need quite here. These microphones pick up everything. I run the raw film from the camera up on this reel here. The music I sampled before and my voice reading the script will play along at the same time and mix it all down to a single roll of film down here. He started the film and music running.

The script Static had written seemed accurate enough. It seemed a bit text book to Night Cap, sprinkled with maybe a few facts Static learned by being at the ballet personally. But then is was a museum film. It wasn't meant to take the place of actual book research.

He repeated the process for several different portions of film before combining it all in one long clip.

This is it...well...at least a rough draft of it. Next we take it to the producer who will take a look at it, make notes of things that need fixed: pacing issues, wording issues. Your average film will go through several re-edits before the studio will put their final okay on it. But I think we have a good start.

Static took a deep sigh as he turned to Night Cap. So, this dream walking you do, does it often make you enemies of this quee...princesses caliber? I mean...are you in any trouble at the moment?

Night Cap looks skyward.

"We are all in trouble."

Static fidgets a bit. When you say "We are all in trouble..." are you talking about in general we're always in trouble...or there's something specific going on right now where we're in imminent danger?

Night Cap sighs.

"I've probably said too much. I've only said anything because you've just seen one of your coworkers get possessed by an ancient evil after humming some music off an old relic. You've been introduced to a much larger world, and to treat you otherwise would be unfair. But then, you have hopes and dreams. Telling you everything would be terribly unkind."

"I think I can at least assure you that 'imminent' is not a useful word. Yes, trouble's coming. In cosmological time, tomorrow. In our time, it's probably a different story."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Light Fantastic grinned.

"That sounds like a wonderful idea," she said, "It'll be fun!"

After arriving in the Antiquities and Restoration offices, Amber Spark was greeted by Steel Flint, "Good morning, Amber. It seems we've gotten in something of...oh my. It seems you're putting your paycheck to use." Amber felt a very brief magical tug on her new glasses.

Dusty Winds pondered a moment, "Not directly. I'll be helping you get started and usually somepony from the astronomy division should be directing you. Pending on who it is, they help with the cleaning, too."

After walking through the building, Snowy Skies and Dusty Winds arrived at the planetarium. Dusty spotted and waved a wing at Rhapsody, "Here for the regular dome cleaning. Gonna be showing Snowy here the ropes."

While some stayed behind, a sizable hoofful of dancers gathered up their saddlebags and joined Light Fantastic on the trip to the Equestrian Expedition Keep. After a brief wait for the museum to open and being greeted at the door, Light Fantastic and the other dancers spotted the tour guide--a cream colored pegasus mare with a thick red mane.

Snowy Skies blinked, his usual expression of mild surprise. Even without the fancy dress, he recognized those muscle patterns. The coat color and rainbow motif were perfectly good hints, too, but the muscles, roughly around the right shoulder-blade, were burned into his eyes (almost literally, really). "You work here?" He asks, more curious than rude. It made perfect sense, but he thought he knew most of the Keep workers by now. Clearly he needed to spend more time in the planetarium dome.

Amber unconsciously flinched and tried in vain to look at her own glasses to follow Ms. Flint's focus, succeeding only in crossing her eyes. She shook her head. Really, was there anypony in this building who wasn't convinced she was a spendthrift? "I had a date, ma'am," she said simply. "And they were not quite so expensive as you might imagine. What is the situation?"

"While I'd offer my congratulations to the craftsmare, you have a valid point about the task of the moment." Walking over to a well lined shipping crate, it was revealed to have several metallic squares caked in some sort of rocky material. However, one had a sizable portion of the inner metal revealed. It was rose gold with deeply intricate etchings that were embedded with white alabaster. "It was just delivered this morning and I don't know what to make of it. At least we get to do something with this kind of excitement as opposed to the 'excitement' of being attacked."

Maple was excited, this was the best part of her job: waiting just beyond the doorway, a rush of new faces. Standing by the little booth - two posts and a sign really, that said "guided tours" ... easily just something anypony could glance at and never see. She had just finished the last of her 'trip into work' piece of toffee as the doors opened.

The first few visitors through the door were locals, A happy smile and nod from Maple was a pleasant way to great them. Some had already warmed up to her and returned greetings of 'Good morning' or 'How do you do?' in kind... but these ponies were not who Maple was here for. As a group they entered... the one in the middle had to be Light Fantastic, the famous dancer. Maple knew in advance that she would see them here today... knew already exactly what would happen. But Seeing the looks on their faces as they Spotted her at her little sign and posts... it was a warm happy feeling of being needed. It was the best part of her day.

"Welcome everyone. Would you kindly please raise a hoof if this is your first visit with us..." Maple noted as a few hooves go up "...okay, and those of you who have been before, would you kindly do the same if this will be you first time taking the tour." Maple's smile beamed as the rest of the ponies raise a hoof.

"Wonderful, My name Is Maplejack, but please- Maple is fine. We're going to have a lot of fun ... Please if you would..." Maple motions with a wing off in a direction away from the main doors. "... follow me this way to our tour's opening exhibit, the recently relocated Equestrian Princesses Display."

Despite all the happy smiles and excited murmuring... going to see the wax Princesses, was not the best part of her day.

Fair enough, Static said, unsure of how to continue. There was a bit of a silence before he said anything more.

You strike me as a pony that's used to having to keep a lot of secrets, so I'll try not to ferret out anything you don't want to talk about.

But you also strike me as a pony that wants to be able to say something. So, if there's anything you need to talk about...or even just want to talk about...feel free.

It sounds like you're trying to protect me from some ugly truth. I've...already seen a few ugly truths lately...and I'm not just talking about COIN or the queen last night. So if there's something you need help with...

Static struggled for the words. There was another pause while he tried to figure out what it was he wanted to say. He wasn't used to being so open about things. It was hard to express just how grateful he was.

You really helped me last night. I realize that in actuality, circumstances left you out in the hallway while I had to face Dazzling Midnight alone anyway. But the bottom line is that you were there for me. If you hadn't gone with me, I doubt I would've been able to set hoof in that apartment, let alone face her.

So just know...I'm here to return the favor.

...don't think you'd be saying that if you saw how she made her exit. There's something...not natural about that one.

She's all kinds of seductive, but I pity the pony that falls for her wiles.

Static gathers the reels in hoof and leads Night Cap to where he submits them for review.

Along the way he continues the coversation.

By the way, I hope you weren't wanting that cider. I threw the rest out this morning. I...really needed to get it out of my site. Been wanting too much of it lately.

She not only knew where I work, she knew where I used to work. She knew I was from Manehatten. Luna bless! She even knew I worked in the theatre!

Like my ex-boss? Static said with a scoff that let Night Cap know that was not a simple wild guess.

Static gives Night Cap a sideways glance then just laughs. Pony feathers! Those mules sure get their hooves into bucking near everything, don't they?

Static sighs. Really makes you appreciate the ones you know you can trust though, doesn't it?

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Having arrived at the display of life size Wax Sculptures, Maple takes a position against the far wall - to give her group plenty of room to mill about.

"Sculpted by Madam Tussle, a very talented Unicorn mare -originally from Prance. These Wax Sculptures of our four current Alicorn Princesses have each been given an additional magical embellishment... spells worked into the wax itself by the artist."

