G.I. Joe thread - 07/25/2024: Haslab Rattler, Road Pig, Raptor and more

TriBlurr

Citizen
According to Its Chad on YouTube. Who I've been told is a reliable source.

A new Classified vehicle price point of $150 - $200 range is coming. With the following vehicles in the Pipeline for 2024/2025

Thundermachine
Snowcat

Take with a grain of salt for now.

Dake

Citizen
Of all the things to start a line like that with? Maybe they're saving a MOBAT or Mauler for the next Haslab.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
I was trying to think which Joe vehicles they could do that are "iconic" to me.

They've done the Joe Cycle, Vamp, Trouble Bubble...

The Fang copter, Cobra Glider and That white cobra Robot Armor were big with me as a kid.

And like Everything else I can think of that means something to me are too big for retail at Classified Scale:

Skystriker, Rattler, Nightraven, Eaglehawk Copter, Hovercraft, Love the Battleforce 2000 jet, the Battle Platform...

And then the Nuts stuff. I had the mobile command center, and the terror drome and the shuttle complex and the Flagg as a kid but none of those are ever happening for Classified.

-ZacWilliam, vehicles were very important for Joe so I'm a little surprised to find it's the small ones and the bases that I tend to actually care about in retrospect.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Of all the things to start a line like that with? Maybe they're saving a MOBAT or Mauler for the next Haslab.
I think even Hasbro was a bit surprised at the success of the HasLab vehicles, and that’s what is giving rise to GI Joe, effectively, getting a Titan caliber product category. I think that price point (and vehicles like the Thunder Machine, Snowcat, Slugger, Water Mocassin, STUN, Wolf, etc) hits a LOT of the major icons of the vehicle line.
But I think tanks (at least ones measuring up to the quality of the existing line up) definitely bumps the price above $200.

I like the selections, though. The Dreadnoks have always been a popular subset, and by next fall (at the earliest), Hasbro will have hit most of the core Noks and the Thunder Machine helps tie them all together. The Snowcat is one of the few “distinctly GI Joe original” designs from the line’s peak. Like the HISS, the Snowcat doesn’t have a real world analog and is a distinct “heroic GI Joe” vehicle. By 2025, we’ll probably also have Alpine and a few “winter ops” redeco/retool figures to supplement Snow Job and the two Cobra offerings.
I was trying to think which Joe vehicles they could do that are "iconic" to me.

They've done the Joe Cycle, Vamp, Trouble Bubble...

The Fang copter, Cobra Glider and That white cobra Robot Armor were big with me as a kid.

And like Everything else I can think of that means something to me are too big for retail at Classified Scale:

Skystriker, Rattler, Nightraven, Eaglehawk Copter, Hovercraft, Love the Battleforce 2000 jet, the Battle Platform...

And then the Nuts stuff. I had the mobile command center, and the terror drome and the shuttle complex and the Flagg as a kid but none of those are ever happening for Classified.

-ZacWilliam, vehicles were very important for Joe so I'm a little surprised to find it's the small ones and the bases that I tend to actually care about in retrospect.
Eh, I Feel much the same. The smaller vehicles were always easier to play with, and the best mid-sized stuff were the ones that ”played well” with multiple figures. Same was true of play sets, as they offered fuel for scenarios and incorporated venues for multiple figures. As nice as the big stuff was, I found many of them were more cumbersome to play with than they were often worth.
With all the focus on vehicles, I hope Hasbro doesn’t forget the “scenario sets” like the old Battlefield accessories or Battlestations.

Something else It’s Chad remarked on was the return of “modern construction” 4 inch GI Joe figures. HIS information was along the lines of Pursuit of Cobra/50th type product line either as a Fan Channel offering or a Subscription Service.
I’m not a fan of ANY of that. To me, it’s retreading the same missteps we saw just a few years ago with Retro 4”. I don’t feel the 4” Joe market is in a position to support the range of products being directed to it, and among the GI Joe fandom, Classified has clearly become a dominant element.
My gut feeling is that Hasbro is going to basically “start over”, meaning we’ll get redos of the same characters we’ve gotten plenty of in that scale, at a premium pricing. Star Wars might have enough collector momentum to support 6 and 3.75” collector lines, but I don’t feel GI Joe does. At TVC pricing ($15+), the notoriously cheap Joe fandom is going to be reluctant to support any initiative like that. Especially with HIYA and Super7 offering products in a similar price AND scale. I just don’t see enough of a market to support ALL of that ON TOP of Classified.

