Giant images

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Back on the old site, there was a really great feature in which giant-sized images were always automatically shrunk down to a more manageable viewing size, but with the option to view the images in their original giant size by clicking on them. This feature was only used for embedded images, as attached images were instead always scaled down to clickable thumbnails that were similarly clickable to view their original size.

Since that feature seems to still be sorta in effect for attached images, is there a way that the same feature could be brought back for embedded images? I find myself having to zoom out the whole webpage in order to see certain giant pics in full view whenever anyone (myself included) posts large embedded images.

Guardian Prime

Veteran Allsparker
Citizen
Don't know if the auto-shrinking feature you describe is available in this new forum software, but I can help with this one.

After you've embedded an image for posting, click on it. You'll then have the option to scale the pic to whatever size you need, just grab a corner and drag. Also, press your shift key as you drag to preserve proper ratio.

Regardless of how small you adjust an image, the true size of the image can still be displayed after clicking on it in a completed post, just like on the old site.

Last edited:

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Back on the old site, there was a really great feature in which giant-sized images were always automatically shrunk down to a more manageable viewing size, but with the option to view the images in their original giant size by clicking on them. This feature was only used for embedded images, as attached images were instead always scaled down to clickable thumbnails that were similarly clickable to view their original size.

Since that feature seems to still be sorta in effect for attached images, is there a way that the same feature could be brought back for embedded images? I find myself having to zoom out the whole webpage in order to see certain giant pics in full view whenever anyone (myself included) posts large embedded images.
What are you using to view the forums on, or what topic are you having this issue with? I've checked some large image threads in mobile and on desktop and it seems to be auto resizing them to the window size like they're supposed to.

Guardian Prime

Veteran Allsparker
Citizen
Works fine on mobile for me as well, but I'm fairly certain @Sabrblade's issue is a desktop/laptop thing. Was for me in the beginning, too, when I first started posting pics with this new forum software. Yes, pics fit the page horizontily, but vertically is a different matter. You'd have to scroll down the page to view every part of a pic. But my suggestion above helps to remedy that.

I could be wrong and his issue may be different, but that's just what I ran into and learned how to fix. :)

Guardian Prime

Veteran Allsparker
Citizen
Thought I'd drop a quick example here. Happens more with long pics.

Not manually scaled version...

deii4t6-153b7905-a2f9-4002-8184-e06bcb281849.png

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I still don't know what the issue is - in either case the image doesn't exceed my screen size, it matches it.

screensize.png

Guardian Prime

Veteran Allsparker
Citizen
Unless scrolling down is an issue? I think I see what you're saying now. Sort of.
It's the scrolling thing. People want to see the whole pic (or at least as much as possible) in one shot. Then have the option to click on it to view in original size for more detail.

Looks like you did an attachment instead of an embedded pic.
Was just about to say that. :)

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
It's the scrolling thing. People want to see the whole pic (or at least as much as possible) in one shot. Then have the option to click on it to view in original size for more detail.
Preferably without having to manually re-size each pic ourselves, but knowing that that's an option does help this situation if the auto-shrinking request is not doable on this new forum.

DoubleClutch

it's EPIC, in MY mind...
Citizen
I got a question (namely due to my lack of understanding how to best post), with the images I post i.e. DoubleClutch comic, is it better to add image as an attachment and use the thumbnail feature? or should I be embedding the image from my Deviant art page. or. am I totally clueless in my question and sound like a gibbering noob.

Guardian Prime

Veteran Allsparker
Citizen
I got a question (namely due to my lack of understanding how to best post), with the images I post i.e. DoubleClutch comic, is it better to add image as an attachment and use the thumbnail feature? or should I be embedding the image from my Deviant art page. or. am I totally clueless in my question and sound like a gibbering noob.
In your case, I think it just depends on your preference. Test both options to see which fits best for you.

This is just me, but I've rarely posted via attachment. I usually only reserve that for when I need to post something directly from my computer not art related. Otherwise, I've always preferred the embedding method, especially when posting images from other image/art sites.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
View attachment 152
In your case, I think it just depends on your preference. Test both options to see which fits best for you.

This is just me, but I've rarely posted via attachment. I usually only reserve that for when I need to post something directly from my computer not art related. Otherwise, I've always preferred the embedding method, especially when posting images from other image/art sites.
That used to be taboo because people would freak out because "ur stealin muh bandwitdh!!!1212!!!11"

Top Bottom