Maple indicates with a slightly shaking hoof, the first figure. "First we have Princess Celestia, sculpted in her traditional "raising the sun" pose ... take note while her mane appears to flow as the real princess's does. This is in fact do to the magic imbued in it's wax. the actual spell set into this sculpture only appears on Cloudy day's or just before dawn and dusk. A small light spell is cast from within the it. which is just powerful enough to light the exhibit for a short time."

Stepping to her left, Maple Indicates the next Princess. "Next, her Sister Luna, only recently returned to the display not long after she herself returned. Shown here in her Traditional armor. Though Keep visitors have often come to the statue in a belief that it will enhance their likelihood of having a pleasant dream. Madam Tussle regrets that her magic is not nearly that strong. ... the statue Like that of her Sister, reacts to Dramatic changes in the lighting of the exhibit hall. During the hottest brightest days of the Caballuston summer - a similar shadow spell is placed over the room where the princesses are displayed."

Taking another side step against the wall, her tail now actually firmly touching the wall, Maple Indicates with a wing tip the third princess on display. "Princess Mi Amore Cadenza - Cadance, as she would like. Sculpted here in dramatic fashion based on personal accounts from the recently returned Crystal ponies. With Wings and hooves stretched wide she is sculpted holding a replica of 'The Crystal Heart'... While Madam Tussle insists the spell cast into this statue is only used to add realism to the hovering replica of the heart, couples coming to this display often report seeing their special somepony briefly glow like a Crystal pony if the love is true." Smiling despite herself, Maple adds -noticing a pair of ponies try to nonchalantly both step closer to the display at the same time... "Sadly our statistics minded staff members have not yet been able to verify the claims. Perhaps that will change in time and we will make it an optional part of future guided couples tours." Maple Beams at the idea of adding additional tours. Quickly adding an addendum recently added to her guide's guide notebook. "The Artist also wishes our visitors to know that she is hard at work trying to convince Prince Shining Armor to pose for her as well -his busy schedule has currently prevented his addition to this display."

Sadly the smile fades a little around the edges when she comes to the last pony. "Only very recently becoming an Alicorn Princess, we come at last to Twilight Sparkle the Princess of Friendship, Seen here posed quietly sitting with her faithful companion Spike the Dragon, and displayed with her magic element of harmony. This Sculpture is a favorite with our younger visitors, do to her relatively smaller stature -compared to her fellow somewhat more intimidating Princesses." Maple moves away from the wall and back toward the head of the group. "Currently the Twilight wax figure is not gifted with any magical enhancement as Madam Tussle has begun work on a new display for Twilight Sparkle and her friends who also represent elements of harmony..." Maple Smiles again now that she isn't focused on the Alicorns and with a small chuckle adds, "...I hope she has that finished before any more ponies become Princesses, Princess Applejack would need a lot of new sculpting." - calming herself Maple then asks the group if there were any questions before moving on. Noting again that the apparent couple had not exactly moved back away from the Princess Cadance model.

Static returns the smirk. Only fair. I believe I've already called you comrade, in thought if not words, more than once already. Heck! You and the rest of...our...team...I honestly consider family at this point.

Well, aside from dinner last night...I'm not sure I have either.

I've probably talked with Amber the most, but even that's usually right before something really bad happens. Snowie I've talked to about as much as I've talked to you. Light I've only talked to briefly. Rhapsody I haven't really talked to at all.

Hmm...we need more times where we can be together without the fate of all Equestria depending on us.

Static turns in the reel he'd been working on. Come on. We should probably report back to Mr. Quill.

Static leads Night Cap back to Ready Quills office. But he takes his time. He's enjoyed getting to know Night Cap. There was no hurry to get back.

But you've worked with them before on some other...excursion...haven't you? Were you the team when they got the...I believe Ms. Iron called it the Wand of the North Wind? She briefly mentioned it when she confirmed me as a member of...our group...mostly just that Amber and Light were a part of the expedition that helped retrieve this wand.

Were you there? Cause...wow! I mean...there's guarding a museum and then there's traveling to distant locations, uncovering ancient relics and...and...and I just asked you a question without even giving you the chance to answer. I'm sorry.

I seem to be doing that a lot lately. My coffee intake seems to be increasing more the less cider I have. I'm...all out of whack. Sorry. But...were you with them?

Rhapsody had just gotten in meer moments for Dusty and Snowy arrived. She nodded to the pair. "Ah good. Still a bit an early morning for me." She replies, after all her cutie mark was of the moon. She looks over to Snowy, her purple eyes seeming to anaylize him; it had been a long night for her... and booze hadn't helped make the morning any easier to cope with, even if it had made things more fun after dinner... "Yes, I am one of the top Astronomers here. It's not like I spend all my free time tackling ponies to the ground at night..." She says with soft chuckle. "Sorry about that though... I... don't always know my own strength it seems..."

Snowy shrugs. "Eh, it was one blow out of 10. No big deal." He looks up at the vast dome, then looks back at Dusty. "So, how are we cleaning this? A mop seems a little small."

Light Fantastic gasped at the wax figures of the princesses.

"They look so real," she said, in amazement, "I wonder if these are Madam Tussle has done any other work."

Static wondered if Night Cap might be exaggerating with the "30" but didn't think it important enough to really press the issue. More important was the fact that...

So they were there too! Luna bless, they really do have thier hooves in everything!

Do you ever get tired of being reactionary? They attack your expedition, you have to defend. They attack the museum, we defend. They invade my home...I bucking retreat!

Ever feel like just once maybe we should put them on defense?

Dusty Winds shook her head, "Nah, mops drip too much. We use sponges and a special cleaning solution. Usually we start in the center an move to the edges. Rhapsody, could you partially open the dome? I'll go ahead and clean where the two halves meet. Sometimes the other janitors forget to do that."

Silky Double-Time passed cameras to the other dancers but none seemed to have any questions for Maplejack.

"Well all right then, please follow me as we make our way down Hall H, there are a number of displays and Exhibits on the way to the Planetarium. Our next stop will be 'The Crystal Empire cultural appreciation exhibit' Maple paused a moment to make sure the secret pair of special someponies made eye contact with her.
"At one of the displays there you actually can see what you would look like as a crystal pony." Walking backward as she went Maple continued to touch on many of the displays, artwork and other rooms as they moved along. While the tours were designed to highlight many of the Keep attractions, it also left much of the building off the rotation - in order to promote return visits and instill individuals with the joy of exploration. She would later have to make a note that the map she had quickly memorized that morning appeared to have two hall 'h'es ..if that was a printing error, fine... but if there was an interesting story behind it -Maple would have to remember to mention it to the tour groups.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I might be able to give some of the lower downs some leeway. Sometimes I have to remind myself that if not for a few ill-chosen words, I might have joined them myself.

But once they reach the status of breaking into museums, swiping the glasses off one of my friends to blind them while mocking them and invading my home and threatening my life...that's where my pity ends.

And as a whole, that organization just really needs to cease to exist. An organization that doesn't exist can't recruit the impressionable innocents, after all.

"Yes, I am sure you're being fine is why you seemed so stunned to see me, and not because of any traumatic flashbacks to being treated like a training dummy..." Rhapsody says with a slight smirk to Snowy and then looks over to Dusty and nods. "Sure thing." She replies and walks over to the dome controllers and fiddles with the clockwork mechanics to open the dome, letting in the accursed sunlight and allowing the two to do their jobs.

