I Survived The Ice-pocalypse!

Guardian Prime

Veteran Allsparker
Citizen
I've never seen something like this in my city before... like, ever.

It was the morning of Saturday, January 13th. Freezing rain was coming down and Ice started forming, consuming everything in sight.

By about 5:00 p.m. the same day, small branches and limbs started dropping off trees in the area as the ice continued to cover and consume. By nightfall, larger limbs and branches were being torn from nearly every tree in the city.

It got worse. By midnight, I heard trees being ripped in half, one after the other almost nonstop. Transformers were exploding all over town, lighting up the night sky in bright blue flashes. (Don't worry; no Cybertronians were harmed during this.) Then, at 1:30 a.m. Sunday, all went dark. Everyone lost power in my neighborhood, surrounding areas, and nearly the entire city. The chaos continued through the night. I didn't sleep at all.

Trees and limbs continued to fall in waves for 3 days as spurts of freezing rain added more weight to them. By late Tuesday, January 16th, a State of Emergency was declared for our city and all of Lane County. The ice storm caused widespread power outages, road closures, and damage to property throughout the City.

By the next day, Wednesday, the storm had finally stopped and the ice began to slowly melt. Power was slowly being restored to the city, piece by piece. My street finally got power late Saturday evening, January 20th. We were without power and heat for an entire week.

No internet for that whole time, either. Internet was finally restored late yesterday on the 22nd. I have to say; you don't realize just how important of a tool the internet is until you've lost access to it for over a week. That sucked.

It's a mess around here. Cleanup is going to take ages.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'm in central Illinois. We had a decent amount of freezing rain this week, nothing crazy though. But about 15 years ago we had one very similar to what you're describing. Some people didn't have power for around 6 weeks due to the state of the power lines after all of that. Totally crazy experience.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
Glad you're okay. Hesitant to click "Like" since being caught in hazardous weather obviously isn't enjoyable.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Yikes! I'm glad you're ok.

I still remember a Big Flood we had years ago in RI. I got stuck in a mall parking lot on my way back from work, couldn't find a road home that wasn't closed even w/ GPS (it hadn't updated w/ the closed roads yet). TMM had to find me, then I followed his car a loooong way around. We also lost power for about a week. I was bringing our phones in to work to charge them, and we took showers at our in-laws (our water has an electric powered heater). Lots of downed branches and closed roads for awhile. The mall I was at also got flooded, they had to close and gut/repair the place for awhile. Fun times!

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Happy to hear you came through okay man. Cleanup in the spring will be a bitch, I remember the ice storm of '98, and I was chipping the driveway out till may.

Top Bottom