Game Systems And Disk And Digital Games

wentwood

Citizen
Here's what I've noticed with disk games.

Most of the time you need to buy 5 systems as there may not be any backward compadability.

I tend to let each system be it's own thing.

This is possibly why old system games don't work digitally on the new system so a lot of the time you have to leave previous games on the old system.

This is why I own a lot of PS 2 games.

So my plan is to possibly play each game on the system it was released for which is why I own a PS 2 on it's own. Also a PS 3 on it's own.

It's not a cash thing but it's actually a disk software issue.

This happened with Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 when they redid it on PS 3. I own both on PS 2.

I got lucky with Tomb Raider on PS 2.

Last edited:

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
Well, the thing is, things like the classics you can download via PS+ premium show that the systems are capable of playing the games. It's just a matter of reading the disc. PC, Playstation 2, Gamecube etc. could all play Tomb Raider Legend. But they couldn't exactly read each others disks.

You can play a good chunk of Final Fantasy on just the PS4/5. The only thing is...you'd have to buy them again, which I think is kind of the plan. Oh! You want to play Twilight Princess! Brand new for the Game Cube. Oh, you still want to play it on the Wii? That's no problem. Just buy it again! Oh, for the Wii U? Check it out! We now have it in HD. Uh...yeah, you have to buy it again.

Unfortunately, that's kinda how the industry works. Don't even ask how many versions of Ocarina of Time I own.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Well, the thing is, things like the classics you can download via PS+ premium show that the systems are capable of playing the games. It's just a matter of reading the disc.
This is inaccurate, I'm sorry.

The PS4 and PS5 are not natively capable of playing games from previous generations of PlayStation (well the PS5 can play the majority of PS4 games, think there's like 5 that don't work or something), so it's not as simple as 'if they could read the discs, you could play your old PS2 games on your shiny new PS5'.

Sure, there are a number of PS1, PS2, and PSP games available for download if you have PS+ Premium (discounting the PS3 games here since those are only available via cloud streaming), 57 to be exact. But the thing is, none of these games are being played natively on your hardware, they're all being emulated.

And that's where the big catch is: emulation.

Like this might sound crazy considering the age of the hardware, but the PS2 is still regarded as one of the most difficult consoles to emulate because of its complex hardware that even developers making games for the PS2 would sometimes struggle to work with. Hell, there's literally 49 PlayStation 2 games that don't work or have issues when played on the slim PS2 models. Yeah games made for the system that have problems when running on later versions of the same hardware, that should tell you about the PS2 and its hardware complexity.

Like the PCSX2 emulator exists for PCs and can run the vast majority of PS2 games (according to the compatibility list, 99.15% of all PS2 games are playable on the emulator). That probably seems like I've defeated my own point, if PS2 emulation is so difficult, why can this emulator run nearly all PS2 games? Well, it's emulating PS2 games perfectly that's the difficult part. Pretty much every game you can emulate on PCSX2 can be played but only a handful run perfectly without any graphical bugs or any other issues that may require you to use speed hacks, switching to software rendering mode, etc.

And that's all stuff that's acceptable when talking about an entirely free and open-source emulator, but that's not exactly acceptable when talking about an official emulator, y'know?

So instead, Sony has to basically do per-game tweaking for every PS2 game they'd want to put on the service (and that's not even including things like licensing for third-party games) and that costs time and money. (And the big elephant in the room is that Sony's PS1, PS2, and PSP emulators ain't that good to begin with. Like, I obviously don't know how you feel about it, maybe it doesn't bother you - but it is objectively pretty poor for a variety of reasons, so it's doubtful Sony would ever spend the time and money on developing a 'perfect' PS2 emulator so you could play all your old PS2 games. I'm not even going to mention PS1 and PSP games considering that even if Sony had absolutely flawless and perfect PS1 and PSP emulators, neither the PS4 or PS5 can read CDs and obviously they can't read UMDs - so you'd still be SOL on that front)

And please don't get me started on PS3 emulation, there's a reason Sony doesn't even offer PS3 games outside of their cloud streaming thing.

(Of course wanting people to keep spending money is also part of it, so you are right on that front, they ain't exactly gonna be making money if you could just play your old discs instead of selling you the new remastered versions of these classic games, but it's also not as simple as 'they could run these games if they could read the discs', y'know?)

In an ideal world though, Sony's backwards compatibility would be on the level of Microsoft's. You can play 633 of the 1083 Xbox 360 games and 63 of 996 original Xbox games on both the Xbox One and Xbox Series X/S and it's literally just 'You own this backwards compatible game on disc? Cool, just pop your disc in and it'll download it to your console's hard drive and you can play - just remember you need to get the game disc in the drive to play. It's a digital game? Cool, you can just go ahead and install it and play it.'

And in an ideal ideal world, Microsoft's backwards compatibility would encompass all 360 and original Xbox games, but you know rights issues, technical issues, and stuff like that. It's why they've stopped adding new games but like that's still a ton more classic games than Sony offers lol.

wentwood

Citizen
That's why I own a PS 2 and 3.

I have the next chapter games I need on PS 3 continued from PS 2.

I had filled in a lot of main line franchise games having missed one Castle Vainia game on PS 2.

Contra has 2 games on PS 1 I want to get.

The PS Mini managed to emulate the PS 1 aces. That was cool.

Tm_Silverclaw

Citizen
I just want to note... that a PS2 game supposedly playable on the PS5 runs so badly on it... they tell you to stream the game instead.

wentwood

Citizen
Here's one

Games released on PS4 are playable for PS 5 but they tell you to upgrade your system.

So my line of thinking with this would by default be forced to stay behind on the previous system.

You can't bring old games to the new system which I find a bit idiotic.

So it forces you to finish the games on previous systems before the next new game deck comes out.

This is why I'm catching up on the PS 2 era games on PS 2.

On the PS3 I played the main next chapter games I needed to.

I will at some point need to finish Final Fantasy XIII and Ninja Gaiden Sigma trilogy on a different system.

I do have Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition on Digital.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
What are you even talking about.

Like seriously this isn't me joking, I genuinely can't tell what you're trying to say here.

wentwood

Citizen
The Switch , XBox 1 a, the Wii , PS3 forward have all had overheat problems.

I might try the later installments on a computer or laptop.

I have a PS 2 Slim and have had few over heat problems.

So I want to play games on a system that's not likely to have those issues.

Tm_Silverclaw

Citizen
The PS2 had numerous numerous disk drive issues on early models that made many people by multiple versions of the system.

Take off those Rose tinted glasses, they are obviously making it impossible for you to actually comprehend situations.

wentwood

Citizen
Well it's the overheat issues mainly.

I have the PS Mini which doesn't have the loud fan issue.

The larger systems have those problems mostly.

Right now I'm playing Final Fantasy IV on I Pad. Also Final Fantasy V.

Top Bottom