What an interesting, insufferable young mare.
Snowy blinks and tilts his head, and any tremors or hesitation Rhapsody could have seen in his body melted away. "You're over-thinking things." He says simply. He eyes the vaulted ceiling, measuring the distance, and extends a ladder up the edge of the dome. Grabbing a sponge and a bucket of cleaning fluid, he climbs up the ladder, finally bringing a large spread of stone into his limited telekinetic range. As he sets to scrubbing, he says "You're quite talented, then. Bone breaking, a lovely singing voice, and a head full of stars."

Rhapsody watches as Snowy steeled himself in front of her to wash away any apparent flaws. "And you're hiding the truth in order to provide an illusion of who you really are. After all, that is what you are good at, isn't it? Illusions? Such as your orchestra last night. Very well done, if I do say so myself. You're horn also looks to be much better today, I am sure you are happy about that." She replies with a soft giggle as the white unicorn went to work, conveniently putting distance between himself and her. She perks her ears at the voice and grins. "Yes, I know that trick as well." She comments playfully; after all, it simply wouldn't do to let the conversation remain one sided. "And yes, there is a lot to me. I suppose that is part of what Amber sees in me. I also study various forms of magic; though naturally I'm no where near as accomplished as a Unicorn."

Oh, this mare was perfect. Patting herself on the back for seeing what she saw, and not looking any deeper. He hadn't gotten to interact with anyone like this in ages. By design, to be fair. Conversation was a tricky thing, with her sort. But he felt good, today. Life was starting anew. He fancied a challenge.

"Yes, how do you find time for so many activities, in addition to such an...active social life? How long have you two been together?"

Rhapsody wasn't the type to really dig, spend enough time with a person and you'll eventually start seeing the truths about them. She ponder the question for a moment. "I come from a mixed family, my father is a unicorn. So studying magic has just been a part of my life really; just another topic in my lessons growing up along with things like science and history." She says giving a rather simple summery of her studies into magic, she didn't see too much reason to hide anything, though she didn't have a reason to go into full detail either as she answered his questions.

"As for Singing, its always been my natural talent, it helps me focus on my work; never could understand how people could study or work in pure silence. But my main passion lies in the night sky. I was brought up on stories about Princess Luna; and how her greatest desire was for us to enjoy the artistic tapestry that is her night sky and how that lead to her down fall. So I have devoted my life to the the ideal of studying it and making sure others can understand her work and enjoy it at any time. I want her to know now that there certainly are ponies that appreciate her and the work she does as one of our princesses." She continues as she starts to go over various notes and papers, checking to see what all needs to be done, while Snowy and Dusty clean. "Last night was our first date; but we've been seeing each other a bit off and on here at the museum for a little while now. We sorta hit it off in sort of an inter-department meeting and things kinda... snowballed from there."

"That's all interesting, but its not really my question. You clearly keep up with all of this at once. Just what are your days and nights like?"

Rhapsody laughs as she realizes you are taking her comment about her hobbies more seriously then she meant it to sound. "Hardly all at once as you seem to think. I am simple pegasus, the fact I find time to handle multiple interests just means I am good at balancing my time." She replies with a shrug. "My night life is hardly as active as you think it is; I am not the type that spends her nights prowling the streets looking for trouble; as I said last night was my first date.. and that came about mostly through work schedules aligning. I don't spend all my free time in a book either, when I know of something I want to learn I study it at my own pace. Other then that, I am mostly working or just enjoying the nights."

As conversation continued, Dusty Winds swiftly finished cleaning her part of the dome, then flew down to the floor, "Pretty sure you already know Rhapsody, you can close the dome after 15 minutes. Should be dry then. I've got a bunch of other stuff assigned to do so I gotta get going."

Heh! You've seen the kind of apartment I'm used to living in. I'm not sure you want that for your own home. Up until last night I've always lived barely a block away from the slums. I only have the apartment I do now because I've been relocated by the police. So...I may be the last pony you want housing advice from.

You may not want to ask me about restaurants either. Before last night the only place I ever ate out was at a place called Skivey's Diner a few blocks from here. It gets closed by the health inspector just as a matter of routine.

Sorry I'm not much help. But the places I live, the places I eat...I honestly just wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy...well...maybe.

Snowy inspects a bit of stonewall, still ranging with his sponge. "That doesn't add up. You're singing voice is your special talent, so let's remove vocal exercises from the equation and just assume your voice is always nice. There are heights with it you can't reach right now, but who cares about those? Astronomy is your full time job, and your hobby besides. You pour hours into it. And yet, you move like a proud jungle beast. Perfectly balanced, poised and ready to move. Even hungover as you are now, it's still there. I might call it killing intent, but most ponies find that rude." His monologue is interrupted as the sponge starts to shake under the strain. He had reached his limit. Drawing the sponge back in, he climbed down the ladder, repositioned it,

Light Fantastic giggled as she took a look at what she would look like as a Crystal Pony. Her usual curly hair was in a loose, but very stunning braid slung around her left shoulder. Her tail was braiding in a similar manner.

"I look so regal," she said.

Light gratefully accepted the camera from Silky and snapped a picture.

"I really need to try this style later," she said, "Silky! You should totally try this out!"

Snowy inspects a bit of stonewall, still ranging with his sponge. "That doesn't add up. You're singing voice is your special talent, so let's remove vocal exercises from the equation and just assume your voice is always nice. There are heights with it you can't reach right now, but who cares about those? Astronomy is your full time job, and your hobby besides. You pour hours into it. And yet, you move like a proud jungle beast. Perfectly balanced, poised and ready to move. Even hungover as you are now, it's still there. I might call it killing intent, but most ponies find that rude." His monologue is interrupted as the sponge starts to shake under the strain. He had reached his limit. Drawing the sponge back in, he climbed down the ladder, repositioned it, and continued, waving to Dusty as she left. "The last pony I met that moved like that was named Furious Bellows. A blacksmith, painted a bit in his spare time. He wasn't too happy when I told him about it because he thought he'd turned it off. He explained to me that before he'd apprenticed as a blacksmith, he'd made his living in underground Boxing Rings. He quickly forbade me from making any Furious Blows puns, and asked that we never talk about it again, but not before explaining to me that this...readiness to pounce only develops when you spend hours at a stretch in danger. And, as we both learned that day, it never really goes away." He sighs, almost nostalgically. "It takes a special type of pony to develop that stance. I'd love to have it, myself. But in any case I have ranged very far afield today. You are an astronomer, at work and away from it. And yet your physique matches someone who does heavy physical labor, and you move like someone's going to jump you. There just aren't enough hours in the day to accomplish all three of those separately, and yet your nights are supposed to be quiet?"
Well. He knew he had been going somewhere with that. He had just let the words flow. He'd practically forgotten about Furious Bellows. Had he painted any lakes recently? He should track the old pegasus down.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Static winced. He'd never heard of that particular Inn...but with that kind of name, did you really need to know specifics?

I'll write you a list of some of the places I looked at when I first moved here from Manehatten. They're all pretty rough neighborhoods though. So I'd strongly suggest asking someone who seems like they'd live in a nicer place...Rhapsody or Amber maybe?

