G.I. Joe thread - 07/25/2024: Haslab Rattler, Road Pig, Raptor and more

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
I like the fact that a new character breaks into one of Cobra's secret business meetings as a job audition and CC is like "Sure! Ok, you're in." And immediately assigns them to the division that shoots them with a weird pulp science "laser" that infuses them with the genetic(?) mystical (?) "essence" of a snake for nebulous snake-based stealth powers.

Real good encapsulation of how Cobra works right there.

-ZacWilliam, Python Patrol is batshit Sunbow magic and I love that.

Lobjob

Citizen
I broke down and bought a Classified Crimson Guard Python Patrol guy in person. He is beautiful but I cant make a habit of this.

Unless I come across an Alley Viper...

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
So, I guess Renegade Games not only announced a Transformers themed version of RoBo Rally, but a new GI Joe board game using Axis and Allies as a foundation. Called GI Joe: Battle for the Arctic Circle

TriBlurr

Citizen
New leaked images of the yet to be revealed Walmart Exclusive Nightforce Parth "Wolf Spider" Varma.

This is a new character to the Joe franchise. The name I believe implies and Indian background.
1000002225.jpg
1000002222.jpg
1000002224.jpg
1000002221.jpg

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
I love that they did a new person, and cool name. Don't think I personally need him though. I'm really more into the less "realistic army" Joes and Cobra the most. This guys just a step too "Generic Army Man" to sell me.

-ZacWilliam, give him like glow in the dark or UV paint, or a robot spider pet or something he'd be more my deal.

TriBlurr

Citizen
From what I've heard from those more in the know with joe. He was originally going to be a generic Trooper. But they thought he looked cool enough to be a new character instead.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
Make them in 3-3/4" o-ring, and they're bought. I just can't justify the price or space for Classified that aren't B.A.T.s. (or B.A.A.T.s, those would be cool)

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
YO JOE!

We're getting a beat-em-up game in the style of TMNT Shredder's Revenge. We get, like...5 seconds of actual game footage in this trailer, but still I'm kind of looking forward to this. I'm enjoying this return of beat em up games for retro shows, like Toxic Crusaders and the like.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
The game itself looks promising although neither the animation in the commercial nor the game look as polished and pretty as the TMNT beatemup.

-ZacWilliam, that said I'd take a TF one. (And a He-man one. And Thundercats. And Silverhawks. And Visionaries. And...)

Blot

Citizen
That trailer is dire. I wasn't expecting the Toxic Crusaders to feel like the game that would have a budget put into it.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
In fairness, the game isn’t set for release until 2024, in regards to some complaints.

That said, this isn’t really “hyping me up” like it should have. Not just from the presentation, but from the fact I’ve NEVER viewed GI Joe as a franchise terribly well suited to the “belt beater” style of gameplay. The very nature of that gameplay style limits the possibilities for the team, vehicle, and weapon usage which I feel are integral to the GI joe experience. Given the general quality of projects from Maple Powered Games and Freedom Games…it almost feels like they were wanting to do some retro beat ‘em up to piggyback on the success of Shredder’s Revenge, and just shopped around until they found a license that they could afford and/or was available. And that happened to be GI joe.

I’ve always maintained that GI Joe is probably best suited to some sort of action gunner (which we’ve gotten from Blackout) or an XCom-style tactics RPG. I mean, this looks fine. But, again, it feels like Hasbro was just wanting another GI Joe game and the developer and publisher apparently met Hasbro’s time or budget restrictions.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I’ve always maintained that GI Joe is probably best suited to some sort of action gunner
You mean kind of like the GI Joe Arcade game?
...I just wanted a excuse to bring up the arcade game. I'm not sure if a lot of people know about or remember it. There's a LOT of arcade games that are just not that well known.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
A GI Joe machine was a fixture at Family Fun Center arcade in Omaha for years. Wish I knew what happened to that machine when it closed for good...

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
You mean kind of like the GI Joe Arcade game?
...I just wanted an excuse to bring up the arcade game. I'm not sure if a lot of people know about or remember it. There's a LOT of arcade games that are just not that well known.
To be honest, I had never heard of the Arcade game until well into the 2000s. I never really had a “good arcade” when I was young in 92, and pretty much the extent of arcade coverage from magazines was all about Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat.

Top Bottom