Help: What should I buy?

What TF should I buy with $40 Amazon Credit

• Total voters

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
So I've ended up with about $40 Amazon Credit from the Holidays this year to spend as I choose.

Since I didn't get much Transformers-wise this year (one very large thing that's not regular line and two of the Renegade tabletop RPG books) that's what I want to spend it on.

But what to buy... It's not gonna snag me a SS Magnus or Menasor and the Stunticons I'm missing sadly. Out of what's left my top choices are:

* United Chase - Pros: Want him a lot. Cons: He's from a new line just hitting retail and will likely be easy to get later at retail if I wait.

* Trashmaster - Pros: Have all the other "Junkion Cadets" so he completes the set. Cons: there seem to be a lot of him at Targets around here right now, might go on clearance if I wait.

* Unite Thundertron - Pros: Really want him a lot. Cons: Same as Chase.

* Studio Series 86 Ratchet - Pros: Best Ratchet. Fills a major character spot on my 84 shelf so is "Collection Inportant." Maybe harder to get more expensive toy in the future If I don't grab it now. Cons: Just another Ratchet incrementally better than the one on my shelf now. Not super exciting to me, feels like a "necessary" purchase, not a "fun" one. Also I'd probably have to wait till I get paid next week as he comes in just over $40 on Amazon (vs $35 srp I believe).

* Velocitron Override - Pros: Available Cheep, New Mold I didn't get. Rare Lady bot. Cons: My collection is mostly G1 focused nowadays just for budgetary reasons.

So any advice or other suggestions?

ZacWilliam, there are Classified, Legends, Black and MotU figures I'd like too, but I kinda want to up my holiday TF haul the most.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Of those choices, I'd go with Override based purely on availability. It's the oldest figure of those choices and is no longer in stores. Meanwhile, Trashmaster and Ratchet are both easy to find in stores right now (Trashmaster mainly at Target, Ratchet mainly at Walmart), while Chase and Thundertron are both only just starting to get released, so there will be plenty of opportunities for you to get each of them. But Override? If you haven't already gotten her by now, do so while you still have the chance. She wasn't one to shelfwarm like Road Hauler did.

Last edited:

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Only one I have is Chase, and I am very satisfied with him.

I mean, I love what they've done with the character, even if he doesn't necessarily do anything exceptional. But he's basically everything I could want in an upgraded Rescue Bot.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
I'd just look at your shelf and ask what single item would best enhance your overall enjoyment of everything else. That way you're not getting just one item, you're giving everything else an upgrade by proximity. Adding to your setup, rather than starting a new one in other words. I've been doing that for financial reasons, and it's massively cut back on excess purchases sitting unused to gather dust.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
I didn't realize Override didn't go to clearance everywhere; I think we picked up 2 or 3 on significant clearance.

My vote went to Chase, just because I feel like supporting Chase might convince Hasbro to make more Rescue Bots and finish the team. Override is a great figure, and a good second choice, though.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Override is beautiful and probably won't be easy to find if you wait much longer.

Chase looks great but I doubt it will ever be that hard to find.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I think it should be pointed out that this poll is likely not so much "I will have one single chance to buy only one of these five figures in my entirely lifetime and now is that time! Which one should I get?" and more simply just "I want to buy these five figures, but which one should I buy first?"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Time is still a factor though. Override will become hard to find (or just expensive) before Chase. There's definitely some Rescue Bots kids who are now old enough to be on the internet, but they're going to be outnumbered by UT kids for a good while.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Time is still a factor though. Override will become hard to find (or just expensive) before Chase. There's definitely some Rescue Bots kids who are now old enough to be on the internet, but they're going to be outnumbered by UT kids for a good while.
Right, hence why I'm in the Override camp since the other four are either currently available in abundance or will be soon.

Sciflyer

Two arms and one smile
Citizen
Yeah, I am in the "get Override" camp here as well. SS86 Ratchet would be a close second though.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Gonna vote for my Junkion buddy. Your enjoyment of all things Junkion may differ from mine, though, so results may vary.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Out of those I would vote Ratchet. However, I am an old school G1 fan and pretty much just collecting that kind of stuff at the moment. So take my vote with that in mind.

Why not go with Magnus and pay the difference?
This is also a good option. Save up the $40 and get Ultra magnus next month.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Update: I have still not decided.

Ratchet and Overide are kinda in the lead for the things presented here and are kinda tied in my brain.

I do admit that while I originally wanted to buy something with it right away, cause I was jonesing for a new toy, sitting on the money for a little bit and then using it towards a more expensive toy has been slowly growing on me.

If I did that it'd be a choice between Motormaster and Studio Series Magnus.

Pros and Cons of them:

Motormaster - Pros: Missed out on him twice due to limited funds. I've heard good things. Cons: I only have Dragstrip so I'd kinda be committing to buying three more bots (at least one of which is pricey). Stunticons may be the combined team I'm least into having been my brothers when we were kids.

SS Ultra Magnus - Pros: Looks very good. Cons: I am pretty satisfied with the current Magnus on my shelf. He looks fine standing behind the 86 cast in the shadow of Haslab Unicron.

ZacWilliam, too many good options.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Maybe you should just write the names down on paper, fold them up, put them in a box, move them all around so that you don't know what is what and then pick one a random to get your answer!

Darth_Prime

Citizen
Ive got Motormaster and he is 100% the best combiner to date. The look is mostly there and the articulation is fantastic. But it was struggle to collect all of the limbs.

Magnus is Magnus. He looks fantastic. I missed out on the IDW looking one. I bought the Siege, wanted ER but didnt get it. Now I feel like I need this SS one. I still need to find SS Snarl too.

Top Bottom