But I don't get it. Judging from the styles you were going for last night at tailors, you look like somepony who's not exactly broke. And you fit in with those higher society types than I would've figured. Why stay somewhere like...where I'd live?

This certainly got Rhapsody's attention, and then she sighs. "There was some trouble when I was younger, nearly lost one of my sisters and it was mostly my fault that it happened." She says with a huff, not really wanting to talk about this, but can tell you're just not going to let it go. "I refused to let such a mistake happen again, so during my summers as a kid, when I didn't have school to worry about; I spent time to better my skills to avoid such mistakes again. I will not let harm come to another if I can do something about it." She says her tone a bit more intense as she talks about the...minor obsession she has developed in keeping others safe.

"A few months after moving here for my job, I was attacked by COIN agents... they thought the astral maps I had on me would be important for some relic or something, afterwards I spent several weeks in a self defense class to learn how to fight. My teacher showed my to harness the my strength and agility in ways to keep me safe in case they should ever target me again; and considering we just had such an attack recent... Yeah, I'm still a bit on edge seeing as we had several double agents in our employ; who knows, we still might..." She says and then looks up to him. "Happy now?"

Snowy blinks in confusion. He'd been a little lost in old thoughts about lakes, trees, mountains, and Jabberwocks (though he had caught most of what she'd said). It was tempting to pretend he hadn't heard any of it, but he felt that was enough antagonizing for a moment, however accidental that might have been. "Sorry for going in the wrong direction." he says sympathetically. He was no stranger to having conversations go in unfortunate directions (like, say, this one). He turns to focus on his cleaning for a moment, thinking about what else to discuss. The conversation seems to slowly be closing in on their one point of shared ground: Amber, who was certainly not his favorite topic of conversation. He really needed to think of something to avoid that...

Last night at the ballet was the first time I've ever met her. I guess I figured you'd know more about her than I do.

I think Amber said something about her working in the astronomy wing. I think that's what she said anyway. She seemed a little flustered trying to explain her dating preferences so it was kinda hard to make out a lot of what she said.

But I guess if at some point you have a chance to make it to the planetarium...I don't think you can miss it!

I may have to check out the planetarium in my off time too at some point. Never been much into astronomy, but considering Luna is my preferred princess and all...I don't know, could be interesting.

What exactly is your field. I mean, I know you're a dream walker and you go on adventures. But what's your degree in? What did you want to be when you were a little foal dreaming about what to be when he grew up? What would you do if you could do anything at all in the world?

Celestia or Luna?

[Night Cap]​
"I don't have any degrees. I just couldn't stand being in classrooms. My teachers never asked questions they didn't know the answers to. Something about that bugged me. Curious, isn't it? They also never taught us to ask questions they didn't know the answers to. Something about it I just couldn't stand. It made me resent academia. They seemed to think that to know the answers to the questions is to be educated, and to have further questions is to be ignorant. Then when I looked out into the night sky, as I did every night, I realized they've got it exactly backwards."

Maple watched as the group took interest in the exhibit, Light Fantastic -was radiant while one of the display's spell made her appear crystalline. Seeing this some of the others from the group came to see as well.

Maple was only partly paying attention, as her ears started hearing what seemed to be a lot of activity off in the direction of the Planetarium.

As Snowy seems to be satisfied and asked no further questions, Rhapsody was glad to let the subject drop with a nod to acknowledge his apology. "I suppose it is alright, but It's not something I particularly like talking about." She says before getting back to her work, not really sure what to go with this conversation now either.

While Maplejack heard something from the general direction of the planetarium, she couldn't make out any details due to the distance. However, she did see one of the janitors flying down the hall. It was a red pegasus who waved at Light Fantastic before continuing on.

Back to Ready Quills office. Odd though, it does seem to be taking more time getting there from the editing bays than it did the other way around.

I'm figuring it's about lunch time if you want to make a slight detour. I keep a stash of oat bars in the projection booth, amazingly filling if you want one. We can take a couple and go to the lounge.

Static pauses mid-stride. Okay, here's a question for you. Point blank, you seem to be more alone than I am. I mean, I'm a loner, but that was more or less by choice. You...you seem almost desperate to fit in somewhere...anywhere.

Who do you consider your friends? Who would you be willing to sacrifice everything for?

Just then, Ready Quill walked down the hall, "I-guess-you-finished-working-on-the-movie-reel-or-at-least-the-amount-that-could-be-done-on-your-own. Already-turn-in-your-footage-or-still-have-it-available?"

Maple moved back into the exhibit from the hallway as the red pegasus flew past her.

"Whatever it is down there I guess we'll get to it eventually." Maple smiled the tour was going well.

She lifted a hoof and checked her watch... oh yes still plenty of time for them to spend here. When everyone was done seeing how they would look as Crystal ponies. they could move over to the mock jousting display, pet the tiny ewe plushies, maybe try their luck with the -noise reduction Flugelhorns. Or Maple giggled, they could try some of the crystal berry sweets.

As if on command a little cart full of them came out from behind one of the displays, being pushed by an earth pony staff member from the concession stand.

"Ohmahgosh!" was all Maple could say as she saw the tour group notice the cart as well.

Yeah, I really don't understand what got into those two. I mean, I don't know Rhapsody well enough to comment on her part of it, but Amber...she surprised me...and not entirely in a good way.

As for growing up...well, I was all too glad to grow up if it meant getting out of the old neighborhood...away from all the ponies I went to school with.

Static cuts the conversation short as Ready Quill comes down the hall.

It's already been turned in. I feel pretty confident about it. The whole third reel had to be dropped, but there was still plenty to make for a decent length documentary. I was just bringing the equipment back to your office.

"You-make-good-time-and-that's-certainly-good. How's-the-equipment-holding-up-so-far? Just-making-sure-the-third-reel-was-discarded-due-to-'content'-as-opposed-to-something-like-damage."

Oh no, sir. Nothing like that. You definitely build things to last it would seem.

Yeah, the third reel was where...our team...had to step in. In fact, It's right here with me. I didn't think you'd want something like that in with the normal editing room floor stuff.

Night Cap here seems to be an eager learner, too.

"We-try-to-get-and-be-the-best. The morning-was-reserved-for-special-projects. I'd-like-to-know-if-you-two-had-anything-planned-like-a-break-before-I-moved-you-to-the-next-task."

Well, Night Cap did skip breakfast and I was getting kinda hungry myself. If I could just drop by the projection room, I have a stash of oat bars. Shouldn't take more than a couple minutes and we could just eat them on the way to wherever we're going. He turned to Night Cap. If you don't mind eating and working at the same time, that is.

"It'll-be-work-within-the-department-so-take-your-break-first-then-come-to-my-office."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Will do sir!

Static leads Night Cap to the projection room. He knocks quietly and enters the booth, going straight for his stash. Sorry to interrupt like this. I just needed a couple things. He takes a few bars from his stash: one for himself, one for Night Cap and one for the pony they just interrupted.

He's on his way out again when he notices the Breezie reel stuck in the wrong place again. He shakes his head and places it where it's supposed to go. Sorry again for the interruption.

Static leads Night Cap to the lounge area. He looks around as he gets there.