I’d much rather see Hasbro put its focus into a nice little kids line like the Epic Hero initiative. If Jazwares can release a 4”, super articulated action figure with a couple accessories for $10 under Fortnite, surely Hasbro can do something similar with GI Joe. Who knows, though. Maybe THAT is what Hasbro is working on and someone got confused, since the Marvel Epic Hero figures do, indeed, use modern construction techniques. Just not to the extreme that was seen back during 2010.

Dake

Citizen
Hiya Toys is doing the 4" segment, so it's tough to imagine Hasbro doing that too (though I guess the US doesn't necessarily have easy access to that line).

That being said, there are early 25th ME figures that still haven't really been redone "properly". It'd be funny if they started doing animation versions at 4" similar to S7's Ultimates line.

Lobjob

Citizen
I mean, Classified is as popular as it is because they are great sculpts and there's no other joe product available. Its been years since GI Joe was this prominent.

BUT...you glance at Ebay and Instagram and 3.75 to 4inch joes are still all over the place. Joytoy, Bossfight Studios, the 1/18ish scale is still the scale most people have in their collection. O-ring or modern construction figures selling for under thirty (i still hope for lesser. I mean, Fortnite 4 inch manages to be like ten dollars. Come on) would find their market. As one of those people, I hope they do it.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Forgot the S.H.A.R.C. I would maybe go for that at classifies scale.

-ZacWilliam, that got a lot of play as a kid since it could be an air or water vehicle.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
I mean, Classified is as popular as it is because they are great sculpts and there's no other joe product available. Its been years since GI Joe was this prominent.

BUT...you glance at Ebay and Instagram and 3.75 to 4inch joes are still all over the place. Joytoy, Bossfight Studios, the 1/18ish scale is still the scale most people have in their collection. O-ring or modern construction figures selling for under thirty (i still hope for lesser. I mean, Fortnite 4 inch manages to be like ten dollars. Come on) would find their market. As one of those people, I hope they do it.
Yeah, I am definitely one of the 3-3/4 die-hards. I have the Classified B.A.T.S. because B.A.T.S., but I can't invest in a Joe line that has to reinvent every single vehicle and accessory I already have (and at higher prices than I am willing to budget for). Plus, I have the additional consideration of how much fun the 5 year old will have playing with it; his uncles have already started growing his Joe collection, and 3-3/4 is just that sweet spot of big enough to have some detail but small enough that little hands can handle even the larger vehicles without difficulty.
There's plenty of affordable 3-3/4 to 4 inch stuff on the market; it can be done.

Lobjob

Citizen
Yeah, I snagged a Roadblock, Scarlett and a Python Patrol Crimson Guard (because...gorgeous) but buying all the guys I basically own, but bigger, is just not something I'm doing. The jump from o-ring to 25th Anniversary and beyond were one thing, because of all the articulation but I've longed for 3 3/4s for so long I've circled back to o-ring in a major way. I've scoured ebay and dove in to independant, custom runs to grow my already ridiculous collection. Seeing Super 7 pursuing that route in an official capacity has me all kinds of excited, especially since i adore the cartoon. There are lots of people I know who feel the same.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
I'll clarify my position on 4" later but...
Walmart has GI Joe stuff on sale, including the WM exclusive Alley Viper
Crimson Alley Viper- 11.97
Retro Baroness- 7.97
Retro Lady Jane- 4.97(!)
Retro Destro- 14.97
Snake Eyes and Timber (2023 version)- 22.00
Retro Stalker (4")- 4.97
Crimson Viper- 11.97

There are also several Walmart exclusives like Shooter, Tunnel Rat and Retro Crimson Guard available, though not always appearing on searches and not on sale.

Last edited:

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
Tomorrow’s reveals got leaked a little early
In package shot of Retro Recondo, promo shots of the next wave, due to feature Big Boa, Airborne, TechnoViper and Quick Kick.

Recondo is…Recondo. Looks mostly like a repaint of the Tiger Force version, as expected. Doesn’t do much for me, “my” Recondo was the Tiger Force version and I think the TF version has more visual pop than the original to begin with.

We’ve seen Big Boa and Airborne, nothing new to say there. Our first “production level” look at the TechnoViper in classic colors. For such a dopey looking vintage figure, Hasbro’s later iterations have really knocked it out of the park. Not sure what that red accessory is, though.
Quick Kick turned out pretty well, and the accessory compliment is particularly well executed with multiple hands, head and the “throwing star” effects piece. HUGE shout out to the inclusion of the fudgy bar!

