Gobots Homage in "Guardians of the Galaxy - Holiday Special"

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
We discussed this in another thread but I couldn't remember which one (or where) and couldn't find a corresponding video clip at the time.

Here's the clip:

-

I wonder if it's a homage to how Cykill is always beaten up or killed in the IDW/DW comics?

Also, it seems to suggest that Gobots are officially in the be Marvel universe, as you can hear Mantis saying "Gobots killed his cousin"....

Last edited:

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
It's a weird reference, doubly so because, yeah, it kind of implies that Gobots are a part of the MCU (while Transformers actually were connected to Marvel comics at one time). And the line that "Gobots killed his cousin..." implies a backstory that seems to come out of nowhere.

That said, I think the consensus is that someone just really liked Gobots and worked the reference in there for a laugh...

NovaSaber

Citizen
It's a weird reference, doubly so because, yeah, it kind of implies that Gobots are a part of the MCU (while Transformers actually were connected to Marvel comics at one time). And the line that "Gobots killed his cousin..." implies a backstory that seems to come out of nowhere.
If you take it seriously, the combination of the costume and them being real also implies that they've already been seen on Earth in the MCU.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
If you take it seriously, the combination of the costume and them being real also implies that they've already been seen on Earth in the MCU.

I honestly wish I could take it seriously, and an MCU Gobots movie was going to be in the works...

...still, the scene has people talking about Gobots. That's sort of a positive, anyway.

Last edited:

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
It's not an homage, it's a cameo.
No, it's a homage or rather, my use of the term was correct.

Screenshot_20221214-140832.jpg

(Source: - https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/homage )

The scene debatably homaged the following:

Screenshot_20221214-141331.jpg

(Source: - https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Cy-Kill_(G1) )

Thus, I referred to the scene of Cykill being attacked, rather than the cameo or inclusion of the character.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I honestly wish I could take it seriously, and an MCU Gobots movie was going to be in the works...

...still, the scene has people talking about Gobots. That's sort of a positive, anyway.

Are we sure that Drax's cousin wasn't killed by a toy Gobot? Safety restrictions being looser in the past and all? Maybe the cousin choked on one of Cy-Kill's removable wheels.

Top Bottom