You know, I've been working here a couple months...I've never been in the employee lounge before. He takes a look at the coffee. It's...probably a few hours cold. But I guess coffee's coffee. He takes a cup and tastes. Hey! Still hot. And several times better than what I make for myself. I better be careful, I might actually start to like this! He takes a long gulp of the coffee and all the stress seems to flow off of him in one huge satisfied sigh. Almost makes me forget how much I miss cider...almost. He takes a look at Night Cap. Do try to control yourself, though. I've seen how excitable you can get without coffee. I'm not sure I'd survive seeing you totally wired.

After a stretch of awkward silence and another ladder repositioning, Snowy Skies speaks up again "Do you like musicals?"

As the tour group turned towards the cart, suddenly a stallion rushed between it and the tour group. He began taking many photos of Light Fantastic with an occasional few of the other dancers.

Amber smiled slightly at Ms. Flint's indirect compliment but was too interested in the contents of the crate to make any further comment. She didn't speak at first and looked closely over the exposed square, looking closely at the etchings and thinking fast to try and recognize anything in the style of the worksponyship, anything it might remind her of. Her horn glowed as she gave the square a slight nudge, not yet lifting it out of the crate.

"Delivered without explanation or paperwork, ma'am? By whom? Do we know anything about where they were found?"

Perhaps the most telling piece of information Amber Spark received from examining the metallic pieces was the lack thereof. They didn't match up with anything she had seen with any other civilization. However, they weren't totally silent as they did reveal other tantalizingly intellectual whispers. They were definitely mechanical. One of the squares seemed to have subtle gears and many of them looked like they just might fit together like a puzzle. The rocky substance covering the squares looked like it might be volcanic from Amber's experience with other artifacts. "They were found in an abandoned warehouse. It's unknown whether these were supposed to be shipped to a museum and just never got labeled or if some miscreant was going to try to sell them. Things like this are why we pride good documentation."

I'm used to real bottom shelf type stuff. Make a pot, it can last two, three days. Warm it up and it's as good as it was the first day. Not saying it's good on that third day...just that it wasn't that good to start with.

But if my talk with accounting yesterday is anything to go by, I may want to see about upgrading. This is actually pretty good.

It seems kind of ironic, a dream walker in love with coffee, though. I'd figure if I had an ability like that, I'd never want to wake up. Is it really that unpleasent?

Light Fantastic caught the janitor's wave out of the corner of her eye. She turned to the janitor and returned the wave with a smile.

Suddenly, she and her fellow dancers were blinded by the light of the camera taking stallion.

"Excuse me," she said, "It's a lot nicer to ask a pony first before taking pictures."

The stallion snapped another photo, than looked at Light Fantastic in confusion, "But...you're a star. Don't you like having your picture taken?"

Amber's excitement mounted as she realized that she didn't have any idea what to make of the squares, either. She lifted one of the more exposed squares and inspected the fine work and hidden mechanisms. She couldn't help thinking of Night Cap and his "other worlds" - but who indeed needed to create other worlds when mysteries like this existed waiting to be found in this one? It was only with the gradual dissipation of her shock that she retrieved her notebook and began taking down some rough outlines.

"Yes, ma'am, that is quite unfortunate," she said. "Knowing just a bit about where they were found would give us some steps toward identifying what they might be. To think of the poor things waiting it out in a warehouse somewhere. Dear me." Amber gave a gentle, testing rub against one edge of the apparently volcanic rock. "This stone may be the only clue we have of their original location, then. I wonder, could they have actually been submerged into molten - but what sort of magic could possibly protect them from -" Amber's horn had begun to develop a small, sputtering charge as she spoke. "They must fit together into some sort of machine, or perhaps they're meant for some other larger apparatus - they look as if they should fit together like tiles -"

Amber stepped back from the crate and straightened her glasses with a hoof. "I believe we should photograph them in their present state, before we make any attempt to remove them from the stone matrix. And of course we will need to identify the stone itself - it may be as important to understanding where these objects came from as the tiles themselves. If you'll have me, ma'am, I can begin the analysis immediately, as soon as the crate can be moved to the lab."

Not entirely consciously, Amber let out a squealing whinny.

"Excuse me sir, you seem to be confused about what we have on display at this exhibit." Maple says as she causally moves between the camera pony and Light Fantastic. It was true that Maple was not even close to being as big as the average pegasus pony, but with her wings stretched out she could do a decent job blocking the continuing onslaught of camera flashes from hitting the group in the face, and maybe fill a few shots with fluffy white feathers.

Maple continued to walk toward the pony with the camera effectively backing him out of the exhibit. "I am sorry about this everypony, let me just have a word with this fine fellow out side and please enjoy the Crystal berry sweets." Maple had the pony out into the hall and around the corner from the entrance to the exhibit before she rested her wings and spoke to him.

"You sir are being a big rump right now."

Steel Flint smiled, "I figured this would catch your interest. Well, you're in charge. I can easily carry the crate to the lab so you can get started right away."

*twitcha twitch*

"Three days? How much coffee is that each day? One sip?"

Well, a full pot makes 10 cups...so 3 1/3 cups per day. Trust me, if you ever tasted that swill, you'd understand that's plenty.

"Without coffee I couldn't wake up. Imagine never having a single moment of unconsciousness, waking or sleeping."

I don't know. Sometimes I feel like if it gives me a weapon to fight back against the nightmares, it might be worth it.

There's different sized pots. I find making enough coffee for three days in advance saves time. Sure it leaves you drinking cold coffee, buy hey, it's bottom shelf swill anyway.

This stuff on the other hand...he takes another long drink of the coffee...I may just have to make this stuff right!

He sips some more.

I guess there's a choice to be made there. Is it better to have normal nightmares that your powerless against, or really wicked nightmares, but at least you can fight back?

Is it too much to ask for nice dreams?
Static sighed. If you had a choice, if you could give up your dreamwalking powers, would you?

Static takes another gulp.

You know, if you told me two days ago that I'd be fighting an intercontinental crime syndicate like COIN, or a summoned queen of a long dead civilization...I'd have thought you were crazy.

And every time right before a fight, I've been scared to the point of being almost paralyzed.

But once I'm in the fight, in that moment...something happens. It's hard to describe. I feel...

Static takes a deep breath.

Okay, yeah! Tell me about it. It's sounds scary. But if I can handle dream walking, at some point maybe I can handle those fears. Who knows? I may just wind up stronger for it.

Rhapsody Looks up after a moment and nods. "Yeah. There are some really good ones. But I don't get out to see a lot of them."

Snowy Skies visibly perks up. He hadn't talked to another pony about musicals in...well, forever. "They are hard to find, aren't they? What are your favorites?" He asks, trying very hard to keep his excitement in check and, to his surprise, succeeding.

"Thank you Maple." Silky Double-Time leaned over to Light Fantastic, "Wow, if only we had someone like her traveling with the ballet company."

"Thank you very much for the kind thought, but I can't very well start thinking about a new job on my very first day working here." Maple smiled, big and bright... working with such fun and happy ponies doing something they loved to do, and they also traveled a great deal -that would help with her other problem. no-no no, Here was fun too, and she hadn't even had a chance to say hello again to Mr. Signal yet.

"Speaking of, if everypony has finished enjoying this exhibit for now. We could certainly continue on with the tour, were there any questions?"

