Finishing IDW1 comics

msol

Citizen
So a few years back my Local Comic Shop up and gave up selling comics. Decided to focus on card games and whatever. Last issue of Lost Light I got was Issue 12, which wrapped up the Mutineers Trilogy. I'd grown pretty bored with LL so I didn't bother finding another LCS to keep up with things. I was also reading Optimus Prime at the time, but I have no idea where that would have ended. Would have been the same month.

Anyways a local guy is selling me his Unicron TPB seen here https://www.amazon.com/Transformers-Unicron-John-Barber/dp/1684054230 and I'm hoping someone here can tell me what I need to read to prepare for this. Was the Unicron book after LL ended, or simultaneous to it. I *really* have no interest in the other Revolution series, so if they tie into this somehow I would love a summary or something like that. This Unicron book *does* end IDW1, right? I've only been mildly spoiled about Rung, but don't really know much.

Also, hi! Nice to be back on the board.

Salt-Man Z

that is not dead which can eternal lie
Citizen
It's actually Optimus Prime #25 that effectively ends the first IDWverse, and Unicron is pretty firmly intertwined with the end of that series (which itself is tied tightly to the Hasbroverse crossovers.) Lost Light never actually interacts with the post-Revolution "Phase Three" at all.

Cradok

Citizen
Yeah, in order to understand everything in Unicron, you have to have read basically everything bar Lost LIght and Wreckers. A lot of the seeds were set up in the various Hasbroverse crossovers. You can safely ignore MASK and Micronauts, though. Yay(!)

msol

Citizen
Woof. Okay. Well I hope I'm not wasting my money, then. So does LL relate to the Unicron comic at all?

Magnusblitz

Citizen
The final issue of Lost Light is a big coda that has some scenes shortly after the end of the main story, and then some way off in the future, so it does reference things that happen in Unicron and Optimus Prime (and arguably 'spoiled' some bits, because LL #25 was released before Unicron #6 and OP #25). But most of LL was basically doing its own thing completely separate from all the Barber stuff.

msol

Citizen
Last question, then I'll just read it. Without spoilers, I thought Rung was important to the Unicron stuff. I guess not?

SHIELD Agent 47

Citizen
Anyways a local guy is selling me his Unicron TPB seen here https://www.amazon.com/Transformers-Unicron-John-Barber/dp/1684054230 and I'm hoping someone here can tell me what I need to read to prepare for this. Was the Unicron book after LL ended, or simultaneous to it. I *really* have no interest in the other Revolution series, so if they tie into this somehow I would love a summary or something like that. This Unicron book *does* end IDW1, right? I've only been mildly spoiled about Rung, but don't really know much.
With respect to the artist, that was a terrible cover choice for the TPB.

Just, why?

Andrusi

Lun!
Citizen
Last question, then I'll just read it. Without spoilers, I thought Rung was important to the Unicron stuff. I guess not?
To put this as nonspoilerily as possible, it's pretty clear that James Roberts planned his grand finale without the knowledge that it would be running opposite something along the lines of John Barber's grand finale and vice versa, and as a result they ended up drawing a few elements from the same well, such that Rung is involved in some things happening in LL that you probably would have expected to be associated with events in the Unicron mini (but aren't).

Top Bottom