Hasbr-uh-oh

Thylacine 2000

Citizen

PROVIDENCE — The international toy company Hasbro is vacating its Providence office and cutting its staff by 1,100 people, according to a memorandum sent to staff on Monday.

CEO Chris Cocks made the announcement, noting that the layoffs are "especially difficult during the holiday season."

This layoff is in addition to 800 jobs cut in January.

COVID, stuck-at-home purchasing levels were never going to be "the new normal," especially not during inflation. Still - sucks.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Yeah, I saw some folks over on the RPG side of things talking about the Q3 report a few weeks ago.

image.png

TF's apparently doing fine but a lot of other things are not.

They're basically using Wizards to try to keep the numbers looking good at this point:

image.png

If it wasn't for BG3's royalties or whatever the proper term is, it'd probably be even worse.

The Phazer

Citizen
Tf's not doing especially fine, just insulated by the release year of ROTB being pushed into this year when most of the costs were last year.

It's a pretty grim picture all round. The current product mix does not work, and Cock's increase ebit at all costs strategy has been a disaster that has backfired on multiple divisions. He's got to go.

I feel sorry for the staff affected at this time of year by inept management.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
More details on the positions being..."streamlined". Notably, several are high up on Wizards of the Coast, which Hasbro was singing the praises of just a few weeks ago ("record years" for both brands)

Among the losses are Mike Mearls (designer for D&D and MTG) as well as:
Among this list of confirmed layoffs is art director Breeanna Heiss, senior developmental editor Eytan Bernstein, producer and host Amy Dallen, game designer Dan Dillon, product manager Natalie Egan, senior communications manager Larry Frum, and Magic: The Gathering community manager Jessie Hill.
28 year veteran, head of publishing and licensing, Liz Schuh is reportedly also among those impacted, though not yet confirmed.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I won't be surprised if they try to bring some of these people back as contractors, particularly on the art side.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Seems like it's getting worse too - from what I'm hearing, it's apparently turned into rolling layoffs that's going to continue into 2024...

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
That was in the initial announcement. The 1,100 layoffs are rolling out over six months. They're not tossing everybody out immediately.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
AH, I thought it was already a done deal. That makes it even worse for morale though, especially given some of the people they've laid off means pretty much no one is safe.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It's better than telling 1,100 people to pack their bags and leave the building before the holidays, which is how a lot of news articles seemed to frame it. It's a much slower process.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
They really should be searching for a new CEO. The challenges aren't all Cocks' fault, but it's clear he doesn't have enough of a plan to deal with any of it.
I try and stay out of these sorts of discussions…but I have to agree here.
With Bob Chapek, he got dealt some bad cards for his run and he wasn’t able to handle them sufficiently. But he clearly seemed to have a passion for the company and I think he wasn’t the worst option. He was clearly in some of the “succession” plans which probably would have progressed fine…barring COVID and its ramifications.

Cocks? Unlike Brian Goldner he didn’t have a long term experience with traditional toys (which still makes up a major portion of Hasbro’s business). Chris Cocks comes from electronic gaming, a VASTLY different beasts than Hasbro’s fundamental pillars. And it’s pretty clear that there wasn’t a clear “plan” for succession. I think Goldner’s death was more abrupt than expected, and his “grand plans” weren’t communicated, and if they were, didn’t seem acted upon.
I find it shocking that Hasbro’s board allowed their new CEO to spend the last couple years, largely, dismantling the “media engine” Goldner had spent years building. While I had my criticisms about that direction, at least there seemed to be an “end goal”. Under Cocks, it feels like he doesn’t have a firm understanding of the traditional toy and game business, possibly lacked the imagination to see what the eOne assets provided, and seems to be following the same game plan video game companies are taking: shedding employees to satisfy short term shareholder goals.
Opting to announce lay offs a WEEK before Christmas does NOTHING to improve the general opinion many have of him and his management.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Cocks had solid numbers in his resume, but his brand experience may be too narrow. Goldner had a genuine enthusiasm for Hasbro's brands in general. It's one reason shareholders put up with his grandiose plans. You may have disagreed with his expensive methods sometimes, but if you bought into Hasbro thinking their real value lies in their brand portfolio, you knew he was on your side.

And Goldner was a lot more careful about not letting headlines like this happen. The man was one of a kind.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
"Tonight, you will be visited by three spirits..."
"We can make do with one, tell the other two that they're redundant and they're fired."
"Um..."
"But not till AFTER New Years, we don't want to seem heartless."
"Ok, forget it, look, we're just going to bring them all out and start RIGHT NOW..."

Shadewing

Citizen
I try and stay out of these sorts of discussions…but I have to agree here.
With Bob Chapek, he got dealt some bad cards for his run and he wasn’t able to handle them sufficiently. But he clearly seemed to have a passion for the company and I think he wasn’t the worst option. He was clearly in some of the “succession” plans which probably would have progressed fine…barring COVID and its ramifications.

Cocks? Unlike Brian Goldner he didn’t have a long term experience with traditional toys (which still makes up a major portion of Hasbro’s business). Chris Cocks comes from electronic gaming, a VASTLY different beasts than Hasbro’s fundamental pillars. And it’s pretty clear that there wasn’t a clear “plan” for succession. I think Goldner’s death was more abrupt than expected, and his “grand plans” weren’t communicated, and if they were, didn’t seem acted upon.
I find it shocking that Hasbro’s board allowed their new CEO to spend the last couple years, largely, dismantling the “media engine” Goldner had spent years building. While I had my criticisms about that direction, at least there seemed to be an “end goal”. Under Cocks, it feels like he doesn’t have a firm understanding of the traditional toy and game business, possibly lacked the imagination to see what the eOne assets provided, and seems to be following the same game plan video game companies are taking: shedding employees to satisfy short term shareholder goals.
Opting to announce lay offs a WEEK before Christmas does NOTHING to improve the general opinion many have of him and his management.

Yeah, I was talking the other day to some of my DnD friends; about this. How Cooks is kinda the main reason for all these recent issues and descisons, and how Goldner came off as a much better human being and businessman; Hasbro got a lot of attention for its humaniterian efforts when trying to conduct business while he was around. Goldner always seemed like he honestly cared about all branches and was trying to make all of them something special. Cocks just feels like he's trying to make the trains run on time, by any means.

Spin-Out

terminal shitposter
Citizen
The only thing I can really hold against Goldner is him betting so much on the Bayverse, which made bank at first but ended up hurting the franchise in the long run. And I don't think he was even the CEO when Hasbro signed the initial deal with the devil that led to Bay getting to direct the first movie.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It's hard to blame him for that. Shareholders would have revolted if he didn't ride the Bayverse as long as he could. It did make money beyond anyone's wildest expectations until it didn't.

And it was kinda his baby. His involvement goes back well before he became CEO.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
The only thing I can really hold against Goldner is him betting so much on the Bayverse, which made bank at first but ended up hurting the franchise in the long run. And I don't think he was even the CEO when Hasbro signed the initial deal with the devil that led to Bay getting to direct the first movie.
Even then, he saw the sinking ship and helped right things with Bumblebee. I’d also argue with the “long term franchise damage” since we’re still in a better spot than pre-movie…but that’s another discussion.

Top Bottom