While none of the dancers spoke up, there was a muffled clatter farther down the exhibit. It seemed to come from the sound dampened fluglehorn area. A filly was frantically trying to shake awake a unicorn mare who was unconscious among the clattered instruments.

"Oh my goodness, I don't suppose anypony here has medical knowledge?" Maple asked as she moved swiftly down to that area of the exhibit.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"It's downright terrifying. But you seem like a good candidate. The first step is that you need to not let your nightmares wake you up. When you're facing the blackest depths of your mind, you need to run towards them, not away."

That sounds...difficult...almost impossible. But, something tells me I'm going to have plenty of opportunities to try.

The pair finished their oat bars and got one last cup of coffee to take with them.

We should probably get back to Ready Quill. Can't wait to see what project he has in store for us.

Light Fantastic grinned at Silky.

"No kidding, Silky," she said, "It would save us a lot of headaches."

She then heard Maple calling for medical assistance.

"I have some medical knowledge," she suggested.

Light Fantastic could easily see that while there was certainly nothing broken or bleeding on the mare, she did have some swelling building up at the base of her horn.

"Hmm," said Light Fantastic, "This is strange. Let's see what we can find."

Maple looks on unable to do anything but give a supportive smile

Spoiler
Zam and Sailor Unicorn

Seeing that the Filly was still very upset, Maple produced the Crystal berry sweet from her saddle bag and handed it over to the young girl. Distracting her long enough for Maple to ask "What happened?"

It seemed something, presumably a fluglehorn, hit the mare in the head and knocked her out. Didn't look major and would probably be fine with an ice pack and a few minutes so she would come to. Of course, a little magic might help things along...

The filly gratefully held the sweet with her wobbly magic,
"One of the horns was caught on the stand. Sometimes mommy gets angry at things so she pulled really hard with her magic and made angry faces. Then the stand went flying and she fell down."

Perhaps because of the pomp and reverence of the supposed Sword of Shining Dark's delivery two nights before, or even the ballet last night, Amber had been put into mind of diligent porters and processional deliveries. "Oh, no, ma'am, that's not necessary, I can take it with me," she said, suddenly realizing the odd favor she seemed to be asking. "I'll head down right away." She lifted the crate with her magic and headed toward the door.

"Oh Sweety come here." Maple wraps a wing around the the little filly...who isn't really all that little next to Maple. Give her a few seasons and she'd sprout up. "Your mom is going to be okay." Maple fished into her Saddle bag with her other wing and pulled out one of her toffees. "When she wakes up, we can give her this and maybe she wont make any more of those faces for a while."

I'll give try and work at it tonight. Luna knows I'm more than likely going to have the opportunity.

They arrive at Ready Quills office.

Ready Quill welcomed Static Signal and Night Cap back into his office. He waved a hoof at a box of movie reels, "Alright-here's-the-job. Got-in-a-bunch-of-donated-films. Most-are-a-combination-of-old-or-poorly-labeled-and-I-want-you-to-go-through-them-to-label-them-or-mark-them-for-restoration. There's-a-break-coming-up-for-scheduled-movies-in-the-theater-itself-so-you'll-have-time-and-space-for-it. Most-seem-to-be-short-with-a-ton-of-blank-space-so-the-longest-one-is-probably-fifteen-minutes."

Statics heart sank, though he didn't let it show. He'd gone from actually creating something to cataloging. And of course they were old films and films that nopony even bothered to keep labeled, so you just knew they were really scraping the bottom of the barrel here. And he and Night Cap were going to go through them all.

Static nodded Night Cap towards the theatre. Let's get started, he said, trying to sound as enthused as possible around Ready Quill. Once they were out in the hallway out of earshot of Ready Quill, however, he leaned over and whispered to Night Cap. Be glad we just loaded up on coffee!

When they got to the theatre, the pony who had been running the movies was already gone.

Static looked the workspace over. OH COME ON! he blurted out as he went over to put the breezie film back where it belonged. Who in Equestria honestly thinks Breezies have anything to do with aquatics? That's just...gah! He sighed as he placed the film back in Entomology for the second time that day.

They had several hours before the next scheduled movie. Static took out the first unmarked reel and got it going.

He only needed to see the title to know he was in for a lot of pain. "The Mare on the Moon." On the surface, it seemed like this would be one movie Static might be interested in.

But no. This one was made before Luna's return. As such it was wrought with wrong information. It wasn't even wrong information like some of his other movies. Those other movies were information that had been disproved, sure.

But the one he saw now, the entire basis of it was rooted in information everypony today knew was false.

An outside usurper who tried to take the throne of Celestia's ancestor? A cannibalistic mare who would take any child who didn't give her candy? They even left out the entire prophecy!

Static scrawled out two labels for the reel. One that had the title and another with random notes.

[The Mare on the Moon: The True Story of the Demonic Usurper] [Rife with outdated information and every foal old enough to form coherent thoughts would know it. Only play this movie if you want the Keep to become a laughing stock. Only use for it would be to make another movie to show just how wrong our assumptions used to be.]

Static picked out the next movie and started it going. Oh lovely!

Before them was a film "The Origin of Ponies" about how all species of pony: earth, pegasus and unicorn all evolved from one super species of pony. It wasn't an alicorn...not really. And the movie went into great detail about why this super species wasn't an alicorn. Why was it that Pegasi got the flying, unicorns got the magic and the earth ponies got nothing. Static grunted and leaned over to Night Cap. That wasn't offensive at all!

It then went into great detail about how the different species separated into different habitats. The Earth Ponies rolled around in the dirt. The Pegasi lived their lives with their heads in the clouds. The unicorns went about the very important work of controlling the weather.

Gee, I wonder what species the director was! Static sighed as he turned to Night Cap. I don't know...what would you label this one as?

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The lab was small, squarish room, two fastidiously clean work desks stretching along one side and a third standing in the center. The far wall was lined by filing cabinets, each drawer labeled and indexed, with spare boxes and trays stacked at odd angles above. Brass lamps on swiveling arms over the desks provided most of the illumination. Amber set down the crate, gently, at one end of the center desk, and then headed to an equipment cabinet at the other end of the room, unlocking it and swinging it open with her magic and quickly drawing out the camera rig and a box of negative plates. She carefully set down a tray and drew out a checkered scale stick - it occurred to her that nopony had ever told her what they were actually called - and prepped the camera, lowering its diffuser fabric over its frame, so that it resembled a tiny white tent with a bellows sticking out of the top like a fat chimney.

Turning back to the box, she lifted out the partially exposed tile, looking at it closely again as she placed it under the camera, carefully aligning it, then clicked the shutter plunger on its cable (intended for ponies other than unicorns, who might nudge the camera in holding the shutter open,) counting seconds. She turned the tile over, replaced the negative plate, and repeated the process, then settled the tile into a waiting tray and returned to the crate for the next.

Soon, Amber was assigning numbers to each of the tiles in their trays, taking notes of their conditions and preservation onto a clipboard, in slips meant to be filed with the tiles. She added the acquisition number to the index, along with the tray number range.

Amber thought to herself repeatedly that there simply could not be a more exciting task in Equestria. And she hadn't even opened the mineral identification index yet.

Light Fantastic sighed in relief that the injury wasn't all that serious.

"Now, let's see if we can prevent what could be a really nasty headache," she said.