Steevy Maximus

Citizen

I have ZERO issues with a 4” GI Joe line.
The issue I DO have is that (based on the context of the rumors), is with a “GI joe Vintage Collection”. I’m not sure it is good for the brand to be “slicing up” its collector base on Hasbro’s front. Moreover, after seeing how Hasbro handles Star Wars TVC in terms of investment and how the most recent Modern 4” figures fared at retail (or, faring, since I can still buy the last couple waves for retail or less), I would MUCH rather see Hasbro leave the collector centric 4” product to companies far more invested in the brand.

4”/1:18/10cm figures are popular, I see a LOT of collectors clamoring for more 4” Joes, BUT…Does anyone really remember that last decade of 4” GI Joe figures? Questionable QC, wonky distribution, wonkier part reuse, tons of repaints/reruns…50th and Retro O-ring were not the brand’s shining moments. I’m “feeling” too many shades of TVC’s return, where it seemed the presentation seemed to be more important than the product, and Hasbro certainly charged for it. I just don’t feel that Hasbro is willing to commit the resources to produce a line that meets the expectations of fans from the prior ME lines or who have been partaking in the quality of product specialty manufacturers are able to put out at the moment.

I would be TOTALLY on board with an “All Ages” 4” line at mass retail with decently articulated figures for $10 with a modest selection of small vehicles. But “GI Joe Vintage Collection” with $16.99 and up figures with occasional $50-100 vehicles doesn’t excite me.

TriBlurr

Citizen
Today's Reveals:

Name Only:
Starduster
Nemesis Immortal (Enforcer)
Zandar
Leatherneck

Pre-orders:
Big Boa
Techno-Viper
Quick Kick
Airborne
Retro Recondo
Retro Scarlett
Retro Duke
60th Action Soldier
60th Action Sailor

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Gonna have to preorder Techno viper.

I'm thrilled they are doing Nemesis Enforcer. Always loved that toy. Hope he looks awesome.

-ZacWilliam, I can't believe it's taking them so long to get to Sci-Fi, he's easily my most wanted Classified figure...

electricidad

Citizen
My HISS Tank is on its way! Should be here Monday.

Haven’t ordered any of today’s releases yet. The more I see of the 60th anniversary soldier, the harder it is to say no. That’s a great-looking figure in one of the best release waves.

I finally had the time this week to open Buzzer and Ripper. What a dichotomy in figures! Buzzer falls over constantly as I pose him with his saw. I gave up fiddling with his sunglasses and glued them on his head. I finally got him to stand on his own by using the saw as a third leg.

Ripper, however, is freaking great! He’s a nice big dude, he can hold his jaws of life without tipping over, and his glasses just stay snug on his head. If you only get one, get Ripper.

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
I wonder what type of wings Nemesis Enforcer (Immortal?) will be like. In the movie they were bat wings, but the toy I had as a kod had these weird vine-like things in the vague shape of wings.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
The original toy came with both.

I was just wondering myself if they'd bother with the second option. My gut is that it's probably just be toy mounted bay wings like in pretty much all the media.

CF8888BA-BFFE-464A-9B23-E3E55C1E8236.jpeg

UNLESS they are trying to pad out a deluxe figure set to charge more. Then I could see both.

-ZacWilliam, I always loved this figure so I do hope they do it justice. Sometimes I get real picky about toys I loved as a kid. No modern Spikor ever really works for me.

Dake

Citizen
My HISS arrived yesterday and I didn't even know it was coming. I got a shipping notification for Deathsaurus, and another for R5-D4, but nothing for the tank. I'm going to have a bunch of stuff to open when I'm back in town from vacation!

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
The original toy came with both.

I was just wondering myself if they'd bother with the second option. My gut is that it's probably just be toy mounted bay wings like in pretty much all the media.

View attachment 18136

UNLESS they are trying to pad out a deluxe figure set to charge more. Then I could see both.

-ZacWilliam, I always loved this figure so I do hope they do it justice. Sometimes I get real picky about toys I loved as a kid. No modern Spikor ever really works for me.
Huh.. I mustve lost the bat wings fast then.

Got the shipping notice for the HISS tank. I only really want it for the figures and plan on selling the tank ans Cobra Commander.

Top Bottom