With a soft soothing glow, Light Fantastic cast an aura around the mare's head and the bump receded. Shaking off some dizziness, she opened her eyes and looked around, "Wow, don't know my own strength. Guess the doctor already left?"

Static nodded. I don't know where Mr. Quill got these films. He took out two more labels. On one [The Origin of Ponies]. On the other [Possibly racially insensitive. Offensive to all but unicorns. May want to look into boycotting this director entirely]. Well, good news is, after all that, things can only get better.

Static picked out another one and started it running.

A field of flowers filled the screen. The video looked like it had been stored in a damp basement or something. Static wrote down "restoration needed" on the label. An extremely tiny pony with insect like wings appeared on screen. Huh! I don't think I've ever seen one of those before. I wonder what...The title "The Evolution of Breezies"...oh you have got to be bucking kidding me!!!!

Maple let the young pony go to her mother. Seeing her smile made Maple smile.

Through her cataloging, Amber Spark discovered that it was a total of forty eight squares altogether. While all of them had the rocky substance caked on, none seemed to be dented or missing obvious edges. Upon lifting her book, there were any number of perfectly logical explanations for what this substance might be.

Static sighed. Yeah, it's going to need some restoration. Whoever owned it last didn't know how to take care of it very well, he noted, seeing some film creases, faded colors and dust scratches. But you'd be surprised what can be done as far as touching film up. And so far, believe it or not, this is shaping up to be the best one so far. Mind numbingly boring, but basically unoffensive. This actually goes in the runnable stack...it grieves me to say.

Static loaded another reel. A loud pop and crackle went over the speakers as the camera panned up while going in and out of focus.

Yikes! Not a good start.

Then a deep male voice spoke from off the frame of the camera. "Now you swear nopony's going to see this!?"

An exasperated sigh from somepony else, presumably the camerapony, replied. "This is not going into the documentary. I promise." There was a pause. "It's a documentary on volcanic islands. Why would I put this in there?"

With a sigh, the first pony walked on screen dressed up like Daring Do. With a painfully fake falsetto voice, he struck a heroic pose. "Surrender, Ahuizotl! You can not defeat me. For good shall always triumph evil and all...it's...evilness." The pony winced and took off the hat. "That was bad."

"Yeah, that was definitely bad," the camerapony agreed. "Try again?"

"No! This is stupid. Just a thought, but if your documentary's supposed to be about volcanic islands, shouldn't you be getting footage of volcanic islands."

The camera panned down getting a full shot of grass. "Let's go get a cider."

The film cut off there.

Well...that was interesting. I'm not quite sure how to file that one.

"You know... there are certain flaws in this film."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Amber Spark discovered that the rocky substance seemed like a most similar match to cooled lava from Mount Kilaneigha. However, there were tiny veins of some other substance that didn't seem to quite match.

Meanwhile, Static Signal discovered a small reel sealed tightly in a faded yellow tin.

Static reaches for the small reel.

Yeah, Daring Do seemed really out of character there. Not...that I've read any of the books...because I haven't...because those are totally for eggheads...which I'm not.

I've read them all.
Library cards are free? What can I say?

He starts the mystery reel rolling.

As Static Signal loaded the reel, he could see that it was very short from how little film was on it. It might not even be three minutes long if one ignored the buffer at the beginning and end. It was very brittle and pungent. There was something very distinctly old about it. This was confirmed by the marker at the beginning noting a spot for a live orchestra to play as opposed to having the sound with the film itself. First there was a pre-title card stating 'REENACTMENTS - NOT ACTUAL FOOTAGE' with text indicating this was a test copy. That was followed by the actual title card, 'THE ROYAL LUNAR GUARD'. The faded sepia toned footage showed what was supposed to be Princess Luna. While the effects were far worse than the previous film about the princess Static Signal and Night Cap watched, it was obviously just a really tall earth pony with a fake horn and wings with star shaped barrettes in her hair, the attempt was far more dignified with her making a motion to raise a prop moon similar to popular depictions of how Princess Celestia raises the sun during the Summer Sun Festival. There was a rough cut to several ponies in armor standing in front of the now standing "Princess" and the armor looked like it might be some sort of training armor from the actual royal guard. 'LED MANY FOREIGN JOURNIES' flashed very briefly and was followed by another narration card 'INCLUDED NAVIGATOR NIGHTSHINE'. It showed an earth pony mare holding what was presumably a compass. 'AND LED BY BLACK NIGH...' Static Signal and Night Cap saw that the old brittle film began to warp and melt in the projector, suddenly snapping and leaving just the white of the projector light.

Static moved into action quickly, saving what film he could from the projector and placing it gingerly in the can.

He laid the can and film down on the table.

We better tell Ready Quill about this, Static told Night Cap. I don't think that film will survive another run through a projector. We need to tell him everything we saw and see if any of that can be saved.

Static practically pushed Night Cap out of the projectors booth and locked the door behind him. He rushed to Ready Quills office and knocked.

Ready Quill opened his office door, "Yes?"

There's-something-you-need-to-see-in-the-projection-booth. It-was-a-small-film-that-was-very-very-old. We-played-it-and-it-was-a-silent-film-that-showed-what-looked-like-was-supposed-to-be-Luna-raising-the-moon-and-they-were-on-some-kind-of-journey-with-a-navagator-named-Nightshine-and-someone-with-a-compass-named-Black-Night-but-the-film-was-fragile-and-started-melting-in-the-projector. We-tried-to-save-what-we-could-but-we-need-you-to-help-see-if-any-of-it-can-be-saved-and-transferred-over-to-a-stronger-film-stock.

This-is-an-amazing-find. It's-like-the-oldest-film-I've-ever-seen. It-needs-preserved-right-this-way!

Static started in a dead sprint back to the projection booth, not even looking back to see if anypony was following.

Ready Quill followed behind Static Signal. Rather gingerly examining the reel and looking over the canister, he sat down with a look of bewilderment on his face,
"I-think-this-just-might-belong-to-the-royal-archives."

Ready Quill took several deep breaths,
"I-think... I-think-that-the-non-melted-parts-can-be-saved-but-we'll-need-to-be-extra-careful. I'm-more-concerned-by-the-fact-that-we-even-HAVE-this. I-think-I'll-need-to-speak-with-the-Chief-Director. For-the-moment-just-continue-looking-through-the-rest-as-I-get-this-sorted-out. You'll-definitely-get-credit-for-the-find-though."

Recording her meager and contradictory findings about the stone with a sigh, Amber fetched an empty tray to work over and began picking away at the encrustment on the same tile with the small chisel and hammer, taking great care not to scuff the surface of the tile itself, puffing away the dust with a tiny bellows. If she could fully expose the tile, perhaps she could begin to experiment with its hidden mechanism. She couldn't help thinking of Fell le Marshland's infamous Configuration Cube toys, but of course, this was far older and much less likely to involve conjuring any mysterious creatures with Faustian bargains to peddle. And the craftsponyship of the tile, now that her focus was not entirely on the stone, was truly magnificent.

Static was buzzed with energy as Ready Quill left the booth to talk with the Director. We darted over to a desk, getting two pads of paper and two quills. He handed one of each over to Night Cap.

We'll get to more of the reels in a second. But first...I'm sure they'll be able to save some of that reel. But just in case, we should document as much as we remember. Write down absolutely everything you remember about that reel. The actresses, the costumes, the effects...everything.

For a reel that only took 3 minutes to watch, it took Static a good 20 minutes and 2 pads of paper to get down everything he could think of. He handed pads over to Night Cap whenever he needed more. When Night Cap was also done, he set the notes aside in a safe place and went for another reel.

Oh wow! I never thought I'd be a part of something this big before. If they can restore any of that film...and you were here too. We both found that reel. This is huge. I'm still so buzzed with energy. I don't think I'll ever need coffee again. I'll never be able to sleep again.

Static started the next reel. "Volcanic Islands and How They're Formed." Static grabs a hold of his cup of coffee. Empty...pony feathers!

As the narrator starts talking, Static's glad he didn't have any coffee. He surely would've sputtered it all over the place. Recognize the director?

Static continues to watch, just waiting for a cameo appearance from Daring Do. He couldn't help but think the "volcanic rock" looked more like charcoal briquettes used on outdoor grilles. But he was impressed when he actually saw some fire. The fact that this pony would risk life and limb to get footage of actual burning lav...aaaaaand it pulled out to charcoal on a grill. You...you're kidding me, right?

Of course it was just used as an illustration to make a bigger point. The film moved on to actual lava flow and how slowly over time...decades upon decades...the lava formed into islands. And they filmed it in real time.

"Think about how many tens of jangles they spent making this."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Static loaded the next film..."Daring Do: A Retrospective." Static perked up.

Oh! Oh, oh, ooooooh! Night, I remember this event. A.K. Yearling was making the rounds to promote her new book..."Daring Do and the Rainbow of Darkness." As a museum employee, I got an autographed advanced copy.

There was supposed to be a documentary to go along with the event. It was supposedly completed and everything, but the director recalled all the reels at the last minute. Nopony ever knew why. It ruined his career. We may be the only two ponies to ever see this.

It started out harmlessly enough. A brief rundown of the books that came before, a bio of A.K. Yearling...and...cosplay.

A pony walked on screen dressed up like Daring Do. With a painfully fake falsetto voice, he struck a heroic pose. "Surrender, Ahuizotl! You can not defeat me. For good shall always triumph over evil and all...it's...evilness."

Static cringed and dug into hi seat. Oh...snap!

"Static, you know we have to find these guys now."

As Amber Spark looked over the square, it had several small notches on the edges, presumably so it could connect to other parts. The parts made of rose gold had a small bit of reflectivity to them that hid their previous state of coverage. The white alabaster etchings made up much less of the square's surface area and contrasted by having a sheen somewhere between wax and satin.

"Actually ma'am, it was this fine upstanding pony who healed you."
Maple says, smiling and pointing with her wings (for emphasis) at Light Fantastic.

The mare scrunched her snout and looked at Light Fantastic in disbelief, "You? But you're just a dancer. Wouldn't being a doctor require going to colle..." Suddenly, the filly hugged Light Fantastic's legs, "Thank you for helping my mommy, ma'am."

Light Fantastic gave the mare a wry grin.

"Matter of fact, ma'am, I did major in medical magic during my time at Princess Celestia's school," she said, "Dancing is just my chosen career."

She knelt down and returned the little filly's hug.

"You're very welcome," she said.

Yeah, definitely, Static agreed. He payed close attention to the credits. Directed by Cloud D. Signal.

Static's eyes narrowed. That's impossible! he hissed through clenched teeth.

He threaded the previous reel and shuttled to the credits. Cloud D. Signal.

I take it back. These guys never need to be found.

Static loaded the next reel in line, apparently shutting off any chance of continuing the conversation.

"Bushwoolies: Fact or Fiction." Oh this ought to be good!

Hand puppets pupped on the screen with goofy voices. This one was definitely aimed at kids. Nopony past their foal years would ever believe in such a ridiculous thing as bushwoolies. Still, the film went to great lengths to explain why they not only could have existed at some point, but in fact undeniably still exist today.

I didn't realize the museum still ran fiction!

The mare's eyes went wide and her jaw dropped, "Princess Celestia's school? I...I didn't know. I uh...I must be going." The mare backed out of the exhibit hall, using her magic to drag her foal along. The filly's wobbly magic hovered the toffee in front of Light Fantastic as a sign of thanks. Silky Double-Time huffed as the mare was out of sight, "See, if she was some sort of multiheaded monster you totally could have knocked her out for that. Oh well. Guess we better help pick these fluglehorns up."

Static notes Night Cap looking at his hooves. I know, right? How do those things even work?

Well, this one seems in good shape. Static says, writing up the title and making other notes.

Static puts on the next reel. It was another Night Mare Moon film. It's odd. Static noted. The Mare in the Moon documentary makes no mention of Night Mare Moon...though it does mention legends undeniably tied to her. Now we have a Night Mare Moon film that seems to make no mention of The Mare in the Moon.

The film was also rife with what everypony today knows is inaccurate. Again, this would have to go in the unrunnable pile. Still, Static took took another look at the Mare in the Moon reel and put it with this new reel in a separate pile.

Tell me what you think, Night. With everything we know about Luna today, how would you like to co-create with me, start to finish, a new documentary that tells about everything we thought we knew about Luna, Nightmare Moon and the Mare in the Moon and then compare it with what we know now? We can run the idea by Ready Quill. Heck, maybe even that old film he's trying to save right now may give us something to use.

Light Fantastic shouted a 'thank you' to the filly as her mother took her away. She gave a short laugh at Silky's comment.

"It really is a shame, isn't it?" she said, "This is quite a mess, isn't it?"

She began to use her magic to levitate the fluglehorns back to their appropriate locations.

"It's turned out to be quite the interesting day, hasn't it?"

"Oh, and it really only has just started."
Maple grins as she puts 4 horns back in place. One for each hoof and wing.

We'd only submit it to the Keep for approval. If they feel it necessary, then they'd be the ones to send it to Canterlot.

But if those other two reels are anything to go by, freedom of speech still exists here. Besides, you know I wouldn't do anything to offend Luna. We can keep it respectful.

Fact is, Nightmare Moon happened. I think if we tell the truth, keep it respectful, show her good side along with the bad, show how she ultimately overcame...I would hope we could make something that would even make her look good...something that we could be proud to show her...maybe even something she'd be grateful for.

Once the remaining horns were replaced... Much more then Maple felt necessary, unless this was a much smaller tour group then she would normally be expected to handle. That thought doubled her already huge smile. Weather patterns being what they are, the Manehatten branch didn't have an integrated planetarium, the associated center was on the nearest hill -so Maple was looking forward to the next stop as much for herself as she was in showing it to this wonderful group of Ponies.

"Well that was certainly an unexpected bit of excitement, on behalf of this humble guide- if not the entire Keep, thank you for your indispensable aid in this situation Miss Light Fantastic. If there are Questions about this exhibit I would ask you to kindly make them brief as we should be moving on at this point."

"You're very welcome," said Light Fantastic.

She turned to Silky and the other dancers.

"And now we hope that we don't have any more adventures today," she said.

"I do hope so as well, all right then everypony please follow me."
Maple started out the door and continued down the hall toward the Planetarium.

Spoiler
Sailor Unicorn, Zam

Top Bottom